Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
William of Occam would have us all burned at the stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gently caress yeah, Westworld S2 and Legion S2, April gonna rule

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well that's Ben Barnes in the scene (and I can't quite tell if that's Tellulah Riley as well, could go either way). Occam's Razor suggests it's more flashbacks with the brother-in-law.

Yeah, I can see this season still relying on the two timeline format (though transparently now), or heavy use of flashbacks, which makes me happy because I would like to see more of the park as it was, how it grew, etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Kanye song is a cover done by the shows composure you can already buy on iTunes. Edit: Apple Music and Spotify

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 5, 2018

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Nolan told EW that some of that footage was filmed specifically for the trailer and won't be in season 2.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say its the bulls because that's an attention getter, but also something we can pretty much infer unless Season 2 starts right at the moment season 1 ended.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's all completely trailer-only footage. The second season will take place entirely in feudal Japan. Not Samurai World. Feudal Japan.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is there a season 3 premier date yet?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Caufman posted:

It's all completely trailer-only footage. The second season will take place entirely in feudal Japan. Not Samurai World. Feudal Japan.

the weird thing is that it's actual feudal japan and not a simulation

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This isn't even the true nature of reality. This is all a dream in the mind of a dying samurai.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

"We decided to honor the spirit of Westworld's sequel and be as what the gently caress as possible."

Can you imagine the fan outrage if a few episodes in a bunch of Samauri just teleport in out of nowhere while some reporter woman has a slow mo musical love montage with The Man in Black in VR for some reason?

ED: Seriously Future World is a fascinating movie. It's got tons of good ideas but it's not good at all, which makes for a strange film. The first Westworld I think is wildly overrated and when I saw it years after The Terminator I went "Holy poo poo, James Cameron -really- based Terminator on this," and then read that indeed, he made Arnold watch the movie repeatedly to get the movements. Hell Future World feels like it needs a cut-away card "MISSING REEL" like Grindhouse near the end, and there never was any reason to have a space setting because they literally never used it. It's just.. like I said, fascinating in a cultural oddity kind of way.

I can't bring myself to hate or even dislike it even though it's pretty objectively a total mess. Plus like I said, there are a bunch of good ideas just scattershot all over the place.

nerdman42 posted:

Nolan told EW that some of that footage was filmed specifically for the trailer and won't be in season 2.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say its the bulls because that's an attention getter, but also something we can pretty much infer unless Season 2 starts right at the moment season 1 ended.

Trailer only footage can be great at misleading people to plot elements while still providing a very good trailer.

My favorite trailer bait-and-switch ever was from 28 Weeks Later. Not sure if any of you remember the ad that played all the time but it always, oddly, ended on a then unknown Jeremy Renner doing a slow motion wink at the camera. It was done in such a way I went into the movie going "I wonder what the hell that was about."

Then it gets to the part of the movie leading up to that oddly placed trailer ending wink and he explodes into flame before dying screaming instead.

I don't know if anyone much noticed it, at least consciously, but I still have to give a slow clap to the trailer editor. Made that moment twice as memorable as it'd been otherwise.

ED: I also need to point out the difference between intentionally recording footage to mislead the audience away from plot points in a trailer, which REALLY is a good idea to help the 'trailers give away everything!' problem and something like Rogue One where watching the trailer makes it utterly clear they remade the loving movie. Hell, watching the movie you can tell they remade the movie. I mean there were a lot of major shots and lines that clearly were from an alternate reality version

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 5, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blazing Ownager posted:

"We decided to honor the spirit of Westworld's sequel and be as what the gently caress as possible."

Can you imagine the fan outrage if a few episodes in a bunch of Samauri just teleport in out of nowhere while some reporter woman has a slow mo musical love montage with The Man in Black in VR for some reason?

ED: Seriously Future World is a fascinating movie. It's got tons of good ideas but it's not good at all, which makes for a strange film. The first Westworld I think is wildly overrated and when I saw it years after The Terminator I went "Holy poo poo, James Cameron -really- based Terminator on this," and then read that indeed, he made Arnold watch the movie repeatedly to get the movements. Hell Future World feels like it needs a cut-away card "MISSING REEL" like Grindhouse near the end, and there never was any reason to have a space setting because they literally never used it. It's just.. like I said, fascinating in a cultural oddity kind of way.

