Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is Anthony Hopkins confirmed to be in the second season somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Saw 50 new posts and thought the new season had started and I know now it's just nerds arguing over how to argue about TV properly.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

William is the guy that played 300+ hours of GoW1 multiplayer so he could unlock all the achievements and get 1000/1000 gamerscore

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Is the unexpected sea with all the hosts dead in it going to end up being a biblical thing with Delores trying to split the sea and lead her people to the promised land?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Charlotte had Lee Sizemore put a bunch of data into the husk of Peter Abernathy and they were going to smuggle it all out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

She was trying to secure all the data and coding for the hosts in case Ford went nuclear because of forced retirement and wiped the whole park.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Ok then so that has nothing to do with the plot to replace humans in the outside world with hosts. Where is that indicated in the season premiere, I must have missed something there?

No that's just speculation based on the plots of Futureworld and Beyond Westworld

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No, everyone sees the very obvious implications for the military, and labor in general, but the two savants who built the park and created the IP didn't care about those applications. Arnold and Ford wanted to make a theme park, not a slave race. The only real difference is that Ford didn't come around about the "slave-race" until 30 years after Arnold.

I think it's implied that Ford has had the same feelings as Arnold about the park and what they had created. He just had a lot better strategy than "Have my robot kill me and then shoot each other like they do all the time"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

No Luck Needed posted:

What bugs me more are the bird, the horses, and the animals in general; including the tiger from the season 2 premier? Deloris is riding a robot horse on her way to a robot revolution; well I guess for some robots. Like making robot horses, ok that makes sense. Robot birds? Birds just show up, like bugs, and like the MRSA infection Maeve had. But maybe you need birds or tigers for some storyline purpose.

I would assume they make all the animals robots so they didn't have to worry about real animals being killed and having to be replaced and as well they could be in full control of what the animals and bugs do for story purposes. I mean that and they don't have to work as hard to maintain an actual sustainable ecosystem on robot island.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Okay, I'm going to reserve my wicked smart kid points and put my plot marker down.

Note: I'm putting my stupid theory in spoiler tags. It absolutely is not. I'm putting it in spoilers anyway because once upon a time some very smart goon hit a plot twist on a great show from way, way, downtown and when the twist happened my reaction to the great twist was "eh...I wish I hadn't read that." It is, in fact a stupid theory that's probably wrong. So anyway, my THEORY on THE DOOR is that we've already seen it. It's the door to the lab hidden underneath Old Ford's Country Cottage. When the Man in Black finds it he'll go downstairs to find that a young William body is cooking there. Now that the hosts (and more importantly Dolores) are "real," Ford is offering the Man in Black an opportunity to transfer his consciousness into a host body. The MiB has spent his whole life chasing that original infatuation of the him and Dolores against the world narrative and Ford is giving him the opportunity to play it out. Dolores, with all her memories restored, will have to square the idealistic William she loved with the monster that brutalized her in episode 1. Teddy, as always, will get dropped like a bad habit because he won't be able to break out of his hapless hero routines.

I think it works from a narrative perspective (because where else does the MiB have to go?) from a storytelling perspective (you can introduce some more timeline sleight-of-hand if young William is in the present or future) and also from a real world perspective in that doing so will allow them to cut back on Ed Harris who's got to be a big chunk of the show's budget.

I think this is probably the most correct thing mostly because I can see them shipping Jimmi Simpson and Evan Rachel Wood, especially since that was a huge plot point in the first season

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It would be interesting if some of the things that are happening are only in Bernard's head, but the whole show being a dream would be mind-crushingly dumb

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

rich thick and creamy posted:

With a name like Sizemore...

