Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Steve2911 posted:

This movie was great but man is the trailer not a good representation. I walked in expecting a movie about a mother's struggle for justice in the face of a corrupt, racist law enforcement. I got a movie about slightly lovely, miserable and grief stricken people slowly breaking.

This is my biggest issue with the film; it uses those social issues to lend itself credibility while not actually taking a stance on them and using them in the most shallow ways to seem relevant to the times. It would have been a lot better if it dropped the pretense and just focused on the heart of the story. There's an article going around titled "Is Three Billboards the New Crash?" and while I wouldn't go that far, I get the point they're making. This film had some really fantastic performances but the script was all over the place tonally and the editing had some really sloppy stuff (the teenage girlfriend literally killed every scene she was in and not in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No not at all, my biggest complaint is that it portrays itself as being about confronting that reality from an outsider's prospective but actually uses the issue in self serving and shallow ways. It's a mix of bad marketing and bad script editing. I still like the movie in the end, mostly for it's characters depth and the arcs they have, but with some more mature writing and editing it could have been a movie I loved and one I think would be remembered in a better light down the road.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll never forgive him for ruining the intense kitchen knife scene with that dumb loving character and her dumb loving dialogue. In a film with otherwise realistic people and conversations, every time she opened her mouth it just pulled me out of the scene. It was grating and so over the top compared to the rest of the film. It was a mix of the delivery and the writing, but also her placement in the scenes that just killed the momentum to relieve tension but the tension was powerful and intriguing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's almost like we live in a hyper politically charged world right now and people are really sensitive to the way race relations are presented in movies because of so many hosed up things happening all around them. The movie is obviously aware of the environment it exists in, but it's up to you if you think it handles that well or not (and doesn't make others snowflakes if they disagree).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know the video or comments you're referencing but it sounded like hostility towards any criticism of the movie so that's what I was responding to. Sorry if that's not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Who said anything of the sort?

• Locked thread