I can't bring myself to hate or even dislike it even though it's pretty objectively a total mess. Plus like I said, there are a bunch of good ideas just scattershot all over the place.

Trailer only footage can be great at misleading people to plot elements while still providing a very good trailer.

My favorite trailer bait-and-switch ever was from 28 Weeks Later. Not sure if any of you remember the ad that played all the time but it always, oddly, ended on a then unknown Jeremy Renner doing a slow motion wink at the camera. It was done in such a way I went into the movie going "I wonder what the hell that was about."

Then it gets to the part of the movie leading up to that oddly placed trailer ending wink and he explodes into flame before dying screaming instead.

I don't know if anyone much noticed it, at least consciously, but I still have to give a slow clap to the trailer editor. Made that moment twice as memorable as it'd been otherwise.

ED: I also need to point out the difference between intentionally recording footage to mislead the audience away from plot points in a trailer, which REALLY is a good idea to help the 'trailers give away everything!' problem and something like Rogue One where watching the trailer makes it utterly clear they remade the loving movie. Hell, watching the movie you can tell they remade the movie. I mean there were a lot of major shots and lines that clearly were from an alternate reality version

The new Star Wars is a hilarious mess of bad ideas thrown at the wall haphazardly and I bet we start seeing a wave of nostalgia for the prequels next...

I do want to see whatever it is Bernard is doing with making giant, eye-less monster-machines? I want some of that, from the trailer!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most important and lasting impression I have from The Matrix was the celerity with which machines ditches bipedal shapes. They remain as humanoids up until they no longer need to interact with humans politically and then they go all Lovecraftian. Terminator is cool but all the skeleton-men are extremely dated and the way the robots from The Matrix series are all these weird amorphous shapes based off practical, streamlined applications and now every time robots are presented as Androids I get huffy, so in my wildest dreams the Westworld hosts will eventually rehaul the manufacturing center and be like "uh, ok, gimme a horse body and a tiger mouth where the belly is and bull horns and like 10 loving wings with hydraulic motors so i can fly like a humming bird and..."

That trailer is loving so lit.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Is there a season 3 premier date yet?

April 24, 2022

But april 22 this year for S2.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This was my favorite commercial from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpEJRsHefM

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The only thing in the trailer that won't be in S2 is the last shot where Delores speaks to the camera:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/05/jonathan-nolan-westworld-season-2-trailer/

Also, for anyone who just saw the live spot on TV: the YouTube version has some extra stuff scenes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://nerdist.com/westworld-website-6-parks-delos-founder-season-2

The website suggests 6 parks in total, and reveals the founder of Delos.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I bet we start seeing a wave of nostalgia for the prequels next...

Not sure if you've been reading elsewhere on SA but.. it has begun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The new Star Wars is a hilarious mess of bad ideas thrown at the wall haphazardly and I bet we start seeing a wave of nostalgia for the prequels next...

Regardless of the status of the new Star Wars, Rogue One is.. an odd duck.

The music had to be redone, start to finish, in like three weeks. Major, major scenes in the trailer are missing or wildly changed (the giant tie fighter that rises up into view.. not in the movie) and characters are all jumbled, like Whittaker's character who gives up and dies for no reason in the final cut but has some heroic death clearly in the trailer. Then the whole final battle is edited totally out of order, which is doubly odd given all the marketing for the final battle was focusing on things from the original cut, like the main Imperial guy and his squad fighting them on the beach, when in the movie he never even leaves the ship.

This wasn't trailer misleading, this was a movie that got thrown out and rebuilt from scrap in three months. It's really bizarre.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

The most important and lasting impression I have from The Matrix was the celerity with which machines ditches bipedal shapes. They remain as humanoids up until they no longer need to interact with humans politically and then they go all Lovecraftian. Terminator is cool but all the skeleton-men are extremely dated and the way the robots from The Matrix series are all these weird amorphous shapes based off practical, streamlined applications and now every time robots are presented as Androids I get huffy, so in my wildest dreams the Westworld hosts will eventually rehaul the manufacturing center and be like "uh, ok, gimme a horse body and a tiger mouth where the belly is and bull horns and like 10 loving wings with hydraulic motors so i can fly like a humming bird and..."

