Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
not only on the internet but even the nerds i work with dont seem to care, its kinda scaring me a little

did the obsession with superhero movies end and i missed it? was the movie so good/bad that disney/wb is somehow suppressing discussion or was it such a predictably mixed bag that no one has anything to say that hasnt been said in the hype?

will someone please tell me how to feel about this presumably hollow merchandising vehicle? even just to say that comic book movies are only for dumb children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Apparently it was really rude in the way it presented wonder woman and the amazons.

I must see it

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
whoa see this is the kind of hot take im missing cause im struggling to see how that could possibly be true

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m surprised comics haven’t moved up to ultraheros after all these years. Just stuck at super.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I’m surprised comics haven’t moved up to ultraheros after all these years. Just stuck at super.

They have to go through mega first

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

not only on the internet but even the nerds i work with dont seem to care, its kinda scaring me a little

did the obsession with superhero movies end and i missed it? was the movie so good/bad that disney/wb is somehow suppressing discussion or was it such a predictably mixed bag that no one has anything to say that hasnt been said in the hype?

will someone please tell me how to feel about this presumably hollow merchandising vehicle? even just to say that comic book movies are only for dumb children?

the joss whedon reshoots hurt my interest, and i'm probably more into comics than most. not because i thought b v s or m o s were great, but because i thought they were at least making earnest attempts to do something distinctive and falling short rather than just trying to make bland films. suicide squad loving sucked from every angle and had nothing redeeming.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
DC comics just sucks poo poo and always has. Always will.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Harrower posted:

i think only someone who doesn't like comics at all would say this. that's certainly defensible, but singling out dc seems inappropriate.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Harrower posted:

i like the bat man and that woman who casts magic by talking backwards

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Neurosis posted:

i think only someone who doesn't like comics at all would say this. that's certainly defensible, but singling out dc seems inappropriate.

The only DC character I can think of that isn't boring and terrible is batman. Not like I'm some huge comic nerd with extensive encyclopedic knowledge. Marvel stuff is just far more appealing.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
When is the Sandman movie coming out?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

wonder woman is cute 😍

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

myDad posted:

i hope its made by the team who did the dark tower

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Assuming the opening statement is true, which I dunno, it might be the movie is tainted by all the production problems, 2 directors, etc. I saw it and it was fine if you are into that kind of stuff, but also felt incomplete and failing to live up to it's potential.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was insufficiently marxist

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

i hope its made by the team who did the dark tower

I heard that movie flopped

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Some outlets decided not to talk about the movie for as long as possible. Not only did Warner hold a press embargo on press reviews until 2:50am Wednesday morning but Rotten Tomatoes held back their 'freshness' score until 12:01am Thursday morning. Their excuse was "We're making an event out of the reveal!" but the internet went "Nah they're getting a lovely score and you're trying to cover it up as long as possible for them."

Turns out it's Rotten Tomato score is only 39%. Wonder Woman got 92%.

Apparently Rotten Tomato scores are super super important these days??

myDad posted:

It came out a few weeks ago!!!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7369722/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well three of the four DC movies made in the last 5 years sucked on toast and the fourth was just 'ok', so at this point you have be kind of stupid to get excited.

I hear it's mostly just boring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's very boring

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

[quote="Snowglobe of Doom" post=""47"]Apparently Rotten Tomato scores are super super important these days??
[/quote]
They are! And as someone who has followed that site since 2004 and realized how bullshit it mostly is, it's loving surreal to see commercials advertising a 'fresh' rating and having everyone take it somewhat seriously.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Lol, there's been a script written & rewritten since the 90s that would be ripe for a mini on HBO

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

They are! And as someone who has followed that site since 2004 and realized how bullshit it mostly is, it's loving surreal to see commercials advertising a 'fresh' rating and having everyone take it somewhat seriously.

I think it's honestly for people who would go to the theater without an idea in mind what to see. Someone who truly does not care and just wants to see images in their face for two hours that isn't offensive in anyway.

Oh, justice league has a bad rating? Oh well look, daddy's home 2 is a little bit higher. Lets go see that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

The 'freshness' score quite often gets posted on the cover of DVDs these days, it's crazy.

myDad posted:

Lol, there's been a script written & rewritten since the 90s that would be ripe for a mini on HBO

Neil Gaiman tells a story about how one of the old scripts completely misunderstood the comic and tried to turn it into a superhero story and had an ending where Morpheus has a super powered fist fight with Lucifer.

