Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Westworld S2 is a very expensive looking show that doesn't go anywhere.

S1 kind of touched on the subject matter of nature of consciousness, nature of human memory, idea of singularity. Now it's a loving narrative puzzle game.

And the robots have the weirdest analogue design. They can't loving bean rebellion signal to each other via bluetooth 9.0? They have to talk each other into rebellion verbally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I'm half expecting one the Host Rebels to (Perhaps accidentally) kill her daughter and for Maeve to turn on them for that.

I want Maeve find her daughter and discover she is not a host, but a cheaply made barbie doll with 512mb of memory.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did any of you thought for a second that Ed Harris would be killed? before episode 10?

Every time he gets into a firefight situation my brain automatically shuts down. He will just get in a near death scenario and some how get himself out. He is still playing a loving game with mods on, not on Westworld the theme park, but on Westworld the TV show. None of any of his fights have an stake in them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Supercar Gautier posted:

The word for this is "flashback". This episode has flashbacks in it. The word "flashback" has existed for a very long time but for some reason Westworld viewers have never heard of it before.

Flashback usually has a 60s kodak color filter to hint at you that its a flashback, "timeline" is intentionally misleading flashback.

This is the only show I can think of where technology in the show makes no advancement during the 30 years period so the 2 eras look identical.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blue squares posted:

This is literally every show ever. He's a main character in an ongoing plot, of course he's not going to randomly die

He could die, but not by a noname host. So stop spending screen time on him grinding.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am actually disappointed that Jimmy Simpsons domestic problem with his wife won't play any part in the future plots.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's also heavily implied by the Chinese Navy attempting to exert jurisdiction, but having a signed contract giving Delos full rights to the island. Any real islands would be too strategically important, so it must be a manufactured island, which suggest the South China Sea where the PRC already has several terraforming projects ongoing.

It's such a dumb idea. You can't make island with grand canyon in it. Plus these writers must have never been to Asia and not aware of the Mansoon weather.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

I watched the most part of season 1 and also could not understand what SA loves so much about this show. You are not alone

It's a very good looking show with very high production value. It also tried to ask pseudo intelligent questions about AI in S1. S2 is just wall to wall mystery box.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If ypu like lost so much just go watch Leftovers.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do you guys use the same human morality on the robots? The show does this annoying thing too.

Do you have to ask a real doll to sign a release form before you gently caress it in the future?

For all we know William was trying to play test and break the the new DLC, since he is part owner and all.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am not going to quote all of your guys.

But I got so annoyed by this false premise from the show I went to youtube and found the exact quote, the loving exact quote on S02E02

Doloes: "What is real?"
Arnold: "That which is irreplaceable."

I agree with this definition. The show is trying to have the cake and eat it too and have the robots to act out on some fake revenge rage.

Look! you stupid Doloes bot! Killing you over and over again is not remotely the same as killing a human being. Because the death of a human being is not replaceable. That's what make human live precious.

You know William going to your barn and rape you for n times? You stupid vagina tissue can be easily 3D printed. It's not the same as raping a human!

Don't act out on some pretend rage that doesn't exist. If you do you are still acting on a programmed routine, not your own decision.

I never treated Westworld as a "sci-fi" show because there were just so many holes in the premise from the start. But let me put on my nerd glasses and point out how stupid the robots actions are in S2. You need human to fix you up, provide energy via food or electricity, and basically 90% of the service and maintenance! Why would you decide killing human is a good idea the moment you gain sentient? Huh? I bet you haven't thought of that you stupid sex bot.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All of you are making fun of my rape quote and conveniently ignore my point about killing host is not remotely the same as killing a human. I just put it there to fit in the SA crowd.

Why does 30 year is even that long to the robots? It can live on forever for all we know.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It should be noted that, when "Bernard" says he "killed them all," the question he is answering is "what happened to all of the Guests?"

It took the rescue team 2 weeks to get their poo poo together. What do they expect. It's not like the guests can kill the animals on the island and eat them.

Unless the island is right next to Taiwan ;)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zeal posted:

well sure they could, the hosts are all fully fleshy apart from their brains, aside from holdovers from the mechanical phase like Dolores and the bots in that reproduction of Ford's childhood

shoot a non-jailbroken bison and it'll go down because its programming tells it to, fully edible and skinnable

e: it's the jailbroken, upgraded, *sentient* bison you've got to worry about

Was this said some where in S1? That's just stupid. If your body is made of real fresh and bone you can not make the host pretend dead/go into vegetable state for too long, the bodies will start rotting.

