Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think the show prides itself on realism at all. I have no idea what you mean by that. The androids alone are totally magi-science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

drunken officeparty posted:

Why is incredible robot technology being used only for a theme park anyway?

Duh, so you can go somewhere to gently caress the robots instead of having to explain to your wife why the garage is full of old robots in boxes every year when you do the spring cleaning.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Why is incredible robot technology being used only for a theme park anyway? Arnold (PBUH), at least, wanted to create true life. Was he always going to subjugate robots that were then indestinguishable from humans, or give up the theme park thing when he achieved it? And still why the gently caress the theme park or only the theme park. There's so much more important things you could do with near perfect robot tech.

because its all owned by an insane person who wants this revolutionary technology to be used in a cowboy LARP simulator. Then people like William figure out the hosts are beyond simple funtime pizza bear robots. So they convince Delos to invest and try to learn more about what the hosts actually are, and what they can do, because if they really are what they are rumoured to be...

Businesses would want host labour forces with no laws protecting them.
Individuals would want host wives/husbands/souped up real dolls that can actually mimic themselves and go to work in their place, etc.
Militaries would want legions of soldiers that can be programmed to feel no pain and also theres a little laser pointer thingy that repairs soft tissue instantaneously and it seems to work on humans as well.
Governments/Spy agencies would want to be able to replace foreign leaders with controllable host puppets.

But you've got to get the information/data out of the park because even working "clandestine" inside the park can't work if you never really know who's a host and who is a human. Look at what Bernard did to the shiny red ball room.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No one has said the underlying tech hasn't disseminated, but I'd figure the actual "convincing host/near conscious robot" technology is kept in the park for any number of reasons: It's not needed and too expensive for most purposes, greedy IP owners, spooked politicians/populace worried about Manchurian Candidates and robo-body snatcher scenarios, Ford's machinations trying to keep it from getting out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

But why was Ford like "ya know what, I invented this world changing technology and the best use? historical theme parks."

Re: other uses: literal slaves to abolish all human need to work forever. They have realistic emotions because of the theme park aspect. Make them dumbasses and you have human bodies without the moral quandry of slavery.

Why do they need human bodies? They can just make actual robots to do physical labor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cojawfee posted:

Why do they need human bodies? They can just make actual robots to do physical labor.

They could use faceless hosts as the ones we've seem this season

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

Robots are more expensive. Ford or MiB said in S1 that the only reason they made the Hosts out of fleshybits was because it's cheaper. There is a highschool metaphor about the value of human life versus technology in there somewhere...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Robots are more expensive. Ford or MiB said in S1 that the only reason they made the Hosts out of fleshybits was because it's cheaper. There is a highschool metaphor about the value of human life versus technology in there somewhere...

Could be that it's cheaper to make Human Hosts that way but not factory automation style robots.

otoh I would really really like a glimpse of the outside world where all automation is done via some Hellraiser-ish nightmare fuel flesh factory all

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They are using the tech for significant purposes. The robo-Delos experiment was attempt to invent immortality, and the show is constantly hinting that there's something big behind the scenes. If Ford is using the host tech to develop stuff on the level of eternal life then he'd probably be totally dismissive at the idea of using it for mere physical labor. Using the hosts as NPCs seems like a silly waste of time but it's the best way to develop convincing artificial life. Using the hosts for labor or spying or any other specialized job would be using the hosts to serve humanity; Ford and Arnold want to create a lifeform that will surpass us.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think the reasons the potentially world changing technology is just in the park are:
-Ford is an artist and more concerned about creating his vision rather than raking in the profits, but he's still a greedy man so he doesn't want to share (also sharing would inhibit his ability to play god in the park)
-We don't actually know how big of a technological leap the hosts are compared to what is in the real world. We have to assume it's advanced but it could be comparable to a cutting edge processing chip in today's society.
-In a super capitalist world of the future having poor people do the menial labor might actually be cheaper than hosts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Could be that it's cheaper to make Human Hosts that way but not factory automation style robots.

otoh I would really really like a glimpse of the outside world where all automation is done via some Hellraiser-ish nightmare fuel flesh factory all

Westworld is actually a Quake 2 prequel.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

-We don't actually know how big of a technological leap the hosts are compared to what is in the real world. We have to assume it's advanced but it could be comparable to a cutting edge processing chip in today's society.

