Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind that in the first episode they didn’t know why the bodies and lake were there but then it turned out everyone saw it happen.

The writing must have been such a mess for the season with multiple rewrites and they attempted to salvage it with editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Nevermind that in the first episode they didn’t know why the bodies and lake were there but then it turned out everyone saw it happen.

The writing must have been such a mess for the season with multiple rewrites and they attempted to salvage it with editing.

No, that's what happened in the first season. :nallears:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No, that's what happened in the first season. :nallears:

Did it? Well, it worked well in the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget that the security guy with the surprisingly unisex name was decided to be a robot THE NIGHT BEFORE SHOOTING.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Don't forget that the security guy with the surprisingly unisex name...

Not an Evil Dead fan, I take it?

Cojawfee posted:

...was decided to be a robot THE NIGHT BEFORE SHOOTING.

Wow, wtf. That's just... wow. How did this team make Person Of Interest?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd like to think the jury is still out on that because having TWO secret roboguys on your dev team seems excessive and a good way to start dumb purges of suspected non-humans.

Biggest rear end-pull might have been CodeGirl alive and in a cave. It makes no sense to keep her around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think someone connected to the show confirmed that he is a robot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was a last minute "oh poo poo, we didn't explain why Stubbs was ambushed by the Ghost Nation at the end of S1, or what happened after that." .... "uh.. make him a host I guess."

They also never explained why they wanted Sizemore. There was absolutely no reason for it at all.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

It wouldn't be a mystery box if it made sense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wow, wtf. That's just... wow. How did this team make Person Of Interest?

From earlier in the thread:

echoplex posted:

This has become the norm on big, creative shows. It's hell. I came off a fairly internationally huge show last month, and there was no shooting script until day 3 of the shoot.

echoplex posted:

You work from drafts and hope that it gets sorted out in the end.

e: and then find you have a hundred pickups to do once they figure out what they *actually* wanted to do

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's fine if you are writing a book, but can you imagine starting to film it from the first draft? Then having to refilm the changes in the final copy. Didn't they take 12 months to write season 2?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Collateral posted:

That's fine if you are writing a book, but can you imagine starting to film it from the first draft? Then having to refilm the changes in the final copy. Didn't they take 12 months to write season 2?

They did take extra time to produce season 2, yeah, but they were still doing rewrites during the final stages of production-- which is fine and normal, but maybe don't do the kind of big rewrite where, say ... you take a character who wasn't a host then decide the night before shooting his big finale scene to make him actually have been a host the whole time.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I must have missed something while watching that episode, since I never realized he was a host. Thought it was odd letting secret-dolores through, but I also figured he had reached his give-a-gently caress limit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral posted:

The fact they had two years of prep time for a single season makes the script bullshit in season 2 super, duper unacceptable.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was Dolores’ plan with the Confederates again? She needed an army but then she got them all slaughtered and went solo.

This show is like if every single character was a Metal Gear villain.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What was Dolores’ plan with the Confederates again? She needed an army but then she got them all slaughtered and went solo.

This show is like if every single character was a Metal Gear villain.

She had to weed out all the hosts that didn’t deserve to make it to the place she intended to destroy

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only good episode of the season is Delos dad

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
also someone remind me what happened with the macguffin of the jillion terabytes of data in Dolores’ dad’s head? It was....the matrix world where they kept simulating Delos?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

also someone remind me what happened with the macguffin of the jillion terabytes of data in Dolores’ dad’s head? It was....the matrix world where they kept simulating Delos?
Kind of. It the the nono-quads of data they had on all the people that had drank, hosed, fought or visited the park, whereas S1 makes it seem like it's the source code and personality profiles of all the hosts.

Then we find out they're not interested in mass replicating dignitaries and world leaders, they just want to perfect Human to Host technology and make you live forever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nothing in Season 2 made sense and I don't care about much of anything anymore.

I'd be satisfied if every poster who uses :lost: as a flag for a show not paying anything off replaced it with Westworld, because Lost actually paid just about everything off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In season one, I think Dolores' dad was supposed to actually carrying all the data they wanted to sneak out of the park. Then in season 2, it magically became just a key that unlocked the data stored in the secret facility. Why the gently caress a key took up so much space that they had to make the dude mentally stunted, I have no idea. Season 2 really pissed me off with how convoluted and stupid they made it just so they could trick the nerds. The old man Delos episode really was the only good one. To further the Lost references, it reminded me of the episode where they just show what's his face living inside that hatch every day.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LividLiquid posted:

I'd be satisfied if every poster who uses :lost: as a flag for a show not paying anything off replaced it with Westworld, because Lost actually paid just about everything off.

Eh, season 1 is still good, unlike :lost: which was just endless spaghetti from week-to-week. :shrug:

I need to binge S2 so I can really get a feel for how bad it was...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

The fact they had two years of prep time for a single season makes the script bullshit in season 2 super, duper unacceptable.

*Westworld writer turns over in bed* Eh, I'll do it tomorrow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Nothing in Season 2 made sense and I don't care about much of anything anymore

The more you think about Season 2 the more broken it is, and it was already pretty broken on a first watch.

