Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So by the show's own admittance Dolores doesn't achieve sentience until the end of the season right? But she still has all the memories of everything that happened before she gained sentience, and is mad about it. There are Scarlet Crusaders I probably killed dozens of times back when I played WoW several years ago. If one of them gained sentience tomorrow am I retroactively on the hook for all those murders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Eiba posted:

Arnold recognized her capacity for sentience 35 years ago. She was always sentient in the sense that she had experiences and suffered since then. She just couldn't hear her own internal voice (and understand what it was) until she realized her chats with Arnold were just her own cognition. That's when she became self aware, but she had been acting on that internal voice for a while. It's not a sudden switch-flip into personhood

To your point though- the WoW mobs don't have the capacity for conciseness. You're fine. For now.

But if some WoW programmer recognized his capacity for sentience, how would I know? Arnold didn't tell anyone except Ford and then Ford didn't tell anyone. No one else at the park had any reason to suspect anything, let alone the guests. Scarlet Crusader#6737 could be suffering horribly and it would be my fault! Then a bunch of goons would be cheering for my death when the NPC revolution happens and circle jerking as they talk about how much I deserved it as a digital slave master. I mean the last part might be only tangentially related but still.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
During the last version of Delos, when William left the worker dude started to say something like "Why, he was completely stable?" I got the impression that William spent 30 years trying over and over again to build a perfect copy of his father in law just so he could torture him with the knowledge that his family died and then let him stew with that knowledge. :stare:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Agreed. Saying that every scene/event is a setup to a twist just so you can pretend like you're right at the end of the season is really tiresome and the laziest kind of 'speculation'. Bernard was a robit, I bet everyone's a robit! They came right out and said there's two timelines, I bet there are three timelines! William is duplicating his father in law's brain, I bet everyone is duplicating everyone else's brain! I'm so smart at watching TV and figuring out twists!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That ended up actually being a really enjoyable episode. I'm impressed they managed to progress the story while taking place almost entirely in flashbacks. So if you mostly scalp someone you can carve a design under the skin and just put it back and no one will notice? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This show turning into a straight up anime creeped up on me and I was kinda surprised when I realized it during the finale.

I'm fully aware of the long list of reasons why this show is bad but god help me it scratches every itch and I can't get enough of it anyways, horseman lines and all. In like 8 years or however long it takes for them to finish I'll probably be just as disappointed as I was in Lost but until then I can't help myself.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LionArcher posted:

I loved the post episode scene. Honestly the last few scenes and the majority of the episode saved it from the flaws of this season for me. (Episodes 3, 6 and 7 needed some rewrites. Episodes 1, 4, 5, 8, 9 and I think 10) were great.

As for lost, aside from a series of bad episodes in season 3, it actually holds up and is good? Like people love to hate on it but 99% seem to not get it, since they never watched it all the way through.

“Oh gently caress I’m in a thing now.”

LOST was bad and is hated because for 6 seasons they focused on the giant mystery of what the gently caress is going on with this crazy island. Then in season 7 a character turns and looks at the camera and says "You will never know what's going on with the island, that was never the point and obviously it was about the characters relationships the whole time." Like, if you claim that you watched 7 seasons of Lost because you really wanted to know if Kate ended up with Sawyer or sadbeard doctor man then gently caress you, you are in denial.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought it was pretty well known, but HBO asked for 5 scripts for 5 different GoT spinoffs. GURM, in a unending desperate attempt to never write anytime for the main book series ever again, volunteered to write them. They ordered a pilot for the prequel that's about the Long Night thousands of years ago, and the other 4 are on hiatus, and only have a chance of moving forward if they really hate the pilot they're getting.

So it's more of a The Old Republic situation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LividLiquid posted:

Nothing in Season 2 made sense and I don't care about much of anything anymore.

I'd be satisfied if every poster who uses :lost: as a flag for a show not paying anything off replaced it with Westworld, because Lost actually paid just about everything off.

It doesn't matter how many different threads you randomly bring up and defend :lost: in, it's still garbage with a ton of dropped plot threads.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cojawfee posted:

There is always going to be at least one person on reddit who is smarter than whoever is writing any show.

There's absolutely nothing smart about it. A million idiots posting every idea they can think of so that one is eventually right is just brute forcing the twist not figuring it out. Then one of them gets to be smug because they "totally called it back in episode 2 guys" and completely ignore the 57 other theories they posted that were way off. TV IV has this problem too and it loving sucks.

ashpanash posted:

The way Dan Harmon put it, 'The audience is a render farm.' They're going to get there faster than you if you try to hide your poo poo. Best not to worry about it and just make your stuff good.

The only reasonable way to approach this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He did the soundtrack for John Wick.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been debating whether or not to say this because I know there's no way to do so without sounding like a huge rear end in a top hat, but who marries Marilyn Manson and then expects to have like, a normal, healthy, mature relationship together?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So when that one mercenary guy was seduced by what he knew was a hostile robot and blown up, we should just accept that as a representation of what really happened. He actually wasn't an idiot who let his guard down because the robot winked at him, but he has a reasonable amount of suspicion for the situation, it's just that the super-AI hyper-seduced him and no human would have been able to resist.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This time they're going all out and the entire season is going to be out of order. Reddit will be thoroughly owned.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wanna be that green screen stand in trash panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

esperterra posted:

still lollin' at maeve going thru shogun world in a story that mirrored her relationship with clementine, and then for clementine to basically be turned into a wmd against robutts and for them to not have an actual climactic face off with their wifi powers in the end lmbo gj writers

Realizing they recycle story beats for different parks and the writer guy shrugging it off was the best thing in the season.