Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Oh, don't be so pathetic, you guys. We finally have the opportunity to be cruel and evil, and you all start moaning about it.
Take advantage of the situation, and relish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
What do you mean with finally? A poo poo-ton of WRPGs offers that option.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Oh I am not saying we shouldn't keep playing. We should in fact aim to be the Bleakest bleak walker to ever walk :v:

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I think people are thinking more along the lines of Baulder's Gate+Bioware "evil", wherein it's basically "I'll do it, FOR A PRICE" and that apparently means you're a bad guy?

Versus this one is a little more like Planescape: Torment, where being evil is mentally abusing strangers, and some people aren't comfortable with slightly more realistic portrayals of evil. Kicking puppies is one thing, but some things just hit a little closer to home.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Crystalgate posted:

What do you mean with finally? A poo poo-ton of WRPGs offers that option.

No, plenty of western RPGs offer you a chance to be a ridiculous overblown caricature of a saturday morning cartoon villain. Very few offer the chance be a realistically evil bastard.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bleak Walk all over this weak world.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Speaking of which, why didn't we kick the puppy when we had the chance?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Charlett posted:

I think people are thinking more along the lines of Baulder's Gate+Bioware "evil", wherein it's basically "I'll do it, FOR A PRICE" and that apparently means you're a bad guy?

Versus this one is a little more like Planescape: Torment, where being evil is mentally abusing strangers, and some people aren't comfortable with slightly more realistic portrayals of evil. Kicking puppies is one thing, but some things just hit a little closer to home.

What? I'm not sure what Bioware games you play but in every single Bioware game I've played the evil option is mostly just being evil for no reason.

Shouting insults at random villagers is not that different to other games, but the tone and setting in Pillars is more of being just an otherwise average person who's an enormous dickhead rather than a goofy cackling aspiring Sith Lord for example.

I enjoy it and hope it continues :unsmigghh:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Charlett posted:

If you've seen enough actual evil in your lifetime, seeing it rehashed in any form just makes you sick. Never mind me, though, I'll, just quit this LP. :)

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I'm just kinda glancing at the comments because I don't want to spoil the game before I play it but holyshit at the number of triggered pansies in this forum

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Stroth posted:

No, plenty of western RPGs offer you a chance to be a ridiculous overblown caricature of a saturday morning cartoon villain. Very few offer the chance be a realistically evil bastard.
Overblown and unrealistic doesn't contradict cruel and evil, but I see your point. It's likely that was what was meant.

Anyway, it's becoming very obvious that regardless of what AnEndcat chooses, a lot of people will be unhappy here.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'm gonna echo that I'd rather we not act like a huge, abusive dickhead. At all preferably.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

mcclay posted:

I'm gonna echo that I'd rather we not act like a huge, abusive dickhead. At all preferably.

Sadly bleak walkers get penalties for acting nice and bonuses for picking the kick puppies option.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine the paladin orders that would have come into play there were paladin orders that weren't total bastards?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm down for an evil playthrough. I'm in the camp where I have a hard time not doing the good route (usually cause they give better rewards) so I'm curious if this game will follow that trend or actually be equal in the money/XP/magic handouts

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This has gone to a strange place.

I suppose it's heartening that the majority of goonkind are actually big ol' softies. Dicks, but not assholes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Bleak Walkers don't consider themselves evil. They think cruelly is a moral imperative.
You see, war is horrible and cannot be made nice. Trying to make it nice is just going to drag it out and get even more people hurt.
So be as vicious and cruel as possible. Make war so horrible nobody wants anything to do with it. Have them surrender before the fighting starts, or even better find some other way to resolve their disputes.

Sure this sucks for the people you are torturing and murdering right now, but overall this is to reduce total suffering!

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 11, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stroth posted:

Tyranny does evil very well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And please don't come in just to flounce out, if you don't like the LP you don't need to follow it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The Bleak Walkers don't consider themselves evil. They think cruelly is a moral imperative.
You see, war is horrible and cannot be made nice. Trying to make it nice is just going to drag it out and get even more people hurt.
So be as vicious and cruel as possible. Make war so horrible nobody wants anything to do with it. Have them surrender before the fighting starts, or even better find some other way to resolve their disputes.

Sure this sucks for the people you are torturing and murdering right now, but overall this is to reduce total suffering!
Yeah but so far it's just going around, in non-war, and being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Honestly being cruel in this game has nothing on Planescape: Torment. Nothing quite like reading dialogue of your trusted companions physically and emotionally collapsing when you utterly betray their trust for some extra jink.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

I'll be continuing the Bleak Walker path but just not taking some of the 'be a dick for the sake of it' options; there's plenty of more sensible opportunities for Cruel and Aggressive dialogue options without insulting an expectant mother out of nowhere, and plenty of opportunities for Bleak Walker ruthlessness besides. This'll probably end up managing to please no-one but we'll see how it goes!

Glazius posted:

I imagine the paladin orders that would have come into play there were paladin orders that weren't total bastards?
The Kind Wayfarers option is an immediate offer to help, while the Goldpact option shuts her down by saying that you aren't a charity. So, yes and 'eh'.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Part 8: Fulvano's Travels

So, before we leave the village and help Aufra, we haven't had a chance yet to really get to know our new Fighter. He's got more to say than Aloth did.

: "What is it you want to ask this Watcher in Caed Nua?"
: "Just some things about the past. About the war."
: "I'd been thinking I missed my chance to find out what I wanted to know. That old Watcher, though, he opens up some new possibilities."
: "I want to ask something about you."

: "What did you do before this?"
: "Oh, other than the war, I never strayed too far from where you found me. Farming, mostly. I was never much for cities, never learned a trade."
: "My younger days, I thought I was gonna go preach the word of Eothas. Just in our temple there. My parents encouraged it. I made so much trouble for them growing up, they used to say it'd be best if I got in good with the god of redemption."
: "'Course us blowing him up probably didn't help my chances there. But if anybody'd forgive you for blowing him up, it'd be Eothas."
: "Did the people of Gilded Vale really try to kill you?"
: "They, uh, heh, they did. Was strange timing, 'cause we'd just won the war. They celebrated when I came home. There was music and dancing. Trumbel used half his grain making this big honey cake. I still dream about that cake. Like having the best lover of your life but only for one night. And they were all sorry to hear about my brother."
: "Took a while for word of the Purges to reach us. Eothasians being murdered in the streets. Cold Morn and the like. No way would they let something like that happen in Gilded Vale. That's what they all said."
: "But the weeks went by and the Purges spread. Pretty soon they weren't so sure my brother fought for Dyrwood. Then they weren't so sure I did."

: "Really?"
: Edér shrugs. "Nah, not that last part. But you had to think about it. Says a lot about the place I've been calling home all these years."
: "Why did you stay for so long in a town that hated you?"
: "I'm sure my parents are still wondering the same thing. The Eothasian Purges were like this madness had come over the town, like a disease."
: "Seems like when you see something like that, your instinct is to wait for it to pass, even when you know it probably won't."
: Edér pauses a moment, lost in thought. "The family whose farm I worked on, they had a little Hollowborn girl. When they heard the animancers had this cure - the Salvation, it was called - they went running."

