Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
before windows 95 we only have windows 3

or like macos 3? or unix maybe. maybe IBM made one

but when billy gates dropped this... the world would never be the same again

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
actually, it sbeos

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

OP isn't wrong, except the change was that it made computing permanently awful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ios

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

chad smith double fisting those win95 upgrades

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you thinking of windows 8, OP?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Origin posted:

chad smith double fisting those win95 upgrades

I think about this a lot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
back before windows 95 launched, Microsoft had a marketing poster for it with the tag line “DOS is dead”, featuring an image of a tombstone with “C:\” on it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick as gently caress

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

atomicthumbs posted:

actually, it sbeos

i think youre right. beos was basically a clone of macosx, and i remember reading that gcc worked on the posix system in beos way back in the 90s.

beos had an intuitive user interface with strong multimedia capabilities that had a unix compatable subsystem about 5 years before the first osx was released. it was thoroughly eaten by microsoft and apple though

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

BeOS was cool because one of the design goals was "pervasive multithreading" meaning that the all the BeOS APIs more or less forced you to split your application into separate threads for handling user input, redrawing the screen and whatever internal processing you were doing.

Combined with multiprocessor support and preemptive multithreading in the kernel this made even the worst garbage programs feel extremely snappy and was pretty drat amazing back in 2001.

If they had focused more on multiuser support and a tcp/ip stack worth a drat I think they could have still been around.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
be was a great OS way ahead of its time design-wise. it also had no shot of ever catching on. this was in the full-on anti-competitive Windows bundling agreement days where PC makers couldn’t ship any other OS without paying Microsoft. There were no applications for it. it had a broken web browser, which was THE thing to have in the late 90’s. it had a mediocre third party word processor. no games. very limited hardware support (no modems worked with it)

if they had a real budget to work on it and they could get past the Microsoft bundling hurdle (they couldn’t), they might have had a chance. they were dumb not to sell to Apple but also did the world a huge favor by not doing so.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also Be’s position on the fragile base class problem was “we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it” which isn’t exactly great for maintaining binary compatibility as a system evolves over the long term

ObjC was very much NeXT’s secret weapon in that area because even though the old runtime still wouldn’t let you add ivars, you could add methods to a class at a whim, and also only expose to developers those methods you wanted to make available as API

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

r u ready to WALK posted:

OP isn't wrong, except the change was that it made computing permanently awful

as it should be

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that be file system though, still no other desktop os has anything like it

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
No one's gonna post Jennifer aniston and Matthew Perry.avi
We can call it that now because windows 95 supports long filenames

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
YOSPOS~1.BIT

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna know how cool that be filesystem was

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Millstone posted:

No one's gonna post Jennifer aniston and Matthew Perry.avi
We can call it that now because windows 95 supports long filenames

friends as a tv show gave me many hours of entetrtaintements

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Millstone posted:

YOSPOS~1.BIT

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
windows 95 is just a fancy dos shell op

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

probably more the other ios

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
windows 95 came out in '96

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Microsoft called the fourth windows Windows 95.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

wanna know how cool that be filesystem was

it was bad, OP

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
click start to stop the computer

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
windows 95 changing the face of computing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Millstone posted:

YOSPOS~1.BIT

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's now safe to turn off your computer.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

it was bad, OP

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Windows 3.1 to 95 was an increase of 91.9.

Or even more amazingly, a 2964% gain.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Windows 30000.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

wide stance posted:

Windows 3.1 to 95 was an increase of 91.9.

Or even more amazingly, a 2964% gain.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
just go on down to Raymond Chen's blog and get lost in some lovely old winders trivia. just have some fun wandering through old memories. good times

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yep.

windows changed nothing, contributed nothing, is toxic and associated with broken poo poo, has languished and shits itself of any marginally regained credibility after every other release. its generally afailure OP.

NeXT and its descendants macOS,iOS, etc reign supreme. silver star for android for lugging linux into millions of exploding chunks of plastic. that is also quite an accomplishment, OP.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and yet.. more meaningful poo poo gets done on windows in any given day of the year compared to any other p[eratina sysmte

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
they skipped windows 9 bcos it woild have been too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
actually op its AmigaOS 1.0

• Locked thread