Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

HERE

WE

GO

Turn 92
Resolve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You also have to choose a currency to strengthen. Between those with most held certificates (so EUR USD or CAD).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tho note that I won't be able to go through the calculations for like 8 hours or so.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Umm, none of the above?

I think eyeballing it strengthening CAD hurts me the least, so that.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I've gone through the calculations, and I think these are the final standings. I am sure I have made some mistakes at points during the game, but I can only hope they weren't severe enough to change the outcome. I was under the impression that the fight for 3rd place would be close, but I had missed that Some Numbers had several outstanding contracts that paid CAD. And Jordan had that one contract that paid a massive 30 GBP to make sure he ran away with it.

Congrats Jordan7hm on your glorious victory. We can only pray the the economies you've ruined on your path will find a way to recover.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was fun, thanks for running it Dancer, thanks for playing guys. It got me to buy the game.

A couple thoughts on the game:

I think the initial blitz strategy to overleverage and risk bankruptcy, but get bigger cash reserves early, is probably a good one. Yeah you risk throwing the game, but then it ends in 20 minutes and it's not that big a deal. I wonder how that works with a group that knows the play though.

The initial currency values largely held, with the exception of CAD - and CAD is a bit of an exception because it was an early target for investment.

Investing at every opportunity seems strong. That cert limit gives you a ton of power if you can buy up 4 of a currency - either because it gives you the ability to hold currency value as I did with GBP, or to tank currency value as I did with JPY.

Not being able to make a contract feels really loving bad. That said, maybe it wouldn't feel as bad in person when the turns are going faster. Especially once currency values are pretty locked down, resolving out and letting others make contracts that are just marginal value swaps isn't actually all that bad. When you finally do get a contract, you might end up with a better picture of the game to make the best contract possible, which is what ended up happening with that JPY>CAD contract.

Squishy would probably have won if the game had ended in the middle and he could have forced bankruptcy. We all did a lot of spot trades that kept people out of trouble.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, bankruptcy is not a huge threat. Unless the next player would win, they will (or they should) do all they can to bail you out, like spots or even divesting bonds.
I think I made a mistake in letting CAD get stronger when I wasn't the leading partner. It got 3 of the 5 Divest bumps? Anyway, I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure it's perfectly designed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe. I’m playing another game where I’m going bankrupt before the second resolve.

Which is for the best given how slow the game is.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm curious why bankruptcy has to end the game instead of eliminating the player. It's not so long as 1830, leaving a player bored, and making the second-place player hurt themselves to help the third-place player etc. is unfun.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That's a good suggestion. I had an alright time with the game despite making some strategic errors (as reflected in my score). To me it feels like a game that's still in playtesting - it feels like there's some rough edges to be filed off, bankruptcy being one. I think the house rule that a person doing the resolve action can immediately place a contract if there's an open slot is a good one. Otherwise taking resolve in the early-mid game just feels so lame as long as there's other actions available to be taken, especially since you're usually handing an open contract slot to the person behind you. I often found myself reaching around for other actions to do just because I didn't want to "waste" a turn resolving someone else's contract for them, and I kind of screwed Jordan for a while as a result.

If bankruptcy didn't end the game, there would be the question of what to do with that player's certificates in other currencies (other than the one they bankrupted in). Would those immediately get liquidated as part of the bankruptcy? Would the bank seize them and put them back on the market? Would they just go away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My gut feeling says instant divestment. And people get to react to it. Though this might be problematic, since that might lock one or two currencies out of the game. Still worth a try.
As for resolve, I prefer the token, where if you resolve while holding I, you get another turn and pass it against player order.

• Locked thread