Not an expert on soul science or whatever, but that seems like a bad idea from that start.

: "Anyway, these farmers put their family dog's soul in their little girl. For a while the girl, she's making eye contact, she's feeding herself, albeit in a kind of messy way. Then one day she snaps. They found her gnawing on her brother's bones. Had to chain her up, put her in a cow pen."

Really, really bad.

: "The mother, she wouldn't have anything to do with the girl after that. But the father, he'd visit every day. Feed her chickens. Toss water on her once in a while to get the dirt off. Most of the village, they'd whisper about him. 'Poor man,' they'd say. 'Sick with grief.'"
: He shakes his head, and his eyes narrow, contemplative. "He was just waiting for his daughter to look up one day and recognize her papa. He was waiting for her to get better. Didn't understand that at the time, of course. But these days I think about him a lot."
: "Do you have any family?"
: "Just my parents now. They took a ship back to Aedyr when the Purges started. Wanted me to go with 'em but I didn't see things like they did."
: "Been a long time since I've seen them. I really should visit, but for some reason I haven't much felt like leaving home. Good thing they chased me out or I might've never left."

We're still here, Edér. You can see the tree through Aufra's window.

: "I was wondering about Eothas."

: "What is there to know about Eothas?
: "If you're looking to find religion, maybe you wanna start with a god that hasn't been burned to dust, but I won't stop you."
: "Eothas, he was a young man with a silver crown, carried a candle around with him." He utters an amused grunt. "Sounds like I'm giving a bad eulogy here."
: "He was... well he was a lot of different things to different people, I guess. Rebirth, redemption. Light. Out in the country, he's Gaun, the farmer, who helps all things pass, seasons and people both."
: "He watches over the weak, does Gaun. Sees imbalances made right. You could see why all the copperless rowdies around here might take a liking to someone like that. He was real popular here for a time."
: "These days you won't find too many worshiping Eothas in the open. It's hard to know who still does it in private and who's given up. Feels like I'm the last one sometimes." He smirks. "If that's the case he deserves all the mourning."
: "Do you still worship Eothas?"
: "In my way. I don't suppose he expects me to show up at his temple these days. Not much left to do for him other than keep his memory alive and keep hoping that he's just been playing a joke on all of us these past... fifteen years."

Godhammer sounds like something that should be airbrushed on the side of a van rather than a bomb.

: "Why worship him, then?"
: He grimaces. "Well, if it turns out he's NOT dead, and I gave up on him, I'd have betrayed my god twice. Even the god of redemption's gotta have standards. I'd probably be reborn as a fat aumaua's horse."
: "That's not really it, though - not all of it, anyway." He casts a sidelong glance. "Guess it's more I still believe in the things he believed in. I just hope his death doesn't mean the death of those things as well. Sometimes it looks that way."
: "Why did you choose to worship Eothas in the beginning?"
: "Raised that way. My family's been Eothasian going way back. Suppose it wasn't much of a choice at first. Don't know for sure why my family started worshiping him. Probably because of Gaun looking after folks like us."

: "Did you only worship him because that's how you were raised?"
: He shakes his head. "Hm mm. There was something I genuinely liked about Eothas. Always. Like he understood people better than the other gods. Knew all our flaws and weaknesses and accepted us for that."
: "Folks are at their worst when they're afraid. A god like Eothas, he made you realize there was nothing to fear. Made you a better person."

: "What made you think Waidwen didn't speak for Eothas?"
: "Was his actions. Not when he started his rebellion and not even when he took over Readceras. Was when he sent his armies into Dyrwood."
: "Up to that point he was sticking up for his people. That's what Eothas does, least the Gaun part of him. Those farmers were starving and their government didn't lift a finger. I figured if it wasn't Eothas himself, at least he had the right idea."
: "But then he sent armies across the border. Even crossed it himself in the end. Word was, he was chasing refugees that escaped the rebellion. Wanted to punish them, and punish us for allowing them to live here. That- that just didn't fit for me. Those are the deeds of a vengeful god. Skaen, or- or Woedica maybe."

Woedica's a new name; the 'Exiled Queen', the former leader of the gods till the rest of them got sick of her poo poo. She's the goddess of law, justice, and vengeance.

: "Or just a man who'd lost his sense. I still have trouble believing it. But there's no one left to ask if it's true."

Feels like we're prodding an open wound, but hey, there's only one thing we have left to ask.

: "Tell me about the Purges."
: Edér looks at you as though he's looking directly into the sun. "You sure you don't wanna talk about something more pleasant, like the War of Black Trees or the Legacy or something?"

: "It does something to you, thinking you're gonna die at someone else's hands. There's a rage that comes. Indignation. Imagine a whole country full of that."
: "Might've been Cold Morn that started it. Town near the border. They let Waidwen march right on through. Rest of Dyrwood cursed their names till the end of the war."
: "Some say it was the Eothasians there that persuaded the town not to oppose the army. Others said it was just cowardice."
: "It was like the Legacy that way - no one knew the real reason, so they just picked whichever one best suited what they wanted to believe."
: "Either way that town was burning before the first ashes of Eothas hit the ground. And it felt good to the people here, to be in control after being so helpless. So the fires spread. A lot of us Eothasians went the way of our god."
: "There were claims from the church of Magran that she'd actually commanded the Purges. I found that hard to believe. Sounded to me like people doing what they wanted, wrapping their god around it like she was a cloak. Then again, that's what I thought about Waidwen."

On that bitter note, we've exhausted his current conversation options. We'll find out exactly what he wants from travelling with us when we meet the Watcher at Caed Nua. Still plenty of things to wrap up before then, I'm afraid.

But we'll at least leave the Vale soon, I promise. Just one more errand to pick up in the local smithy. It looks like it's owned by someone going through rough times.

: "Is this your shop?"
: "That it is. Been here near on twenty years, now. Seen all manner of things, over the years. Good luck and bad." Tuatanu glances at the guard standing watch along the wall. "But the Black Hammer Smithery remains."
: "What do you have here?"
: "You come to us at a strange time, I'm afraid. The stock's not what it used to be. But we've fine weapons and armor to offer yet. All forged right here at the Black Hammer."
: "What happened?"
: "We just don't have the supplies. Been expecting the next delivery for near on a week, now, and haven't seen a sign of it. Have to expect they were hit by bandits. The road out east is crawling with them. Or my workers ran off with the wagon themselves, maybe, to make some coin." Tuatanu snorts. "As if that lot would dare."

: Tuatanu scratches his jaw, thinking. "If you happen to be headed that way, maybe you could keep an eye out for a supply wagon. Or my shipment, at least. They'd be cutting through the Black Meadow, I expect. Only good road for it."