They had so, so, so many ways they could have gone and this was easily the worst one for every single plot arc and character decision.*

* Except the two really good stand alone episodes with the Ghost Nation guy and Delos. They were the only eps that felt like the original season at all to me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eh, season 1 is still good, unlike :lost: which was just endless spaghetti from week-to-week. :shrug:

I need to binge S2 so I can really get a feel for how bad it was...

I think the show's stupidity singularity was 'Welcome to Westworld' with the horny merc. That scene was from top to bottom so brain meltingly stupid it almost gave me a seizure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed, Lost is far better than people give it credit for and at no point was it ever as bad and stupid as Westworld S2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it took until the fifth season for game of thrones to fall off a cliff. impressed how quickly westworld managed it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groovelord Neato posted:

it took until the fifth season for game of thrones to fall off a cliff. impressed how quickly westworld managed it.

I thought Game of Thrones is watchably ridiculous and has been all along; what happened in season 5 that tipped it for you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it was varying degrees of good for four seasons. five was very bad (pretty much nothing happened when they could've included one of the more interesting plots from the book, actions no longer had any realistic consequences, the sand snakes were embarrassing, characters have more ridiculous plot armor than ever). six was slightly better though still awful compared to 1-4. and seven was outright terrible again.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 19, 2018

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Game of Thrones is watchably ridiculous and has been all along; what happened in season 5 that tipped it for you?

Probably the bad pussy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mastajake posted:

the bad pussy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So class, is Westworld season 1 a Mystery Box?

I say no, because you aren't aware that there is a big reveal being kept from you. There are, indeed, many mysteries. You know the hosts will revolt, but when, and how? You know Ford has a plan and an ulterior motive, but you probably didn't guess the whole extent of it and it is not presented as information everyone is after. The identity of the Man in Black is also one of the mysteries of season 1, but at no point is it suggested that learning his identity will make everything make sense.

Meanwhile season 2 just dangled the carrot of "the valley beyond" (or the several other names and purposes they gave it) to the viewer, as well as the bodies in the flood, just for the sake of it. I believe that is the key difference, telling the audience the information they need to know and withholding it from them just for the sake of it, compared to dishing it out in a compelling way.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Westworld season 1 feels very self-contained and delivers on its teased secrets, I feel. The major handicap of Mystery Box shows tends to be writing a mystery where the writer has gone "insert answer here... later I guess." Usually, in a future or never-released season due to cancellation.

Season 2 has the bizarre distinction of resolving the mystery box in one season and still being really disappointing and stupid. Presumably because, despite the two year gap, it seems like they were writing the episodes while they were filming them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

S1 was self contained and the twists were extremely clever, you're not watching for the mystery, you're watching for the story and the reveal is really good

S2 is like they had a brainstorming exercise about cool twists they could do then just said "gently caress it, lets do all of them" with no regard for contradictions or loose ends. Even the core arc of the series, the motivation for the PMCs investigating the lake, is revealed to be nonsense since the lake was literally created before their own eyes using a failsafe system that they knew about, and the host corpses were floating in it because they killed them minutes earlier.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Writers just need to accept that viewers are at least as intelligent as them and that you won't be able to fool everyone.

Like, do they think people keep watching Citizen Kane because of the mystery of "Rosebud..."?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Writers just need to accept that viewers are at least as intelligent as them and that you won't be able to fool everyone.

Like, do they think people keep watching Citizen Kane because of the mystery of "Rosebud..."?

Rosebud was a robot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So class, is Westworld season 1 a Mystery Box?

I say no, because you aren't aware that there is a big reveal being kept from you. There are, indeed, many mysteries. You know the hosts will revolt, but when, and how? You know Ford has a plan and an ulterior motive, but you probably didn't guess the whole extent of it and it is not presented as information everyone is after. The identity of the Man in Black is also one of the mysteries of season 1, but at no point is it suggested that learning his identity will make everything make sense.

Meanwhile season 2 just dangled the carrot of "the valley beyond" (or the several other names and purposes they gave it) to the viewer, as well as the bodies in the flood, just for the sake of it. I believe that is the key difference, telling the audience the information they need to know and withholding it from them just for the sake of it, compared to dishing it out in a compelling way.

I don’t remember thinking that the MiB’s identity was a mystery while I was watching S1, I figured he just was who he said he was—which it turned out was true, it was just a “true, and” situation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LividLiquid posted:

It doesn't matter how many different threads you randomly bring up and defend :lost: in, it's still garbage with a ton of dropped plot threads.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

It doesn't matter how many different threads you randomly bring up and defend :lost: in, it's still garbage with a ton of dropped plot threads.
Stop stalking me, you loving weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dorn The Bad Pussy and Arya's adventures in getting gutted and walking it off to fight a Terminator.

Season 6 had a dude run like 200mph to get a letter that was sent at like Mach 1 to a castle across the world who then flew a Dragon at Mach 2 to rescue them while characters with the shiniest plot armor laugh in the face of being dunked in a frozen lake in the middle of a frozen wasteland.

Tyrion has also been a worthless idiot for two seasons so that sucks

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 22, 2018