Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat but this was a phenomenal movie. Such a tricky tonal tightrope to walk but it pulled it off with aplomb. My only real issue involves Willoughby’s letter to Dixon - partly because it’s the one section that comes somewhat close to being too cheesy, partly because we have no reason to believe Dixon is a good man deep inside, or has the potential to be a good detective, except for cause Willoughby says so. Telling instead of showing and all that. Ending is goddamn perfect and no way McDormand doesn’t pick up an Oscar statue later in the year.

Also the controversy around Dixon as a character is unbelievably dumb, especially the claims of “redemption”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve honestly never seen a backlash quite so rooted in people’s personal politics and that has so little to do with the actual thing that’s supposedly so problematic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Who said anything of the sort?

And then two posts below this the answer appeared lmao

Saw this for the third time today and I’ll grant that the black characters, especially Denise and Jerome, could have had a little more development. But other than that I still think the whole backlash is absolutely insane and anyone who uses the word “redemption” wrt Dixon is a complete dipshit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great post! Just to say McDonagh is the director’s surname. McDormand is the lead actress :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

e: Catching up on the thread, I'm surprised nobody else seems to have talked about what I thought was a pretty clear implication that Mildred and her ex had beaten each other up in equal measure (both physically and mentally) and neither of them was a clearly better person

uhhhhhh.........what?

• Locked thread