: "Where was the wagon traveling from?"
: "We send the wagon up to New Heomar with weapons, and it swings round through Loghome and the like to purchase supplies. Shortest route back is through the Black Meadow, and then north through the wilds." Tuatanu shakes his head. "Had a trader come through with word they'd made it to Loghome, but haven't heard a thing since."

New Heomar isn't a town we'll be visiting in Pillars- it's a port on the northern side of the Dyrwood, in the direction where Odema's caravan came from.

: "I'll find your supplies."

But we'll expect a-

: Tuatanu nods. "Then you have my thanks. You bring those supplies back and I'll have plenty more to offer you. A discount, to start."

Ah, yeah. That.

: "Oh - and if you find my workers, tell them to hurry it up or they can take up farming instead."

Anyway. With nothing else left to do, we take the south exit of the Vale; we can't head to the Compass or the Black Meadow without heading through a place called Magran's Fork first, so that's where we go.

Music: The Free Palatine of the Dyrwood

Name makes sense. Here's the fork in the road; the statue is of the Goddess Magran. Homeless man calling for us I got nothing for, though.

: The next comparison, possibly sparked by his grin, is that of a bear trap... and then out of nowhere, there is the hint of alchemical fire... that fades almost as soon as you identify the smell.

: "The others are welcome, but it's best if just you and I trade words, and your shadows stay quiet, hands off their weapons - both arcane and steel." His face tenses with his iron bear trap smile, ready to spring. "It's only you I want to trade words with anyway."

Not sure insulting a goddess next to her statue while it's currently on fire is the greatest of moves, but you do you.

: "Strange choice of company. Stone seems cold comfort."
: The man smiles slightly at your words... then nods, never taking his eyes off you. "I could do better. Though the road holds little... else." His eyes run the length of your frame, and he follows it with a sneer. "Until now."
: "The world holds many whores we worship. Respect comes with honest titles. I'll bet even you have gone against instinct in exchange for a little copper... or paid for such, in countless ways."

I didn't know it was going to be only 20 copper.

: "But if I give offense..." The man's face cracks a smile with teeth, almost a dare. "If words are all that are left to a man - then why, in the Dyrwood of all places, he should have leave to speak them."

: [Examine the statue.]

The weaving firelight from the statue gives off no heat, so much so, you wonder if it is some trick of the mind... the ugly man before you doesn't seem to notice it, or feel it, although the sheen on his brow is still present, as if he's burning up from within.

: [Study the man.]

The sudden weaving flames from the statue of Magran cast more light on his features. The man's robes are dirty, stained with grease, and other marks of the road...

The hems of his robes, including the sleeves, are burned at the edges, as if he walked a great distance across a fire, then reached into the flames with his hands to pull something out. But while his hands are thick and callused, they bear no burn or scorch marks.

: [Focus your gaze on the staff.]

The staff looks thick, stout, of blackened ash once burned by a terrible fire. Beneath the ash, the lines in the wood bear shapes and patterns... and there is a certainty the staff was once something far more dangerous... but not now.

As you study it deeper, it shimmers slightly in your eyes, like water catching the light weaving across the statue. Whatever power was bled from the staff, it doesn't make it - or the wielder - any less dangerous.

You look up to see the man watching you studying the staff. As his gaze meets yours, he nods with a humorless smile.

: "I didn't catch your name - or why you want to speak with me."
: "I didn't give it." The man grunts. "You probably find names as useless as I do..." His hand tightens around the staff. "The names that litter this world like debris are hard enough to wrap around the tongue, and what do they matter?"
: "It's what's beneath the skin and the letters I care about, what burns within. It's more important to me you're a Watcher than whatever culture or accent decorates your letters like awkward crowns. Take pride in your actions, not where you hail from..." The man's staff blossoms with fire for a moment, then the embers settle. "...or how your name rolls off whatever liar's tongue coats it now."

Durance is an archaic word for 'confinement'. It's also obviously endurance with a couple of letters cut off. Both will turn out to apply well enough.

: "How did you know I was a Watcher?"
: Durance shakes his head, and his hand curls tightly on his staff. "I can see the questions bubbling up. Let's burn them away, one by one."
: "I am a missionary. I walk this diseased nation, with its heathen, its people so careless with the spirits of others and their own. Watchers, among them. Yes, I know you for what you are, and your name doesn't interest me. Names are for honest folk, and you are a crack that shines light from... another place."

: "And what is it you think you can offer me?"
: "There's things we can teach each other, if you're in need of answers to your mantle of questions."
: "I don't force my words on anyone other than you. I don't care who walks with you or what their mewling problems and politics are... there's enough howling in the world without me stoking that fire.
: "I won't take from your provisions, don't need much on the road. I can carry my weight..." he inhales, again giving you the impression of a blacksmith bellows, and he smiles, almost proudly. "Which is considerable."

: "What kind of marks?"
: He stares at your face, then into your eyes – almost dully at first, then more intently. "Disease? Spirit wind?" He shrugs. "Both could have touched you, yet here you stand."
: "As for disease..." He taps the pox scars on his face. "Not all of us were close to water when the pox hit, but it's no longer a passenger in my flesh. It left its marks as well. But like flames, the pox doesn't strike twice, nor is it catching."
: "I have no need of your help."
: "You think me a burden?" Durance's face twists into a sneer. "I'm here to help you, Watcher. And you can help me with nothing more than letting me walk with you. I'm no stranger to battle, if that's your fear. And if you need, I can tend wounds, and give counsel... but both only if you ask for it."

Well, if he can fight...

: "If your stone mistress there allows it, then come on."

If anything, the statue's flames behind him burn even brighter.

So our new smelly, angry hobo companion is a Priest. Of Magran, specifically, despite the fact he spent half the conversation insulting her. Durance is a fan of relationships based on mutual antagonism. Anyway; not sure if Priests are the
best class in Pillars but they're very useful for what they provide. Their spells cover buffs, granting immunities, and providing healing when they can find the time, along with a smattering of damage and area trap magic; some of their spells can be covered by scroll consumables, but that means a whole lot of scroll crafting as you'll want something from the Priest suite in practically every fight in the game.

Durance's Mig and Con isn't very useful for most Priest builds but they don't hurt and the fact we'll be casting a lot of support buffs means his low Per isn't as bad as you'd think. Int means those buffs will last long enough for our purposes.

Priests can cast a certain amount of spells per-rest like a Wizard. They have a smaller overall spell list, but in return they learn all their spells when they reach a new tier and don't have to equip a subset of them to cast. Durance has access to the first and second tier of spells after we level him up; some of the stand-outs at level 1 include Blessing, which improves the party's Accuracy and damage, Prayer Against Fear, their first status affliction immunity (and one that's common throughout the entire game), Holy Meditation which provides a Will bonus and basically makes your party immune to interruption for the duration of the effect, and Armour of Faith which provides 4 Damage Reduction- useful early on but falls off when everyone starts hitting as hard as the bears did. The second level of spells gives him Consecrated Ground, which creates a circle of constant regeneration freeing him up from casting multiple curing spells, Iconic Projection which does a line-based Freeze damage attack that also heals your party (more so than Restore Light Endurance, a spell that takes just as long to cast and comes at the same level), and Suppress Affliction which temporarily… suppresses afflictions; very useful until you get the full suite of status immunity-granting spells.

