Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was real pissy for most of the episode from the moment I realized I wasn't getting any plot advance on Bernard, but it was really well done, the moment in the cold storage was heartbreaking, and realizing now that it's Orpheus with Native Americans is great.

I feel like it humanized the plight of the hosts better than anything else in this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Interesting how the maze showing up in Kissy's scalp from s1 now works because he was likely repurposed Ghost Nation.

Anyone know if this was the rumored episode that was produced like after this season launched? I think people mentioned that way early in this thread, and it seems appropriate since very few of the regular actors show up in this one.

Also pfft at William establishing at the start of the episode that he doesn't understand Lakota just so his daughter can talk poo poo about him at the end.

Pellisworth posted:

Slight pedantry...

Just want to say, real cool to have your perspective on this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
When the Heart-shaped Box piano cover started it struck me how much better a somber cover of a familiar song is when it isn't being sung over by a high-pitched waif like in every friggin trailer from the past decade.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

I gotta wonder what the hell Ford was doing before Akecheta walked in on him. "don't mind me, just having some fun creating a gruesome scene for my instagram account, now let's chat".

I mean, it's visually a striking setpiece, but even for a park that's about narratives and (homocidal) dynamic intelligences, it was pretty disconnected from any and everything else that goes on in the park.

But the devil's gotta unwind somehow, I guess.

I figured he walked in on a scripted sequence of the dudes hunting a bear and froze them to have a look at their scalps. Doesn't explain why that'd be happening at night, unless he's just been carving since daytime.

Or, he got sidetracked with carving while he was composing a cool bear hunt for guests to see from a distance? Makes sense that he does that at night.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

tino posted:

I seem to remember hosts have GPS tracking built in in Season 1, Season 2 definitely pretend the hosts don't have GPS tracking.

Does it? I think at one point Fares Fares (I can't remember, but also don't care what his character's name is) talked about picking up satellite signals again to find all the hosts in the surprise lake.

Also surely it's the only way Bernard is finding Abernathy.

Why did Charlotte need Bernard for that anyway?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

tino posted:

If they talk about picking up signal in the desert and lose signal in the jungle at lease that can explain away losing track of Dolores army in s2.

I don't think we've been given any reason why they (temporarily) lost the ability to track hosts, but I think it's one of those things we're not supposed to ask about.

drunken officeparty posted:

Between seasons I thought I had read that Anthony Hopkins wouldn’t be returning. Maybe a little voice work like the robot kid. The dude is like 137 years old I’m surprised his character wasn’t strapped to a dialysis machine to get him on camera.

Haven't you seen that video he tweeted where he's dancing around like a deranged buffoon? He still seems energetic enough.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Regarding akecheta and not being discovered for 10 years without getting upgraded reminds me of a story a prof told our class during a lesson on queuing algorithms. Apparently some old mainframe was being decommissioned for some reason and the sysadmin discovered a job that had been running for years that never finished/ never killed.

>_learn_why_humans_cry

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm very impressed with Katja Herbers' lack of accent, her English sounds practically immaculate. Speaking as a Dutch guy, at least.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that was oddly something to notice. Especially cause there was some poor naked lady out of focus behind him for the whole thing.

It also made me wonder in the full-body paint job wouldn't be easier to just print on the host bodies.

Something unrelated: I'm sad Clementine never played a bigger role in this past season, I was hoping they'd find a way to bring her back from purgatory. The fact that Angrla Sarafyan's name was in the opening credits made me think she'd have a bigger role, but I guess that was her agent's prerequisite for getting to zombie her around for seven epidodes.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Poor Elsie. So alone, so sad.

So hot in her black tank top

I'm foreseeing a big problem here where lots of characters get offed and no real good ones have been introduced to take their place. Like before this episode I would've thought Emily was going to be a big player. Real curious where the last episode is going to take, and leave this.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 18, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

Close, he said Delos broke it, and William showed confusion in that he had no idea about it.