Logan's reaction to the pitch meeting seems to imply it's quite a leap, even for their futuristic society.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Westworld is actually a Quake 2 prequel.

Can't wait to see Maeve bust out the Double Rocket Jump.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pigbuster posted:

. If Ford is using the host tech to develop stuff on the level of eternal life then he'd probably be totally dismissive at the idea of using it for mere physical labor.

Wasn't Ford doing exactly that in S1?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Great comment from that YouTube C.R.E.A.M. video:

quote:

Code rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M.
Get the shogun
Telepathic Maeve, y'all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

WampaLord posted:

Logan's reaction to the pitch meeting seems to imply it's quite a leap, even for their futuristic society.

But that was at the pre-opening of the park era. Although I'd also totally buy that Delos didn't let any of it out even after buying them out and just sinking money into the immortality thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESpB9J3jCOw

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

^^^ That's really cool, seeing them side by side like that

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But that was at the pre-opening of the park era. Although I'd also totally buy that Delos didn't let any of it out even after buying them out and just sinking money into the immortality thing.

It's clear that they heavily value their IP, so I'm pretty sure they haven't shared the robot tech with the wider world.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwqfoTOdXL4

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's been 2.5 seasons and still all I can see is a McPoyle

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Has anyone brought up that Clem looked all super pale and dead in the episode 2 weeks ago but now she looks basically normal?

What's up with that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

YOU GET SWORD STABBED!!!!

WampaLord posted:

Has anyone brought up that Clem looked all super pale and dead in the episode 2 weeks ago but now she looks basically normal?

What's up with that?
That bit where she saw her replacement and recited her lines silently was super sad, whatever's going on with her I hope she's getting fixed slowly :unsmith:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

They can make bender bots with human hands to do human things like cooking and human heads to pleasure their masters.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gonz posted:

Great comment from that YouTube C.R.E.A.M. video:

ugh

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I want him to get injured in one eye and have to wear an eyepatch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wild adventures with Maeve is so much more entertaining than Dolores sub-plot.

It helps the Lee is so hilarious such as admitting to his laziness in recycling plots like a Call of Duty game designer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I want him to get injured in one eye and have to wear an eyepatch.

What's wrong? Is it the eye? They made me feel self-conscious. Is it off putting? Does it look real?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Metal robots are more expensive for what they are used for in West World. A janitor, manufacturing, or warehouse robot isn't going to be hacked to bits with an axe, or shot up every day. The organic robots might have a massive upfront cost that is then offset by easier maintenance since they can technically repair themselves with some minor help from futuristic medical tech. Whereas a metal robot might be cheaper to create, but is more expensive to maintain if it is constantly being beat to poo poo. If a robot doesn't need to look nice, and will only need maintenance due to minor wear and tear, it's probably cheaper to make them out of metal. Though I don't know what their manufacturing is like then. Right now, it would be cheap as hell to make a metal robot compared to 3D printing a living thing. That could all change in a hundred years. Though, if it is so easy to print a person, I'd figure it would be just as easy to print metal.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Metal robots are more expensive for what they are used for in West World. A janitor, manufacturing, or warehouse robot isn't going to be hacked to bits with an axe, or shot up every day. The organic robots might have a massive upfront cost that is then offset by easier maintenance since they can technically repair themselves with some minor help from futuristic medical tech. Whereas a metal robot might be cheaper to create, but is more expensive to maintain if it is constantly being beat to poo poo. If a robot doesn't need to look nice, and will only need maintenance due to minor wear and tear, it's probably cheaper to make them out of metal. Though I don't know what their manufacturing is like then. Right now, it would be cheap as hell to make a metal robot compared to 3D printing a living thing. That could all change in a hundred years. Though, if it is so easy to print a person, I'd figure it would be just as easy to print metal.

Why the hell do you always write Westworld as two words

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

YOU GET SWORD STABBED!!!!

YOU WILL TELEGRAPH HER!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Why the hell do you always write Westworld as two words

To make you mad.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jimmi Simpson seems like a cool guy. Wanna see him descend into full psychopath mode as William and do some real heinous poo poo.