He also gets Repulsing Seal, a spell that puts a pulsing seal on the floor that knocks anyone (including your party) who enters it prone. What the game doesn't tell you is this counts as a trap, and thus its accuracy scales with Mechanics. Durance is going to be our first designated lock-picker. Go figure.

Even in that long run-down I'm skipping over some good spells. Priests are great! I did a Path of the Damned run without a priest. I don't recommend it unless you love the crafting menu and/or hate yourself.

For his Talent choice, we're going with Inspiring Radiance. Along with their per-rest spells Priests get a once per encounter ability called Holy Radiance that cures allies and hurts 'Vessel' type enemies (anything with a soul unnaturally bound to it- undead, golems, those poor kids Edér mentioned earlier, etc). The Talent adds a +10 Accuracy buff to the party to all that. Always be stacking Accuracy.

North of the goddess statue is a traveller who is much, much less intense than Durance.

: "Don't suppose you happen to need some supplies? I thought I'd make my way over to Madhmr Bridge, but I'm starting to think I'd be better off heading back to town and getting a few more folks together."
: "Better safe than sorry, right? ...Say, did you hear something?"

He did! He heard a couple of wolves. Which were something to worry about when we were solo; not so much now. The map has plenty of packs of them and apart from grinding away at our overall health they're not worth noting.

Healing potions aren't going to rock our world but free's free.

There's a ruined tower to the south with a single Will-O'-Wisp inside. They're spirits that can inflict a nasty confusion status, but this one misses Mathilda and goes down fast. You don't need special weapons to hit ghost and spirits in Pillars unlike other games of its type, though they do tend to have high Deflection.

We take a quick rest anyway to refresh some spells and bring back some sunlight to the area. We can see something waiting for us to the south; some hired mercenaries and a woman holding a grimoire and wand.

Music: Big Things in the Woods

So much for conversation. The woman is a Wizard. Like in every RPG since the dawn of time, there's one primary strategy here: kill the mage before they can do anything. The Paladins are beefy but don't do much on their own other than run interference.

Durance's Blessing covers half the god drat screen and it's not even at its maximum range. Use Priests!

After they're dead, we find the grimoire on her body (with the spells equipped she might've used if we had let her) and a letter that just raises further questions. Whoever Q is, they don't like Kolsc and they need people for something. So: probably Raedric's fault, somehow.

There's something here other than wolves and kidnappers to fight; a single Forest Troll. Trolls regenerate Endurance like Fighters, but other than being hardy don't have anything special going for them.

There's another corpse at the south west end of the map, behind the Forest Troll. With another letter that mentions that Fulvano guy, like the one back in the Valewood on the body with the magic gloves.

I don't think it's superstition if the item is actually magic.

With that, the Fork's done, and the southern exit to the map takes us to the Anslög's Compass to look for that baby medicine for Aufra. I don't think anything in the game explains who or what Anslög is/was, or why the area's named for it, but hey, we're not cartographers.

Music: Oldsong

More locals waiting for us as soon as we arrive, a dwarf woman named Tily and a human named Egdrang.

: "If you're here to fish, like us, you'll want to avoid the compass proper." The dwarven woman points to the southeast. "There are some suspicious folk down there."
: Her companion shakes his head. "A lot of ships wind up spread across the rocks, here, so we didn't think much of the wreckage. Until we heard something..."

: "What do you mean? What did you see?"
: "Corpses. Walking corpses. We don't want any part of it, whatever the cause. Might be we can find something in these tidepools, and then we're headed straight home."
: "What are you two doing out here?"
: "Fishing, of course. Except I lost my fishing rod when I flung it at the head of one of those monsters." He sighs. "We were looking the tide pools over and thought we'd try our luck down by the rocks. Got the fright of our lives. We'll have to make do with the nets here, or go hungry."
: "You said there are a lot of shipwrecks here?"
: The woman nods. "All the time. It's a lovely place, but dangerous as anything to sail. Good fishing, most days." She wipes her brow. "I think we'll look further up the coast next time."

Might be worth looting a few boats.

: [Leave] "Farewell."

Oh not again.

It's some xaurips, this time. The only real problem here is making sure to block their path to the fishers; the villagers can die in a single attack. They're not as threatening to us.

Not that we get anything in return other than gratitude. The dwarf woman got the final hit off, though, so fair play to her.

A few more xaurip fights down south, there's a cave entrance. This one isn't full of bears.

Just a collection of plant monsters. Dank Spores are a pain; their spit attack has a chance to confuse your characters, making them either stand around uselessly or attack an ally. Thankfully, they have a weakness; they're plants. They can't really move. The sporelings, who looks like little mushroom people, haven't gotten that particular memo and will happily follow us round the bend where we can slaughter them without being bothered by their 'parents'.

With the sporelings out of the way, the Dank Spores manage to confuse Durance, who also happens to be the only character who can cure confusion, but eh, it's a graze. They have enough Endurance to last a while but aren't much of a threat without backup.

There's some secret treasure in the back in what looks like a collection of skulls. Fine weapons are straight upgrades over their normal counterparts, adding extra damage and accuracy. There's five tiers of each weapon in the game: normal, Fine, Exceptional, Superb, and Legendary, each providing a bigger bonus. As the Wand is a ranged weapon and works with Aloth's Blast, he gets to use it for now.

Outside the cave, some sand hides a letter talking about the guy who got half-eaten by wolves. We already found the gloves, but it's supposed to be a hint that there's something left up in the Valewood if you missed it.

Further south is a recent- as of this update- addition to the game, as a tie-in of sorts to Pillars II.

: "Who are you?"
: "I am called Ponamu Bird-Scorned, chronicler of the Huana people. Strange, I know, but we do not choose our names, do we?" He chuckles, running a hand across his scarred visage.
: "You were shipwrecked?"
: "Aye. We were transporting goods from the Deadfire to Defiance Bay when a storm took us off course and ran us aground here. Only I survived." He frowns for a moment, but then shakes his head, clearing the expression.
: "You should consider sailing the islands of the Deadfire, friend. No more beautiful a realm exists in the whole of the world!"

: "BUY THE SEQUEL."

: "What are you selling?"
: "The ship's cargo, goods from the Deadfire, a few personal trinkets, all of the highest quality. I wouldn't sell them, but without coin, how am I to return to my homeland?"

Ponamu sells good stuff, most of it related to the Deadfire, plus some Fine equipment (including a pistol, robbing the Disappointer of the niche of being an early upgradable magic gun). We're not going to be buying any of it, partly because it's way too strong for the point of the game he's available and partly because it's out of our price range. But we'll come back to him before the game's over.

