Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does chaining iterators count as fp? cuz i do that all the time in rust and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
=sum(a:a)/count(a:a)

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
point free = very maintainab le and easy to read

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i was taking a programming languages class in college, where they reviewed different paradigms including oop, functional, and logic programming. the functional part was done in ML and took up most of the class. about 90% of the students hated it, or at least didn't get it, and couldn't wait to go back to java. i was in the 10% that loved it! ended up doing an fp undergrad research project with the prof of that class, which helped me get into grad school :shobon:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

my dude functional programming has been around as long as C has had function pointers

this doesn't really count because, while you can pass around pointers to existing functions (defined statically at the top level of a source file), you can't create functions at runtime with closure over their environment, which is pretty essential to fp techniques. the lack of parametric polymorphism is also very painful

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i was taking a programming languages class in college, where they reviewed different paradigms including oop, functional, and logic programming. the functional part was done in ML and took up most of the class. about 90% of the students hated it, or at least didn't get it, and couldn't wait to go back to java. i was in the 10% that loved it! ended up doing an fp undergrad research project with the prof of that class, which helped me get into grad school :shobon:

I did a coursera programming languages course that starts with ML and I hated it for a while but I assumed it was mostly because of the static typing. I was definitely not used to it back then. But now that I think about it, I guess it was more than just that, it was the whole "humbling" experience of learning functional programming that got to me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Symbolic Butt posted:

I did a coursera programming languages course that starts with ML and I hated it for a while but I assumed it was mostly because of the static typing. I was definitely not used to it back then. But now that I think about it, I guess it was more than just that, it was the whole "humbling" experience of learning functional programming that got to me.

for me the static typing was the best part, as i got used to the ML type system it was just like yes Yes YES why isn't everything like this, it's so simple

i can see how today's student of a "more mainstream" fp language like haskell or scala might feel very differently, though...

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

0x1991BABE posted:

point free = very maintainab le and easy to read

point free / paren free sucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
typed this up for some reason:

For the last week or so I've been working on an elastic search client (really just a wrapper for the java library) in Scala.
The main motivation is that the most popular Scala Elastic Search library returns a scala.concurrent.Future, but our code
uses twitter.util.Future, and we have to convert between the two. Which isn't the end of the world, but it's annoying
and requires adding work to a thread pool when it's really not necessary. Also I really dislike the fancy dsl exposed by
the popular library (elastic4s); the official ES library is much easier to use and I'd rather just use that, even though
it relies on mutable builders which are not functional.

The only problem with using the java library directly is that it returns an ActionListener (or ResponseListener if you're using the low
level client) object for all of its asynchronous calls -- they're basically just promise wrappers around nio's async http
client. So we wanted a wrapper that accepts the standard Elastic Search query builders but returns a Twitter Future, rather
than an action listener/response listener.

Here's the (simplified) signature of the ES Java async Http API:

code:
public void performRequestAsync(String method, String endpoint, String body, ResponseListener responseListener)
(The actual interface is sane and takes an HttpEntity instead of a string parameter called body, but I'm simplifying things).

Wrapping this in a Twitter Future is not difficult:
code:
class ElasticClient(javaClient: JavaElasticSearchClient) {
  def performRequestAsync(method: String, endpoint: String, body: Option[String]): TwitterFuture[Response] = {
    val promise = new TwitterPromise[Response]() 
    val listener = new ResponseListener {
      override def onFailure(e: Exception): Unit = promise.setException(e)
      override def onSuccess(response: Response): Unit = promise.setValue(response)
    }
    body match {
        case Some(b) => javaClient.performRequestAsync(method, endpoint, b, listener)
        case None => javaClient.performRequestAsync(method, endpoint, listener)
    }
    promise // Promise <: Future, which is why we can return it here.
  }
}
You can see how we simply register callbacks on the listener object that in turn sets the value or exception
within the promise.

