Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still don't quite get the logistics of how the park works timeline-wise, like the duration of a stay, and how often guests arrive. Is everything first-come, first-served? Like if I wanted to try the Dolores storyline on a visit, would I just be out of luck because William bogarted her for 30 years? It seems like the workers reset everything pretty immediately but other storylines take multiple days to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

I swear to god a full twenty minutes were eaten up by him just helplessly gawking at nothing in particular. We get it, show. He's confused. How riveting. :geno:
He's not just confused, he's malfunctioning and has a corrupted CPU.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At least they're not pretending like it's a twist or anything, it's just a way to tell the story. By having dual-timelines, they can spread out both over the entire season, rather than having them come sequentially. That means more variety in the plot on a per-episode basis, and the ability to introduce new characters early on rather than halfway through the season. For Westworld in particular, the fact that the hosts have perfect recall when not artificially hosed with, obviously also makes the device potentially useful.
We also don't know exactly when Dolores/Teddy's plot takes place. It's not the present-time Bernard/Karl/Stubbs story since Teddy's dead, but it's not necessarily concurrent with the Bernard/Charlotte & Maeve/Lee stories either.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rich thick and creamy posted:

You gotta remember William is the principal shareholder in the company. So odds are good that he is well aware of the DNA harvesting and might have even secretly authorized it himself. There's a good chance he wasn't to overcome with horror when he witnessed board members get wiped out as he was planning on replacing them with hosts-doubles at some point anyway.
He's also a pretty fundamentally broken person. Logan was right; William put on this air of being a weak nebbish loser, but he really just got off on loving people over and admits himself that he developed a taste for killing. That, and he became a hardcore MMORPG poopsocker after just one visit.

Neurosis posted:

but yeah even then the thought of trapping someone to a groundhog day which might involve being repeatedly raped and killed for kicks should still be enough to stop that line of thinking... not to mention even if they were totally unconscious i cannot imagine having a rape themepark doing good for society when the guests go back.
They addressed this to a degree in BSG with the Pegasus arc, and the Six they had in captivity that the Admiral would let the men rape and beat for kicks. Her argument was "you can't rape a machine" even though a) she had feelings for the Six before she knew it was a Cylon, b) it was clearly feeling pain and suffering, and c) the actions of the men who treated this activity like sport were clearly reprehensible.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

I think it's definitely going to have to be several more episodes before we can judge if Dolores' monologues are supposed to be corny in-fiction as well as outside it because it easily can be chunks of what was written for Wyatt shining through, just as easily as it can be just dumb writing

Judging by the scene on the beach in the S1 finale, her recent dialogue is most likely intentional. The way she speaks now has the exact same melodramatic vibes as that scene. I think she's carrying out a malfunction/misinterpretation of her new story - dramatically scripted, but with a new agenda.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Louis Herthum is knocking it out of the park. He plays the malfunctioning, programming-conflicted AI so well. I'm surprised he hasn't been in a lot of major roles before, mostly just bit-parts.

whatever7 posted:

That was the peak of white people.
This is an interesting point, especially if other parks are Roman and/or Renaissance. Their parks are the pinnacles of white imperialism (even the shogunate collapsed in part due to Western treaties), encapsulated in another rich white people's technological triumph as a theme park. Not saying this is the point of the park, but Delos is funded by super rich white people and the parks certainly seem to be history viewed through a very Western lens.

On that note I'd honestly be surprised if one of the parks didn't turn out to be Pirate World. Or at least an explanation of their lack of a pirate theme park being "Too much water, we couldn't protect the guests from drowning or the hosts from shorting out." That, or "We didn't want to make the same period parks as Assassin's Creed."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

Also if he thinks Ford made the daughter know about the profile, why couldn’t he also have given her the actual card. Having it is only more evidence that she’s a bot. Find a big rock and get head smashin’ William, it’s the only way to be sure.
I honestly like the idea of her being real more, because it seals the deal that William is the true villain of the show, BUT upon thinking it over there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

-A host could still have the card if Ford was the one sending her in.
-Wouldn't real security guards still be carrying the target-smart weapons that don't kill humans? Even if the bots can shoot humans now, why would the guards be able to?
-They made sure to not have her be the one shot in her intro scene at the Raj, made sure we didn't see her scan, and made sure William stopped before cutting her open.
-They focused on the music box with the dancer on the right side, when she clearly described it being in the middle.
-Ford directly said "no William, one more game" in this episode shortly before the shooting scene, at a party his daughter attended.

If nothing else they made it super ambiguous on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DaveKap posted:

And that link explaining what happened with William... so we're seeing him enter the elevator.. in the future timeline? Like, the hosts set up the dead people and the ATV behind him? They put that little pool of blood next to him as a part of the test? They leave the elevator lights red? Am I really supposed to believe that? Wait I just read the comment that the entire William plot is a simulation in a completely separate timeline? HUH!?! What's even the loving POINT?!

I was looking closely for purposely vague words and phrases in the interview with Lisa Joy, and when she addresses the post-credits scene she doesn't spill as many details as it seems. She's addressing what the viewer interpretation of the "story" is supposed to be, and how the interviewer "got it", but she doesn't reveal the details directly or say what "version" of William it is. I think her "very different timeline" comment is her being cagey about when that scene takes place, and that it's a direct continuation of the scene when he got up and walked to the elevator. So the scene where Stubbs sees him in the tent happens after that. Host-Emily giving him a fidelity test is the game Ford designed for him, and she's just making him (and us) think he's in the future, and a host, when neither is true.