Our actual goal is further down south past the skulls. The midwife set up a nice little place for herself. The xaurip really ties the décor together.

: "What's that xaurip doing here?"
: "Who, Tana? He helps me gather ingredients, work the cauldron, things like that. He's been quite a help around here."

: "My name is Ranga. I lived in Gilded Vale a time, working as a healer and a midwife. Perhaps you've been to that place? You'll understand, then, why I might choose to come south."
: "In any case it is far more comfortable here, by the shore, where I can hear the water. And I still get visitors from time to time. Perhaps you're in need of something?"
: "Aufra sent me here. She says that you know some way to ensure that her child is not a Hollowborn."
: "Ah. More of Lord Raedric's frightened flock." She nods slowly. "I know what she's speaking of. I imagine she's somewhat desperate, sending you out here for her. She gave you payment, I expect?"

...Well, she gave us a fruit.

: "Whatever it is, you keep it. I don't need coin. I need you to do something for me, instead." Ranga points inland. "There is a xaurip tribe, to the northeast, led by one of their priests. Tana was exiled from there some time ago, and their scouts still lurk about this place, waiting for an opportunity to end his life."

: "Alright. I'll be back when it's done."
: "Good, good. You'll find them easily enough, I think." She smiles, baring sharp teeth. "Good luck."

On the way to the northeast, there's another Fulvano letter inside the eye socket of some sort of lizard skull. He's 2 for 2 for dead apprentices at this point.

We find the Xaurips who have been so angry at poor Tana. They've got a full set of party roles- Skirmishers are rogues with a paralysis poison, Champions are big beefy fighters and Priests are, well, priests, though this one doesn't do anything much but fail at hitting anyone with a fear-inducing spell. Other than the Champion they don't have much Endurance and fall fast.

Though they do get a paralysis off on Edér and thanks to the lowered defences really tank his Endurance and overall Health. We'll have to rest before the next map.

...Fulvano might not have been the explorer he thought he was but even so, that's a hell of a run of bad luck. Thanks for the tip off about Black Meadow, at least, we'll make good use of it.

The undead that the two fishers mentioned are hanging out down the south-eastern corner. Guls (sigh) are the Pillars variant of Ghouls; each of their attack sickens their enemies, but they aren't accurate enough to trouble Edér or Mathilda, and they count as Vessels for Durance's Radiance.

Boots, Black Meadow. Already on it. First, though, we gotta report our glorious victory over half a dozen tiny lizard people to Ranga waiting by her cauldron.

: "No, Tana, I do not mind yours."
: "They're all dead."

: "I will get started on the mixture... but I need one more ingredient. Some spores from the creatures in that cave, there." She points just north of her little stretch of beach. "Sporelings, they call them. It is a useful material. I need one, for the mixture. You are welcome to any others you find."

Way ahead of you.

: "I have some spores here."
: "So you do. Excellent. Give one here, and I'll add it to the cauldron. This should not take long..."

One screen going black and an indeterminate amount of time later…

: "Wait - I thought this was a cure."
: "I can tend to ailments of the body. I cannot cure an affliction of the soul. Certainly not one inflicted by the gods." Ranga crosses her arms. "I have explained many times. People will believe what they want."

: "Ranga, you're nothing but a charlatan!"
: "Nonsense. I am many years now a midwife. What I am not is a worker of impossible miracles. If you want to do something about the Legacy, I tell you this: better to deal with Lord Raedric. It is his punishment which drives these women to me."

Preaching to the choir here.

: "I have done what I can, as promised. Tell Aufra I wish her well."

And we've done what we can. Here, at least. Heading back to Magran's Fork, we take the east road to the Black Meadow to search for the blacksmith's delivery.

Music: The Free Palatine of the Dyrwood

I mostly like the soundtrack, but there's a definite lack of different wilderness themes.

There's a skeleton of what is suspiciously dragon-like with a few gems hidden in its eye socket nearby.

We find the wagon along the path south, and further up…

The culprits.

Don't blame your lookout, you were staring right in our direction and we barely have any ranks in Stealth.

The bandits don't have a mage but they do have some archers; Chill Fog basically renders them unable to hit apart from a starting bolt on our Fighter. That's fine, though; Edér can take it.

I have no idea what this references. Some kickstarter thing? Turtle Rock Studios? Their cool bandit gang acronym?

Mysterious letters aside, their deaths did give us enough XP to get level 4 and another Talent choice. Mathilda grabs Intense Flames that adds another 25% damage (fire this time) to her Flames of Devotion; Edér grabs Hold the Line which adds +1 to the number of targets that he can engage (I'm much more willing to throw a Talent at that than one of his class-specific abilities). Aloth grabs Bewildering Spectacle as an extra 2nd level/tier spell that confuses enemies; for his Talent, Aspirant's Mark which grants him a weaker version of a Druid spell capable of lowering enemy Deflection and Reflex. Durance takes the Talent Prestidigitator Missiles which gives him a weaker once per encounter version of one of Aloth's damage spells for some quick burst damage. Every class has a weaker version of one of their abilities as a Talent choice for other classes to pick up; these ones I've found to be more early game choices. Eventually, both he and Aloth will have enough spell casts per rest that I'll respecialise these into something else but neither of them are there yet. They currently can only cast 6 real spells before needing a nap.

We have the smithy's stuff. No sign of the delivery crew; we can safely assume the bandits happened to them, if they're not some of the lootable bodies that litter the wilderness around Gilded Vale. The other letter is interesting; we should remember if we ever find ourselves in a place called the Gift.

We're done with sidequests, but while we're here we may as well finish the map. To the north-east are Forest Lurkers, a type of walking plant monster. They're annoying this early on as every attack they make has a chance to apply Stuck, a lesser form of Paralysis where you can attack but not move. They have enough reach that they can sometimes attack you outside of your own attack radius, leading us to sometimes being eternally stuck just out of range. They also hit hard, so Edér's going to be taking most of their ire.

Which he does with gusto. Blind isn't in their list of immunities and Chill Fog does its job, but a few hits still get through; enough that Edér drops for half a second because I didn't want to waste a spell cast on healing with Durance. His starting armour gives him something called Second Chance, however, which gives him a single self-resuscitation after running out of Endurance in a fight. He lasts long enough for everyone else to eat through the HP of the Lurkers.

There's a shrine to the god of the hunt beyond; hard to say if the Lurkers were guarding it from the unworthy or just happened to be in the area. There's not much to do here at the moment but grab some hidden items, another Fine Wand and a scroll for a fire spell.

Down near the exit towards Caed Nua we get yet another vision of torture victims. We really need to get this Watcher stuff sorted out. Eventually.

Most of the rest of the map is full of roving packs of Forest Trolls, but there's a new enemy to the southwest that are the results of the 'Salvation' Edér mentioned; Wichts, which I would guess is a play on 'wight' rather than 'witch. They're the Hollowborn children granted animal souls turned into feral abominations after they reach puberty.

