Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Didn't Maeve also have Felix max out her stats? I feel like that's a pretty important plot point there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Not Felix was definitely implicated in something pervy

I thought he was feeling up the female hosts and being a general pervert.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Argus Zant posted:

No, you're thinking of Elsie getting that one guy in Livestock Management to let her look at the host that had tried to self-terminate. Maeve appealed to Felix's longing to be a Behavioral programmer, and... she made some kind of offer of assistance to Sylvester, I think? It's been a long-rear end time since I watched the show, but I think the idea was that she knew Syl had some kind of grander illusions as to what he wanted to do with his life, and Maeve offered to help him if he kept his mouth shut and went along with everything.

Naw, that was that one Livestock guy. Elsie blackmails him with camera footage of him loving a host in the repair bays, because he apparently has a habit of doing that. Up to and including doing it with Hector while another technician is working on Armistice in the very next bay. Which ends with Hector jamming a surgical saw through the guy's chest at the start of the Uprising.

Yep. That's right. I'll need to do a rewatch. Maybe this weened even when I hide from family after Thurs and Fri.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

As to why Sylvester doesn't just stupefy Maeve, particularly after she starts to blackmail him, gently caress knows. That's the plot hole.

I was under the impression that after she had her stats maxed out, she didn't go offline anymore. Just sat absolutely still acting like she was, which she can, because robot. Sylvester would be dead before he could access her diagnostics, and he knew it. He also has no way of knowing if she set up some kind of deadman switch to inform the company of the very thing she's using to blackmail him.

Allowing herself to be vulnerable due to downtime would be particularly stupid, which she isn't because of aforementioned stat maxing.

E: yeah. I just watched part of 7 to verify something. Sylvester and Felix have a mini conference out in the hall and Sylvester says that when they take up to Behavior to give her admin access, they instead wipe her "because she'll be out". That implies hosts are never offline unless their personalities or memories are being altered.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 25, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral posted:

Was she just sitting still after she burnt her body to a cinder?

Probably.

I just watched ep 7 and Sylvester and Felix have a mini conference out in the hall and Sylvester says that when they take up to Behavior to give her admin access, they instead wipe her "because she'll be out". That implies hosts are never offline unless their personalities or memories are being altered.

There's really no need for them to be offline at any time other than when their mind is being worked on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

why no one had heard of Westworld until 2-3 years ago

What? That's not true at all. It was well received when it came out and was fairly well known Sci-Fi flick through the 70s and 80s.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s old and campy as hell dude I’d hard pass.

But, yeah. It hasn't aged well, so your milage may vary with it.

If you want to watch Nolan's practice run to Westworld, check out Person of Interest. He somehow managed to slip multi-season mind-gently caress story into a CBS mandated episodic procedural (to the point where the "procedural" part went out the window for the most part in the latter seasons). He also anticipated the half-season order for PoI's last season and managed to wrap everything up in satisfactory manner. It should still be on Netflix. Next to the Bolero sequence in Legion, the cold open to S03 E10 is some of the best TV I've seen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just read the 1st page of the article. That'll be pretty much essential stuff for S01 and S02. The next page gets into some mild (and potentially big) spoilers. Not on anyone plot point, but just fact that some things have happened or exist.

Even though it leaves out some good episodes, follow the guide for S01 and S02. S03 is where the show shifts from procedural of the week to the serialized plot being in the driver seat. Watch all of S03, S04 and S05.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

..but she, noticeably, doesn't leave the park when she can.

This jumped out at me when I watched it too. I was thinking "suuuuure you can leave. Anytime you want, right? You're just turning away because you happened to think of rescuing your daughter right before you boarded the departure car."

She only subverted the code she can get to. It's probably like a VM running over a deeper layer that's completely hidden from everyone.

Also, I agree regarding the violent insurrection in the corporate offices. She gets set up over the season on how she's an extremely intelligent manipulator and getting some gunslingers to slaughter everyone is her plan? If she really wanted to maximize her escape, she'd do it with the least amount of casualties possible.

Which maybe that's the point. Maybe it's part of the deeper code that may or may not be present that lead to the wanton violence. Jonathan Nolan has earned the benefit of the doubt with regards to all of this being deliberate story telling that have convincing reasons within the confines of the show. Person of Interest showed me he can deliver a story where events can have deep and subtle effects in the long term, and everything is happening for a reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Didn’t we see that Ford’s decision tree for her involved commands to leave and infiltrate the mainland? I thought the point of her staying was that it was her will asserting itself for the first time, although having been determined by her prior life not under her own control it’s obviously not total freedom of will.

I plan to do another re-watch soon. I must have missed that first time around. I'll definitely be looking for it this time around. Never mind. I remember now and yes we did see that.

It also makes the motivations for "burn it all" that much more opaque, since you think whoever investigates would be going over things with a fine-tooth comb and Maeve is clever enough to want to avoid showing her hand as much as possible.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 7, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Astroman posted:

I though Ford's plan was for Maeve to get out into The Real World and start infiltrating and poo poo.

Maybe? Or maybe he subverted it with something subtle in her code so it appears to her that she's exercising free-will.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

I'd argue pain, discomfort and so on are just one layer of data processing / a simply more sophisticated algorithm.

