Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Turn 29

Resolve Dividend

That strengthens the CAD, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Strengthens the Currency with the most player-held Bonds, which is CAD by 2.
Since it's not my turn, just putting this out there: Jordan, trade you 1 EUR for 2 CHF?
e2: I would also be interested in trading 1 EUR for 2 USD, more people can make that.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 28, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Strengthens the Currency with the most player-held Bonds, which is CAD by 2.
Since it's not my turn, just putting this out there: Jordan, trade you 1 EUR for 2 CHF?
e2: I would also be interested in trading 1 EUR for 2 USD, more people can make that.

You want the EUR?

I’d do that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nah, vice versa, I want to give it away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ah. In that case, pass.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
pass

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

It's your turn btw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

We were just talking, it's your turn.
E; Surely I can convince someone to get in on EUR at close to the groundfloor?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Invest JPY and USD

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

OK, so Lecher, I'll give you 1 EUR for 1.5 CHF. It's going to go up up up!
e: the terms have changed since I had been forgetting to adjust the board-state mentally.
e2: or for 1.5 USD, i'm not fussy.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 28, 2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I thought about doing EUR-CHF, but....pass.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fine!
Turn 31
Invest EUR

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Spot trade offer:

My GBP/JPY for CNY

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Known Lecher posted:

Spot trade offer:

My GBP/JPY for CNY

Would do for JPY.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Id go for either.
E2: i changed my mind, no i won't. Pass.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 29, 2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

Id go for either.
E2: i changed my mind, no i won't. Pass.

Well then. :colbert:

Turn 32

Spot trade with Jordan: 1 JPY for 2 CNY
Invest in EUR, USD

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey you know what? People are right, resolving when the queue is full feels real bad. It feels like a waste of an action, and handing initiative over to somebody else.

Regardless:

Turn 33
Resolve Contract A

All my beautiful GBP, gone.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Resolving in general unless it somehow directly benefits you (or screws someone else) feels like a wasted action regardless of whether the queue is full. But when the queue is full it feels extra wasted.

I think I saw on BGG someone house-ruled that a player who resolves when the queue is full can immediately submit a new contract, but that feels just really powerful...you're basically getting two whole actions on your turn. I'm not sure what else you can do though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Known Lecher posted:

Resolving in general unless it somehow directly benefits you (or screws someone else) feels like a wasted action regardless of whether the queue is full. But when the queue is full it feels extra wasted.

I think I saw on BGG someone house-ruled that a player who resolves when the queue is full can immediately submit a new contract, but that feels just really powerful...you're basically getting two whole actions on your turn. I'm not sure what else you can do though.

Resolving the dividend was ok even if it didn't benefit me directly. Mostly because it didn't create a new contract space.

The variant isn't too powerful, because everyone can do it, but I wonder why you would ever resolve without also submitting a new contract.

I wouldn't mind giving Tom's variant a shot. Basically a button that moves around and allows 2 actions on that turn. So it speeds it up a bit, but not completely.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Resolving the dividend was ok even if it didn't benefit me directly. Mostly because it didn't create a new contract space.

The variant isn't too powerful, because everyone can do it, but I wonder why you would ever resolve without also submitting a new contract.

I wouldn't mind giving Tom's variant a shot. Basically a button that moves around and allows 2 actions on that turn. So it speeds it up a bit, but not completely.

Yeah, with the variant I mentioned, it seems like there would be virtually no reason to resolve until the queue fills up. The button sounds like a better idea, because then you can get into additional strategy of trying to time things to happen when you've got the button, etc.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Just do what I do, drag your feet so you've got an action to do instead of resolve.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Known Lecher posted:

Yeah, with the variant I mentioned, it seems like there would be virtually no reason to resolve until the queue fills up. The button sounds like a better idea, because then you can get into additional strategy of trying to time things to happen when you've got the button, etc.

I’m trying to think of a scenario where resolving is the right choice when there’s a free contract, and the only one I can think of is to force a bankruptcy. It seems like the contract action is by far the most valuable action in the game and it’s never worth giving that up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One good thing is this game offers much more house-ruling "freedom" than others. If you come up with a fix, you're not very likely to break the game in some other ways.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dancer posted:

One good thing is this game offers much more house-ruling "freedom" than others. If you come up with a fix, you're not very likely to break the game in some other ways.

...how so? Like, can you explain that a bit further?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just do what I do, drag your feet so you've got an action to do instead of resolve.

I was thinking of doing this, but Tom seems to think that investing just for the sake of investing is a bad move. I'm testing out whether or not I agree with him. It seems like if you can't get a contract, locking your cash in for future returns is always a good move. With no ability to create a contract, there's no chance that you'll get less money than you spend, so your only alternative is to do spot trades for marginal gains. I probably should have tried to do that, but there's a balance here with pace of play too, which I think an in-person game would alleviate.

I mentioned this in the board games thread but this game goes on sale on Friday, and I want to figure out if I'm buying it or not.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

...how so? Like, can you explain that a bit further?

I was being brief because phoneposting, so it came across wrong, but it seems to me that there are so many knobs and dials you can tweak without fundamentally altering the game. If you think contracts are by far the strongest action, maybe allow investing in 3 currencies/one currency twice, to buff that action, then do the rotating "button" for resolving that was just discussed. With this game I'm less scared than I'd be with many other games that I will break its balance if I started tweaking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dancer posted:

I was being brief because phoneposting, so it came across wrong, but it seems to me that there are so many knobs and dials you can tweak without fundamentally altering the game. If you think contracts are by far the strongest action, maybe allow investing in 3 currencies/one currency twice, to buff that action, then do the rotating "button" for resolving that was just discussed. With this game I'm less scared than I'd be with many other games that I will break its balance if I started tweaking.

Oh sorry, I wasn't being disbelieving, I was asking for more info because game design theory is super interesting. Cool cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sorry guys, I slept in a fair bit.

Turn 34
Contract
Give 10 CAD for 30 JPY

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 30, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A chance to make a contract snatched away unfairly! Ah...
Turn 35
Invest GBP

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

A chance to make a contract snatched away unfairly!

:rolleyes:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dancer posted:

I think when you're tweaking a fully open luckless game, it's easier to see if your tweaks break the game in a relevant fashion as well. If the original game is a draw when played perfectly, and yours is now a win for player 3 with optimal play but whoever plays better that day in practice, that's still OK; if now nobody does anything but invest that's not.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I don't think anyone can do any spot trades I'd be interested in, so

Turn 36

Divest CAD

Yeah, that's right, I'm divesting, you loonie hoarders. :colbert:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

So now we all have a chance to divest CAD in turn order.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m keeping mine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Keep

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm actually totally okay with this, based on my new contract.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Actually, I just checked the rulebook and I'm changing my mind!~

Officially choosing to also divest

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'll divest 1.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Before I make that final, can I suggest you reconsider :v:? It seems to me that, in the case where you do ever divest CAD again, and also the case where you don't, divesting zero is strictly better than divesting one. Of course I might be missing stuff, but if you're going to be saving certs to collect CAD, you should probably save all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Divest 1

• Locked thread