They're technically not people, they're animal souls wearing people's skin at this point, but still; fighting them isn't great. Morally, anyway, combat wise they're a bit of a joke. They count as Vessels, and their bodies being barely out of childhood Durance's Radiance destroys most of their tiny endurance pools. Hope you have a better life next reincarnation, kids. Or… dog souls. I don't really know how exactly it works. Current circumstances suggest neither do the animancers.

Fulvano's final disciple can be found nearby. Didn't even have time to write a letter before being torn apart by the results of the world's most ill-advised medical experiment.

Which leaves us with most of the wilderness areas near the Vale done (we can't go to that city to the south yet). Caed Nua is unlocked, but we have to head back to the village to turn in these quests and should probably investigate the closed-off Eothas temple while we're there. And then there's the Esternwood, which leads directly to Raedric's keep. It's high time someone paid the lord a visit.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 19, 2018

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Reputation impacts player abilities, but that's only for the player character. Everybody else is stuck with the baseline abilities, even if it's a character you create using the inn. So it's a good argument for making the main player character a Paladin or Priest, because nobody else gives a poo poo about the ability. You can also pick main character based on "the NPC for this class is not available for a long time and/or is an unbearable tool," of course, but you can just use the Black Hound to fill out those slots. Which, because of the way XP works, is the kind of thing where if you're going to do it, you need to do it immediately. But you already said you aren't making any new player characters, so hey there you go.

When we get enough NPCs hanging around that we can't just bring everybody, how much input are we going to have on who you bring? I suspect you'll at least show them off a little, and you aren't going to let us sideline Durance, but stuff like "we can bring the Wizard, the Chanter, or the Cipher" type stuff.

Also, in regards to stacking accuracy, something that I don't think was mentioned was the different fighting styles, most of which have obvious advantages: dual wielding is "more hits," two handed weapons is "bigger hits," and using a shield is "more defense." The advantage of using a one handed weapon and leaving your off hand empty is that you get +10 Accuracy.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

Reputation impacts player abilities, but that's only for the player character. Everybody else is stuck with the baseline abilities, even if it's a character you create using the inn. So it's a good argument for making the main player character a Paladin or Priest, because nobody else gives a poo poo about the ability. You can also pick main character based on "the NPC for this class is not available for a long time and/or is an unbearable tool," of course, but you can just use the Black Hound to fill out those slots. Which, because of the way XP works, is the kind of thing where if you're going to do it, you need to do it immediately. But you already said you aren't making any new player characters, so hey there you go.

When we get enough NPCs hanging around that we can't just bring everybody, how much input are we going to have on who you bring? I suspect you'll at least show them off a little, and you aren't going to let us sideline Durance, but stuff like "we can bring the Wizard, the Chanter, or the Cipher" type stuff.

Also, in regards to stacking accuracy, something that I don't think was mentioned was the different fighting styles, most of which have obvious advantages: dual wielding is "more hits," two handed weapons is "bigger hits," and using a shield is "more defense." The advantage of using a one handed weapon and leaving your off hand empty is that you get +10 Accuracy.

Yeah, I think I mentioned Faith and Conviction and player reps but the Priest scaling not being a thing on NPCs slipped my mind. I'll be trying to bring party members to areas with their sidequests or where they have a lot of incidental dialogue (which is going to make some logistics with the expansion party members and Act 2 of the game... interesting) but otherwise I'll be doing votes every once and while. The weapon styles should probably come up in a few levels.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Man I absolutely love Durance in this game. Sure he's a total jerk in more ways than one, but he's what I'd expect a really wandering cleric to actually be, a man of intense faith but in a way that doesn't gel with the norm of his religion at all.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I legit had no idea I could recruit Eder. Unless Ive somehow blocked it from my mind.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm hoping you can finish this. I like the writing but the combat simply doesn't grab me. I went back to my half finished-save and while the combat isn't completely unfun, it just feels like it drags on. A lot of abilities, outside of big nukes and hard CC, don't actually *feel* very effective even when they are.

Priests are a good example of this. They're definitely useful, but they have so many different buffs and debuffs and auras that they all kind of blend together and end up feeling same-y.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I legit had no idea I could recruit Eder. Unless Ive somehow blocked it from my mind.

He's hard to miss. Though I guess if you talk to him the first time, then talk to the dead dwarf and never talk to him again if you miss his callout.

A lot of quests and recruitable party members are signposted by calling out to you (not with in-game audio, just with a text popup). Miss it and you might miss something important!

Unless you yourself are playing a priest or a fighter, Durance and Eder are probably the party members likely to stay in your party the longest without being switched out - Eder makes a fine tank for holding choke points and Durance encourages taking you with him for his stirring conversation.
He has a great laugh when he crits something and kills it.

Aloth feels a little more easily ditchable, especially if you don't enjoy micromanaging spells, and isn't as fun to talk to.

--

In terms of design PoE takes some inspiration from DnD4e, but it's in ethos rather than a direct system port, since you're controlling six characters instead of a single one. So you generally have your meatwalls like fighters and chanters and paladins who can happily get stuck into a battle while you're left to micromanage your spellcasters, unlike DnD4e where every class is interesting in itself to play. Still, there's no one 'best' class and spellcasters don't overshadow other classes in their use, although outside of barbarians and scrolls they're the usual source of AoE damage.

Party member AI wasn't even a thing on a release other than autoattacking their current target - they wouldn't even move onto a new target until you told them to. With the release of the expansion, AI is a thing now and it generally does OK with some builds. I wouldn't let priests free cast, but some other classes - even spellcasters - manage to do alright.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Durance has the right eyes for the job, at least.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'd like to think the Fulvano stuff is Obsidian giving the finger to Volothamp Geddarm from the Baldur's Gate series.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Durance wasn't my favorite companion but his story (both background story and developments throughout the game) is the best one in my opinion. Aloth didn't really grab me. Eder's cool.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I'm another person who couldn't get into this game, and I'm really enjoying this LP.

I really wanted to like it, and I was looking forward to the setting and story, but I honestly found the combat system really obtuse and way more complex than it needed to be. I've played a bit of pen and paper D&D, and I found the combat system to work there because you're not doing everything in real time, and you're only responsible for one character, so you have plenty of time to think about and discuss the implications of your moves, even though you have to do all the calculations by hand. Controlling a bunch of characters and having to strategize for all of them was a real pain, and I found the system in Dragon Age Origins to actually be a lot better, since it was a much more straightforward and simplified system.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

I'm another person who couldn't get into this game, and I'm really enjoying this LP.

I really wanted to like it, and I was looking forward to the setting and story, but I honestly found the combat system really obtuse and way more complex than it needed to be. I've played a bit of pen and paper D&D, and I found the combat system to work there because you're not doing everything in real time, and you're only responsible for one character, so you have plenty of time to think about and discuss the implications of your moves, even though you have to do all the calculations by hand. Controlling a bunch of characters and having to strategize for all of them was a real pain, and I found the system in Dragon Age Origins to actually be a lot better, since it was a much more straightforward and simplified system.

