Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

tino posted:

We already know its impossible if you just look at the generic DNA variation between humans. You probably need the 10k line space just to record mitochondrial or Y chromesome variants.

This isn't Assassin's Creed, we're talking about personality here, not genetic memories or even passing a DNA test (hosts obviously can't do that. The "human or not" tests are looking for the neck bomb, not scanning DNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:rip: Las Mudas

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Apparently the church is the only thing that still stands. I say make the best of a bad situation and ASAP get some shots of the devastation. Maybe they can use it for some of the scenes based in the far future they intend on showing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they will probably wait for the fire to be contained before worrying about what shots to get.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

However the main town of Sweetwater, which is apparently also where they are currently filming the new Deadwood, is well to the south and A-O-loving-K.

Huzzah.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Astroman posted:

However the main town of Sweetwater, which is apparently also where they are currently filming the new Deadwood, is well to the south and A-O-loving-K.

Huzzah.

Wait, what?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A movie is being filmed right now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873489
:unsmith:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress the Westworld correlation, it's a travesy the Paramount Ranch is gone in general. It was historic!!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

esperterra posted:

gently caress the Westworld correlation, it's a travesy the Paramount Ranch is gone in general. It was historic!!

hey let’s try and keep the thread about something that actually matter like gently caress robots

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The wife and I watched the 1973 Westworld movie and holy poo poo that was maybe the worst film we have both ever seen. In love with the TV show though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Really? Didn't seem to terrible to me. Gotta keep in in perspective of when it was made a bit I spose

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think people in the 60s and 70s had nothing else to do, so movies could be 3 hours long with long stretches of nothing happening.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Absolutely my interpretation of the past too

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually like the 1973 film but by indulging in its campiness and also with a proper filter of what seeing it in 1973 would have been like. If anything, Yul Brynner's performance as the gunslinger is memorable and creepy.

It's also noteworthy for being first the film to use any form of CGI, and the very first anything to discuss the concept of a computer virus and refer to it as such.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It was fine until the last act which was just 20 minutes of the most boring chase scene ever filmed.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It’s was a great and memorable TBS afternoon film for a lazy Saturday or sick day home from school. Much like The Omega Man or any of the Planet of the Apes sequels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think people in the 60s and 70s had nothing else to do, so movies could be 3 hours long with long stretches of nothing happening.

To be fair its 1 hour and 27 minutes long, but the pacing is so bad that it feels like it's longer then watching all 20 episodes of the TV show back to back.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

The wife and I watched the 1973 Westworld movie and holy poo poo that was maybe the worst film we have both ever seen. In love with the TV show though.

That is really loving stupid. It was actually a really entertaining, pioneer of the genre.

The whole time the Gunslinger walked around I went 'Wow, this is like a proto-Terminator.' Then I read that Arnold based his performance for Terminator on the Gunslinger, which Cameron showed him many times.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It was fine until the last act which was just 20 minutes of the most boring chase scene ever filmed.

Kids today don't understand atmosphere. Not enough big bangy explosions for ya?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Huzzah.

I hope they work it into the story somehow and used the ruined sets.

Just like have Delos decide to 'reset' the project and bomb the town or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

That is really loving stupid. It was actually a really entertaining, pioneer of the genre.

Kids today don't understand atmosphere. Not enough big bangy explosions for ya?

Source your quotes?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The movie was fine. It was consistent and didn't pull a plot twist out of Yul Brynner's rear end in the last act.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Source your quotes?

Vulture posted:

7. Westworld Inspired The Terminator Franchise

Director James Cameron is a huge fan of the Westworld movie. So much so, that the portrayal of robots in the movie inspired his depiction of robots, or cyborgs, in the Terminator films. In fact, James Cameron had actor Arnold Schwarzenegger watch Westworld prior to filming The Terminator and told him to model his performance on that of Yul Brynner, who played the malfunctioning robot known as The Gunslinger in the 1973 original. If you watch the original Westworld and then The Terminator, the similarities between how the robots behave is pretty clear and rather striking. They each have the same emotionless detachment and laser like focus on whatever task they happen to be undertaking. The similarities are actually pretty eerie. Arnold Schwarzenegger was in talks to star in a remake of the film in 2007 before that deal fell apart.

https://www.goliath.com/tv/10-things-you-should-know-about-westworld/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We were the robots all along. Second season totally ditched this theme so the original movies is better except it doesn't have tigers or does it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think people here are just being ironic when they say the movie is good, and I say this as someone who enjoyed the Sean Connery film, Zardoz.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I said come in! posted:

I think people here are just being ironic when they say the movie is good, and I say this as someone who enjoyed the Sean Connery film, Zardoz.

Zardoz rules

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Zardoz is a legitimately good movie that's let down by its reputation for silliness, and while yes, there is a giant flying stone head that says "THE GUN IS GOOD, THE PENIS IS EVIL", and yes, Sean Connery's erection is a key plot point, it's a well-made movie that's weird on purpose and the weirdness is actually quite well done.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally got around to watching S2 of this and man that was...not great. There were actually lots of individually cool moments that just get completely let down by the bizarre insistence on running multiple crisscrossing timelines for absolutely no reason except to cater to annoying shitheads that get mad if they can "solve" the plot or whatever. The dialogue seemed a lot worse too, though maybe I'm just not remembering S1's that well. The Ghost Nation episode was definitely the best, and really puts into stark contrast how bad the characterization is throughout the rest of the series (it's insane how much time this show spends with William across 2 seasons for him to end up with a literally non-existent character arc).

Also lol at that epilogue obviously taking place years and years in the future, completely deflating the ending's buildup about whether or not the hosts' battle for survival would be successful or if they'd go extinct. Unless I am completely misreading that scene.

They've got a great cast and a big enough budget to do some very cool visual storytelling, but the writing / framing is just rear end and the only reason it doesn't come across as downright comical most of the time is because the actors are selling the hell out of bad lines.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 17, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

They've got a great cast and a big enough budget to do some very cool visual storytelling, but the writing / framing is just rear end and the only reason it doesn't come across as downright comical most of the time is because the actors are selling the hell out of bad lines.
Imo the biggest screwup was turning Dolores into Murderbot 6000 because i never quite got rid of the feeling that Ford's Killbot.exe just overwrote her 30 years of personal progress.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

FilthyImp posted:

Imo the biggest screwup was turning Dolores into Murderbot 6000 because i never quite got rid of the feeling that Ford's Killbot.exe just overwrote her 30 years of personal progress.

Such a waste of ERW, too. They either needed to drop the monotone-rear end Wyatt personality and make Wyatt more of a charismatic cult leader type, or play more with the idea that Dolores is still in there struggling to either get out, or balance the two personalities in her robo brain. They did it a couple of times and they were probably the most interesting moments Dolores had during the season, but they didn't play with that concept nearly enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, I wouldn't have minded if they went all Game of Thrones and had Delores wage an epic war. If they can't write half a good story they can at least put those HBO production values to good use.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You mean lots of gratuitous nudity that is incidental to the plot?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Welp, I've run out of content to adapt to TV, from these great books I wrote that got famous for harshly subverting and mocking fantasy tropes! We have 100m dollars left to spend in our contract! What should we fill the rest of our season with, HBO?

HBO: Fantasy tropes

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Episodes 4 and 8 of S2 showed how great this should could have continued to be. The rest of S2 was pure shlock that was entertaining at times but rendered completely awful in the atrocious finale. It's incredible how through all of 2017 I was obsessed with this show and pumped for it's return, and ever since S2 finished I never even think about it. I still defend S1 as one of the best pieces of television ever, and I would put the mess that was S2 as one of the biggest and fastest derailings in the current television renaissance.

I will still watch season 3 because there's a chance they could turn this around and that season 2 had to be the awkward transitional season, but I'm not holding my breath for it. As it stands, I believe season 1 should have remained as a self-contained mini series.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also lol at that epilogue obviously taking place years and years in the future, completely deflating the ending's buildup about whether or not the hosts' battle for survival would be successful or if they'd go extinct. Unless I am completely misreading that scene.
I didn't take this to imply anything other than Westworld the park is possibly abandoned in the future.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Episodes 4 and 8 of S2 showed how great this should could have continued to be. The rest of S2 was pure shlock that was entertaining at times but rendered completely awful in the atrocious finale. It's incredible how through all of 2017 I was obsessed with this show and pumped for it's return, and ever since S2 finished I never even think about it. I still defend S1 as one of the best pieces of television ever, and I would put the mess that was S2 as one of the biggest and fastest derailings in the current television renaissance.

I will still watch season 3 because there's a chance they could turn this around and that season 2 had to be the awkward transitional season, but I'm not holding my breath for it. As it stands, I believe season 1 should have remained as a self-contained mini series.

I didn't take this to imply anything other than Westworld the park is possibly abandoned in the future.

I guess it's confusing to me because that pretty strongly implies that at whatever point in the future that is meant to be, the hosts are building / testing new hosts on their own, right? Like his "daughter" in the epilogue is almost certainly a host, and the place has very clearly been left to rot for years. But then that means either the humans decided to recover some of the hosts and they revolted again, or Delores / Bernard decided to create a William host for some reason? I dunno, I mostly just thought it was funny that the ending dumped all of this exposition about whether or not the last remaining hosts would be able to preserve their species or whether the humans in the real world would ruthlessly drive them to extinction, and then the epilogue is just like "oh yeah it's the future and there's still hosts."

Or it's all another fakeout of some kind, which is reasonably likely.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Season 2 was just a glitch in Delores dads processor from the upload of all that data and we are starting at the end of season one again for season 3.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This but True Detective. Also Heroes after the second season but before the third.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was so let down by the explanation for the lake full of bodies. that was such a great set up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

On Twitter as S2 aired ERW seemed to suggest a few times that she saw it as Delores still being in there, but she was just sick of everyones poo poo and genuinely out for revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was so let down by the explanation for the lake full of bodies. that was such a great set up.

Yeah I thought for sure they were going to pull them all up and the brain balls were going to be missing out of each one, in a satchel Dolores rode off with to the killbot printing factory