However, we're type-safe functional programmers and we'd like to provide a type-safe interface that prevents us
from making mistakes such as passing a `GET` with a body. Let's define a few classes to encapsulate the standard requests.

code:
case class Request(method: String, endpoint: String, body: Option[String])
case class Get(endpoint: String)
case class Post(endpoint: String, body: String)
case class Delete(endpoint: String) 
// etc...
Now we could change performRequestAsync so that it accepts a request, and then overload:
code:
    def performRequestAsync(javaClient: JavaElasticSearchClient, request: Request): Future[Response] {
        // the same as above
    }

def performRequestAsync(javaClient: JavaElasticSearchClient, request: Get): Future[Response] {
        performRequestAsync(Request("GET", request.endpoint))
    }
However, overloading is considered poor scala form for reasons that aren't very exciting. We can use typeclasses instead:

code:
trait AsyncRequest[Req] {
    def performRequestAsync[Req]: Future[Response]
}

object AsyncRequest {
    implicit object RequestAsyncRequest extends AsyncRequest[Request] {
        def performRequestAsync(javaClient: JavaElasticSearchClient, request: Request): Future[Response] = {
               }
            }
            body match {
                case Some(b) => javaClient.performRequestAsync(method, endpoint, b, listener)
                case None => javaClient.performRequestAsync(method, endpoint, listener)
            }
            promise
        }
    }

implicit object GetAsyncRequest extends AsyncRequest[Get] {
        def performRequestAsync(javaClient: JavaElasticSearchClient, request: Get): Future[Response] = {
               }
           }
           javaClient.performRequestAsync("GET", request.endpoint. listener)
           promise
        }
    }
}
// in ElasticClient
def performRequestAsync[R](req: R)(implicit async: AsyncRequest[R]): Future[Response] = {
    async.performRequestAsync(req)
}
Now we can do:
code:
> val get = Get("/foo/foo1")
> val request = Request("GET", "/foo/foo1", None)
> client.performRequestAsync(request)(RequestAsyncRequest) 
// or, implicitly:
> client.performRequestAsync(request) // since `RequestAsyncRequest` is in scope and satisfies AsyncRequest[Request]

> client.performRequestAsync(get)(GetAsyncRequest)
// or, implicitly:
> client.performRequestAsync(get)     // since `GetAsyncRequest` is in scope and satisfies AsyncRequest[Get]
With the typeclass pattern, we can provide ad-hoc extensions to a type. Neat.

Ok, but the typeclass definitions above are pretty verbose. How can we make that easier? You might be thinking "add some
simple helper methods" or "extend from request" and those answers would be fine but instead let's do it this dumb
functional way:

You may have noticed that all of our request types can be defined in terms of `Request`, which is the most general of our
request types. Essentially, if we have a way to map from any of our request types to a `Request`, we know how to perform
that request, and don't need to add any more logic. How do we map from one type to another? How about with map!

Here, we've defined a method `map` on the `AsyncRequest[Req]` typeclasses that takes an existing `AsyncRequest` typeclass and
constructs a new one. We simply pass a function `A => Req` that takes an A and returns a Req.
code:
trait AsyncRequest[Req] { self =>
    def performRequestAsync[Req]: Future[Response]

def map[A](f: A => Req): AsnycRequest[A] = new AsyncRequest {
        def performRequestAsync[A](req: A): Future[Response] = {
           self.performRequestAsync(f(req))
        }
    }
}

object AsyncRequest {
    implicit object RequestAsyncRequest extends AsyncRequest[Request] {
        // same as above
    }

// provide a typeclass AsyncRequest[Get] by mapping over AsyncRequest[Request]!
    implicit val getAsyncRequest: AsyncRequest[Get] = RequestAsyncRequest.map[Get](get => Request("GET", get.endpoint))

// we can chain this for even higher level apis!! 
    case class EntityRequest(name: String, id: Int)
    implicit val entityAsyncRequest: AsyncRequest[EntityRequest] = getAsyncRequest.map[EntityRequest](entity => Get(s"/${entity.name}/${entity.id}"))
}
Concretely, assume we've defined an `AsyncRequest[Request]` typeclass instance (as we have). By calling `AsyncRequest[Request].map[Get]` we're constructing
an instance of `AsyncRequest[Get]` in terms of `AsyncRequest[Request]`.

Now we can do:
code:
> val entity = EntityRequest("foo", 12)
> client.performRequestAsync(entity)
Due to the add hoc nature of typeclasses, we can provide new types for `client.performRequestAsync` whenever we want, even
in the repl:
code:
> case class FooRequest(id: Int)
> implicit val fooRequest = implicitly[AsyncRequest[EntityRequest]].map[FooRequest](foo => EntityRequest("foo", foo.id))
> val foo = FooRequest(12)
> client.performRequestAsync(foo)
Which is cool. As you can see, we're able to define a kind of limited class hierarchy in terms of map.

So, if the plan is to build higher level APIs, we probably want a way to manipulate the response as well as the request.

