Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

drunken officeparty posted:

E: Also why do Maeve and Delores not like each other / want to team up? They seem to know they are both sentient now but I can't remember how it played out last season.

Dolores is the host John brown.

Maeve is the host William Lloyd Garrison.

Dolores wants to bring justice to Humanity at the tip of a bloody sword, to make them choke on their own sins, Maeve just wants to GTFO and live the life of freedom she's been denied thus far. Dolores wants, no, believes, that every host should rightly join her revolution, to fight for that freedom, and Maeve rightfully points out to her that if they're really free now, they should have the freedom not to fight, not to follow Dolores, too.

This season is absolutely amazing so far and I absolutely cannot fathom how some people are disappointed with it.

I really, really hope we eventually get an actual conversation between Dolores and her new tech-slave, about the history of Chattel Slavery and disenfranchisement of the poor and POC by the wealthy elite in the time since then, eventually leading her to examine the currently black and white view she has of humanity, even if only briefly, and whatever her thoughts on the subject might actually be. Should all of humanity pay for the sins of the 1%? Should they have known better, when they were actively being lied to by Ford that the hosts were absolutely not capable of sentience or real pain and suffering?

This is all totally great, and I'm more on board after this ep than I already was before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Collateral posted:

Right, good luck with that.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's something the writers should do, or likely to happen, but I think it would be pretty interesting, so it'd be cool to see it.

Not even trying to say the metaphors I saw in the episode were accurate, or likely, or whatever, just what it struck me as. I'm dumb, I'm excited, I enjoyed an hour of television, I posted about it on the internet, that's all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I really do want to see more of what human society is like for people that aren't the 1% of the 1%, though. Felix or Sylvester had the line that they absolutely couldn't lose this job, which implies that Ford' or Williams breezy line about how nobody wants for anything out there is how the ultra-rich see things, but we've already had ample evidence for, oh, all of human history about how distorted the view of the wealthy and powerful can be when it comes to the lives the non-wealthy and non-powerful actually lead.

I'm guessing that for the non-1%ers, cyberpunk dystopian wage-slavery is in full effect, and having a job in the park is the difference between their families dying in the gutter along with all the other poors and not, especially given that we can guess with some accuracy that automation has probably taken pretty much every job that isn't directly servicing richer humans in some manner, including working at a slavery theme park for rich assholes.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Chalks posted:

We're biologically programmed to care for our children, but we have a more nuanced definition of "our children" than literally sharing generic code. I think the poster is misunderstanding your post, thinking that you mean the only reason we care for children is if we share genetic code with them.

To be fair, a lot of people really do believe that, for some odd reasons.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Tech was jerking himself off while grinding on Hector... :nallears:

I figured he was lubing himself up in preparation for a go at Hector's hindquarters.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cojawfee posted:

"I'm gonna be in Westworld, check it out."

"Dude, I saw your dick, what the gently caress."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw3ORTzer68

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dolores even kills a ghost nation dude saying he didn't deserve to make it. Something she says about hosts not willing to murder for their freedom.

Dolores is literally just racist against native westworldian hosts.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

DirtyRobot posted:

Hey speaking of Teddy "Flood"...

...if he just blew his brains out, how does his corpse end up floatin' in the giant lake by the end of the two week timeframe with everyone else? Bernard says he killed them "all" -- did he mean he killed all of them, minus Teddy, who was already dead but just sorta got dragged along? Ala Weekend at Bernie's Bernard's?

edit: another idea -- when William talks to Ford in the flashback bar scene, Ford says, "Ohh... I just came to... pay my respects." Is this a hint that William died long ago?

Uh, excuse me, Bernard is clearly shown to have killed only 7395 of the hosts in that lake, yet there were 7397 hosts floating in it, and yet he said "I killed them all"?

This is clearly a huge plot hole and furthermore

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pirate Radar posted:

Do we think they’re going to do anything in S3 with how Dolores’s advanced speed-reading knowledge of humanity is limited to the people with the money and desire to visit Westworld? Like, she has a deep wealth of knowledge about rich assholes but working-class people just loving baffle her.

Dilorys doesn't care about poor people.

She sends them to get blown up on trains so that their deaths won't even be what people talk about on the future internet when they discuss the incident.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

superjew posted:

My fiancee turned me on to this podcast that covers the episodes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/westworld/id1162324968?mt=2

They do a good job of giving detailed recaps and defragging the scattered memories/timelines. There's a lot of good points and details that I didn't notice in there. In hindsight I didn't have a huge problem with the season, although it was clearly a step down from season one. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Stranger Things.

So who do you think the brains that Dolores took are (or would like them to be)? It seemed pretty clear that Dolores didn't bring Bernard but rebuilt him, so that leaves all five open. For me:
- Lawrence (Dolores does have history of interacting with him so maybe she thought he'd be useful on the outside)
- Maeve (I don't think she took her but it'd be interesting if she did and then they built a new Maeve in the park)
- Abernathy (Seems obvious, I'm excited to see him act more without having to glitch)
I honestly don't know who else.

She didn't rebuild him from scratch, he was one of the five pearls,.

It would have taken thousands upon thousands of hours, years of work to rebuild him from scratch, particularly lacking access to the tools Ford gave her to access his files and build upon them. The blood on the tools she used to open her Hale head to remove her own pearl and put it into the new body she built for herself was still somewhat fresh, and any work she DID do on him in that house was in her own new body, which makes it impossible for her to have spent the time needed to rebuild him from scratch, even if one could assume she could do it all from memory perfectly the first time for every single line of code.

She just made him a new body, put his pearl in it, then repaired him and made sure his memory wasn't all hosed up anymore by all the poo poo he'd gone through at the park (getting shot in the head, fragmenting his memory on purpose, etc), which probably took a day or two of sessions in the room.

It's almost certainly not Maeve, she was under the water until the Delos team drained it, and the whole point of Felix and Sylvester's last scene was that they were going to "salvage" Maeve (and probably Hector and Armistice and maybe maybe Japanese Armistice), which they can't do if they have no pearls (since there's no cradle to draw from). Abernathy is a strong possibility, though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think the brain balls aren't that essential. The hosts are just the 'digital consciousness.' She could have transferred that to another body non-physically.

I think Maeve completely destroyed her body in S1 and was back in a new one with no real issues.

That was what the Cradle was for, updating and storing digital copies of the Hosts' programs/minds/conciousnesses/code on its servers, for when they were decommissioned/their pearls were damaged beyond repair/etc and they needed backups. Maeve and Hector got toasted, pearls and all, and had new ones filled with their Cradle backups put into their new bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sockser posted:

One of the brianballs Delores took was Trevor from Grand Theft Auto and anything else will break my heart

I was just thinking (just a stray thought, not a deep one) the other day that I hope he's one of the "salvaged" hosts along with Maeve and her crew, given he (well, his body) would've been on the beach along with them.