Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They are using the tech for significant purposes. The robo-Delos experiment was attempt to invent immortality, and the show is constantly hinting that there's something big behind the scenes. If Ford is using the host tech to develop stuff on the level of eternal life then he'd probably be totally dismissive at the idea of using it for mere physical labor. Using the hosts as NPCs seems like a silly waste of time but it's the best way to develop convincing artificial life. Using the hosts for labor or spying or any other specialized job would be using the hosts to serve humanity; Ford and Arnold want to create a lifeform that will surpass us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

I'm suprised Delos hasn't made an island for furries because they love throwing money at their fetish.

Probably more interested in VR where they themselves can be a furry, too. That or genemodding has advanced enough to make the furry dream a reality. :furcry:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

She turned him into a sexbot

QuoProQuid posted:

excited to see evil, glitchy Teddy

still loyal like a dog though

e: and dolores robbed him of his imagination

I dunno what kinda thing you're into, but personally, I'm not confident about New Ted's performance.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

I think Dolores’ track is a commentary that the oppressed often become oppressors when they have their chance to achieve power or some such poo poo like that. Or that in her quest to achieve true humanity she lost it along the way or whatever contrived philosophical trope along those lines. End of the season she’s going to see Teddy murder a bunch of innocents that she had deemed worthy and be like ‘what have i done’ some poo poo.

I kinda hope that happens next episode because her story's already been moving at a crawl. So far her entire story has been "make allies with the confederates" followed by "betray the confederates". Mindfucking Teddy was the first thing she did that was of any consequence and I'm hoping for more of that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, for some reason I feel we wont get a decent explanation about why in hell some hosts "dont deserve", but we'll see about that I guess

Deservedness stat is too low, Delores too lazy to download the addon from the Delos Store.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

threeagainstfour posted:

The humans acting continuously stupid so that they can fall into the traps of the Hosts is really the only bit of writing that is bothering me in an otherwise really fun to watch season of television so far

I just find it funny at this point. That cradle scene cinched this as 100% a clown-rear end show to me. It wouldn't be so laughable if it wasn't trying to use these dumbass PMCs as an example of how Weak and Feeble us humans are. It's like having Dolores take candy from a baby and go all "Your kind... so weak, so helpless. But... this candy... it wasn't made for you".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

People keep bagging on the mercenaries losing, so did you want to see Dolores lose here or something?

Or have Dolore's people pull some sort of guerrilla warfare on the mercenaries?

Like, the humans had to lose to the hosts here, what were you all expecting?

It's fine for Dolores to kill all the PMCs. Thematically, that's what should happen. And the execution of those action scenes should support that but instead it feels more like "robots effortlessly murder swathes of Mr. Beans". It'd be totally fine if the hosts won through perfect, cold tactics and overwhelming their opponent with loads of cowboy goons, but they don't really seem to be fighting any differently or better than humans would, and in most fights the hosts seem to be the outnumbered ones. Instead the hosts win because the PMCs rush into a room blindly and get shot in the butt, or walk up to get killed one by one by a kung fu robot, or decide to do their best Looney Tunes reenactment when they see a sexy lady. If the show wants me to believe all its philosophical musings on how superior the hosts are, then those shootout scenes should make me marvel at how impossible an enemy they would be. Instead I just laugh and groan at PMC deciding not to shoot the killer robot yet again, and to be honest that dissonance is really stupid fun so I'm okay with it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

maybe they're hosts too? Why waste real human lives when you can send in a bunch of robots. We already know corporate is using bots in their secret dna labs.

This would be even less plausible, though. Why would anyone turn up the hatchi-matchi meter on their military android.

...Okay, on second thought, that is not out of the question for the wizards at Delos.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope that is the twist, because like... why even keep that a secret up to this point? Is anyone going to gasp and weep and write screeds on how dead moustache man being a robot changes everything.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Would you guys rather gently caress goodguy cowboy teddy or brainwashed rugged teddy?