The The Terminator's defense, the metal men were only infiltrators. You can argue that the opening of T2 shows a bunch of standard exoskeleton foot soldiers but as far as the only two movies that matter (and not games) that's it.

The majority of Skynet's future weapons were not humanoid, just the ones designed to sneak in and destroy humans. My favorite being the giant 'mech-tank, where it's got huge tank treats but also a torso and arms. Sentient planes and stuff are also used by Skynet. Then there's the T1000 which has the potential to be anything including an infiltrator.

So I can't give too much poo poo to Terminator for this. Actually I'd never thought, until your post, about the fact the T2 exoskeleton soldiers were a continuity error of sorts. But they sort of are. In T1 the only Terminators you are are assassins and everything else is an automated vehicle of sorts.

ED: If you ever saw the TV show, now I'm thinking about Cromartie and how he, once he got a new CPU, couldn't understand why human forms are limited and why any machine would copy that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 5, 2018

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
God I can't wait to get more monologues set to insane piano covers.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shneak posted:

God I can't wait to get more monologues set to insane piano covers.

Fun fact, if you want to hear some good monologues set to the compose of Westworld's music (and Game of Thrones), go play System Shock 2.

L-l-look at you, Shneak. A pathetic creature of flesh and bone.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fun fact, if you want to hear some good monologues set to the compose of Westworld's music (and Game of Thrones), go play System Shock 2.

L-l-look at you, Shneak. A pathetic creature of flesh and bone.

:psyboom:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.delosdestinations.com/

not two, not three, but six parks??

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*punches you in the ear*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think we can easily assume Romeworld and Medievalworld, since they were in the first movie, I wonder what the other two could be. God I hope they have a Jurassicworld!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Professor Shark posted:

I think we can easily assume Romeworld and Medievalworld, since they were in the first movie, I wonder what the other two could be. God I hope they have a Jurassicworld!

Futureworld, and one more. Probably some kinda dinosaur thing because: of course

Maybe a TinyWorld?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's CorporateWorld.

This time, you're the fucks from QA!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

It's CorporateWorld.

This time, you're the fucks from QA!

No, the 6th World is Zombie World. It's where Walking Dead is happening, since Negan seems to be a guest and everyone else is a host that gets their personality reset every episode.

It's made from recycled hosts that got too maimed to be useful in other parks, for the more 'budget minded' tourist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Futureworld, and one more. Probably some kinda dinosaur thing because: of course

Maybe a TinyWorld?

Racist plantation world, if they’re going to try recycling whatever they shot of that series idea from the GoT guys everyone ripped on from last year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
How about Game of Thrones World? Cameos from the entire cast, and they could even shoot on some of the same sets. Who wouldn't lose their poo poo over an unofficial crossover?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflecopper posted:

gently caress yeah, Westworld S2 and Legion S2, April gonna rule

Seriously anyone who wrote Legion off as "another superhero show" fix that. It's one of the most creative shows on network TV.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Legion fuckin’ owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfE3TDJwHs

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How about Game of Thrones World? Cameos from the entire cast, and they could even shoot on some of the same sets. Who wouldn't lose their poo poo over an unofficial crossover?

I'd probably stop watching Westworld if this happened because if they did something like that I'd know they're creatively bankrupt.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd probably stop watching Westworld if this happened because if they did something like that I'd know they're creatively bankrupt.

Waiting for Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant to show up in Westworld.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If there are really that many parks than in suddenly no longer certain this show takes place on Earth

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

If there are really that many parks than in suddenly no longer certain this show takes place on Earth

It never has been certain, but judging by Crichton's other works, it's almost certainly an island off the coast of either Central America or Asia.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bring back old gbs posted:

Maybe a TinyWorld?

One of the parks is Parkworld that just contains the rest of the parks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

One of the parks is Parkworld that just contains the rest of the parks

Westworld S2: One of the parks is Parkworld

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Robotworld. Where everyone is a robot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

That would explain the fancy paused party in the trailer.