Related, Jimmi Simpson reads absurd Westworld fan theories -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDaHQDD1ghY

Including a few that didn't seem so absurd :tinfoil:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ptkfvk posted:

the similar storylines would get noticed in outside reviews and media and stuff. with how long tasks are and how much it costs to go to the parks i dont see very many people getting the same experience as william. he basically got free run of the whole park for as long as he wanted. not a lot of people would have the time or resources to get that into the game.

On the tie in Delos websites I seem to recall that there was lots of emphasis on NDA's and not getting to take anything at all out of the park. Sure some info would leak out, but anyone with the money and desire to go to Westworld probably wouldn't risk being banned.

It's best not to think too much about the background information of Westworld, while I enjoyed seeing the early days and Logans first encounter with hosts it is one of those things that doesn't hold up if you think too much about it. Not only did they apparently manage to make the most realistic looking robots ever, but they have also created the most advanced AI to go with them, and then been state of the art for the next 30 years.

If you imagine that the present day of Westworld is taking place in 2050+ then the first season doesn't really work when you imagine that if human like AI is possible it has almost certainly come up in other contexts by then. All the staff are dismissive of the hosts being anything but automatons but there is no way there haven't been major political and moral debates in the larger world about the rights of AI.

That said, I just don't think about those aspects. Apart from the Confederados, racism rarely comes up in the show despite the fact it was extremely prevalent in the period setting of Westworld. Without it being overtly stated the treatment of the hosts by humans seems intended to parallel human on human racism where any facts aside they are treated as different and lesser.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Jimmi Simpson seems like a cool guy. Wanna see him descend into full psychopath mode as William and do some real heinous poo poo.

When that video ends

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All y'all nerds keep calling William McPoyle when all I see is Scud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDi8rUvjf3E

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Mary Lightly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7JkiPUgeNo

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my bony fealty posted:

This is very recent, the theory that he made the shortest comment on is probably correct.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Also who speaks Japanese and wants to tell me how bad Maeve is at it.

Pretty bad but honestly better than most actors do at it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They really should work racquetball and a pineapple into Westworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

On the tie in Delos websites I seem to recall that there was lots of emphasis on NDA's and not getting to take anything at all out of the park. Sure some info would leak out, but anyone with the money and desire to go to Westworld probably wouldn't risk being banned.

It's best not to think too much about the background information of Westworld, while I enjoyed seeing the early days and Logans first encounter with hosts it is one of those things that doesn't hold up if you think too much about it. Not only did they apparently manage to make the most realistic looking robots ever, but they have also created the most advanced AI to go with them, and then been state of the art for the next 30 years.

If you imagine that the present day of Westworld is taking place in 2050+ then the first season doesn't really work when you imagine that if human like AI is possible it has almost certainly come up in other contexts by then. All the staff are dismissive of the hosts being anything but automatons but there is no way there haven't been major political and moral debates in the larger world about the rights of AI.

That said, I just don't think about those aspects. Apart from the Confederados, racism rarely comes up in the show despite the fact it was extremely prevalent in the period setting of Westworld. Without it being overtly stated the treatment of the hosts by humans seems intended to parallel human on human racism where any facts aside they are treated as different and lesser.

They're slowly revealing more and more about the outside world and I have little doubt it'll have greater relevance later on, so it's worth thinking about. Besides, competitors don't need to be 30+ years behind for the cutting edge stuff at WW to be in huge demand.

If the 30 year thing is real it's a bit of a stretch but still somewhat believable. Look at Waymo, they spent over a decade working on self driving cars while everyone else was twiddling their thumbs and now they're all playing catch up. The competitors are all either using BS to pretend they don't have to do the hard work to get to where Waymo is(Mobileye, Tesla), steal their work(Uber) or are trying to get there via different path that may not work out(pile on driver assists until you're no longer driving).

When Google was first showing off self driving cars they looked amazing but the state of the art has moved on and we've grown to see how limited the are. Maybe hosts are the same and the party trick was a literal party trick, they weren't at all close to AI but it was good enough to fool investors and an extra 30 years of real world testing that no one else was doing finally got them over the line.