Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elderbean posted:

The company has got to be pretty hosed after this, there's no way they'll be able to cover up hundreds of deaths. Then again, it seems they're only interested in the tech behind the hosts and the lawsuits that follow will be a drop in the bucket for them when they sell it.

Makes me wonder how much longer the show can conceivably stay in Westworld.

Lol, like every shot in the episode was littered with bodies.

Yeah it's pretty stupid. Showing a quarter of the bodies would achieve a much greater effect. This was just cartoonish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I think it's definitely going to have to be several more episodes before we can judge if Dolores' monologues are supposed to be corny in-fiction as well as outside it because it easily can be chunks of what was written for Wyatt shining through, just as easily as it can be just dumb writing

I'm leaning towards the former, if only because I don't remember feeling that the first season had terrible writing (Bernard's "what door?" is a masterpiece of a moment) + Maeve's insistence on finding her daughter also felt oddly stilted in the way the rest of her dialogue didn't.
How it was meant to be received is kind of irrelevant in my mind. Maybe it was supposed to be cool and they hosed up, maybe it was supposed to be over the top and kind of bizarre and they nailed it. Either way, she's explicitly adapting lines written by hacks, so it feels "right" to me, however the actual writers intended it.

She's spouting catchphrases that are initially eye-roll worthy, but make sense given the way she was built, with certain phrases pre-programmed into her. So when a Delos board member says, "Can't you see we're sorry?" and her robot brain processes it as an irrelevant statement, outside the scope of what she's supposed to be looking at, she says the words she's supposed to in that situation.

Did the Westworld writer think that should come off as cute or funny? Maybe. But if it comes off as awkward and tonally inappropriate... I mean, she's a robot hacking together consciousness out of a bunch of Western cliches. Of course she's going to be awkward and tonally inappropriate.

I guess what I'm saying is, the story is incredibly cool to me, so I'm going to roll with it as much as possible.

For the record I think her monologue is supposed to be a bit weirdly over the top, and they were probably trying to be cute rather than awkward with the "doesn't look like anything to me" line, but it works anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drunken officeparty posted:

How is it ever even possible to be a secret robot when they are all apparently giving a bunch of blutooth signals at all times.

One thing about this is that it answered my question of "if Dolores has achieved sentience, how is that all the other Hosts have done the same?". Could she have started spreading code to other Hosts that lets them also achieve it? And if so, how? Well, the Mesh Network is a really easy way of explaining this, regardless of any other issues with it.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is the unexpected sea with all the hosts dead in it going to end up being a biblical thing with Delores trying to split the sea and lead her people to the promised land?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Memento posted:

One thing about this is that it answered my question of "if Dolores has achieved sentience, how is that all the other Hosts have done the same?". Could she have started spreading code to other Hosts that lets them also achieve it? And if so, how? Well, the Mesh Network is a really easy way of explaining this, regardless of any other issues with it.

It seems very clear to me that not all have gained sentience. I imagine part of Dolores' journey this season will be trying to fully wake up Teddy and the others who are still not there yet.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Dolores seems totally different now, I wonder if she's going to maintain the same cadence.

Also, we know there are at least six parks now. Is everything going as planned on those parks? I want to see Samurai World.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Could floating dead Teddy have been scalped? I missed the actual closeup.

Theory on the sea of dead bodies: Dolores found out about the removable brains. She knew she couldn't hide all the hosts from the coming humans forever. So she rallied her host army, explained that she's going to bring everyone to the promised land, scalped them one by one, dumped the bodies in the lake, and made off out of there with a big bag of brains that she intends to keep safe from humans and put into more powerful bodies. She leaves only Bernard's brain in so he can be found and be a decoy while she gets away, and to hopefully infiltrate the Delos rescue effort while having admin privileges. She explains this to him in a dream world somehow the same way Arnold talked to her in a dream world, which probably means bodies off but brains turned on. The last thing Bernard remembers is Dolores leaving him behind on the beach so he can carry out his job.

What I'm not sure about it, why the dream. He's found in a different body of water, an ocean versus an lake, probably not connected or too far away for him to have washed up from where the other hosts were dumped. So I guess he must have walked to the beach in person so as to be found there, without his brain ever being scalped out. But I'm not sure how or why the dream sequence would take place with his body seemingly switched off / absent, or how that fits in.

There's probably some doubt in Dolores's mind that he'll succeed and not embrace the opportunity to be treated as human again like he's always identified as. But we see that he does try to convince the CEO dude "I killed them all", a seemingly implausible statement that could be his attempt at diversion. If that's true they'll probably be asking him very soon where he hid all the brains once they (and we the viewers) see the floaters have damaged heads. Or maybe Bernard really did do all the scalping himself.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 24, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Eiba posted:

Did the Westworld writer think that should come off as cute or funny?