Frankly I found this game a lot more fun when I used other peoples builds so I didnt immediately gimp myself with not knowing what I was doing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pillars of Eternity 2 is going to be more accessible, since:

1. All powers will be per-encounter instead of a mixup of per-encounter and per-day, although resting for health is still a thing and the main goal is to make yourself up a delicious camping food (as opposed to camping at an inn) and avoid resting as long as possible to keep that food bonus going as long as possible, since resting with no food gives no bonus.

2. Party AI is fully customisable in the style of Dragon Age Origins or FF12 but possibly even more in-depth, and what's more it's freely sharable as files, so you can download someone else's settings they put online for a 'set and forget' experience.

Also the combat speed will be 'slow' by default and five characters in a party rather than six, so you can more easily let battles 'play out' and adjust tactics as needed, rather than frantic pauses.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I just bought the Definitive Edition of this (with the DLCs) at the last sale. Haven't tried downloading yet because I tend to have limited bandwidth, but I can't wait to play it... eventually. Right after I finish off the rest of the dozens of games awaiting my attention in my list.

... I think I might have a problem.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Sorry for the lack of updates; a combination of the holiday season and a sudden case of employment left with not a lot of time over the last month. I should have something up tonight.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Part 9: The Temple of Eothas

Aufra's still in her house, waiting. Not a lot of places for her to go.

: "I've brought you Ranga's remedy."

The placebo effect is unlikely to do much to cure a magical stillbirth plague, so there's a choice here. Is it better to give her a few months of happiness and relief, or dash her hopes but have her steeled against the worst?

: "Wait - You should know something about that potion."
: Aufra blinks, looking down at the vial. "What do you mean?"
: "It doesn't do what you think. Ranga says it'll make you feel better, but that's it."

I'd go for the latter, even if we weren't playing a paladin order known for its bluntness- if it's going to happen at least she knows it's coming.

: "I still expect to be paid."

She only gives the cloak to you if you're honest about the potion. So there's also a power-gaming reason to ruin her hopes.

: "I suppose all I can do now is pray... Perhaps the gods will be kind."

We leave the house to make our way to the blacksmith when a cloaked figure waltzes up to us under the cover of night.

He appears to be favoring his left leg as he walks, and there is a dark stain upon the fabric of his trousers, under the knee. Even so, he greets you with a polite bow.

: "It seems that you have done dear Aufra a great service." The man nods towards the nearby house. "Anslög's Compass is a dangerous place, and yet you were willing to venture there to help her."

Kolsc'll also pop up if you hand in the shipment quest, or if you just wander in the general direction of Raedric's keep. Presumably he's stalking all heavily-armed travellers who wander into town.

: "Only a man determined to see Gilded Vale restored to its former glory. There was a time, stranger, when Gilded Vale was worthy of its name. The crops gleamed like gold, and the village's people lived well."

: "And what has become of it now? Whatever has caused the blight upon our lands, it is not the fault of its people. Raedric looks to punish us for crimes we have not committed, and in turn he is blind to his own."

: "I am not. And he will pay for what he has done. I swear it by the flame."

: "Perhaps you could come with me."
: "I sorely wish that I could. But I would only hinder you further. One of Raedric's lickspittles slipped a dagger in my leg before he fell. May he be half so lucky in the next life."
: He glances down at his wound. "But it is not the leg which pains me. We have lost too many to Raedric's defenses. This is why I would turn to you, now, for assistance."

Our man here is very good at taking opportunities to make speeches.

: "What is it you want me to do?"
: The man nods, standing a little straighter. "It is a grim task that I ask of you, but I assure you, there is no other option. Lord Raedric must be stopped."
: "Too long has Gilded Vale suffered under Raedric's madness. He would cure Waidwen's Legacy by ensuring there are none alive in the village to be afflicted. I fear his own wife, Ygrid, may be at risk. The man has no mercy in him."
: "We have not stood idle. My people and I breached the defenses, intent on ending Raedric's rule ourselves. We entered through the sewers, under cover of night. But we were routed." His face darkens. "There are... dark creatures, down there in the dungeons. The work of Raedric's animancer."
: "It falls to you. Lord Raedric has called for further reinforcements, and soon there will be no stopping him. Our time grows short, and in this hour I must beg assistance where I can."

: "Fling him from the ramparts, or else cut his head from his shoulders. I care not. Once his throne lies empty, Gilded Vale will have the stewardship that it deserves."

: "I will find Raedric and deal with him."

We can at least take a look into this mess, and 'deal' is ambiguous enough to not lock us down into anything quite yet. More importantly he has some information on the keep he won't reveal if we say we're not interested.

: "Then I commend you on your courage, and thank you for your assistance. But I would not send you onward without due warning."
: "Raedric's Hold is crawling with soldiers and sellswords, all loyal to Raedric. They will not take kindly to intruders. In truth, they will be all the more alert for our failed efforts."
: "A frontal assault would be unwise. If you would brave it, you could follow our steps, and seek out the entrance to the sewers at the eastern edge of the moat." He looks away. "But several of my men were captured. It may be the entrance has been found, and sealed anew."
: "Those men were under my command. I would be in your debt, if you found some means of helping them."
: "Once you make it inside, seek out my old friend, Nedmar. He is the high priest - Berathian, now that the Shining God is fallen. A good man, in difficult circumstances. He will listen to reason."

This is pretty much the high point of Edér and Durance's 'friendship'.

: "I'll carve my own path through. More fun that way."

It's hard to shed too many tears for Raedric's men when they've been party to all… this.

: "There's merit in this path, Watcher. Many lessons to be taught, and many at the keep in need of teaching."

On the other hand, Durance agreeing is never a good moral sign.

: Kolsc studies you for a moment. "So be it. So long as you remember who the real enemy is. Gods guide you, stranger."

And with that, we finally get the quest to deal with Raedric. We could just move on, of course; Raedric doesn't have anything to do with the main plot of the game. That's still talking to the Watcher, who is likely going to die of old age before we finish up in the Vale. But it would feel wrong to leave the area without stopping by.

First, though, Tuatanu's quest.

: [Hand over the crate.] "I think I already found your shipment."

: "Here, I'll give you a taste." He ducks behind the counter, and rises with a heavy wooden shield in hand. "Might not have had much in the way of materials to work with, but it's still Black Hammer craftsmanship. You go on and take that."

Larder Door's gimmick is that you can attack with; which is fine in theory, but a weapon and a shield doesn't count as dual wielding for recovery purposes- you still alternate with both your weapon and your shield, but they're just as slow as if you were wielding them alone. You end up doing less damage than having the same main weapon with a non-bashing shield. With a couple of exceptions, bash is a trap. Tuatanu's just unloaded his worst item on us.

: "I guess they didn't feel iron was worth dying over."
: Tuatanu nods solemnly. "Perhaps. I certainly hope so. Poor fools." He sighs. "I'll have to hire on more hands, either way. Don't suppose you want to settle in Gilded Vale, try some delivery work?"
: He winks. "You have my thanks for your assistance, friend. Give me some time to work the forge and you'll have your pick of the next run of weapons."

