Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Swamp Fancy posted:

They we're boring and uninteresting, x-men and avengers did it better.

x-men yes, avengers no.

Also sony should just stop making films,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Neil Gaiman tells a story about how one of the old scripts completely misunderstood the comic and tried to turn it into a superhero story and had an ending where Morpheus has a super powered fist fight with Lucifer.

I love that Neil Gaiman turbonerds tell this story and make it sound bad, when a superpowered fistfight with the devil would actually be cool and good, and better than mopey goth gods quoting shakespeare at each other for two hours.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pound_Coin posted:

They were pretty close to just stopping earlier this year, if Emoji Movie and Spider-Man: Homecoming hadn't done well their film division probably would have folded.

They've been struggling for a long time:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Makes sense... Sony is the company who tends to spearhead new formats, and GB is the shining jewel of their catalogue.

Yeah if you adjust for inflation then Sony/Columbia's top film is Ghostbusters with the '02 Spider-Man fairly close behind. Then comes Spider-Man 2 , Tootsie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Lawrence of Arabia way behind them and then somewhat further back comes Men in Black and The Bridge on the River Kwai. Apart from the first two Raimi Spider-Man films their recent track record has been fuckin' woeful, and by 'recent' I mean "since the 70s and 80s".

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I love that Neil Gaiman turbonerds tell this story and make it sound bad, when a superpowered fistfight with the devil would actually be cool and good, and better than mopey goth gods quoting shakespeare at each other for two hours.

It's about what you want, right, and how it's executed. A fistfight with the devil could be cool, but it could also be another lame CGI fest. Justice League has a finale of fist fighting, where surprise motherfucker, Superman punches the bad guy and they win. It was the worst part of the movie.

Sandman is not about fistfights, if you wanna make a movie about that go ahead but please don't call it Sandman.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who decided to have joss whedon and zach snyder direct different parts of the movie because holy lol talk about two directors with completely different styles

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They should make an adult themed spin off and call it "Bust-ice League" imo. Guaranteed huge explosions

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Blast of Confetti posted:

who decided to have joss whedon and zach snyder direct different parts of the movie because holy lol talk about two directors with completely different styles

Snyder quit the film after his daughter killed herself, for unknown reasons. True story.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Labes for days posted:

My husband went to see it and about the highest praise he could give was "it was fun" and "well it wasn't as bad as BvS." We are both big comic nerds and I was always a DC fan, but their movies have sucked poo poo for quite a while and Marvel has put out way more interesting stuff.

They do seem to do much better with animated stuff even now. Justice League: Gods and Monsters is totally worth watching.

i genuinely pity this person because they're married to a DC cinematic universe apologist.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MAKE COMIC BOOKS FUNNY AGAIN! :catstare:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

saying that a movie is better than basically the worst movie ever isn't a way of saying it's good. lmao

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

"it wasnt that bad" is about as good as you can get with DC so good job executives you're barely acceptable

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone who writes a story about Superman becoming a tyrant 1. doesn't get Superman and 2. is very stupid.

Actually the Injustice comics are extremely good and fun (for at least the first 2 seasons)

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I watched in in 4DX, with the moving chairs and the wind blowers and the water spritzers and the actuators that punch you in the back when something exciting happens and the GOD DAMNED AIR JETS ON EITHER SIDE OF YOUR HEAD THAT GO OFF EVERY TIME A BULLET WHIZZES PAST A CHARACTER

it was the absolute worst movie-going experience I have ever had, and if I hadn't been on a date I would have walked out and demanded my money back.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Sandman is not about fistfights, if you wanna make a movie about that go ahead but please don't call it Sandman.
A boy with a rare condition that toughens skin and increases bone mass escapes the mockery and scorn of his peers by taking up boxing at a local gym. There, he learns not only how to defend himself, but also about discipline, sacrifice, and the morality of violence. He goes on to become a world-class boxer popularly known as the "Sandman" for his uncanny ability to end every fight with a knock-out. As his winning record grows, so do the envy and fear of his fellow boxers, culminating in an attempt against his life. While the hit fails, the fact that the "Sandman" was shot in the face yet the bullet failed to break his skin is perversely used as justification to not only disqualify him from further competition, but to strip him of all past accolades. Again ostracized as a "freak," and in deep debt from his legal defense, the "Sandman" spends his last dollars on a KFC Nashville Hot Chicken and contemplates death.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone who writes a story about Superman becoming a tyrant 1. doesn't get Superman and 2. is very stupid.

The only interesting thing to talk about with a being with unlimited everything is what if they abused their powers

Sorry but the concept for your favorite superhero is just dumb as all hell

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast of Confetti posted:

Hey you can sit there bitching about it or you can make a fun drinking game out of it, your decision.

Drink every time the scene is suddenly directed by a different person!

Codependent Poster posted:

There's already some of this out there!

Violator posted:

From the DCEU reddit. This is a cherry picked comparison obviously, but someone pointed out that they didn't include Bruce's widow's peak in the reshoots and now I can't unsee it.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

They should make a movie that ends with superman flying to the Cayman Islands and taking all the tax shelter money (conveniently kept in a big solo) and using it to pay for hospitals/infrastructure/poor people/whatever

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pebergehund posted:

They should make a movie that ends with superman flying to the Cayman Islands and taking all the tax shelter money (conveniently kept in a big solo) and using it to pay for hospitals/infrastructure/poor people/whatever

this is objectivist superman, so he would take that money for himself even though he doesn't need money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

The only interesting thing to talk about with a being with unlimited everything is what if they abused their powers

Sorry but the concept for your favorite superhero is just dumb as all hell

nah a person who has absolute power and isn't corrupted by it because he was raised by good people and sees the basic goodness in humanity is a good concept. especially since everything else is so dour and grimdark.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
I kind of weirdly like Snyder's man of steel. but i don't like any of the other movies in this reboot of a reboot of a reboot of a comic book franchise.

