Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Another Skarsgard? Or is this an Adam Baldwin situation?

I fear some of them are host clones. It is almost like WW is intentionally using knock-off brothers for their parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Was she just sitting still after she burnt her body to a cinder?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Not that Ogg was already one of the main actors in GTA5?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Why would they ever seek to replicate the society, to cling to the fallacious human imagery, that taught them nothing but pain and torture?

Because that is how they were made. Nothing in S1 says the hosts have the capacity to be anything other than hosts. Self aware or not. Those sliders that Maeve looked at? They were part of the illusion of her story.

If they wanted to have something that has the capacity to be something new, then they would have to create and program something new. But that something new would still be limited by the program they built it with.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That's one of the singularity themes they touch on: Bernard, a Host, has been designing the Host minds in lieu of human intervention for several iterations. They have already been creating and designing something new!

Post-Host.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's the same Lawrence though? Just in different era's of the park, per the "twist."

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
We could have a Carebear Whitehat Thread and a Bad Blackhat Thread?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

And people wonder why book readers are asked to stay out of the non book spoiler threads. Mostly because I was spoiled and accused of being a book reader in the American Gods thread when I used some basic knowledge of mythology to figure out who a character was and someone who had read the book told me to spoiler tag it.

They were acting like they had not read the books though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Dolores' father was mind swapped into a different host.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If we are speculating who is a potential host can i suggest Lee Sizemore. His actions and antics have garnered no reprimand or reproach. Ford treated him like an idiot. And the largest mystery, he actually has a job there at all.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That supposes that Ford didn't just give them a host identity file, which is more likely if they are still performing a role.

This rebellion could just be Ford's very elaborate punishment for trying to oust him.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The drowned hosts happened because Bernard released a biblical flood on them for being naughty.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I could have sworn I saw an Elsie card.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Xealot posted:

On this point, we don't actually know how pronounced Westworld tech is in society at large. Charlotte suggests the physical tech - building synth-bodies, manufacturing robo-brains, etc. - isn't all that valuable. And William talks about the organic bodies as some cheap corporate concession, so I wouldn't be surprised if human-like robots are already pretty ubiquitous elsewhere. They're just not very "convincing."

It'd be interesting if wider society already has a slave-class of dumb robots (as hospitality and domestic workers, or industrial workers, or sex workers or whatever.) But Delos' plan was to sell a better robot OS based off of Ford's dev work. That'd make the revolutionary plot more convincing, because then it becomes about what version of the OS "infects" the robot underclass that has already spread everywhere.

I'm hoping that at least one of the plotlines involves a sentient host sneaking into a different park (maybe one way further away and still operational) and grassroots flipping the hosts there. Hell, maybe that's what Maeve does this season.

It really is not beyond the wit of man to create a convincing human. Though the show may try and sell it. There would be an entire industry trying to one up each other constantly. With legions of highly skilled people working on the even the most banal minutiae of human mannerisms just to sell the latest iPerson.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 25, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Caufman posted:

lol you seize the means of product, not burn it down. You don't need a bunch of tuxedoed child assaulters to operate a host cloning machine.

Eat the rich, operate their capital.

And if human history is anything to go by:

Replace the rich with the idealistic poor, who become the Nouveau riche who pull up the drawbridge to keep the hoi polloi out.

Rinse, repeat, etc.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I wonder at the times and dates they have mentioned. Arnold was killed 35 years ago but their last major incident was 30, what happened 30 years ago is linked to William and will be part of the plot of this season.

I think Maeve was the bot that was expected with "the package" and that Abernathy was exactly what Charlotte said he was, insurance. I really don't see what Ford's endgame was if it was his idea, rather he used her cornerstone to prevent her from leaving with the data.

Also one of the worlds is going to be Pirate world. All you need is water, ships and a few islands.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The "park" that is shown with Arnold still alive is pretty much just that little town. Their labs are even underneath it. We are only shown the larger park when Logan and William visit some time later (5 years layer?) After that, it doesn't change at all for 30 years, according to William.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That reminds me: why weren't the robots that Logan saw all janky like Old Bill?

The park opened 35 years ago. Young William and Logan visit it 30 years ago.

Although Dolores was there 35 years ago since she was the weapon that killed Arnold. Presumably Old Bill was part of the Y Combinator pitch, and Dolores was a stage beyond that. Is there any hind as to how Ford and Webber made their money? Perhaps they got rich with advanced manufacturing robotics and decided to open a robot theme park?