Well, that's more or less our brains, just a bunch of heuristic algorithms running in a highly parallelized state. "Consciousness" is probably emergent phenomenon of that. As for Free Will, if it exists it's vanishingly rare as most of us Skinner Box our way through our lives assigning post-hoc rationalizations to every action we take milliseconds after.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

“Hey I been thinking...”
“Oh here we go again with this this.”
“I’m telling you, we shouldn’t make them super strong.”
“Dude what is even the point of building Androids if they aren’t super strong?”
“They’re cowboys, they don’t need to be super anything.”
“Look we’ve been over this...”
“I’m just saying why would we purposely make them so smart and fast and strong and then program all this gun fighting in. Even with just the gun programs they would just wreck our security.”
“Dude, they are androids, we’re building then with super strength and speed and extensive knowledge of 19th century firearms and this will obviously never backfire.”
“... have you even seen Terminator?”
“That movie is for Grandpas dude, it’s like 100 years old.”
“Dude come over tonight you should see this.”

LOL

Yeah, the show should be titled Westworld: WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I just finished a rewatch of the entire series myself. It's a hell of a TV show and easily in my all-time top 5. Everyone should give it a shot while waiting for this to return.

I can still remember when I was just a couple episodes in on S5 and while I knew, step by step, how the show got to this place narratively, I was still stunned at how a crime procedural slowly morphed into a dark, Orwellian science fiction serial.

I am still amazed that this show:

a) was on CBS of all stations. They are *not* known for shows that subvert formula.

b) lasted long enough for Nolan to wrap up and end the show properly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m watching POI S1 right now and I feel like you guys paint it with a bad brush. I’m 5 episodes in and it’s like a fun, inverted crime procedural because the main character isn’t a cop and is constantly doing cool crimes.

All the forensic stuff and hacking is hand-waved instantly without meaningless graphics and Reese is either doing sweet CIA spy poo poo or beating dudes savagely and Finch is like a fun little Oracle dude. I’m enjoying the mystery and haven’t been bored at all, although I am very curious to see how the scope of this show expands because for this show to go some of the places you’ve mentioned it’s gonna have to take off in a pretty big way.

I’m just like allergic to NCIS or SVU I think those shows are lowest common denominator extreme garbo and this so far better than any other cop show and this is apparently the most boring season? Heck yeah!

I think we look back at S1 and "paint it with a bad brush", because compared to the roller coaster ride this show becomes, S1 is almost like a completely different show. However, I'm fan of watching through the entire season, especially for first watch. I think there are important character and plot beats sprinkled throughout that the other 4 use as a foundation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Watch the show you baby

He probably has plans to get rid of his TV so he can smugly pretend not to know shows everyone is watching.

"Game of what? I'm sorry, I don't even own a TV"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the use of music is pretty amazing and there’s something about the direction of the show where I burst into laughter every time someone gets thrown through a plate glass window.

John has probably financed boats for several orthopedic surgeons with all those knee shots.

PS - Bear is the best.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm optimistic that S2 will feature a multi-episode arc with an IT team trying to squash the bug that is causing hosts to kill guests and maybe a moment when somebody tells them and they are like "did you file a ticket?"

HAHAHAHA

"Did you try turning off and back on? When you turn it off, please wait 10 seconds before turning it back on."

Hold message "Many of our customers find they can solve problems themselves using our online knowledge base. You can get to that by logging into your account and..."

"Sir, I'm showing this serial number is out of warranty. Do you have a service contract with us?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so John Nolan/Ramin Djawadi related:

I have really enjoyed Person of Interest seasons 1-2, but season 3 is really impressing me. I’m only up to S3-e9//10 but I’m just brimming with praise.

Reese has really shown a lot of depth this season, which is cool because he’s absolutely taking a big back seat. Harold, Root, Carter, Shaw are all really blowing up and their storylines are fantastic, and Reese has basically been laid pretty bare by the events/revelations of S2. So now they give him amazing scenes like leaving the gun on the table in the yacht.

The music is just bananas good, every time a song takes the foreground in the mixing I pull up my seat because badass poo poo is going down. He definitely has a massive hardon for 90’s trip-hop and downtempo, which to be fair is literally the soundtrack of the birth of the internet, so it’s very fitting I’ll bet somewhat intentional.

Shaw is super fun and a great foil to Harold more than she is to Reese, but Carter is literally the most competent police officer in Television. I’ve never seen someone so convincingly outwit everyone while still tying their own hands so severely. Her taking down HR was way cooler than I was anticipating.

I’m also someone who is pretty exhausted by sex in all my media so the fact that the show just dances around it where as every other network show would give us steamy Reese/Zoe scenes all the time. One hasnt happened yet but even if it does I have faith it’ll be tasteful instead of the usual schlock.

I am extremely interested in where the Machine is taking us, and I have my nerdy pet theories so if anyone feels like chatting about PoI while we wait for Westworld poo poo I’d love to chat.

The last thing I watched was Shaw picking up Fuscoe from his house to go help Reese and and Carter turn in the head of HR, so the whole city is a war zone, please no spoilers :)

No spoilers, but you're coming up on the best episode.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I got my parents into it.

They're a little over halfway through S3 and to quote my 74 year old mom, "It's starting to get a bit weird". But she's hanging in there. And SUPER mad about Carter.

My dad absolutely loves it and how it subverts the usual episodic procedural.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Westworld S2: One of the parks is Parkworld

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I know it will never happen, but I would be insanely happy if there was a JurassicWorld and they used the old school, none CGI dinosaurs that were so terrifying to 5 year old me

While there were a lot of practical FX in Jurassic Park, there was a poo poo-ton of CGI dinosaur stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Closing the thread is a terrible idea.

:agreed:

Also, as ALWAYS happens when there's two threads for the same thing: Everyone will end up posting on one and the other will become a wasteland.