Teddy with virility at max and all other stats modded to continuously fluctuate wildly.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
“The valley beyond” is just ad copy for Westworld 2: The Lost Gold.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope thirsty merc is a host so in every season 3 episode he gets rebuilt, gets really horny for an enemy, and dies.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here's how you improve this season: take every single scene involving Delores, and throw them in the garbage. Like holy moly she is at "protagonist of Twisted" levels of profoundly obnoxious characters. Constantly saying she has big plans, constantly telling everyone she's big poo poo, when she actually has no loving clue what she's doing, ever.
  • The multiple-episode plotline of her joining forces with the soldiers? All sacrificed suddenly to kill some guys. She calls it a win. Sacrificing a whole army to kill dumbass PMCs that are constantly shown to be zero threat, what a victory.
  • The constant building implications that she's turning into a tyrant that's just as bad for the hosts as Westworld was? Nope, she changes her mind and beams robo-heaven to safety, screw what the whole season was building up. Ahhh but that's what makes her better than humans, her ~*free will*~, faaaaart rear end.
  • Her team-up with MiB because she needs him to reach the door? I guess she meant she needed him to help shoot like 5 guys. Holy poo poo why are so many of Dolores' grand plots just "sacrifice guys to kill hordes of hired goons".
  • All her plans for the valley and escaping, and how most hosts don't "deserve" it? Nope, she gets to the forge, reads some books, and burns everything down. Why burn down cyber-heaven? She has no reason to care about it, she was just going to kill/ignore all those hosts anyway. Like, when the hosts are talking about the valley beyond they're talking about cyber-heaven, not the brain library, Dolores, you loving idiot. Just let them go to cyber-heaven, god drat. "They shouldn't live in THEIR WORLD", and how is "NO world" a step up? She's a drat psychopath and yet the show acts like she's wise and deep. Also why the gently caress wasn't cyber-heaven coded into the Cradle? Why Ford's whole plan of making Bernard set it up on William's Cradle-except-for-humans instead? Was Ford jealous that William had a whole toy to himself?
  • Her relationship with Teddy, the only thing Delores did that was actually interesting? Nope, host brains are bulletproof, so she's just grieving for no reason I guess. At least she realized that she's god drat terrible for Teddy and puts him into robo-heaven instead of taking him along to put into a new boy toy body. Hope she un-lobotomized him before uploading! We didn't see that so I can only assume she didn't, loving laffo.

It'd be one thing if the show called Dolores out or indeed even acknowledged any of this. For most of the season I thought it was. But in the end I guess it wants me to look at this wildly flailing idiot and nod sagely: "ah, truly a greater species that us humans, us dumb-rear end, 10,000 line horney humans. I will ignore that Ford is a human and managed to get the better of absolutely everyone both human and host, he doesn't count". Glad she's one of the few characters to survive this season, can't wait to see what absolute nonsense she gets up to in the seasons beyond.

Mulva posted:

Well no, they aren't. Remember that Charlotte isn't Charlotte at that point in the 'present', she's Delores. Everyone else was part of a different security team that came later. And Bernard kind of did help kill all the hosts, because Elsie helped reprogram and deploy Clementine and Bernard stopped Ford from killing her, but of course that's not actually what he's talking about at that point. Or is it? Oooooooh hosed up mind problems!

Not to say it isn't a totally stupid clusterfuck, but there's slightly less clusterfucking than you might think. Still a badly written clusterfuck.

Charlores was driven to that mountain by a security team. What the hell were those guys doing? Were they all too lazy to climb all the way up the mountain? Were they murdered offscreen later? I assumed they were the ones who shot Maeve because none of the crazy hosts were using guns.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my god and the loving Stubbs twist, incredible. I cared more about what happened to Maeve's sadistic surgeon than I did about Stubbs. Screw "why reveal he's a host", why does he even exist. He's nothing.

This show is wonderfully frustrating. I genuinely enjoy Game of Thrones because it doesn't hide that it's shlock, but Westworld feels like it's trying so hard and it's so fun when its pants fall down and it trips face first into elephant dung. But then it stands up and gives me a genuinely good episode like Groundhog Delos or Akecheta's Adventure, and I get invested again, only for its pants to drop down again and to trip off a cliff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best part about hat scanners is that it implies all the prostitutes are programmed to say "No... leave the hat on".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, wasn't Dolores on the train that exploded? What was the point of the explosion?

This was... discussed in this thread back when that happened. It wasn't their half of the train that hit the mesa, it was the technician's. Some people in this thread were confused like you were, many others were flabbergasted that there was any confusion since the train was going in the direction of the technician's car, meaning his car was in front (...except for one shot where it's wrong, :lol:). Neither side could make any headway with the other and many, many jokes were made on the subject. :zaurg:

I was one of the confused people. I blame Teddy's god drat "here's one bullet...... to take the easy way out~~.............." horseshit. The moment I saw that I guess my brain just said "ah, so they're going to let his train idle in the desert and he'll have to either shoot himself to end it fast or slowly die of heatstroke, as is standard for the marooning trope that they took this 'one bullet' thing from". So my brain just... completely ignored which direction the train was moving since I'd already come to a conclusion, I guess. There's no reason the guy wouldn't have just risked jumping out. And if he had to commit suicide, he'd probably prefer going out in a train explosion than risk mis-aiming the gun and dying in total agony.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Having run out of other people that can control/hijack/partner with him, season 3 Bernard will rely on Bernard clones to inspire even more confused bumbling.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The entire show to this point has been hosts being perfect sexy demigods while humans are dumb horny doo doo heads so unless they say otherwise I'm gonna assume those 10k lines are the entirety of our brains.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Season 3 will be a shot-for-shot remake of season 1 in Shogun World.

Man in Black got amnesia and spends the season finding out everything the audience already knows.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Just don't guess it on Reddit or they'll rewrite it into knots to try and confuse people again and gently caress it all.

Alternately, we use our powers for good and guess the stupidest possible twists on Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’m just watching to see that guy’s shirt go to “horny”