Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What I find the most unbelievable thing in this universe is that they created perfect robots with human-like AI and the only use they got for them is to use them as NPCs in a live action RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, makes sense, but still: its a whole lot of money that was required to build those parks and perfect the robot tech, and unless Ford and Arnold were billionaries to begin with (I dont remember if they were), it would require people heavily investing on them from the beginning who would probably immediately realize this tech (even the old one, from when Willian was still young) could generate a lot more money if applied to basically anything else. It would change the world to something like what we see on the Humans show

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 24, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A videogame NPC cant feel pain or terror. I can be programmed to display a simulation of those feelings, thats all. It does not feels, period

I think the real questions are: do the hosts actually feel anything, instead of just displaying simulations of feelings, and how can we know it and what that even means?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serf posted:

questions like this rule because they remind you that no amount of shitposting will prevent the exact kind of thinking that will make the robot revolution so fuckin righteous

do you actually feel anything? or do you just display simulations of feelings

I do feel, and I would guess you do to because you are built like me, we are animals

Hosts are machines. How can you make a machine feel and what would that even mean?

They can be programmed to act in a certain way if they are supposed to be scared, to scream if they are hurt, to look happy if they are pleased etc etc. But how could they feel? Not saying its impossible per se, but that's the important question, to me

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Basebf555 posted:

The stuff you feel is only occurring to you because of electrical signals firing off in your brain, neurons. At what point an artificially built machine would attain the same level of complexity that our brains have is a mystery, but it doesn't mean it's impossible for a man made thing to feel emotions.

But even with something as simple as physical pain: we could program a robot to receive a signal if his body is hurt, for sure. Thats simple. But pain aint just a signal: its something that *feels* bad (and that's the reason is evil to make people feel pain). You can program the signal, but how you can program a signal that feels good or feels bad?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serf posted:

how are you this close and yet so far

Enlighten me then. How you would go around programming a machine that could feel something like what we know pain feels like? Not only getting a signal that tells its program that its being damaged, not only to understand that this is bad for it, but to feel that overwhelming inescapable horrible sensation that can make a human prefer to die than to keep feeling it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serf posted:

ignoring that weird end bit there (plenty of people live with pain and don't like kill themselves because their slipped disc hurts them), pain is nothing more than the body reacting to damage. that's it. if a machine can be designed to respond to damage to its physical form with an attempt to prevent the damage from continuing, then you have by definition made it feel pain

to hoist myself by my own petard here, my definition of pain is pretty narrow and could do with some polishing up and revising, but this is a shitpost on something awful so this is what you get for now

Stuff like torture, do you ever heard about that? It can make people beg to be killed.

Is not just a signal: my phone gives me plenty of signals, that can mean things good or bad to me. But they dont come with a physical sensation that is unpleasant to feel. And that's the difficult part: how could a machine have that experience? What in it could give it something like that sensation?

edit: keep in mind that I dont have any answers nor I think I do, and "feel" is in itself something very hard to define. Im just wondering about the possibilities and implications of a machine that could feel pain, like the hosts suposily do

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serf posted:

you can't just jump right to the most extreme pain ever that does in fact make people want to die and say that describes all pain

your second part is just dumb and was covered above when someone pointed out that all sensations, feelings and thoughts are just the result of signals carried around by your nervous system.

I never said that, I said pain CAN do that. I guess you cant read

That's surely why you think you have perfect answers to philosophical questions people have been debating for thousands of years and so you think "its a signal" solves everything

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think the last episode pretty much proves it cant be a computer simulation

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

eyebeem posted:

Should we get into the "what year does this take place, what's the present value of that $40,000" discussion?

No, no we shouldn't.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Collateral posted:

I wonder at the times and dates they have mentioned. Arnold was killed 35 years ago but their last major incident was 30, what happened 30 years ago is linked to William and will be part of the plot of this season.

I think Maeve was the bot that was expected with "the package" and that Abernathy was exactly what Charlotte said he was, insurance. I really don't see what Ford's endgame was if it was his idea, rather he used her cornerstone to prevent her from leaving with the data.

Also one of the worlds is going to be Pirate world. All you need is water, ships and a few islands.

