Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Haunted Zevra, Human Shaman
Theme: Fey Ghost Beast Tamer
PP: Phrenic Master

Zevra

Zevra's mother

"I see dead people. And they loving annoy me."

“Let me sum up the last decade of my life: ten years ago, I was an apprentice Hag in a silty little shitheap called Ack’s Hole. The titular Hole in question was a tremendously deep ancient bore-well in the middle of town that could, a few times a year, be coaxed to fill a bucket on the end of the village’s only surviving hempen rope. My job, as apprentice to my mother, the town’s Senior and Ugliest Hag–“

“Don’t put it like that! Hag is a position of respect! You should be so lucky to be a hag!”

“Shut up, mom! I’m telling the story! Anyway, my job was to do the usual wise woman things; birth babies, make poultices, tell them when to lower the bucket, sit up with the dying, and lay out the unquiet dead. I can do the last one because my family line has always had the Sight, which lets us see, and unfortunately, hear, the unquiet spirits of this world. So there I am, eighteen years old, busy hagging, and looking forward to who knows how many more years of hagging, when Ack’s Hole gets attacked by elven raiders. Seems like their had been a famine, and in the time of hardship some of the clans got united by this messianic speaker-type creatively calling himself The Speaker, and he led them on a bloody anti-human crusade. That’s why Ack’s Hole didn’t just get raided and pillaged, it got massacred. They butchered everyone and left us for dead. Except me, who lived, barely. I spent I-literally-don’t-know-how-long recuperating in that dead town, surrounded by the ghosts of my people, all of them shouting in my ear, wanting me to do something, wanting to know why they died. Eventually, as the weaker spirits dwindled, their voice’s faded and bled together, except for one voice, which got stronger and stronger. And that one kept screaming--”

“Avenge me!”

“Shut up, mom! I’ve getting to that part! Anyway, let me make a long story short with one simple line; I went on A Roaring Rampage of Revenge. It took years. I taught myself elven. I killed someone them, and bound their spirits. Their ghosts told me where to find the rest. I stalked them, hunted them. Turned their own ghosts against them. I was the Speaker’s loving nightmare at night. His own men started abandoning him. And finally, about five years after the massacre, I cornered The Speaker in his cavern lair. Killed him. Slow. And that was, basically, it.”

“I told you to avenge me!”

“I already loving did, Ma! That’s the point I was making. Anyway, the Speaker’s death didn’t banish the ghost of vengeance which is literally standing over my shoulder glaring at me as we speak. It turns out, revenge is a dish that’s, well… not exactly unsatisfying, because believe me, it was satisfying, but it’s never really enough, you know? So since then, I’ve been wandering around, being a nomadic shaman and death-speaker, helping people where I can. I’ve got a list of names, and they aren’t all crossed off; I never found some of the Speaker’s lieutenants. Hunting them gives me something to do. In the meantime, I wander, and talk to the dead. I found a ghost dog – you have no idea how rare that is, dogs all died so long ago even their ghosts have mostly vanished – and befriended him.”

“Mother, daughter, and pet; it’s the creepiest family you’ll ever hope never to meet.”

quote:

How did you come to reach paragon? What are your most notable exploits?
That would be the aforementioned Roaring Rampage of Revenge.

quote:

How Daclamitus hear of you? Why did you respond to his request?
Again, I’m guessing he heard about my RRR. The Speaker’s Cull – that’s what the raiding gang was called, by the way – were a real nasty local threat. And the way in which they died… well, it started a lot of rumors. I let a lot of the weak ones flee, because fear makes a great weapon. So I guess word got around.”

“And I took him up on it, because… well. I’ve had my revenge. I'm done with that.”

“Ungrateful child! I didn’t raise you to be a quitter! Your vengeance will be quenched when I say it’s quenched!

“Shut up, ma! Don’t make me banish you again! Anyway. With THAT hanging over my head as a perpetual example, I felt like it was time to turn over a new rock; do something unquestionably good for the world. Maybe even find some sort of ancient phylactery that I can shove her ghost into. You know, put her to rest good and proper.”

quote:

What is one thing you would like to see change for the better on Athas?
”….”

“Everyone says that Athas is dying, but I don’t think people really know what that means. You can’t know, unless you have the Sight. See, when I lie down, at night, and lay on my blankets and look up into the night sky, do you know what I see? I see ghosts. Not human ghosts; fish. Serpents. Great crawling behemoths. Birds. Things I don’t even know the name for. And they’re everywhere. Literally everywhere you look. You can’t avoid them, when the sun goes down.”

“Athas is a world where the dead outnumber the living so many times over that it’s impossible to describe. And I want to flip that ratio.”

Orokos Sheet - PDF

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread