Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
One day, however it happened – by courier or by note - you received a message. It was cryptic – simply stating, “You have proven yourself well. If it should interest you, I have a task that only one of your skill and renown can complete, with a great reward awaiting you.’ The message ended with a meeting place that appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. Something about this note, despite its cryptic nature, compels you to respond and meet the author of the message. You arrive at the meeting place and are greeted…

“Greetings, honored guests! My name is Daclamitus. Please, please! Make yourselves at home. I should trust that you know why I have asked for your presence, but I am certain you all have had quite the long, treacherous journeys to reach me. Allow me to help you settle in?”

Without awaiting a response, the man putters around the simple dwelling built into the side of a small mesa, seeking refreshments for the weary travelers before him. He sets a plain wooden bowl, stocked high with various fruits, and a bowl of water on a table and gestures warmly to help themselves. Fortunately for these travelers, the man’s choice of residence provides some comfort from the fury of the sun outside. The inside of the dwelling is simply decorated, with shelving appearing to be carved into the stone walls. He has small rugs and simple wooden chairs and tables. Most remarkably, he has books. These books are a puzzling sight, considering most common folk can pass an entire lifetime without having read a written word – let alone an entire book.

The man smiles warmly and clasps his hands together. “Let us begin, shall we? We have much work to do. “I don’t believe that I need to provide any of you with a history lesson as to why this world is the way it is.” He tuts quietly, shakes his head, and slowly begins to pace. “It’s such a shame, isn’t it? Slavery, bloodsport, defiling magic, desolation, hunger. Hopelessness. All of it. Surely, you all have encountered your fair share of suffering to reach the renown you have.”

He pauses for a beat and ceases pacing. He faces his guests and meets each of their gazes. “What I have summoned you here for is no small task, by any means. It took millennia – eons, even, for the world to reach this depraved state. However, all hope is not lost. I have offered you a great reward for your assistance. Unfortunately, this reward is not monetary. As you can see,” he sweeps his hand around the room,” I have no currency, no jewels, no power to offer you. But the reward I do have for you is much greater than that. That reward is a living, breathing Athas. A world with water and grass – not silt and sand. An Athas without sorcerer-kings or slavers. Your reward will be knowing that you brought Athas back to life.”

He pauses and observes the party, then gently chuckles to himself. “It sounds preposterous, doesn’t it? Impossible, even. But I assure you It most certainly isn’t. It’s quite possible. It will not be a simple task. If it were, this would have happened centuries ago. Though, even though the world took eons to reach this state, it can be awoken much more quickly than that. I will guide you. All I ask is for your trust.”
He holds his hands out, palms up, in a gesture of openness. After a beat, he straightens his posture and draws in a breath. He appears to be determined, drawing strength from some long stored reserve of fortitude.

“We must not tarry. Our first step to waking this world from its slumber is to visit some ruins. Specifically, the temple ruins in the Black Spine Mountains. Its doors have not been open for centuries…perhaps it is time they reopened.”

------

Welcome to Athas. For those of you new to Dark Sun, here are a few basics:

• The entire world is a desert. Eons ago, Athas was thriving and lush but somewhere along the way, that changed. Even basic metal for weapons is nowhere to be seen. Nobody knows why, as written records don’t exist. The world has pockets of civilization and farmland (if you can call it that), but beyond those boundaries is a wasteland full of raiders, monsters, and who knows what else. Though, some would prefer wasteland living to being ruled in the cities by tyrant sorcerer-kings. Living in such conditions has hardened the hearts of its citizens, many of whom spend their lives in slavery.
  • Magic doesn’t work the way it does on other worlds. The planet has been scarred by the use of magic in ancient wars and reacts negatively to the casting of arcane spells. To do so requires drawing strength from the very world itself, leaving the ground barren and useless after the spell is cast. Due to this, wizards, sorcerers, and wielders of arcane magic are nearly universally reviled and persecuted. Without magic being present as we know them, psionic powers are common.
  • There are no gods. They have been silent and absent from Athas for as long as anyone can recall. Perhaps they turned their backs and followed whims incomprehensible to mere mortals, or perhaps they simply no longer exist. No clerics, paladins, or prophets exist. The only evidence that the gods were ever present is the crumbling ruins of once grand shrines. In the place of gods, people revere the primal forces of the world.
  • Familiar races aren't so familiar. For example, elves aren't wise forest guardians - they are nomadic raiders, herders, or thieves. Halflings are cannibalistic and xenophobic.

What to expect:

• A mix of roleplaying, dungeon diving, and all the creatures and enemies that come with it
  • A harsh, unforgiving world full of harsh, unforgiving people and creatures
  • This will be play by post

Character creation:
  • Starting level 11
  • 1 theme, 1 background
  • Inherent bonuses ON
  • Free feats:
    - Melee training
    - Improved defenses
    - One free expertise
  • Starting Gear: level 10/11/12 non-rare magic items + 5000gp
  • Divine characters MUST be reskinned!
    - *As above, there are no gods in Athas therefore there are no deities for you to serve
  • Apps will be accepted until 11:59pm EST on December 1st
  • Please post PDF + orokos sheets

About you:
  • How did you come to reach paragon? What are your most notable exploits?
  • How Daclamitus hear of you? Why did you respond to his request?
  • What is one thing you would like to see change for the better on Athas?

If you have any questions, ask!

Please join the discord server!
https://discord.gg/uwRpdrU

Game thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842494

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Reserved

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Thank you, everyone, for your apps! This was a really hard decision, and it honestly took me all day to choose.

The heroes to save Athas are:
UnknownQuantity - Gnarglenog, Monk
Wahad - Kayode Babatunde, Psion/Avenger
Wol - Shaiha Nilil, Artificer
Dick Burglar - Jascha the Lost, Ranger
Old Kentucky Shark - Haunted Zevra, Shaman
LogicNinja - Sathain, Battlemind

Expect the OP either late tonight or tomorrow. Let's save the world!

• Locked thread