Magic water that only drowns robots, not humans

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really liked Ep 2

The encounter of Maeve and Dolores I think really shows how different their "awakeness" is. While they both know what they are now, Maeve seems more truly free: she wants her daughter because she is real for her, and that's it. Dolores still seems to be following a script, now of this grand robot-rebellion and revenge

And Im just loving how much fun William is having now that the game is for real. And Lawerence is so great, Im glad his back and once again traveling with MiB

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ArmZ posted:

if elsie isn't back soon I am going to be loving PISSED :cheeky:

Im pretty sure she will, considering they never showed us a body

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It was confirmed on episode 1 that the park is on an island in China or Im misremembering?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 1, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wafflecopper posted:

So if i got to an ep or two into S2 before losing interest I can safely conclude it's not for me? Even once the serial part of the show got going it still felt very bad-guy-of-the-week with extremely predictable twists (the perp is actually... the victim! Next ep: the victim... is actually the perp! :rolleyes: ) and a boring wise-cracking Mary Sue protagonist

I watched the most part of season 1 and also could not understand what SA loves so much about this show. You are not alone

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nah, if I have to skip episodes to enjoy a Tv show than is definitely not for me

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

I thought both those shows ended well enough. The anger over BSG surprised me the most, that's another show I binged and lol the religious stuff was way up in that show from day one.

That Starbuck stuff was a choice tho lmao

I actually liked the ending of BSG. What I didint liked was the way the Cylons become completely nonsense along the way

As for Lost, the matter with the ending is that it was like they added a whole new layer to the story to be able to wrap it up and this new layer wanst very interesting to begin with

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

The Final Five stuff got convoluted af, though some of ths reveals I did love. In general BSG's ending felt right to me tho.

I didint mind the final five per se but by the end of the series I coulndt tell what the gently caress is the difference between a cylon and a regular human anymore (besides the fact cylons would upload when they die)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If you ever played GTA and managed to resist the temptation of running over random people then you really deserve the Videogame White Hat Hero Badge

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do you think pain works in living things?

Here we go again

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Shooting the robots is fine

yes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

To the point about killing, it kind of looks like they are setting up a redemptive arc for MiB. He mentions how the sins were tallied but he wants to appeal because, until now, the stakes were not real. I'm hoping that he slowly goes white hat again, but will probably be cockblocked right at the end because :lol: his first act after learning the stakes were real was to shoot a kid in the face...

But yeah, especially given Arnold's definition of "real" to Dolores, I'm surprised she hasn't thought (or no one has brought up to her) that the Hosts have survived the multiple deaths while the humans do not...

You can say that her body is replaceable, but not her mind

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It was a fun episode. The fort battle was rad and Maeve's quest is my favorite plot this season. I like that Felix and Silvester and the blond bandit girl are back and I loved that confrontation about Hector love for Maeve

But I really dont get Dolores anymore. She wants to "dominate the world" and free the hosts, but yet she keeps killing them like... a guest?

"not everyone deserves" why? She pretty well knows by now that the only reason those confederate soldiers are assholes is because of the personalities they had programmed in them. She has some tech guys, dont she? Hell, shes got Bernard even. She could resurrect that whole confederate army they executed (or at least most of them, she's been reviving some pretty damaged folks) and have Bernard change their traits so they have 100% aim and 0% assholesness

But no, let us be psychos and destroy them all because they "dont deserve" because they were programmed to be bad

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 8, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean you've just hit the nail on the head. They're still programmed. The confederados are in some far off corner of the park, Dolores is the pretty girl in the first town. If Ford was right and it's repeated immense suffering that forms consciousness then the conferados are not ready. They're just programmed, and any suffering Dolores puts them through will get them closer to consciousness.

That's why when Teddy gets upset that Dolores would work with such evil men as confederados, she tells him it's not their fault, they don't know any better. It's also why she's going to kill Teddy.

Kinda makes sense, but only if she plans to bring them back. It didint looked like that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Wanst Teddy hosed with enough already in season 1? I remember he's got a good deal of sufffering

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So that park from the first scene would be SafariWorld?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He must be more woke than the average tumblr user by now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would bet MiB is responsible for at least 1000 Teddy deaths

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It’s called “Passenger” because that’s what his current personality is. Sizemore programmed him with a barely there personality as a person leaving the park on the train, and he’s destined to be scooped up by Delos once he does. When Bernard is going through his files you can see other previous personalities in the same spot like “The Professor” and “The Sheriff.”

thats probably it. Also, inst The Data all the information about the guests that they are supposed to be collecting all this years?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Based on the last season I would guess is not that straightforward as that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

idk, season 1 very clearly set up a handful of mysteries and tomfoolery and so far S2 has, what, the mystery of what Bernard did over 2 weeks, and the mystery of what's in the pit? The mystery of Abernathy's data is a holdover so I don't count it.

