Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

KoRMaK posted:

That would explain the fancy paused party in the trailer.

I assume this scene is the reveal for how William takes the family business from Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, but she did linger a bit. After you've done it a few times it's just a wierd hallway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Preston Jacobs, who's "thing" is being way to into Game of Thrones on youtube, is doing an episode by episode recap of Westworld season 1. If you can put up with his wierd gimmick, he does a good job breaking down what does and doesn't make sense given what we know now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

This seems like a lot of overthinking, but if the thread is half as dense with theorycrafting as Lost was, a live thread would save people the trouble of scrolling through pages of "Ooooooh fuuuuck" reaction white noise.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

This was great and finding Divorceworld was a fun twist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well they seem to be rolling down clearly delineated roads so MY FANTASY MURDER IMMERSION. 2/10; very unhappy and I still haven't heard back from corporate. :mad:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lol at putting the security system pass on the door handle.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

THEORY: Preston Jacobs (obsessive GOT nerd) is doing Westworld recaps now, and they are good.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

:eyepop:

edit:
Not even remotely as crazy as his ASoIaF stuff.

He doesn't have a whole extended universe of GURMs sci-fi to dig through, but he is good at picking out symbolism that might mean something. I did like his THEORY at the end that Bernard flooded the valley to kill off the hosts' vertebrae-bombed bodies so they could be reborn. Either way his frustration with Benard's random midday clothing changes and Stubbs generally are fantastic.

Edit: "We need to perform a complicated retrieval process on this long dead guy to know what happened."

*Walks past security personnel headshotting compliant hosts who saw the whole two weeks*

”Welp, that told us what we already knew while providing no new insight. To the dune buggies!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 25, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, I'm going to reserve my wicked smart kid points and put my plot marker down.

Note: I'm putting my stupid theory in spoiler tags. It absolutely is not. I'm putting it in spoilers anyway because once upon a time some very smart goon hit a plot twist on a great show from way, way, downtown and when the twist happened my reaction to the great twist was "eh...I wish I hadn't read that." It is, in fact a stupid theory that's probably wrong. So anyway, my THEORY on THE DOOR is that we've already seen it. It's the door to the lab hidden underneath Old Ford's Country Cottage. When the Man in Black finds it he'll go downstairs to find that a young William body is cooking there. Now that the hosts (and more importantly Dolores) are "real," Ford is offering the Man in Black an opportunity to transfer his consciousness into a host body. The MiB has spent his whole life chasing that original infatuation of the him and Dolores against the world narrative and Ford is giving him the opportunity to play it out. Dolores, with all her memories restored, will have to square the idealistic William she loved with the monster that brutalized her in episode 1. Teddy, as always, will get dropped like a bad habit because he won't be able to break out of his hapless hero routines.

I think it works from a narrative perspective (because where else does the MiB have to go?) from a storytelling perspective (you can introduce some more timeline sleight-of-hand if young William is in the present or future) and also from a real world perspective in that doing so will allow them to cut back on Ed Harris who's got to be a big chunk of the show's budget.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On that note I'd like there to be a Narniaworld, because if talking animals start crossing over poo poo would be lit.

Edit: Did the animals "wake up" too? They were were a part of the back-stage assault last season. If so, do they have different CPUs or are they just limited to animal thoughts and actions? I doubt they'll get into chimeras with voiceboxes, but a pissed off mocking bird would be pretty awesome.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 25, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Let's simulate a hostile foreign navy officer, it really helps sell the PaidMercWorld guests on the experience.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I mean, if the price is right, they have to do modern world right? Brutalizing western peasants is one thing but if I'm really going for power fantasycatharsis I'd like to shoot my actual boss in the face and bang celebrities while the whole restaurant erupts in cheers.

If anything, Westworld's greatest imaginative failure is underestimating the depravity of man.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How much would you be willing to pay for this experience?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

U.K. demoted from island to lovely Calais suburb in brutal self-own.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

That doesn't make any sense because the black hat is paying to be the black hat and they explicitly cater to that.

You can't really have pvp without accepting that a good chunk of your playerbase is gonna get griefed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It would be a hilarious stone-cold gently caress you if William were to lock Old Man Delos' mind into a host like Abernathy as a final, eternal gently caress you.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rajworld is so supremely uncomfortable as a concept. I mean the old west was a competitively anarchistic and free era. Colonial India is the exact opposite and could only be attractive to big game hunters and sadistic bureaucrats. At that point, why not go whole hog for Antebellum South world.

I feel like they thought a tiger would be cool and wrote that one off to explain it. It's sort of a waste because you could create a much better safari theme park by just straight up porting in the what-must-then-be public domain classic Congo. That cast is like 50% clearly NPC quest givers anyway (Joe Don Baker, Joey Pants, Herkema Himolka, Col. Delroy Lindo and Monroe godamn Kelly for starters.)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also, I'd be willing to bet some money that MiB and Lawrence are going to come across Teddy in the same condition that Wyatt left him in season 1.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

In retrospect, Congo makes way more sense as a Delos destination. Of course you can outrun the lava with a Great White Hunter who happens to be black.

esperterra posted:

My headcanon til proven otherwise is that Elsie has reprogrammed Ghost Nation in some way. That's why they hauled off Stubbs and tried to take Sizemore, and wouldn't respond properly to Maeve's admin access commands.