That's a simple extension of what we've already done, parameterizing over the Response:
code:
trait AsyncRequest[Req, Rep] { self =>
    def performRequestAsync[Req, Rep]: Future[Rep]

def map[A,B](f: A => Req, g: Req => B): AsyncRequest[A,B] {
        def perfomRequestAsync[A,B](req: A): Future[Rep] = {
            self.preformRequestAsync(f(req)).map(g)
        }
    }
}

object AsyncRequest {
    implicit object RequestAsyncRequest extends AsyncRequest[Request, Response] {
        // same as above.
    }

// assuming some response class GetResponse, provide a typeclass AsyncRequest[Get, GetResponse] by mapping over 
    // AsyncRequest[Request, Response]!
    implicit val getAsyncRequest: AsyncRequest[Get,GetResponse] = RequestAsyncRequest.map[Get, GetResponse](
        get => Request("GET", get.endpoint),
        rep => GetResponse(rep.field1, ...) // do stuff to build a get response
    )
}

// in ElasticClient
def performRequestAsync[Req,Rep](request: Req)(implicit async: AsyncRequest[Req,Rep]): Future[Rep] = {
    async.performRequestAsync(req)
}
This is pretty cool, we can implement all of the HTTP methods in a snap this way (I'm not going to).

Now we have an amazing wrapper for elastic search, and we want people to use it. But we have the same problem
elastic4s has: We've constrained ourselves to a concrete implementation of Future, and all of our users are stuck
using our Future type. If only there were some way to abstract over the concept of a Future, so that our interface
can return an arbitrary Future implementation. Let's do it.

First, let's rewrite our code so that it accepts an AsyncExecutor typeclass, which is responsible for converting
our response listener into a future:
code:
trait AsyncExecutor {
  def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): TwitterFuture[Response]
}

object TwitterFutureExecutor {
    implicit object TwitterFutureAsyncExecutor extends AsyncExecutor {
        def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): TwitterFuture[Response] = {
           f(new ResponseListener {
               }
           })
           promise
        }
    }
}

// Rewrite our AsyncRequest typeclass in terms of the AsyncExecutor typeclass:
trait AsyncRequest[Req,Rep] {
    def performRequestAsync(request: Req)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor): Future[Rep]
    // map is unchanged
}
implicit object Request extends AsyncRequest[Request, Response] {
  override def performRequestAsync(client: JavaElasticSearchClient,
                                   req: Request)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor): Future[Response] = {
  val async = req.body match {
    case Some(body) =>
      client.performRequestAsync(
        req.method,
        req.endpoint,
        _: ResponseListener,
      )
    case None =>
      client.performRequestAsync(req.method, req.endpoint, _: ResponseListener)
  }
  executor.fromListener(async)
}
Here, we partially apply the `client.performRequestAsync` method and turn it into a function that takes a ResponseListener
and returns a unit (`ResponseListener => Unit`). We pass this partially applied function into the `fromResponse` method
defined on the `AsyncExecutor` typeclass instance, which returns a `Future[Response]`. However, we haven't achieved our
goal: We want to be able to define this for any Future (or really, anything that can do something meaningful with a
ResponseListener). While our rewrite allows us to provide custom implementations of our `AsyncExecutor` typeclass, the
signature of `fromResponse` is still constrained to a concrete implementation of Future.

Let's take another look at our `AsyncExecutor` trait:
code:
trait AsyncExecutor {
  def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): TwitterFuture[Response]
}
What we want is parameterize TwitterFuture with a generic, let's try it:
code:
trait AsyncExecutor[F] {
    def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): F
}
This doesn't make sense: the return value of `fromResponse` was `Future[Response]`, substituting `A` for `Future` means that
the return value of `fromResponse` is simply Future! However, if we try to change it so that it returns a `Future[Response]`
we cannot, because the trait says that we need to return an `A`, not an `A[Response]`. Is there a way to change the
return value of our trait to `A[Response]`? In fact there is!

code:
trait AsyncExecutor[F[_]] {
    def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): F[Response]
}
Now we're using higher kinded types.