Ford said this in response to William telling him the agreement was that Ford gets to have his stories, but he has to stay out of the valley/project. There might be more to it, but I took it as Ford referring to season 1's attempts to push Ford out of the park before his time.

edit: I don't think William's a host, it's all about him losing grip on reality to the point that he 'questions the nature of his reality,' but now that I think about it, I could also see the showrunners being deliberately non-committal about it to cause more speculation. We might never get a straight answer, neither next episode nor next season. :(

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 18, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The hat thing wasn't great, but I really groaned when Bernard said "It's called The Forge." You could practically hear the writer stroking themselves there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Teddy Flood is an anagram of Floody Tedd

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Batmasterson posted:

Ford standing up in the bar and saying "No, William, I think perhaps one final game" to... himself, I guess, was one of the corniest thing's I've seen on tv in a while.

Oh yeah. I did really like his line about Westworld being William's self-portrait, but not a flattering one. But it's hard to tell how much of that is Hopkins's delivery.

Also Ford getting enotional during his speech at Maeve. I loved that whole scene, especially because at first it feels like a final goodbye, but then it turns out that no, he's finally letting her go be herself.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Why did William never wonder what happened to his profile after he hid it inside the book? You would think he would know something so important went missing.

That was ridiculously contrived because he had no reason not to stick the card in his pocket. Hiding something in a book is what you do if police are knocking on the door to take you in and frisk you.

Ed Harris: why am I putting it in the book tho
Director: just put it in the book ed

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

tino posted:

It would be Dolores POV view of getting raped.

Yeah, why would it be William's POV? Though it'd be funny if it turned out the hats also had cameras all this time. Huge, noisy ones.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

If Billy owns Delos which owns WW, why does he have to gently caress around for 30 years waiting for Ford to jump off the deep end and let the hosts go crazy. Why can’t he just send out an email like “hey, turn the bullet protection off I wanna be able to die tia”

Probably because "my boss told me to kill him" doesn't hold up in court

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That was definitely not great. Hammy dialogue and weird contrivances (Clem's power only works at close range, Maeve doesn't remember her superpower until it's too late, her gang is somehow not affected, etc).

The temptation with this kind of show is to keep exposing characters as hosts even though that's a real bad idea cause it works only once. Though I do kinda hope the first episode of the last season starts out exactly like the pilot, but then a few minutes in turns out it's just all hosts.

I think we can safely say the attempt to make a satisfying late-stage twist was a failure, though I do want to rewatch the season and put it all to a proper timeline. Anyway, season was rocky but I'm down for another one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wait a minute if the muffins are bulletproof why was Teddy bleeding out of the other side of his head

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know Thompson had to chew through a lot of terrible dialogue this season and I didn't like her character much, but I thought her impression of Dolores was pretty good. :shrug:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

Unfortunately no-one has invented a trackball detector yet. If it becomes an issue next season then the hosts will have to start using optical lasers instead.

Unfortunately the trackballs keep accumulating dust, which causes the hosts to no longer be able to walk left or right.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know giving the writers credit at this point is optimistic at best, but for those of you pointing out that Lee's sacrifice disproves the Forge AI's argument that humans are very basic and simple and never change, have you considered that it might be on purpose? As in, the Delos AI has simply reached a wrong conclusion. I could see the next seasons covering that, as Maeve tries to convince others hosts that humans can change, Dolores wants to kill them all and Bernard whispers to himself in a gravelly voice. I'm not saying I think that sounds interesting or good, just that it might be intentional.

Some other thoughts after letting the episode sink in:

Holy poo poo was Dolores's dialogue bad at the meeting point between her, William and Bernard. She actually started saying poo poo like "I should've known you'd be here", and "Fitting" like some comic book villain. I guess you could still argue she's using the words that her human writers gave her, and those were for a hammy villain character named Wyatt, but pointing out why something's lovely doesn't really make it not lovely.

Did Theresa's actress, Sidse Babett Knudsen, voice the computer inside the Forge? It sounded kind of like her, doing a cameo.

I think Armistice literally did not say a word this whole season. It's weirdly like half the returning actors were brought on with promises of "look, we're going to write you something cool to do, promise" and then at the end, oops, bye.

I feel solidarity with other posters that fell in love with Elsie and are saddened by her death. I really don't hope they bring her back as a host though, because being human and having only one death to die is kind of the last bit of stakes characters have in this show now. The hosts have been made a little too indestructable. Though that was kind of an issue in season 1 too, when Bernard shot himself in the head and came back anyway.