I'd like to think that Ghost Nation achieved sentience a long time ago but no one noticed because they're the designated Other and they voluntarily stayed in thier loops to avoid being rounded up again like Maeve remembers.

Alan Smithee posted:

also I love the redshirt security guys who are driving tactical golfcarts that provide even less protection than a Halo Warthog. This is like 90s action show on USA levels of oversight

While I'm sure the actual answer is "because we wrote it this way, gently caress you" the Confederados inability to shoot lightly armored infanty at range makes sense if it's because Ford wrote it that way and only certain hosts are scripted to harm guests or security. So security will be effective against any host that isn't part of the narrative, which keeps casualties down so someone lives to tell the story. The flaw in that theory is every scene where there are no guests to experience the narrative beats like Dolores realizing that Teddy isn't a killer.

I still think that Dolores and company are still largely on narrative and won't be off script until she figures that out and chooses to shrug off the Wyatt persona.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Disney World probably has better security than this.

DisneyWorld's wildlife has officially notched more kills.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Why does Bernard need to reup brain juice while the rest of the rogue hosts and run wild w bullet holes in them.

Is Bernard addictive to the juice?

He's leaking from the bullet hole despite having access to the advanced bunker that presumably had one of the magic rods of +1 healing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I dunno, the wand seems pretty chill compared to jamming a needle into your cerebellum. Also since it's human/host compatible he could have just said he hit his head or something but whatever, plot!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Even "if" QA is fiercely incompetent, forming a line to advance and fire under is like the one thing that the Confederados are absolutely trained to fight. That's baby town frolics right there.

Also, I want to know if the wildlife is woke or just set to friendly fire okay mode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He is a ghost, in the machine, if you will.

Delos et al. couldn't get the tech to work. Ford got a Williambrain from Site 12 and perfected the code.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think Elsie is still human. :colbert:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Episode was good. Season redeemed

My first thought was that the mind ball was Ford.
Did Mr Delos become sentient towards the end there?

Please, Mr. Delos was my father ps do you have any heroin?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

^^^Or, you know, cuts heal over time^^^

I don't think that Ford needs to manipulate Bernard to do anything. They've established that hosts are still responding to his commands, so Ford could have just scripted Bernard to do whatever.

On that note, Ford's post-death chats with William aren't scripted, he responds to the organic conversation. That implies that at least some version of Ford persists across multiple hosts. I wonder if he's not still actively directing his last story from the intranet cloud.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Alexa, for the longest time, has no answer about whether it ever questioned the nature of it's reality.

Also, Preston Jacobs has the best Westworld analogy. "What if we built toilets, but with taste buds?!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If your office IT guy announced that he was going on vacation, alone, to Southeast Asia, would you think he's going for the food and the temples? Nah.

If you’re going to Westworld, everyone knows why already, they just aren't saying anything because you are rich and/or powerful. They don't need confirmation that you're going to rape and/or murder because you're going to an place that advertises itself as a land of infinite possibilities. For the fabulously wealthy, blatant crimes are like the only thing they can't do.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Do the narratives have non-violent defaults if no one is around to watch? Like Hector gets a bad feeling and they just keep riding through? Shooting up Sweetwater would be an expensive and time-consuming thing if it happened every loop unless disrupted. Now that I think about it, it would also make thematic sense if everything would remain idyllic but for guest interaction/observation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 21, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Reminder that the setting for Congo works well as a Delos destination and the plot makes a lot more sense if the protagonists are guests.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'd be down for Rajworld if they had a Temple of Doom, gonna save me some sibiling

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

esperterra posted:

God I love Party Down.

Bring back Party Down!!!

I like how in reality, this character goes on to form a creepy sex cult populated with crushes from my childhood.

I'm fine with the direction of the show so I don't care about all the stuff that's jacked up by retconning. Like, if host noodle removal is so easy, why leave unused hosts brained up and why are you giving random ones elaborate lobotomies? A palm-size consciousness ball seems way easier to smuggle out than a brain-damaged NPC, etc.

The one thing I can't abide is Mauve and her pet Livestock techs standing by while Akame mourns Sakura. She knows death isn't final and she's been rebuilt many times by the people in her immediate orbit, and they're bound for a spot where they're going backstage. Why on Earth would a character who bonded with a woman over thier mutual love for a child just say "gently caress it, enjoy your grief cause we gotta mosey."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Monologue-control Teddy, best Teddy. I was strapped in for a long, repetitive interrogation scene with Delores before our hero got things back on track.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He's saying that Deadwood was cheaper and should have continued. Bring yourself back online.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I thought the tease at the beginning was pretty blatantly signaling that someone was spinning up an Arnold to imply that we're seeing Arnold on the future beach.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

So what host do we think Ford was building in his secret cabin lab in S1?

Yung William, yo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So, by what means is the cradle populating Virtual Westworld? Is Delores' father Abernathy or the replacement bartender? By same token who is the madame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I haven't worked as an editor for years, but that sequence made me reflexively twitchy. The 180 rule is a thing because things tend to be confusing when you break it. It helps your brain interpret the space so it's almost universally used. Because it's almost universally used, you as a media consumer are further trained to expect it.

Here's a short video on the 180 degree rule and an example of how to break it without throwing your audience off. Now, sometimes directors will intentionally break the 180 for effect, but I don't see any narrative reason to do so. That leads me to believe that there was a gently caress up somewhere along the line and the editor took the hit as best he/she could.