Super Waffle posted:

I watched in in 4DX, with the moving chairs and the wind blowers and the water spritzers and the actuators that punch you in the back when something exciting happens and the GOD DAMNED AIR JETS ON EITHER SIDE OF YOUR HEAD THAT GO OFF EVERY TIME A BULLET WHIZZES PAST A CHARACTER

it was the absolute worst movie-going experience I have ever had, and if I hadn't been on a date I would have walked out and demanded my money back.
rofl I almost saw blade runner 2049 in one of these theatres. blade runner 2049!!! i only pulled up through incessant googling of these bizarre acronyms that don't make any sense to me and must have sprung up in the 1 or 2 yrs since i last went to a big box threatre? our commercial mass entertainment complex is trying to lobotomize everyone I swear.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, but that is exactly why Superman should take over. He knows the politicians are corrupt and destroying the world. It is his moral duty as a good person to take over. Most of us have the excuse of not being able to affect change. He does not have that excuse.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
post screenshots of fat ben affleck in the batman suit

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

did the obsession with superhero movies end and i missed it?

No people just figured out DC movies are completely incompetent.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Batman is now a bleary eyed drunk who won't shut up about Boston area sports teams.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

They should make an adult themed spin off and call it "Bust-ice League" imo. Guaranteed huge explosions
Just-rear end League.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

XXX men

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hey you can sit there bitching about it or you can make a fun drinking game out of it, your decision.

Drink every time the scene is suddenly directed by a different person!

I like that Bruce is noticeably puffier in the reshoots since Affleck dropped the diet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kainser posted:

I like that Bruce is noticeably puffier in the reshoots since Affleck dropped the diet.

I think those are from the same scene. It must feel like he's constantly inflating and deflating between shots.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Everyone went to see Blade of the immortal instead and made kching and swoosh katana noises all day, just kicking overcardboard signs and peeing on house plants & similar activities

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I said this in the Redlettermedia thread, but the DC movies should all be period pieces that take place in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Either that, or make the entire DC Movie Universe into a weird deiselpunk alternate universe where everything is all retro and Art Deco. Like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, or something. Also make everything way more colorful and vibrant and stylized.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hell Yeah posted:

i genuinely pity this person because they're married to a DC cinematic universe apologist.

I don't need your pity. I might if he didn't agree that Suicide Squad sucked, but thankfully this is not the case.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah a person who has absolute power and isn't corrupted by it because he was raised by good people and sees the basic goodness in humanity is a good concept. especially since everything else is so dour and grimdark.

IMO the interesting take on this kind of story is like what's done in Incorruptible, where the main character is a career villain who realizes whoa, poo poo is so hosed up, nobody's doing anything to make it better, I guess I have to stop doing this villain poo poo and try to make the world better and safer. I love the Christopher Reeve era Superman type stories, but they're pretty thoroughly explored and I can't blame people for wanting to see a fresh direction, but "powerful guy does lovely things" isn't really fresh either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pound_Coin posted:

x-men yes, avengers no.

Imagine being so hosed up in the head you think Justice League was better than Avengers.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this is objectivist superman, so he would take that money for himself even though he doesn't need money.

Yeah, you would think he had enough money from demanding payment from all the people he save

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Harrower posted:

DC comics just sucks poo poo and always has. Always will.

:agreed:

Marvel rules and DC drools :smuggo:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Blue Star posted:

I said this in the Redlettermedia thread, but the DC movies should all be period pieces that take place in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Either that, or make the entire DC Movie Universe into a weird deiselpunk alternate universe where everything is all retro and Art Deco. Like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, or something. Also make everything way more colorful and vibrant and stylized.

Oh so you want to REALLY kill the franchise

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kuato posted:

:agreed:

Marvel rules and DC drools :smuggo:

Yet another loving STUPID post by your neighbor idiot KUATO

loving idiot I bet you thought World War Hulk was a good idea, loving idiot! I’ll wrestle you, set the date and time and I’ll loving wreck your feet! And when I’m done you’re gonna kiss MY feet, idiot!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey you two, get a room! a room in the house where you live in married bliss, that is.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Thor Ragnarok has already made $750 million so people aren't tired of superhero movies. The difference is Justice League is a confused mess while Taika Watiti knew exactly what kind of movie he wanted to make and Marvel let him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm a huge Superman defender, but DC as a company has been so bad for so long that there's not much point. You can watch their animated Warner Bros. series from the 90s and pretty much get everything good they ever did - especially Justice League Unlimited.

It was pretty good about seven years back, when Geoff Johns was basically running the show (still is, I think) and they were doing stuff like Blackest Night and Flashpoint.

Apparently the New 52 polarized everybody, but it's not like Marvel hasn't been doing similarly dumb poo poo with their Captain America titles.

I've never liked Marvel's universe as much as DC -- the continuity in DC is impressive, byzantine and the best part.

• Locked thread