Oh, and:

Any kind of author of an ongoing work should never loving engage with their fans because it's death. At least in this case, if the bit about them trying to outsmart Reddit is true.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Durzel posted:

Just a reminder that the same show brought us scenes like this: https://youtu.be/F7TR50Mnwpw

:smith:

fuuuck

Did this season really have the same people writing it as the first one? Really?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I forget exactly, Bernard cancelled the mass delete & draining of the coolant water about halfway, didn't he? So there's still lots of people scans left in there?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Remember when we spent multiple episodes watching Dolores gather a Confederalo army for no goddamn reason that went nowhere

Almost nothing that was built up actually makes sense in hindsight, and the twist of Hale being Dolores seems as made up at the 11th hour as Stubbs's weird little final dialogue. Writing this season seems like it was that party game where you draw part of a creature and then fold the paper over it and make another person draw the next part.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know the guns are mysterious and I certainly barely know enough about guns to not put one in my mouth every day, but I still wondered how you can get a mashed plaque of bullet tip into a revolver that I assume takes smooth cartridges? And still manage to close the cylinder?

Would that rad-sounding buckshot chamber be big enough for that?

Edit: okay, she pushed it into the barrel, that makes me understand why it would make his gun blow up in the first place. Scuse me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Re: nonexistent claims of confusion, I did, up to and through the finale, feel a bit disoriented every time Bernard shows up, sometimes actually pausing to consider where in the timeframe it was. But I honestly enjoyed those bits and puzzling that out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every time I remember the hats, I think of that guy who interrupts Hector's dramatic speech in s1, who I believe never wears a hat at all.

Ridiculous. Just saying "oh, we tag the guests with subdermal chips and btw they keep sending data after they leave the park" would've been creepy violation enough, if it gets complicated you could say it's an independent unit that they secretly remove st the detox resort.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

but i thot the hats were a cute moment lol and almost felt like William was loving with Emily so I can forgive it

If they turn it into a dad joke I will forgive everything.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Reddit is Jonathan Nolan's Fox & Friends.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's a shame they went full robot uprising at the end of season 1. I could have imagined a season of Westworld being (almost) nothing but little vignette episodes of hosts waking up in the midst of their role, and learning how to deal with reality, the knowledge of guests and park techs, in their own various ways. Basically like Maeve and Akechita. You could've had different directors each week trying their hand at it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

A hundred years from now the other hosts hit Alpha Centauri and get picked up by an alien race and built again. Westworld: In Space!

Emily is an alien. Bookmarking this for future snarkrence.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveKap posted:

That Q&A with the ... writer? producer? director? I dunno who. It seemed to indicate that this is the last we'll see of Anthony Hopkins.

Did they then throw their head back and laugh menacingly?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

I have no clue about thread consensus on this show, but I just got around to finishing this with my friend and I have to say it really felt it has absolutely gone off the rails.

Nooo don't mention the train again

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Holy gently caress am I excited for a Deadwood movie.

Holy poo poo what yes

I'll believe it when I see it though, Deadwood has been how long ago? And is it on any streaming services? Public consciousness about it can't be great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Shogunworld was pretty, but the whole time I was impatiently thinking "none of this matters or has the slightest impact on the show's real world, it's just robots playing out their story."

There was no tension, even Sakura's death felt pointless.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey, if I see a host walking around that I'm not assigned to work on? *stretches, folds arms behind head* Noooot myyyy proooobleeeem.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

The fact they had two years of prep time for a single season makes the script bullshit in season 2 super, duper unacceptable.

*Westworld writer turns over in bed* Eh, I'll do it tomorrow.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Westworld season 1 feels very self-contained and delivers on its teased secrets, I feel. The major handicap of Mystery Box shows tends to be writing a mystery where the writer has gone "insert answer here... later I guess." Usually, in a future or never-released season due to cancellation.

Season 2 has the bizarre distinction of resolving the mystery box in one season and still being really disappointing and stupid. Presumably because, despite the two year gap, it seems like they were writing the episodes while they were filming them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Uh... remember how I said we had 5 seasons planned out? Well, I uh... I lost the cocktail napkin."