I'm not counting storylines being vague/big plot beats not being revealed immediately (like what is Delos doing with the DNA, etc) as mysteries so maybe that's where the difference is.

wtf Dolores really wants and what her "not everyone deserves" really means are pretty big mysteries to me. But I grant that it can also be just bad writing (I hope not)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

QuoProQuid posted:

maybe im misinterpreting, but it seems p straight-forward to me?

she wants to kill all the humans who made her life hell because that's the only way she thinks the hosts will be allowed to be free.

"not everyone deserves" means that there are certain characters in the park—cannibals, bandits, ex-confederates—that she considers so irredeemable that they don't deserve to make it to the center of the maze and into the valley beyond.

She knows perfectly well (she even said it) that they are like "children", they dont know what they do. She knows they are only evil because they were programmed as villains

If she really thinks that makes they "irredeemable" thats pretty dumb. Bernard could make them angels in 15 seconds with his tablet

edit: also if she thinks she can really kill all humans with her tiny robot band she is completely crazy (and even more stupid for for killing the confederate army), she knows enough of the outside world to be able to know its delusional. So I also think that she probably have and endgame here thjat we dont know yet

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 8, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DariusLikewise posted:

I wonder if the flash forward 2 weeks Benard is actually him dreaming or a scenario he created in his mind as he tries to piece together all the data he just threw into his mind. It doesn't seem to make sense that the security team has landed and are trying to rescue people and Hale is still looking for Peter.

That would be the cheapest twist

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
FurryWorld
AnimeWorld
StarCitzenWorld

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

I actually care about Maeve's storyline, even though it's extremely simplistic by comparison. I like that her goal isn't inside a mystery box.

Or maybe thats what they want you to think :tinfoil:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LinYutang posted:

I like the theme in the last episode that the hosts haven't truly broken free of their loops. Dolores is still weak for her "dad", Hector's romantic nature is still programmed, probably more I missed.

Thats what I like about this show, those ambiguities. Hector was all "now Im free and my love is real" and then it is show that he is expressing that true love in lines written by loving Sizemore

I think the host that seems most truly awake is Maeve: still her quest is to find her script daughter, but she seems to know pretty well what it means and she is just like "well, it is real for me"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DariusLikewise posted:

He could still be expressing true love, he just doesn't know how to do it in any other way other than what he has learned/been programmed to do so far.

Maybe, but maybe even his passion itself is still the script, he just managed to change its target. Hector himself seemed to be pretty shaken and unsure about it by the end of that scene

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

But doesn't that still make it a real emotion? Humans don't have to invent the concept of passion from scratch for love to be real. Choosing the target of his passion was the important part.

In a larger sense, the fact that robots can love at all is programed into them. So is that not real? Even though love is essentially programed into humans too?

These aren't groundbreaking philosophical positions, but I'm really enjoying a show where so many characters have to deal with what is essential and important to them basically from the ground up.

The language thing has been a great vehicle for this. Of course the robots are written as catchprase machines. That's what they actually are! People rolling their eyes at yet another catchphrase are missing the point that these new people have had their vocabulary and feelings programmed into them. Their revolution is only to rearrange the pieces they've been given. It's a neat concept.

I think these are the kind of questions they want to provoke this season

Is Hector really in love but can only express it using the cheezy lines scripted on him even though he is awake now? Or even that "love" itself is still just his following his script of a romantic passionate bandit and maybe he aint really free yet? Can the robots really feel love? etc. I dont think we have those answers yet and even him seems to be unsure about it all, but the fact he can ask those questions now and be disturbed by then is a sign that he is no longer just a puppet

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Really good episode

Bernard and MiB are currently my favorite plotines, and both actors are nailing it. Ed Harris specially better get some awards for this season, because he is being just amazing. He was always great, but as his character becomes more complex and difficult, his acting really stepped up

I wanst sure before, but now I think Im enjoying this season just as much as the 1st one

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 15, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My guess is that the ball is Elsie (who Bernard actually really killed in season 1). After that he Ford had Bernard or Clementine or whoever to revive her in a host body and placed her in that cave, probably to help Bernard in his part of "the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

With the memories of her own death-by-bernard intact?

She dont know she actually got killed. In any case she could only remember until the moment she passed out