Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

With the conversation with Mildred confronting Dixon about torturing blacks, I don't think the humor is that they're saying the n-word to each other, it's that she's loving with him on his own level and trying to goad him into a false move--such as violence or incriminating language, etc.-- and Dixon, rather than pick up that she's insulting him for torturing black people, he instead tries to debate semantics with her. Even then, it's the darkest humor, and I think it's even calling out those who laugh at the joke in the same way Dixon doesn't get the intent of Mildred's comment.

Yeah I thought that the joke wasn't that the dude was dropping the n-bomb, it's that when chastised for it he superficially cleans up his language by removing the offending slur but is still openly talking about torturing black people and being a hateful piece of poo poo. Like a person talking about the time they tortured someone and then, apologising, amends it to talking about the time they performed enhanced interrogation on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll never forgive him for ruining the intense kitchen knife scene with that dumb loving character and her dumb loving dialogue. In a film with otherwise realistic people and conversations, every time she opened her mouth it just pulled me out of the scene. It was grating and so over the top compared to the rest of the film. It was a mix of the delivery and the writing, but also her placement in the scenes that just killed the momentum to relieve tension but the tension was powerful and intriguing.

I want to see the movie that the monologue about how priests are just like the Crips and the Bloods would actually fit in, because that was the biggest offender in terms of feeling like the leftover from a much more heightened and Tarantinoesque draft.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's a lot of "agree to disagree" happening around this movie.

The amount of backlash surrounding this movie that most people never even heard of until the Hot Takes started circulating on the internet a week ago is absolutely insane.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

It's almost like we live in a hyper politically charged world right now and people are really sensitive to the way race relations are presented in movies because of so many hosed up things happening all around them. The movie is obviously aware of the environment it exists in, but it's up to you if you think it handles that well or not (and doesn't make others snowflakes if they disagree).

If that was the case then you'd think people would be able to channel their impotent fury into something more constructive.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Your average thinkpiece writer would probably have a conniption if they saw how Americans were portrayed in In Bruges lmao

• Locked thread