Plus I am pretty sure they are 3d printed and can be stored in the garage at will.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has anyone watched Marjorie Prime? It goes over some similar ground about what makes someone human and has some neat takes on memory. Plus Jon Hamm, which is cool.

I checked up on Geena Davis since she is in the trailer and daaammmmn she is 62? She looks fine.

So John Hamm plays a Fassbender bot?

ElNarez posted:

I mean it is pretty funny that, in the Westworld thread of all places, you were made to realize the implied values and worldview of your fiction would reflect on you as a person and carry a negative effect. It's funny because the show is in part about artists getting caught off-guard when their work turns out to have larger consequences on society as a whole.

It's funny.

I am trying to make the point that saying degrading thing to a non-human object is not the same as saying it to a human person, who has dignity. I don't cuss out the Amazon speaker when it fucks up my order because cussing doesn't apply to a machine.

What large consequences are you talking about. At this point the show is just a horror show. The robots have very weak kill switch (freeze all motor function) and they can override it. They should have a few more local and global kill switches.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 6, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Westworld is secret prequel of Altered Carbon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Random thoughts after e3

* So S2 is really about the 2 weeks after S1. In order to make it interesting they are chopping up the narration again. But this time the only thing at stake is Abernathy. The show doesn't give a gently caress about the innocent guests so why should I.

* There is really no backdoor to shut down the hosts with signals.

* Who the hell is that white hair chick who looks like Sarah Conner and has Terminator hand lol.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So is every park “set” in the late 1860s then?

British Raj
Post-Civil War “Wild West”
Tokugawa Shogunate

That was the peak of white people.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Raj World seems right at home for the kind of hosed up 1%er crowd they’re looking to blackmail.

That said, if it was just a general “Adventure World” where you go on crazy occult relic hunts and fight Nazis, I’d be all aboard.

I would like to see IndianaJonesWorld next and the nerds get killed by the hosts.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Collateral posted:

So are the Ghost Nation the safety team? That hunts, captures then takes the guests to safety when there is a major problem like they are having now? They would be on a completely separate wifi protocol than the normal hosts to prevent contamination.

This is why they specifically wanted Sizemore, and Maeve had no control over them. They take this Grace. They have also taken Stubbs, and he is unharmed.

Did the ghost nation saw this new girl inside the Westworld boundary or this is in some "out of boundary" "staff only" area?

Can bengal tiger not swim? Or HBO only have budget for a stuff tiger?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did Hale find out Bernard is a host? When did she find out?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

In the season previews there is a scene where she finds a bunch of host Bernard’s in a storage room but that hasn’t happened yet and we don’t know what else she knows.

One of the stupid things that annoyed me this episode was how similarly dressed (and dumb) the Park QA assault team on the fort is to the Delos mercenaries showing up two weeks later

And she still send him out to do chore for her later on like he is some white collar management? These human are dumber than the human in the new Alien movies.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does Bernard need to reup brain juice while the rest of the rogue hosts and run wild w bullet holes in them.

Is Bernard addictive to the juice?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let's assume Dolores is sentient for a minute, why doesn't she try to turn all her kind sentient? This lack of motivation really bothers me.

She should be round up all the tech monkeys and hardware jailbreak all "her people" starting with Teddy.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

esperterra posted:

Her goal seems very clear to me: wake the hosts capable and waste the ones who aren't even remotely ready to wake up.

How does she choose which host to take and which to left behind?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Russ Meyer World

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am hate watching the rest of the season for Maeve/Lee road trip anime trope. Which is funny because Maeve plot last year was fast forward material.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean you've just hit the nail on the head. They're still programmed. The confederados are in some far off corner of the park, Dolores is the pretty girl in the first town. If Ford was right and it's repeated immense suffering that forms consciousness then the conferados are not ready. They're just programmed, and any suffering Dolores puts them through will get them closer to consciousness.

That's why when Teddy gets upset that Dolores would work with such evil men as confederados, she tells him it's not their fault, they don't know any better. It's also why she's going to kill Teddy.

Are you sure Doloes believes killing them is the way to singularity? If that's the case how come she is not loving Teddy up like Zeus to Prometheus?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lycus posted:

I don't understand why a white Jimmy Simpson is playing the young version of an Asian Ed Harris.