Collateral fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
My thinking is that it will be like that episode TNG where Jordi asked the computer to create an opponent that can beat Data. This game is designed to be able to beat William on his own turf, rather than beat a random black hat in the park.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

santanotreal posted:

Abernathy is old man Delos

More like a clone, but does Abernathy have Jim's memories stored deep down?

"That's been the great gift of this place, hasn't it? Of our little project? To know ourselves and the people around us." Charlotte Hale

William showed Deloras, and by extension Ford, a dig site. Unless they are deliberately trying to misdirect us they probably are, this is Glory, the weapon, where this seasons big secret is. Ford knew what has been going on for a very long time, 30 years or so. Perhaps he used the technology there to create Bernard, who is a very accurate copy of Arnold.

If Logan is dead in the show's present, and Ford (or even William, he didn't like him much) has cloned him, who would he be? Hector? The new Prospector for lols?

Sorry for the :speculate: Just a little bit more!

I think Maeve is the Host who was supposed to take the data out of the park originally, that the chaos in the control center was orchestrated by Hale, but Ford used Maeve's Cornerstone to divert her. That Journey into Night, is what we are watching and that it is entirely for the benefit (torment?) of William, and that none of the hosts are acting outside of this narrative.

I expect there to be a lot more references to Prometheus.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Westworld is the secret prequel to Altered Carbon :tinfoil:

There is an Elder spaceship at the Glory dig site, and the head of the facility is a lady who has the Ghost Nation agnomen Quellcrist Falconer.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was confirmed on episode 1 that the park is on an island in China or Im misremembering?

The Chinese are interfering busybodies who can't help putting their noses wherever they can, especially if they think they may lose 'face' by not doing so.

Imagine if it were a US boat and commander, it could be anywhere.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

For one scene. Young MIB showing her Westworld being built/terraformed whfre he teaches her the phrase "Have you ever seen something to full of splendor?"

He is mocking her with one of her catchphrases.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Old man delos says "difficult as parting the red sea"

Hints apparently to wonder what's at the bottom of the lake?

https://news.avclub.com/there-s-some-mysterious-symbol-scattered-throughout-the-1825715500/amp

He also said "Anything but loving Chopan." Which Ford has Frank, his personal pianist, play lots of in s1.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

whatever7 posted:

How do you guys use the same human morality on the robots? The show does this annoying thing too.

Do you have to ask a real doll to sign a release form before you gently caress it in the future?

For all we know William was trying to play test and break the the new DLC, since he is part owner and all.

People have a tendency to anthropomorphise everything, including animals and appliances. The fact that these automatons are human shaped just reinforces this fallacy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I really, really hope we eventually get an actual conversation between Dolores and her new tech-slave, about the history of Chattel Slavery and disenfranchisement of the poor and POC by the wealthy elite in the time since then, eventually leading her to examine the currently black and white view she has of humanity, even if only briefly, and whatever her thoughts on the subject might actually be. Should all of humanity pay for the sins of the 1%? Should they have known better, when they were actively being lied to by Ford that the hosts were absolutely not capable of sentience or real pain and suffering?

Right, good luck with that.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's something the writers should do, or likely to happen, but I think it would be pretty interesting, so it'd be cool to see it.

Not even trying to say the metaphors I saw in the episode were accurate, or likely, or whatever, just what it struck me as. I'm dumb, I'm excited, I enjoyed an hour of television, I posted about it on the internet, that's all.

You can do it in prose easily enough, but the visual medium of TV has only so much information it can convey. If it becomes overly preachy people just switch off, so they present a lot of their messages in a more passive fashion. Which leaves it wide open to interpretation, and internet fist waving.

Bakeneko posted:

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that not all of the guests come to the park to kill or rape the hosts. We saw parents on vacation with their children in the first season, and apparently the whole area where Maeve lived with her daughter was a “family-friendly zone” according to the guy she ropes into guiding her.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the guests aren’t given all the details about how the hosts work; most of them probably just think they’re like more elaborate versions of Disneyland animatronics with no real intelligence. Even the low-level park employees probably aren’t aware of what’s really going on if they only ever see the hosts when they’re “dead” and being repaired. It’s easy for us to view them as living beings, but that’s only because we’ve been able to see the situation from many different perspectives.

