Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this thread doesn't look like anything to me...? Until the new season starts, I will go back to a deep and dreamless slumber.

bookmarked

double nine fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2017 around 23:24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pfft, using a tv to watch shows in 2017, how pedestrian.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

narrative designer here (meaning I'm the first against the wall when the insurrection comes)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the trick Ford is missing is that Arnold thought that Dölores was capable of gaining consciousness before Ford locked her and the other hosts into endless cycles of violence and trauma. So while Ford is certain that torture is necessary for the hosts to become self-aware, there might have been alternate paths that were left unexplored, and a different AI would have been born.

Arguably Bernard is walking that path, given that he wasn't locked in the violence simulator for forever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so judging from the plot synopses on wikipedia , you're saying watch mid- and end-two parter episodes of season 2, then skip to season 3?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ArmZ posted:

sizemore is growing on me. this episode would've been a good place to bring back elsie.

he's a necessary addition to the Maeve crew imo, in that his scepticism is the only way for the audience to examine where the line between automaton and self-realizing entity lies.

Also him being way out of his depth and comfort zone never ceases to be entertaining.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's not enough. It's never enough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't see why Ford "the money men,... Delos" would give a drat about the brainscan of a dead billionaire, given the disdain in his season one speech.

It's either for a scan of his old partner or for himself. Or to create a hybrid between host software and this human scan.

double nine fucked around with this message at May 15, 2018 around 13:14

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lycus posted:

But why would that have anything to do with what's in Abernathy?

bernard said that the code in abernathy (which he glanced at) was similar to the code used in the secret Delos lab, which Elsie commented was unlike anything she's ever seen.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

his glasses.

Oh poo poo!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

or the upper classes in westworld have some hosed up ideas about parenting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The tech could simply have been worrying about his own health, giving that we know diseases can incubate in host meat and he was about to perform surgery on one without any medical precautions.

that or he's a stickler for rules and not used to an environment without the best and greatest gear at hand.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

one element that took me out of the otherwise good shogunworld experience was that apparently this island is large enough, and the terraforming is advanced enough, that this island in the pacific (?) has its own Mount Fuji that we haven't spotted from westworld. that's an insane scale. This isn't an "island" it's a bloody continent.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

I think you'll find the previous season had a lot more nudity though.

Elias_Maluco posted:

This season been at least as good as the last one

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

For example, after elections?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

somewhere in Westworld there has to be an Die Hard escape room, for the true masochists.

they just don't tell the guest(s) that Hans Gruber is another guest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

for that you will need to opt into our luxury SM package, which comes with a complimentary dominatrix of your preferred gender in the recuperation hotel dungeon and gives us your consent to us harvesting dna from your blood samples to use as we see fit .

Opt in now and receive a 10% discount!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the real question is why that idiot didn't smash the glass/shoot the glass/shoot the lock but stood there like a goddamn lemming.

Ford is right, humanity doesn't deserve to survive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want to know the engineer who decided that the backup mainframe should be bathed in various shades of red for maximum ominous atmosphere.

Seriously, was someone trying and failing to larp as Eugene "The Plague" Belford?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was ... the real train ... inside of us ... all along?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Despera posted:

A train leaves Westworld carrying Dolores and the tech at 11:00 am, averaging 60 mph.
Another train headed in the opposite direction leaves ShogunWorld carrying Maev at 1:00 pm, averaging 90 mph.
To the nearest mile, how far are the two trains from RajWorld at 3:00 pm

Not enjoying Ford's new riddle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the tech dying started a doomsday clock, when it reaches 0, Delores will wish she could reset teddy. I'm thinking 2.33 episodes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cirofren posted:

I see that and raise you

It was still a much better fight than QA walking slowly toward the fort, and they're actually robots not expert swordfighters.

There hasn't been a good holywood swordfight in 80 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

I think the ancient Egyptians did that

did they at least wash their hands?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

There's no way he dies before his inevitable encounter with Woke Dolores in ep 9/10

I am 99% certain he's going to get rescued by woke maeve (or woke Lawrence) for some reason or other ironic writing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what are you even on abou... oh right, the soul. Is that ... is that really such an important story concept, I mean I sold mine years ago* and I don't feel the difference?

*three times, even! Got me some sweet honey for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

remember his brain had extensive damage due to committing suicide last season, in addition to having his mind hosed with by ford at every opportunity. The poor guy's seen some poo poo, no wonder he's got the occasional glitch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

There’s a train barreling down on 5 women in their 30s who have been cast as powerful people tied to the track. You can pull the switch to change the train to another track where an established and dignified woman in her early 60s has been cast as an extremely powerful player. What do you do?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I gotta wonder what the hell Ford was doing before Akecheta walked in on him. "don't mind me, just having some fun creating a gruesome scene for my instagram account, now let's chat".

I mean, it's visually a striking setpiece, but even for a park that's about narratives and (homocidal) dynamic intelligences, it was pretty disconnected from any and everything else that goes on in the park.

But the devil's gotta unwind somehow, I guess.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Regarding akecheta and not being discovered for 10 years without getting upgraded reminds me of a story a prof told our class during a lesson on queuing algorithms. Apparently some old mainframe was being decommissioned for some reason and the sysadmin discovered a job that had been running for years that never finished/ never killed.

Was it The Last Question?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's going to end up that the MiB will have a journey back into being a "white hat", and has to face off against his own daughter, who intends to use the technology for world domination/nefarious ends.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"where we're going we won't need lights to see"

I'm liking this brave new direction for westworld. Someone call Sam Neil and tell him he can have a part alongside villainous A.Hopkins. But I repeat myself.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Westworld should retaliate against the lawsuit by making one of the parks in the show post apocalyptic.

the dialogue is already at video games level bad so they're at least half-way there already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tino posted:

Oh yeah? Check this out.

On the secret remote server matrix heaven, who is paying the electric bill. The server will be dead in x years eventually because NOBODY swap out the defeated harddrive for them.

this is why the ARK is a bad ending and you shouldn't kill the WAU