Good username/post combo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The writers confirmed that Elise shows up in the second season at some point, alive and well

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Maeve is a libertarian

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

No one wants to watch a show where robots philosophize about the pain they are programmed to feel for an hour

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think for the majority of moral people, raping or shooting something that looks and acts human in almost every way is completely hosed up and I'm glad they are getting their comeuppance.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I wonder if the flash forward 2 weeks Benard is actually him dreaming or a scenario he created in his mind as he tries to piece together all the data he just threw into his mind. It doesn't seem to make sense that the security team has landed and are trying to rescue people and Hale is still looking for Peter.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats what I like about this show, those ambiguities. Hector was all "now Im free and my love is real" and then it is show that he is expressing that true love in lines written by loving Sizemore

I think the host that seems most truly awake is Maeve: still her quest is to find her script daughter, but she seems to know pretty well what it means and she is just like "well, it is real for me"

He could still be expressing true love, he just doesn't know how to do it in any other way other than what he has learned/been programmed to do so far.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think everyone is over thinking what is contained in Peter Abernathy. The entire park was a closed system and they caught the board trying to sneak out informative via satellite uplink bots(The Woodcutter) and satellite uplinks in abandoned areas(The Theatre). Abernathy is just carrying all the data about all the devices in the park and the source codes for how to design hosts along with the immortality poo poo. He's a walking USB drive.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Sorry this episode owned bones, sometimes it fun not have everyone solve a thousand mysteries and just gently caress poo poo up for an hour and see some cool things.

So it looks like The Cradle is some sort of VR terminal that either allows you to control hosts directly and look through their eyes or just become a spectator and noclip around the park. Is it possible that Arnold’s consciousness lives on in the system somewhere and he’s the one pulling the strings. He’s reprogrammed Maeve and Delores specifically in an attempt to wake them up and to have as many horses in the race as possible. Ford has just been a caretaker in the past 30 years and Arnold is the true genius.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Last season was incredibly slow and was mostly just world building for 6 episodes until they started doing reveals and throwing twists at people. This season is way faster paced so far, I don't get the "It's incredibly slow" complaints :shrug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I watched this episode last night and was excited to read 450 posts of thoughtful Westworld discussion and instead I get to read an argument about the movements of trains :wtc:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Someone reverse the scene so a scared tech is handing a gun and a single bullet back to Teddy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Holy god shut the gently caress up about the train

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

I think they used Jimmy D just because he was an intimately known quantity. William was the one to administer the fidelity test because he knew him best. Same way Dolores knew Arnold best because he was like her dad.

This is actually an interesting point, has Bernard been a complete brain copy of Arnold this whole time??

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Hold up. You guys think Hale is a host? I've seen theories that she is Arnold's son/daughter Charlie.

That wouldn't make any sense

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The train is a metaphor for Ford's carefully planned narrative going off the rails

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Goons: This show is dumbing everything down and trying to appeal to people with low intelligence
Also Goons: How do guns, swords and trains work?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The trailer for next week's episode has me AMPED

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

William is actually the first host Ford ever created and every time he returns to the park Ford replaces him with a slightly aged body.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

spiderbyte posted:

Maybe Ford just extended it to a year or so, which is why William goes back to Westworld every year.

I was just shitposting but it would be funny if Ford created a host to infiltrate the Delos family, marry-in and convince the father to give Westworld all his money so Ford could keep the whole thing going. The best timeline IMO.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Simpsons did it

This thread:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Sadly it's one of those shortcuts that's so well known that I think even the common viewer notices and finds it annoying.

That said in a couple of those shots you could argue it's a host POV; like him dragging her to the barn could have been from Teddy's camera.

ED: Actually this just hit me with a huge, huge plot hole. Or on purpose:

The scene of him dragging her to the barn and such happened before the first episode. Oh poo poo. Is William on a loop after all?

I would imagine that William has made more than one trip to the rape barn in 30 years of visiting Westworld

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

That's how mobile game development goes. As soon as someone comes up with a mildly successful game concept there's a 1000 copies of it within 2 weeks on the app store trying to sponge up a little bit of that microtransaction cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

They were setting up the park to resume normal operations by the end I figured