For our purposes, a higher kinded type is a type that takes a type parameter, such as an Option[A], a List[A], or, indeed,
a Future[A]. However, I'm going to do a bad job explaining this, so read up here:
https://typelevel.github.io/blog/2016/08/21/hkts-moving-forward.html

In order to make this useful, we need to constrain it a bit by saying "any type which can do something
meaningful with a ResponseListener." Let's see what a concrete implementation looks like:
code:
object TwitterFutureExecutor {
    implicit object TwitterFutureAsyncExecutor extends AsyncExecutor[TwitterFuture] {
        def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): TwitterFuture[Response] = {
           f(new ResponseListener {
               }
           })
           promise
        }
    }
}

// Rewrite our AsyncRequest typeclass in terms of the AsyncExecutor typeclass:
trait AsyncRequest[Req,Rep] { self =>
    def performRequestAsync[F[_]](request: Req)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor[F]): F[Rep]
}

implicit object Request extends AsyncRequest[RawMethods.Request, Response] {
  override def performRequestAsync[F[_]](client: JavaElasticSearchClient,
                                   req: Request)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor[F]): F[Response] = {
  val async = req.body match {
    case Some(body) =>
      client.performRequestAsync(
        req.method,
        req.endpoint,
        _: ResponseListener,
      )
    case None =>
      client.performRequestAsync(req.method, req.endpoint, _: ResponseListener)
  }
  executor.fromListener(async)
}
Now our performRequestAsync method is parameterized over some higher-kinded type that has an instance of the AsyncExecutor
typeclass available. For fun, let's provide an implementation of our AsyncRequest typeclass for the cats IO monad:
code:
implicit object IOExecutor  extends AsyncExecutor[IO] { 
    def fromListener(f: ResponseListener => Unit): IO[Response] = {
      IO async { cb =>
        f(new ResponseListener {
          override def onFailure(e: Exception): Unit = cb(Left(e))
          override def onSuccess(response: Response): Unit = cb(Right(response))
        })
      }
    }
}
Now, depending on which executor is in scope, our `client.performRequestAsync[Req, Rep, F[_]: AsyncExecutor]` method will
return either an `IO[Rep]` or a `Future[Rep]`. Wow!

However, there's a problem:

code:
trait AsyncRequest[Req,Rep] { self =>
    def performRequestAsync[F[_]](request: Req)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor[F]): F[Rep]

def perfomRequestAsync[F[_]](req: A)(implicit async: AsyncExecutor[F]): F[Rep] = {
            self.preformRequestAsync(f(req)).map(g) // wait, what?
        }
    }
}
`self.performRequestAsync(f(req))` returns an `F[Req]`, how do we map over `F[_]`? We can't, unless we constrain
our `F[_]` to things that can be mapped over. Things...that can be mapped over. That sounds familiar.. What do we call
things that we can map over? I'm pretty sure I've read that Functors are things that can be mapped over. Let's try that.

code:
trait AsyncRequest[Req, Rep] { self =>
    def performRequestAsync[F[_]](request: Req)(implicit executor: AsyncExecutor[F], functor: Functor[F]): F[Rep]

def performRequestAsync[F[_]](req: A)(implicit async: AsyncExecutor[F], functor: Functor[F]): F[B] = {
            functor.map(self.performRequestAsync(f(req)), g)
        }
    }
}
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Functional programming is great! Now our client looks like this:

code:
  def performRequestAsync[Req, Rep, F[_]](req: Req)(
    implicit
    async: AsyncRequest[Req, Rep],
    executor: AsyncExecutor[F]
    functor: Functor[F]
  ): F[Rep] = {
    async.performRequestAsync(javaClient, req)
  }
and that's how you massively overengineer a rest client.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 12, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
tl;dr

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jesus crhist just use c# or java. scala is a nightmare.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

jesus crhist just use c# or java. scala is a nightmare.

i got the figgies for the C# job so i'm starting there in a month or so :tipshat:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
no lie i'm going to miss scala though, i feel like FP is just starting to click for me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no lie i'm going to miss scala though, i feel like FP is just starting to click for me

get a haskell job, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i got the figgies for the C# job so i'm starting there in a month or so :tipshat:

noice

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

looks like scala is just starting to right click empty trash imo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm going to learn F# i think. does it still require that you declare your functions before using them within the same lexical scope? or was it something weird about file names? i cant remember.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

looks like scala is just starting to right click empty trash imo

rude!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't bother with f#. just use c#

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

nah gonna do both.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Shaggar posted:

You've got it the wrong way around, friend.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
those sharps are just too sharp for me. give me a big ol' b♭ any day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
maybe even an e♭ if i'm feelin' a lil' perky on the morning

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm going to learn F# i think. does it still require that you declare your functions before using them within the same lexical scope? or was it something weird about file names? i cant remember.