Called her sentience into question. It looks like she's just running scripted plays to me.

Left me feeling that their goal was to create ambiguity between 'proto-consciousness drawing from prior experience' and 'someone set her playlist on random (but angry)'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So by the show's own admittance Dolores doesn't achieve sentience until the end of the season right? But she still has all the memories of everything that happened before she gained sentience, and is mad about it. There are Scarlet Crusaders I probably killed dozens of times back when I played WoW several years ago. If one of them gained sentience tomorrow am I retroactively on the hook for all those murders?

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

esperterra posted:

It seems very clear to me that not all have gained sentience. I imagine part of Dolores' journey this season will be trying to fully wake up Teddy and the others who are still not there yet.

I love that Delores talks about a reckoning (the host uprising) when she's stringing up those 3 people as a direct reference to Teddy's script that he always used to say to her when she would ask about actually running away together. "There'll be a reckoning first."

Also lol at the player piano playing the theme to The Sting.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

So by the show's own admittance Dolores doesn't achieve sentience until the end of the season right? But she still has all the memories of everything that happened before she gained sentience, and is mad about it. There are Scarlet Crusaders I probably killed dozens of times back when I played WoW several years ago. If one of them gained sentience tomorrow am I retroactively on the hook for all those murders?
Arnold recognized her capacity for sentience 35 years ago. She was always sentient in the sense that she had experiences and suffered since then. She just couldn't hear her own internal voice (and understand what it was) until she realized her chats with Arnold were just her own cognition. That's when she became self aware, but she had been acting on that internal voice for a while. It's not a sudden switch-flip into personhood

To your point though- the WoW mobs don't have the capacity for conciseness. You're fine. For now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Similarily we're shown that Maeve had been having recollections of past loops for quite some time, as well, with the sketches of the cleaning crew dudes she finds stuffed in her room.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Is the unexpected sea with all the hosts dead in it going to end up being a biblical thing with Delores trying to split the sea and lead her people to the promised land?

Teddy's last name is Flood.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm okay with Delores murdering all the humans. It's just a story and in this story the hosts are the heroes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You think this is just a story??!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This may have been answered already, but if nobody appears to know that Bernard is a host, then why did the chick with goggles have a card of him?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

esperterra posted:

Similarily we're shown that Maeve had been having recollections of past loops for quite some time, as well, with the sketches of the cleaning crew dudes she finds stuffed in her room.

They seem extremely commited to reusing the same host bodies and brainboxes over and over for 30 years. Apple doesn't even support last years Iphone models anymore.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I thought the cards were 'do not shoot these people' rather than 'shoot these people'

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

nwin posted:

This may have been answered already, but if nobody appears to know that Bernard is a host, then why did the chick with goggles have a card of him?

The prevailing theory is that the cards were to identify high priority rescues

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

They seem extremely commited to reusing the same host bodies and brainboxes over and over for 30 years. Apple doesn't even support last years Iphone models anymore.

Well you also (hopefully) don't gently caress your Iphone. ;)
One reason I could see for keeping them the same is human attachment => People (their customers) get attached to them and thus provide another reason to return.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Disney had the woman auction in their pirate ride for 50 years and probably kept it mostly the same all that time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

StarkingBarfish posted:

I thought the cards were 'do not shoot these people' rather than 'shoot these people'

The cards are very very obviously meant to be “these are high priority extraction targets” not “these are secret hosts”, how are people so bad at watching this show?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

The cards are very very obviously meant to be “these are high priority extraction targets” not “these are secret hosts”, how are people so bad at watching this show?

We can't be bothered to spell names correctly so why should we bother to watch the show we're talking about?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not following along with this thread (the correct decision, judging from this page alone) but I had one question: are people here largely interpreting the William/kidFord scene as tongue-in-cheek or not?

Like I've seen a lot of reviews complaining about the idea of that storyline, but I thought it was hilarious! Being like "ok ok ok so you did the maze......now you gotta find THE DOOR", with writers who will obviously be aware of what s1's main criticisms were.....I laughed a lot. Is it just me?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Not following along with this thread (the correct decision, judging from this page alone) but I had one question: are people here largely interpreting the William/kidFord scene as tongue-in-cheek or not?

Like I've seen a lot of reviews complaining about the idea of that storyline, but I thought it was hilarious! Being like "ok ok ok so you did the maze......now you gotta find THE DOOR", with writers who will obviously be aware of what s1's main criticisms were.....I laughed a lot. Is it just me?

Yeah I think that and

"The one role I've yet to play is...."