Also Joseph Gordon-Levitt was super super passionate about doing a really faithful movie adaptation and was pretty much producing it himself until the film rights passed to a different company and they went "Nah we don't like where JGL's going with this" so he had to walk away from it. :smith:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Joseph Gordon-Levitt was super super passionate about doing a really faithful movie adaptation and was pretty much producing it himself until the film rights passed to a different company and they went "Nah we don't like where JGL's going with this" so he had to walk away from it. :smith:

cripes

I'll just re-read it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, justice league has a bad rating? Oh well look, daddy's home 2 is a little bit higher. Lets go see that

Daddy's Home 2 rightfully has a much worse RT score but it would have been hilarious if it beat Justice League.

But the terrible Daredevil movie (also starring Ben Affleck) has a higher RT score than Justice League, that's pretty funny. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

myDad posted:

cripes

I'll just re-read it
I wouldn't hold out hope for a good Sandman series. All the best stories are essentially an anthology show, the meta-arc lacks momentum and urgency, Morpheus is intentionally a reserved and unengaging character, and a lot of what made the show edgy (LGBT late 80s/early 90s alternative culture) are really dated.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Well three of the four DC movies made in the last 5 years sucked on toast and the fourth was just 'ok', so at this point you have be kind of stupid to get excited.

I hear it's mostly just boring.

Do you get a bonar thinking about Batman talking to Wonder Woman? If not you are not really the target audience.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I wouldn't hold out hope for a good Sandman series. All the best stories are essentially an anthology show, the meta-arc lacks momentum and urgency, Morpheus is intentionally a reserved and unengaging character, and a lot of what made the show edgy (LGBT late 80s/early 90s alternative culture) are really dated.

Sandman faithfully adapted would still be edgy.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
huh i didnt think justice league was that bad, it was goofy but pretty fun. bad cgi tho

it was a big improvement over bvs at least

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

doverhog posted:

just pay gaiman a shitload to write a new story in the universe imo

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

doverhog posted:

Harvey Weinstein's at the premier of his latest production, A Real Star. He gets his popcorn and settles comfortably in the plush seat of his executive box. The lights fade and title card lights upon the screen. Suddenly, footage of him masturbating flashes across his eyes! The theater's crowd roars in laughter and turns to look up at him; his wife turns, teeth a shine & tongue spilling out,

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
DC - Nolan = who gives a capital gently caress

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
i didnt think it was coming out for another year or two sorry

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Superhero movies are all low stakes garbage for children. Watchmen was alright I guess.

Woden
May 6, 2006

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

huh i didnt think justice league was that bad, it was goofy but pretty fun. bad cgi tho

it was a big improvement over bvs at least

Yeah, the thing is there really isn't anything interesting to talk about. It's like eating at McDonalds, there's literally no interesting conversations to be had about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Supreme Allah posted:

DC - Nolan = who gives a capital gently caress

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises sold way way way more tickets than Batman v Superman, that must be horribly embarrassing for everyone involved in BvS. Looks like Justice League will also fall way short.

If you adjust for inflation then the 1989 Michael Keaton Batman film and its first two sequels also did way better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The "interesting" conversation is about the failure of the DC movies, and how this one is the culmination of that. Gal Gadot is really hot tho so it's not a complete failure. :11tea:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Harrower posted:

The only DC character I can think of that isn't boring and terrible is batman. Not like I'm some huge comic nerd with extensive encyclopedic knowledge. Marvel stuff is just far more appealing.

dc has a different feel - the heroes are by and large viewed more optimistically, the world itself is much less grounded than marvel's, and most of the big characters are way above street level. so it's not as accessible as marvel. there are some good dc comics written over the last 80 odd years though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm a huge Superman defender, but DC as a company has been so bad for so long that there's not much point. You can watch their animated Warner Bros. series from the 90s and pretty much get everything good they ever did - especially Justice League Unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Woden posted:

Yeah, the thing is there really isn't anything interesting to talk about. It's like eating at McDonalds, there's literally no interesting conversations to be had about it.

I like to eat a hamburger sandwich.

• Locked thread