Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Professor Shark posted:

I'm pretty excited by the new additions. Hiroyuki Sanada is great in everything, I wonder if Samurai World is going to bleed into Westworld like in the movie

The guy from Revolution being in the military makes me wonder if governments are going to try and storm the park.

Edit: drat, Skarsgard is the son of a famous actor and two of his brothers are also famous actors.

He's a decently popular actor himself, considering he's spent the last five years featuring on a popular tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd probably stop watching Westworld if this happened because if they did something like that I'd know they're creatively bankrupt.

Nolan was asked about it and he said that while it's a cool idea it doesn't fit what they're doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Dave posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if West world was the only complete world and the other worlds were something Ford protested.

Yeah, if Ford was entirely focused on WW and also the only one who could get the AI to work I could see the plot beat about other parks being less complete versions. I mean a huge part of Tessa Thompson's story arc was how hard it is to get a robot out of WW to reverse engineer it. Of course, if they really did season 2 rewrites after everyone guessed Thandie Newton's story twist who knows what still matters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They very well could have been joking but Nolan has said he didn't think Maeve getting off the train being her first original decision to be so obvious to watchers and that he's going have to change some things if he wants to keep people guessing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elephanthead posted:

Vistors to SW are not shameful enough to play on easy mode.

Of course not, most of the visitors we saw in season 1 were rich white dudes. They were already playing on easy mode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barreft posted:

We can make up 50 theories if we want to. I wasn't here for the LOST thread, were there babies whining about too many theories there too?

Not really, up until the last season Lost had threads for individual episodes and importing drama from other threads has always been frowned upon. The old threads were also closed Wednesday morning, so that there was a few hours before the next thread was opened as a sort of cooling off period.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

Nah, that's wrong. Arnold was working with a small group of programmers and Ford before the park opened and discovered that the androids were gaining sentience and tried to close it by suiciding with Dolores. Since Arnold was super reclusive and nobody knew who he was, Robert was able to bury it. The park was losing money, but Will got so obsessed with Dolores and the park that he backed it and saved it.

Yeah, there’s specifically a season 1 scene where the brother is talking to Will about Arnold and his death as a reason the park has been struggling since it has messed with its insurance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neurosis posted:

maeve i can see as maybe just using what limited tools she has to achieve her ends but come on dolores is reveling in murdering people and describing them as subhuman (so to speak) creatures it's more than just a little bit of revolutionary spirit

First step of any revolution is the emolument of the rich.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This reminded me of the 'fact' that no one's ever died at Disney before.

Didn’t that specious reasoning get blown up two years ago when the alligator killed an infant?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, now I really want there to be a WesterosWorld. Delores can invade and her and the Night King can just fight it out by killing dudes and bringing them back subservient.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Big Taint posted:

The red ball seems to be intended to represent a human xerox, it’s weird to worry about contamination in the field and poo poo but then Bernard just pockets it with no case.

The tech could simply have been worrying about his own health, giving that we know diseases can incubate in host meat and he was about to perform surgery on one without any medical precautions.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tooterfish posted:

Maybe the general public don't know what goes on there. The park is ultra exclusive.

Is it though? I mean we just know that it's $40k a night, but it's also like 100 years in the future. Based on the last 100 years of inflation that's only like $2k of current money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I hope that MiB and his daughter are both humans and their conversation and his forgetting a detail about her childhood that obviously meant something to her is just an indicator that he's neglected his family for a long time rather than some host memory test

Yeah, though I figured her saying “Come back with me and we’ll try a fresh start” is what convinced him she wasn’t real. He, being the lovely guy he is, couldn’t believe in a willingness to forgive. Especially in his own daughter who reminds him so much of himself. The tragedy being she really is human and just wants to have a relationship with her dad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Collateral posted:

So William sold Delos on the Park because they could use it figure out what they really wanted. How exactly? They are in a Wild West Theme Park. The answer is in the combination of predictive algorithms, and using a analogue of those guests and simulating them in a virtual environment.

They build up as good a copy of them as they can, make predicitions, and get the fidelity test right. Then iterate circumstances in which the simulations are offered, well I don't know what Delos offers other than BioTech and the Park, whatever. They hone their personalised marketing based on the results of those iterations.

Does that make sense? Glory is like the matrix, but it was build to try and find the best way to sell things to people, by simulating their guests, and testing their sales techniques in numerous, perhaps millions, of run throughs.

Marketing whatever Delos has its fingers in. Corporations spend billions of dollars a year on marketing research and that only gets you an idea of the consumer that the consumer is willing to admit to. You take away the fear of being judged and you get a view of what that person is truly like, something William has real experience with. So Delos takes all that and now knows exactly how to market to these people in ways that will really speak to them. It’s a holy grail of one to one marketing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ford’s monologue about the Library of Alexander was loving great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Car Hater posted:

But how was she going to destroy the cradle without that guy's explosives?

It's a computer, she's a computer. Obviously she was going to seduce it into exploding.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The biggest question I have is how early on was Ford in the Cradle, and what kind of autonomy did he have while the real Ford was still alive?

Is it what pushed Ford to understand that AI consciousness was real?

It must have happened right before S1 started or during it. When Bernard created the personality he killed the techs in the Delos lab, who were all fine when William visited for the last time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
With all the talk of humans ‘wanting to become hosts’ I figure it’s less shady takeover and more Delos trying to sell immortality to people. So that Delos can then stage a shady takeover.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it’s anything like my company, pretty easily. HR makes sure to have plenty of pictures of the dude around the back of house doing regular guy stuff since he’s just like one of us!

We even were on Undercover Boss too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Remember when Stubbs and a group of guards went to check out host storage because they got an alert that someone was down there in episode 1? The writers didn't!

There’s 20 years between the two scenes, plenty of time for security protocols to change.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So it would be pretty funny if it turns out Ford completely perfected the cloning and immortality via hosts technique 30 years ago and Delos are just a bunch of dummies.

I think that’s entirely possible, there is the bit in the Delos scenes where the tech implies that William is the trigger for the neural collapse instead of time. I could totally see a reveal where the technique works as well as it could but Ford is sabotaging it with a manufactured collapse to both gently caress with William and make Delos Corp. think they need to spend more time on the project.

We’re already showed, all through season 1, that as soon as Delos thinks he’s no longer needed Ford is gone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tooterfish posted:

They always show Delos deteriorating before William's visits. That's what the spazzy hands with the coffee is. Spilling the cream is the cue for William showing up, every time.

He might've been sabotaging the project some other way, but the visits can't be the trigger because they only happen after the fact.

I thought the last time, with the jump from Jimmy Simpson to Ed Harris shows him not spilling his creme at all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They blew up the data backups for the hosts two episodes ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RugClockVexx posted:

When Ford sees William at the bar and gives him his profile card at the benefit dinner, does he say something to the effect of, "I've come to offer my condolences?" I may be wrong, or misheard it, but if thats what he said, what the hell does that mean? Its especially odd coming right before (the night of) his wife's suicide. I feel like we've discussed the ability to see possible "futures" or outcomes with the cradle and all of its variables, do ya'll think Ford might of seen her death incoming?

He’s come to pay his respects. The benefit dinner was in William’s honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

Maeve was awoken (or at least beginning the process) by the MiB when he attacked her and her daughter. She started flipping out and they basically rewrote her and made her the madam to fix her and she lost the memory of that. Dolores spread the violent ends thing to her, which woke her again/gave her memory back.

It wasn’t just Delores, it was also the STAPH infection causing her pain in the exact same spot the MIB stabbed her. Given what we know now I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford made Bernard infect her in the area so that the pain would start triggering her repressed memories.