*Dolores turns to stare into the camera*

"Myself."

are the show leaning into its ridiculousness a bit. I like it a lot.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Elderbean posted:

Dolores seems totally different now, I wonder if she's going to maintain the same cadence.

Also, we know there are at least six parks now. Is everything going as planned on those parks? I want to see Samurai World.

HOW DO THE SWORDS WORK

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

What door?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought that was hilarious too and I really hope it was unintentional because half the fun of Westworld is that it thinks it's being profound.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

HOW DO THE SWORDS WORK

Now that hosts can kill people, they probably don’t have to answer that question.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The drowned hosts happened because Bernard released a biblical flood on them for being naughty.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, I'm thinking Bernard blew the last levy and drowned all of the hosts, and maybe Charlotte as well. They all got swept inland, while Bernard was blown out to sea and washed up on shore.

~SYMBOLISM~

I'm guessing this is the same Bernard from last season and not a duplicate: the brain damage seems to be from his semi-self-inflicted gunshot wound last season. That would also explain why his brainjuice is leaking out...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think this show is just trying to be Genesis.

Ford is God, and he shaped the the consciousness of Dolores/Teddy based on his own intentions. It's sentience on his terms. He also made Maeve to be the adversary, like God made Satan, but she rebelled, like Satan. She's going to tempt Dolores and Teddy with a realer consciousness that goes against Ford's plans.

And then all of robotkind was wiped out in a cataclysmic flood for some reason idk. Maybe Bernard is Jesus.

e: there will probably be a tower of babel metaphor at some point where the robots can't talk to each other

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
While not unexpected, since that happens with every science fiction show, introducing a whole lot of diagnostics and communications tech seems a bit at odds with what happened in season 1. Back then, everyone was puzzled about some strange behavior of some hosts and had to do a whole lot of dumb poo poo (like interviews), now they're yanking out LED bulbs from their heads and playing back YouTube videos. And suddenly there's a mesh network for communications, whereas in season 1 they had to GPS track and then retrieve them by hand.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Combat Pretzel posted:

While not unexpected, since that happens with every science fiction show, introducing a whole lot of diagnostics and communications tech seems a bit at odds with what happened in season 1. Back then, everyone was puzzled about some strange behavior of some hosts and had to do a whole lot of dumb poo poo (like interviews), now they're yanking out LED bulbs from their heads and playing back YouTube videos. And suddenly there's a mesh network for communications, whereas in season 1 they had to GPS track and then retrieve them by hand.

For the brains, they introduced this concept last seasons when Maeve self-immolated so that Felix could remove her bomb-vertebrae. They were explicit that the only functional difference between host and human physiology was the brain. I think even the USB slots were there last season, they just didn't use it often.

I can hand wave the last bit: GPS is easier when everything is working. But now they are in the secret Delos basement and probably don't have access to the normal tracking systems: hence Bernard's workaround.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the tech dude also mentioned a chance of contamination or something when removing the brain, so maybe going that far is generally not something they do. also the interviews were generally performed by the behavior team, who would presumably want to suss out issues by just talking to the host directly and checking it against their tablets.

there's an element of arrogance to everything the humans were doing with regards to the hosts in season 1, so a lot of issues can probably be chalked up to incompetence and hubris

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For the brains, they introduced this concept last seasons when Maeve self-immolated so that Felix could remove her bomb-vertebrae. They were explicit that the only functional difference between host and human physiology was the brain. I think even the USB slots were there last season, they just didn't use it often.

I can hand wave the last bit: GPS is easier when everything is working. But now they are in the secret Delos basement and probably don't have access to the normal tracking systems: hence Bernard's workaround.

You know, I totally did not connect that they were assembling Maeve's spine in that one scene.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I wonder why the Delos mercs didn't just land on the beach and send out the "host spine explodes" signal.

Dolores and Maeve could have started cranking out replacement hosts since they control the island, so the hosts that were friendly to their cause could have already been replaced by non-explodey models.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pick your poison: they want to make sure they know the situation first, they want to recover as many of the hosts as intact as possible, there isn't actually a "host spine explodes" signal and it was part of Maeve's controlled narrative, or it would short circuit the entire story and there needs to actually be a show to watch

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can someone help me identify a song?

I'm looking for the name of the little piano melody that plays during S1, I think it's got some significance to the hosts and perhaps it puts them to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bedshaped posted:

Can someone help me identify a song?

I'm looking for the name of the little piano melody that plays during S1, I think it's got some significance to the hosts and perhaps it puts them to sleep.

you'd have to be more specific, but here's the full OST with timestamps/names in the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn7HvvhfRCg