Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Please let this culminate in a Deus ex-style reveal that sentient AI's have been let loose on the internet and they're doing all they can to get back at their creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It pretty obviously just bots grinding out content to generate views. You'd think Youtube would do something up their website getting clogged up with gross nonsensical bullshit but I guess not.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

the elsagate subreddit seems to be full of the kind of people who think pizzagate is real, but there is deffo. something odd going on - maybe not pedo rings but easily view manipulation

Yeah they think it's a big deal that JOE ROGAN thinks there might be something to it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ChickenHeart posted:

Please let this culminate in a Deus ex-style reveal that sentient AI's have been let loose on the internet and they're doing all they can to get back at their creators.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElsaGate/comments/7bmq40/codedgibberish_comments/

this is where it started spooking me out. thai messages about parking lots? What the fucks?

this is actually pretty spooky lol. drat

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It pretty obviously just bots grinding out content to generate views. You'd think Youtube would do something up their website getting clogged up with gross nonsensical bullshit but I guess not.

youtube makes money from gross nonsensical bullshit so they don't care

the weird cyberpunk part is kids spending a significant amount of time watching content shat out by machines for clicks. who could've even imagined this poo poo. has an idea like this ever been conceived of in predictive fiction.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its a bot loose on the internet, just creating videos and accounts to generate money that it invests using algorithms, its amassing huge amounts of wealth but we do not know whyyyy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
10 years ago even us deranged forums goons couldnt imagine how freaking bizarre the internet of today would be lol

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't it just that people are gaming the algorithms with tons of keywords that kids might like, and seeing what sticks? They have teams of lovely animators working for cheap in India or SEA, churning out video after video, and then whoever is uploading the content sees what gets the most clicks, and asks for more of it. So while we as adults might think that Mickey mouse getting drunk and cutting himself or Paw Patrol burning themself is supremely weird and hosed up, kids are most likely wired to find stuff like that funny or fascinating. So, after a few years of this, you end up with this weird sea of bizarre crap, because for whatever psychological or developmental reason, kids are somehow drawn to it. And whatever gets the most views is what is gonna be emulated or repeated.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I personally think it's 90% automated bots gone out of loving control with the worst possible and easiest target auidience, and 10% a mix of all the other reasons, i.e. humans trying to control and harness the bots going wild and unchecked for profit/weirdness/psyops/fun/illness

Youtube is going to look hosed as all hell in 10 years

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Hemingway To Go! posted:

youtube makes money from gross nonsensical bullshit so they don't care

the weird cyberpunk part is kids spending a significant amount of time watching content shat out by machines for clicks. who could've even imagined this poo poo. has an idea like this ever been conceived of in predictive fiction.

Are advertisers going to keep paying when they realize their ads are just being watched by babies? In any case it seems to me like Youtube's long-term interests are best served by paying at least a tiny little bit of attention to the quality of the content that's going onto their site.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
theyll probably have to shutter youtube kids and the other algo kids programming after some big save the children senate hearings or something. childrens content on tv is heavily regulated and curated by, uh, professionals. maybe. its 2017 and up is down and etc so probably not but but idk

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You'd think Youtube would do something up their website getting clogged up with gross nonsensical bullshit but I guess not.

Bardeh posted:

Mickey mouse getting drunk and cutting himself or Paw Patrol burning themself

Idg why are the IP owners for these not DMCA'ing the poo poo out of these hosed up knockoff cartoons? :confused:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's not that kids are drawn to it it's that parents are putting their babies and toddlers in front of a tablet and playing some disney cartoon or whatever while they go off to be lovely parents somewhere else. Because of the keywords used, after the preliminary cartoon the parent put on ends (if autoplay is on) it moves onto these weird ones. Since the person behind the tablet is a loving baby they can't stop the video so it just goes on to play more and more of these. Which further reinforces the algorithm to suggest them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
on the reddit they're getting some of the channels taken down but there's so many.
reading more of the reddit I'm noticing that the people getting the most into this are admitted noSleep readers and have usernames like Deepweb420, CaverTed, and Icametobespooked, lol.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

myDad posted:

Hmmm

There might be more going on than just the content. There are encoded comments alluding to human tracking on the videos as well.

Oh give me a break with the conspiracy theories. There's money to be made off this. They have an algorithm to generate the video titles, content and descriptions and then they monetise the videos and pay botters to bump up the popularity so they get featured. It's not rocket science and I don't understand why everytime something like this comes up it has to be the act of some secret society hellbent on society's undoing.

