Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Other than the fact she was blackmailing them over the robot rape that was happening with the expensive equipment after hours?

No, you're thinking of Elsie getting that one guy in Livestock Management to let her look at the host that had tried to self-terminate. Maeve appealed to Felix's longing to be a Behavioral programmer, and... she made some kind of offer of assistance to Sylvester, I think? It's been a long-rear end time since I watched the show, but I think the idea was that she knew Syl had some kind of grander illusions as to what he wanted to do with his life, and Maeve offered to help him if he kept his mouth shut and went along with everything.

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought he was feeling up the female hosts and being a general pervert.

Naw, that was that one Livestock guy. Elsie blackmails him with camera footage of him loving a host in the repair bays, because he apparently has a habit of doing that. Up to and including doing it with Hector while another technician is working on Armistice in the very next bay. Which ends with Hector jamming a surgical saw through the guy's chest at the start of the Uprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

It was kind of touched on when Logan wanted to kill Dolores to stop William from following her, but I wonder how the park keeps guests from ruining other guests' experience, other than by making the park so vast and apparently sparsely populated. Like, say there's a bunch of people who want a relatively normal time hanging out in the starting town and drinking at the saloon or banging hookerbots or whatever. What would happen if an ambitiously dickish guest decided to waltz in and "kill" every guest in the area?

the Control Room goes to insane lengths to keep the park running smoothly regarding guest interactions. Visitors get subjected to low-key psychological screening to see what kind of experience they're looking for, and then the computer system uses the hosts and narrative storylines to keep black hats and white hats away from each other. In fact, this even came up during an episode- Hector's gang (plus 2 guests) are in the middle of shooting up the starting town when the Control Room gets buzzed that a group of campers are heading in their direction. Stubbs then immediately gives the order for everything to wrap up- the guest bandits are subdued and hauled off as part of a new narrative loop, and Hector's gang is gunned down by the locals so the bodies can be cleaned up by the time Group 2 pulls in.

Dr Christmas posted:

One thing that bugged me was in the pilot when Eschaton and his gang did their heist and realizing it only really works if you watch it as a scene in a movie or show. To see it as the park's creators wanted them to, a guest would apparently have to watch these guys shoot up the place, silently follow Eschaton into the saloon and watch him enhance in witty banter with Maeve, watch him escape, and then decide you're interested in following up on it. The writer guy was actually mad when someone shot Eschaton, but the fact the bandits survived their opening seconds of their assault in what's supposed to be a populated theme park was small miracle.

that's just the Narrative staffers thinking that they're hot poo poo and insisting on that kind of character-interaction detail. it comes across like a scene from a film because that's how they WANT it to come across; both to make Westworld look and feel more like the experience the guests expect, and because the Narrative people probably don't want to accept that they're only one or two steps up from writing scripts for Disney animatronics

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

E: Also why do Maeve and Delores not like each other / want to team up? They seem to know they are both sentient now but I can't remember how it played out last season.

Maeve doesn't want to go with Dolores because helping the Robot Revolution won't get her to her toaster child. Dolores most likely doesn't like Maeve because Maeve's kid-quest is rooted in false memories given to her by Delos. Off-script or not, she's still acting based on "their" narrative, which really doesn't gel with Dolores' "no gods, only robots" platform.

drunken officeparty posted:

EE: Also also did anyone recognize what city the skyline was?

I don't recognize it, but based on how Arnold said it was closer to the park and the way S2E1 suggested the park is somewhere in Chinese waters, I'm gonna say the city was Shanghai.