Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
gently caress YES DARK SUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Jascha the Lost, Elven Ranger PDF

I am Jascha. I am judaga--a headhunter. I am good at what I do because, if I am not, I will die. Such is this world.

I do not know if I was born in Gulg or brought there by my owners. I am told I was sold to the Dobrost clan before I could walk. I do not know my parents, nor what they traded me for. I answered to Vico, one of the huntmasters. There were other children, too. We were the lucky ones, Vico told us. We would not be slaves. He said we would be grand hunters, masters of the wastes. We would be strong, and we would put the weak in their place. We would bring our betters glory and wealth, and we, too, would be rewarded. We would be judaga.

And so we were. Those that returned from being thrown to the wastes, those that kept out of sight of the huntmasters' beasts, those that survived, we were tasked with bringing new stock to our clan. Vico reminded us that day that we were the lucky ones: we would be the ones outside the cage.

I am judaga, and I am good at what I do. I earned this brand I wear, this mark of what I've done. I have hunted men, dwarf, elf, goliath, kreen, and all manner of beasts. I brought them to my masters, because it was the only way I knew, and because it kept me outside the cage--but life is many cages, I know that now. I did this work for years, sending scores of the 'weak' to a terrible end. But one day the Dobrost's younger heir, Vojzek, dared to defy his family, his clan, his entire world. He dared the slaves to rise up and cast off their bonds, in defiance of his kin.

We were far from the city, then. He thought they could escape into the wastes and disappear. At first, only a few slaves dared to stand up and cry out. The huntmasters sent their beasts after them, but they still raged. The voices grew louder. Soon, we were surrounded by furious cries. As Vojzek and his conspirators broke open the slave pens and fought off the guards, it looked as though he could succeed... but then Tolyak appeared. The elder Dobrost son, Tolyak towered over Vojzek, and behind him marched an army of slavers. The slavers rushed forth and crashed against the sea of rebelling slaves, tearing through the masses. Bodies of rebels littered the ground, the sand soaked dark with blood.

Tolyak met Vojzek, and the brothers fought. The elder outclassed the younger in every way, and Vojzek collapsed to his knees, covered in bleeding wounds from Tolyak's barbed whips. And as the smaller dray sat helpless, Tolyak stayed his hand, refusing to kill his brother. The Dobrost clan would not end one of its own.

But Athas does not look kindly upon pity. Bloodied and beaten, the younger dray suddenly surged with strength, leaping to his feet and drawing his sword across his brother's waist. Vojzek's very image seemed to darken as he brought the sword above his head, and then across his brother's neck. And Tolyak's head flew from his shoulders, face fixed staring in horror. The head landed in the sand, facing up toward its killer. I will never forget the awful sound of Vojzek's roaring cry.

The sounds, the bodies, the violence... I was broken. I grabbed my bow and ran. I ran toward the chaos. I nocked an arrow and sent it through a slaver's neck. I drew another and sunk it into the back of one of the huntmasters' drakes. I fired until my quiver ran empty, bringing down slavers and their beasts alike. I drew my sword and cut down more men. I beat open the nearest gate and I ran away, until my legs refused to carry me. I hid in the wastes for weeks. What had I done? Why had I even done it? What would happen to me, to the slaves, and to the Dobrosts? I had no idea, and the uncertainty both terrified and thrilled me.

Eventually, I found my way back to the roads. I dared not return to Gulg, for I knew that by then the Dobrosts would have made it back to the city and reported what had happened. Did they even know what I had done? The rebellion had been pure chaos... perhaps my actions escaped notice, but I could not trust it to chance. I made my way to the village of Altaruk and arranged for travel to the city of Raam: a city is chaos is the perfect place to be lost in a crowd. Word of the slave revolt spread quickly, and yet my name never made it to anyone's lips. It seemed I was safe. But what would I do, then, with my newfound freedom? I knew I could not return to hunting the 'weak,' but my life is as a hunter... so I began to hunt the strong.

A city in chaos is the perfect place to be lost in a crowd. It was easy to begin targeting the the templars and mansabdars, as they were also targets of the rioters and rebels. In time I grew more bold, hunting nobles and others farther from the areas controlled by the rebels. The dessicated body of the lord of the arena was found outside the city gates. A few of the Offspring met a mysterious end. Word began to spread that a ghost hunted the sycophants of Abalach-Re. Soon, the strong would cower before me.

Everything changed when the news from Tyr arrived. We heard that the weak had bested the strongest of Tyr: the Sorcerer-King Kalak was dead, slain by mere mortals. It seemed the whole world shuddered with the news. The rioting in the streets reached a fever pitch, the violence spreading farther than ever before. I had never seen a city and its people so out of control. It was especially strange, then, when a man calmly approached me, wordlessly handed me a note, and disappeared into the night.

quote:

How did you come to reach paragon? What are your most notable exploits?

I spent years hunting slaves for Clan Dobrost, one of the largest slaver empires on Athas. When the slaves revolted, I... had a change of heart. Now I work to bring down other slavers and, perhaps, even the Sorcerer-Kings. My actions in the Dobrost revolt saved a great number of slaves, but it pales in comparison to the number I put in chains. Since the revolt I've raided trade routes, assassinated templars and nobles in their own cities, and freed my fair share of slaves and gladiators. Earning trust has not come easily when I carry the brand--figuratively and literally--of a slaver headhunter, but my actions have begun to speak loudly enough for some.

quote:

How Daclamitus hear of you? Why did you respond to his request?

How did he hear of me? Good question. I've tried to keep a low profile so that no one can link me to my work. Perhaps there are still some surviving slavers of the Dobrost revolt that know what I did there. Or maybe my new contacts have actually had some kind things to say about me?

Why did I respond? I suppose curiosity killed the kank. Maybe the invitation was genuine, maybe it was a trap: it wouldn't have been the first time someone set me up. If so, I figured it was best to deal with a potential enemy rather than let them kill me in my sleep later. Strangely, I couldn't find any trace of an ambush when I scouted the area. I watched a handful of others make their way to the same spot, yet none seemed to know one another and there seemed to be no coordination between them. Not an ambush party. If it wasn't an ambush, maybe it really was an invitation... so I went inside.

quote:

What is one thing you would like to see change for the better on Athas?

The death of a thousand tyrants. I am no mad king's pawn any longer, and I will stop at nothing to see them fall.

The dray. I must find him.

Some ideas for plot hooks:
- Who/where are Jascha's parents?
- Vojzek
- Did any slavers survive the Dobrost revolt? Do they know that Jascha turned?
- What happened to the Dobrost clan and their slaver empire?
- Is Vico the huntmaster still alive?
- Slaves caught by Jascha
- Old slaver contacts in Gulg
- New anti-slaver contacts in Raam

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 8, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So, I finally wrote a bio and, uh, it's kinda bigger than I wanted it to be. But I have so many ~story hooks~ that I want to work in and it's late and I dunno. Maybe I'll chop it down, but I may just leave it as-is. My submission should be complete now.

Edit: added PDF.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 23, 2017

• Locked thread