Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this and I'm still processing, but I wanted to say that the soundtrack really worked for me. Fit the scenes well and added to the overall tone of resigned pain the whole film carried. Maybe that's just cause moody folk music is my jam, but when even the Abba song is about loss and change I have to appreciate the attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The deer scene is Mildred rejecting the idea that the universe is trying to tell her something by this unusual run-in with nature. Her daughter is not visit her in the form of a deer to tell her to relinquish her grudge. I guess in the grander theme of "how do you live with so much pain" showing Mildred unwilling to accept a comforting fantasy make sense, but the scene itself has a strange magical realism vibe that's really out of step with the rest of the film.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The deer scene was some truly awful CGI.

That was a real deer. I know, I was surprised to find out as well.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It invokes racism and police brutality but fails to really say anything about them, and a lot of people are kind of sick of that poo poo under the current political climate.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

It says the the most comfortable characters (dare i say... the privileged ones?) are the most complacent about it, Willoughby seems to believe he's leaving a perfect world behind and his comfy words are what keep Dixon from noticing that the house is on fire. The main characters are certainly all white though, no question about that.

Yeah, and under the current political climate it shouldn't be a surprise that yet another story about privilege that focuses on white people just not getting it isn't welcomed with open arms by everybody. I like the film and I sure as gently caress don't think it's 2017's Crash like a lot of people have said, but I'm not confused as to why some people take exception to a movie that reduced "tortured a black man" to character description.

• Locked thread