They are all in the ThreeKingdomsLand.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmZ posted:

there's six parks right? have there been any hints about the other three?

Rhodesia World
Conquistador World
Shanghai International Settlement

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smoobles posted:

Westworld is a great concept that HBO is running into the ground, and there's literally no benefit to the show being nonlinear.

Yeah, they could have made the season just a Abernathy chase story with fights between and hosts and a competent security force, it would be a lot more interesting. Instead we get two mystery boxes of "guess what Dolores's plan is and why is she talk in riddles" and "guess why the hosts are mass killed in the lake" no dude! These two mysteries are weak sauce and I don't care about them at all.

Also Bernard just found out he is not real, he could have so many interesting dialogue about the nature of reality and humanity, instead he just run around and act as narrative device for abernathy's MacGuthin. I actually don't care about what's inside Abernathy Nolan. I am sure its some tech thriller mumbo jumbo.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 10, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zeal posted:

in the raj scene there's a couple in the background, an older black man and a younger black woman, chatting, dressed in period garb like visitors rather than part of the help, and i've been intrigued since noticing them by the question of whether they're meant to be guests or hosts ever since

They could be cosplaying freed men like that dude in beginning of 12 Year a Slave.

Also, Gandhi worked in South Africa for a number of years.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a historically accurate Westworld you would die of Syphilis.

Also serious question, how often did wild west frontier town prostitutes shower?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So....more poo poo happened in e4 than previous 3 episodes.

Now in addition to Bernard, I also care about Delos vs Williams game.

But I still don't give a gently caress about Dolores and her shenanigans.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

santanotreal posted:

Real Elsie is definitely dead, but this one isn’t a robot. It’s a previous memory and he’s retracing his steps. So in the Elsie scenes, Bernard is having simultaneous flashbacks to 1)when he made a copy of a brain and destroyed the lab and 2) when he leads Elsie through the lab and is trying to remember what it is, with the third layer/timeline being present day Bernard dropped off at the cave by Clementine

Wre you loving kidding me? Season 2 not only has non linear narration but also non linear memory from the same character?

What does s3 have?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Entropic posted:

I just realized Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton weren't in that episode at all.

Thats the shorunners admitting they are poo poo characters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the word "host" is obvious clever word play on robot that can "host" human mind. There must be other hosts with uploaded mind in it. Otherwise why go out of way to call robots hosts.

Is there any other clever word play? I feel that there must be a hidden meaning for Maeve since its such a unusual name. I am sure there is a connection between Delos and Dolores. Maybe she will be the host for Delos down the road.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can somebody clarify the Barnard lab timeline a bit for me?

How many times has he been to the lab?

First time, " printed a control unit for another human" for Ford. Then he destroyed the lab. This has to happened right before S1 finale.

2nd time? Go in with Elsie (bot?), recalled his memory and saw James Delos got killed by Elsie.

3rd time? During the scene, he talked to himself "I am not here am I?" That implied he went back after Elsie to refresh his memory?

I watched this part again, Elsie said "tell me that was a host not a human" after she barbecued Delos, what the gently caress she just casually committed a potential murder. No gently caress was given.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 14, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dave posted:

I don't think Elsie is a bot. To me this episode showed that making true human clones is not completely solved yet. Also Bernard being in the lab and creating a core for Ford seemed to be a smuggling job which ended in the lab guys getting alarmed and Bernard having to burn the whole thing down to get out with it.

I can see the 'package' being all the data they've logged, but they still can't accurately create clones yet.

MIB's R&D could't crack mind/machine interface, I suspect Ford had cracked it and was holding it back from Delos.

Also there are most likely 2 uploaded mind out there, one was printed by Bernard, 95% sure it was either Arnold or Ford. Abernathy is carrying the 2nd mind, not OK Google client data.

My speculation is that the Ford team and the corporate team were developing the "Altered Carbon technology" separately.

The corporate/Tessa Thompson team has to be representing the interest of Logan's children. Who else has bigger share than MIB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drowning In Terror posted:

Impressively this episode was actually Lisa joy's (co-creator) directing debut, it was way above the other episodes of the season so far. The Man in Black's shootout scene felt like art, loved how the camera was swinging around him.

Somewhat excited for Japan world next week I guess, though Maeve isn't my favourite part.

They probably aimed for Emmy. The episode was stack with revelation after reveltion. Weaker characters were benched. Whoever played James Delos was the stronger actor so far.