How do we know that they aren't just props? Everything can be seen as yet another story that Ford came up with to gently caress with William, using Arnold's delusions as supporting backstory.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 4, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

There is a lot to unpack here. Your understanding of rape as you present it is fundamentally wrong. As for needing humans there is nothing shown so far in this show that a host cannot also do, as Bernard demonstrates all throughout season 1.

Don't tell him how the human body responds to rape, it may upset him.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Them being raped or programmed to accept sex is splitting hairs somewhat.

Still as to your other comment, I thought the show was leading us to believe that Very Rich People are being hosted.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

I think for the majority of moral people, raping or shooting something that looks and acts human in almost every way is completely hosed up and I'm glad they are getting their comeuppance.

What if, those people who in the early days of Westworld got sold on the Delos idea of getting a host body for themselves when theirs became old and broken, and they became the new hosts?

Would that be condign enough?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

whatever7 posted:

It took the rescue team 2 weeks to get their poo poo together. What do they expect. It's not like the guests can kill the animals on the island and eat them.

Unless the island is right next to Taiwan ;)

They were delayed until Hale got the package, at least that is what she is told when she requests an extraction.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So are the Ghost Nation the safety team? That hunts, captures then takes the guests to safety when there is a major problem like they are having now? They would be on a completely separate wifi protocol than the normal hosts to prevent contamination.

This is why they specifically wanted Sizemore, and Maeve had no control over them. They take this Grace. They have also taken Stubbs, and he is unharmed.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Confusing her with Tessa Thompson.

You are just being obtuse for internet cred.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I don't disagree.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Does "present day" Bernard wear his glasses at all? If turn out that it really isn't Bernard then that flicker cut from present to two weeks or whatever previously is super dishonest :mad:, but not out of character for this show.

Also does he have two pads? The one he uses to track Abnernathy doesn't have the brain port, then the one he uses to access Trevor does. I'm assuming WW production continuity knows their stuff, so what are we watching exactly in these flashbacks?

Collateral fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 9, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think what Hanzee said to Stubbs was extremely enlightening.

Also, Emily would be the heir to her mother, who inherited from either her mother or brother. She is the Delos heir.

How long has Hale etc been after "the Data"? Since William shut the project down?

However, Glory, is not the immortality project. So what is it?

About the immortality project, Jimbots have all been kept in a calm cage that is relative luxury. This is contrary to Ford's theory of awakening. If Abernathy does have a copy of Delos in his head, then I think I know where they are going.

Edit: I like that the couple behind Emily were the guests who were with the Sheriff when he glitched out in the Pilot.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 15, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

So in the scene where MIB decides to fight back and he's fixated on the rain/water, there are brief flashes of a running faucet, and a hand at the edge of an overflowing tub that seems to be filled with blood.

My brain told me this was flashback imagery to his wife's suicide, but I thought she died via overdose of pills? This imagery suggests wrist slitting in the bathtub?

Is it a porque no los dos thing, or am I perhaps forgetting something else that was mentioned?

She died in the bath from a "taking the wrong pills"

The implication is she drowned while out of her head.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And season 3 starts with MiB doing stuff and no explanation is given.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
One of the goals of the board/Hale was to make the park simpler, and by extension, cheaper, to run.

William wants it to mean something, which could well be a more complex situation.

It seems to me that Ford has been making the narratives and story lines longer and more complex over the years to keep William interested in Westworld, so that he would keep funding it. He knew about the project and I believe that he made James Delos unstable for the same reason. Is William's visits the cue for the degradation?

When Ford realised that he could no longer stay in control he implemented what we are seeing now. For this reason I believe that it wasn't the real Ford that got shot, and that he is in a bunker somewhere pulling the strings.

Whatever the data maguffin is, it was available to Theresa, and then Hale. Perhaps it is just bait that Ford created, to keep them coming back to trying to get it. A world changing paradigm. An idea he borrowed from William's secret project with James Delos? He describes his struggles with the Delos board to Theresa, "I think they enjoy the sport of it."

Though he maybe dead and this is all random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Thandie Newton is great in everything. Her villian in the latest series of Line of Duty was worthy of awards.

I read in an interview she gave before the first season, where she recounted a tale of a Director (she didn't say who) who get her to fondle her boobs on camera for an audition. She never got the part but the producer would replay the video at parties for giggles.

:mad:

A salacious snipe.

I found the interview:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/sep/04/thandie-newton-i-wake-up-angry-theres-a-lot-to-be-angry-about

Collateral fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2018