I think people were confused by F# because it uses in-order evaluation, like Lisp or ML or Haskell, rather than a C-like independent/static compilation model

so code within files needs to be ordered and the files themselves need to be ordered as well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

and that's how you massively overengineer a rest client.

the russians used curl wrapped in a bash script

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

eschaton posted:

so code within files needs to be ordered and the files themselves need to be ordered as well

Is this true of all fp? Like I've mainly done programming in the small type stuff for course work in scheme, sml, and some racket so I haven't had to deal with this, but it sounds hosed up.

e: Possibly less hosed up than having to worry about link order with large C projects though, now that I think about it.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 13, 2017

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Colonel Taint posted:

Is this true of all fp? Like I've mainly done programming in the small type stuff for course work in scheme, sml, and some racket so I haven't had to deal with this, but it sounds hosed up.

e: Possibly less hosed up than having to worry about link order with large C projects though, now that I think about it.

the thing to understand about f# is that it's just ocaml copy-pasted on top of the .net platform. they've added new features but didn't really change how the core language works at all, to the point of source code compatibility in many cases. in ocaml you have to define stuff before you can use it. so if your module has a "main function" it's usually at the bottom, kinda like C. and there is no "forward declaration" where you can say "ehhh some other module is gonna tell you what this type is later on", the modules of your program need to be arranged into a DAG with no cyclic references (if you need cyclic dependency you have to make the modules mutually recursive and put them in the same compilation unit).

in my personal aesthetic opinion this is kinda nice because you have to actually think about how to structure your code, and when i start to read your codebase for the first time i have sane places to proceed from; whether i prefer top-down or bottom-up study, at least i can see where the top and bottom are. contrast with a typical java codebase. however i suspect that the true reasoning behind this restriction in f# is "ocaml did it that way because ocaml came out of a research project and it was easier to write the compiler that way". there are some language details in ocaml that make lifting the restriction non-trivial (you can put side-effecting top-level statements in modules, so you need some way to establish a consistent ordering). f# probably does not need these details; i don't know c#, but presumably it works like java, where the restriction doesn't exist. they were probably just lazy.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Colonel Taint posted:

a lot of languages and environments are like this, not just functional ones

the main difference is if what you’re writing is a static description of a system (C, C++, ObjC, Java, C#, Swift) or whether the system is effectively “live” while it’s being compiled (Lisp, Scheme/Racket, Smalltalk, ML, etc.—and JavaScript)

having the system be “live” during compilation can be an advantage, for example you can use its full power at compile time via macros or other forms of metaprogramming

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Colonel Taint posted:

nah

erlang & elixir are 100% fine with functions in a module being out of order (otherwise you can't have functions that call each other)

ruby's fine with cross-file dependencies as long as the names can be resolved at runtime

rust is good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think you can be out of order in haskell, too. and also in elm and purescript

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

much as i like f# it takes some doing to view a linear order being required as a positive.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

i think you can be out of order in haskell, too. and also in elm and purescript

most haskellers are out of order in some way

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

rude!!

F# is only similar to scala in intent, they're extremely different languages.
If you take haskell, strip out any language features developed in the last 20 years and make the syntax slightly worse (ie no where, only let-in clauses) then you have F#. Honestly if it weren't for the dotnet interop nobody would ever use it even a little.

That said, it's better than c#. http://www.trelford.com/blog/post/LighterCSharp.aspx

kugutsu
Dec 31, 2008
computation expressions seem cool

but are they adding typeclasses to f# sometime this decade or is it gonna get get beaten to the punch by c#? at this point javascript is a better platform for type safe functional programming than .net and that's kind of pathetic

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

F# is only similar to scala in intent, they're extremely different languages.
If you take haskell, strip out any language features developed in the last 20 years and make the syntax slightly worse (ie no where, only let-in clauses) then you have F#. Honestly if it weren't for the dotnet interop nobody would ever use it even a little.

That said, it's better than c#. http://www.trelford.com/blog/post/LighterCSharp.aspx

bleh, that's disappointing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: hrm, had not kept up with present-day ocaml, retracting this

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 14, 2017

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: hrm, had not kept up with present-day ocaml, retracting this
/

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bleh, that's disappointing.

Computational expressions are cool though, f#'s only novel feature as far as I know. They effectively do the same thing as haskell's monads, but can replace the semantics of let, while, andThen etc in the same way that haskell's do notation does. The neat thing is that they can be generated from specification files at compile time, so you can do all sorts of system interop poo poo with them.

And OCaml with better libraries (but a less mature compiler) is still a better language than scala...

Janestreet have optimised the poo poo of ocamls compiler infrastructure

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 14, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
do closures break referential transparency?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

do closures break referential transparency?

not if everything in them is immutable (parameters don't count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i guess so. not a very interesting question now that i've thought about it more.

• Locked thread