It's not some big conspiracy theory. It's just that kids like odd poo poo and people realised they could pump that poo poo out algorithmically. The problem with algorithms for this kind of thing is that they can produce strange results if no one is bothering to check on them.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Oh give me a break with the conspiracy theories. There's money to be made off this. They have an algorithm to generate the video titles, content and descriptions and then they monetise the videos and pay botters to bump up the popularity so they get featured. It's not rocket science and I don't understand why everytime something like this comes up it has to be the act of some secret society hellbent on society's undoing.

Lol did you read the link? Last time we had one of these threads I decrypted a bunch of cyphers & just got deeper into the rabbit hole. It is definitely what it appears to be on the surface, but that may not be all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Bullshit we all watched boatloads of garbage content shat out by humans for clicks, including a lot of poo poo similar to this Elsagate crap with the knowing wink of irony and weirdos. This poo poo is the logical end of that paradigm, where the viewers are literal babies and the content creation is automated.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

Lol did you read the link? Last time we had one of these threads I decrypted a bunch of cyphers & just got deeper into the rabbit hole. It is definitely what it appears to be on the surface, but that may not be all.

Are pedos really going to go through the effort of communicating in cyphers via Youtube comments though? Why wouldn't they just use an encrypted messaging app or something?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if big rear end latina teen chased by lesbian loving TREX on hoverboard then hosed comes from similar attempts at algorithm gaming.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

myDad posted:

What'd you decode?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Are pedos really going to go through the effort of communicating in cyphers via Youtube comments though? Why wouldn't they just use an encrypted messaging app or something?

Beats me, but it'd be a great place to advertise

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's not some big conspiracy theory. It's just that kids like odd poo poo and people realised they could pump that poo poo out algorithmically. The problem with algorithms for this kind of thing is that they can produce strange results if no one is bothering to check on them.

I don't have a conspiracy theory, but most of this stuff requires actual rendering even if the assets get constantly reused. On top of that, a lot of this stuff is live action. The model seems to be coming up with a title that's algorithmically generated and then making something to fit that title.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Congratulations GBS, we've created a secular equivalent to the 80s Evangelical satanic backmasking scare

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Grondoth posted:

What'd you decode?

Here's the thread where I posted most of it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826184

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

myDad posted:

What did you decrypt, and how did you discover the encryption key to decrypt it?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
I blame russia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I regret to inform you that you decoded someone's weird horror youtube series, not any comments.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Okay read that thread and it's pretty obvious to me that they're attempting to beat the filters by using natural language but then shifting it by several letters.

This is not encryption, and is not an attempt at secret communication.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Beat the filter? They're non-explicit Youtube comments

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Just loving lmao at the idea that incredibly important and devastating secrets are communicated over YouTube by simple alphabetical transposition

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

There's weird poo poo on Youtube, man

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 19, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm particularly put off by the nursery rhyme videos created by cheap animation programs in india. the finger family song makes me want to puncture my ear drums

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

You realise for something as trivial as calling you a fuckwit I could encrypt that message and send it to you completely untraceably. But no, for deep conspiratorial scandals people are using simple cyphers on YouTube. Sure.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

myDad posted:

There's weird poo poo on Youtube, man

Am I saying there's a network of human traffickers operating through the comments of Youtube videos intended for children? No, not in any way.
Could there be human traffickers operating through or advertising on Youtube? Maybe :shrug:

Don't move the goalposts. Yes of course there is, but we're specifically addressing your claim that these algorithmically generated videos are for the purpose of normalising abuse or whatever the gently caress it was you said. It's just moronic. Oh and don't use encrypt or decrypt again without understanding what you're saying. It's embarrassing.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

You realise for something as trivial as calling you a fuckwit I could encrypt that message and send it to you completely untraceably. But no, for deep conspiratorial scandals people are using simple cyphers on YouTube. Sure.

What's your point? It's either a joke in poor taste or a dumb criminal

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Don't move the goalposts. Yes of course there is, but we're specifically addressing your claim that these algorithmically generated videos are for the purpose of normalising abuse or whatever the gently caress it was you said. It's just moronic. Oh and don't use encrypt or decrypt again without understanding what you're saying. It's embarrassing.

yospos bitch!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Are advertisers going to keep paying when they realize their ads are just being watched by babies? In any case it seems to me like Youtube's long-term interests are best served by paying at least a tiny little bit of attention to the quality of the content that's going onto their site.

Internet advertising is already one big Ponzi scheme with little connection to reality and zero oversight of any kind.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

myDad posted:

What's your point? It's either a joke in poor taste or a dumb criminal

I already said, it's just to generate something English-esque that evades filters. You get a combination of word/sentence lengths that don't look odd to a computer without the actual copyright infringing or alarm raising words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you're trying to take all the fun out of the thread

• Locked thread