He sells a fair number of items, but there's one in particular we want for now; the Outworn Buckler. Its Herald enchantment grants a party-wide defence buff to all defences; it's like carrying around a permanent Priest spell. And we have a million xaurip spears and shields to use to pay it. This may become a trend.

The buckler originally belonged to one of the founding members of the Darcozzi Paladini when she was just a squire, thousands of years ago in the glory days of Old Vailia. As it accumulated damage from war and weather, the buckler became an extension of the paladin's own irrepressibility and protectiveness, as well as a symbol that inspired those in her charge. She wore it in every battle of her long and distinguished career, and though the paladin's name would eventually succumb to the ravages of time, the shield has yet to do the same.

It is said the shield was so partial to its original master that it will allow none but a paladin of similar conviction to touch it, and in times of need it has a way of making it into the hands of those whose souls mirror the greatest qualities of the Darcozzi founder.

I suppose we have conviction. Not quite the way the Darcozzi had in mind, but...

With that done, time for the temple. The entrance isn't hidden; it's right in view of the tree at the centre of the Vale.

Music: The Quiet Slave

I'm assuming the man leaning against the wall wasn't there five years ago, Edér.

: "Have... a care, if you mean to go in." He casts a quick look towards the doorway to his left. "This place is not so empty as I thought."
: He angles a look up at Edér. "Paying your respects, Eothasian?" He manages a pained grin. "A little risky, isn't it? Think what the townsfolk would say."
: "Safer down here than up there. Even with the rats as big as they are." A faint edge of hostility belies Edér's playful tone.

: "Better luck with what?"
: The man points a finger upwards. "These ruins around us? Used to be a Temple of Eothas. The Scattered God. A grand temple, at that. His worshipers would come from all over the Dyrwood. From Readceras, even."
: "Not so much from Readceras these days.

The instigators of the Saint's War are still around, even if their god (or man who claimed he was their god) isn't, naming themselves the Penitential Regency of Readceras. There's not much good feeling between then and the Dyrwood, as you might imagine.

: "...Until the war, of course. Even then, you'd get some of the stubborn ones. The ones that couldn't get it through their heads that their god was dead and gone."
: "Get to the point."
: "As you like. Once the Legacy started, Lord Raedric decided he'd been too lenient on the Eothasians. He had his people go in and put them all to the sword. Left them down there, buried, under a heap of rock."
: "Heretics or not... their deaths didn't stop the Legacy. Didn't do much of anything at all. They didn't deserve to go like that. Chopped down in their god's house."
: "If you can get down there, find their remains, maybe we can finally give them a proper burial." Wirtan breathes out. "No small task. There's coin in it for you, if you need motivating."

: "I take it you aren't supposed to be in here."
: Wirtan laughs bleakly. "Well, I meant to be in and out, nice and quick. I'm not hurting anyone, it's just... Lord Raedric's forbidden anyone having anything to do with the Scattered God. It'd be a little... harder to explain to him than you."
: "I-it's a good cause, though, isn't it? And you could make some coin in the process."
: "They're long-dead. What does it matter where they're buried?"
: "It... it's about respect, isn't it? About deserving to be remembered. Not just tossed under a pile of rock and forgotten." He breathes out shakily. "I thought it worth the effort. Giving that to them."
: "Wait, you want me to bring you some skeletons?"
: "I'd bury them where they are if I could. I know it's a little... macabre, but if we don't get them out now Raedric's liable to destroy whatever's left of them."
: "I have some questions, first."

: "Why can't you do this yourself?"
: "Well, I tried. Only got a short ways in before I got in over my head." Wirtan grimaces. "I haven't raised a blade in a long time. Turns out it isn't something you can just pick up again. But you look like you can handle yourself."
: "Who are you, anyway?"
: Wirtan offers you a weak grin. "Name's Wirtan. I've lived in Gilded Vale long enough to remember how grand it used to be." He shrugs, and looks away. "I used to help the temple, sometimes. Bring supplies. That's all."
: "Won't Lord Raedric mind us digging around down there?"
: "I wouldn't go telling him about it. Lingering in these places, it's no good for anyone. But you do this quick and quiet, and we can do right by those priests without raising a fuss."
: "Any chance there's something down there worth a little more than some old bones?"
: Wirtan looks around. "Probably. Nobody's been through the place since it was sealed up. Well, apart from me, and I didn't touch anything. Any valuables in there, you get first crack at them. I only ask that you do this favor for me while you're at it."

Good enough for us.

: "I'll find them."
: "Then by the flame, I owe you a good turn. But listen - the temple's been sealed off for so long, it's crawling with creatures. But if you get past them... the priests would have been down on the lower floor. They'll be there still, if they're anywhere."
: "Those priests had all kinds of secret chambers. Switches in the walls, trick sconces, that kind of thing. Keep an eye out. And... take care, down there. I wouldn't want to have to send someone else after your remains."
: "I'll wait here by the stairs and keep a look out. Maybe try to patch myself up some..."

And so begins the first non-tutorial dungeon of the game. We head in and easily dispatch a pack of Wisps to find the figure of a priest…

...Who vanishes into mist as we approach. More visions.

Your voice sparks movement; the spirit surges with a sudden, blazing light, and in the next moment you are somewhere else, your mind assailed with a sudden wave of fear and noise.

Her strength will see you all through these dark times. You feel that hope like a spark behind your ribs. Somewhere behind you, someone begins to sing.

The spirit tears itself from you with sudden, dizzying force, and you find yourself back before the ruined altar, swaying. The spirit fades, as suddenly as it appeared.

A little ways away from the vision, some of the bat-creatures we saw in the Engwithan ruins are wandering around the temple. Just as well none of them headed up the stairs to the village. There's a few books around, mostly about the background lore of the setting, though one in particular seems to have been vandalised.

Then Sargamis spoke, and his voice swept forth with the heat and force of the bright day's sun. "Weep not, for the Child of Light has forgiveness even for you, if you will embrace Him."

Harmke knelt before them, then, resolved to save himself, and asked what he must do.

And Modegund spoke. Her voice was like the songbird's final hymn, bidding farewell to the day's light. "What darkness lies within you, you must cast into His light. Your sins will be burned from you, until you are newly formed, reborn into His keeping."

So spoke Modegund, but Eadnung warned him, saying, "You have walked all these years into darkness, and must now return. You will find the path like treading fire, and at every step you will be tempted to turn away. But no harm will come to you, if you keep your faith." '

Probably an initiate or something before Raedric's men happened. Shameful treatment of books, honestly.

Speaking of initiates, one left a note in a ruined dormitory. It's not weathered the years well.

Nothing has, really. Other than the Skuldr. The temple library has a few scrolls and pieces of parchment we can loot but otherwise is a mass of ruined wood and paper. However, if we stake a close look around the adjoining room...

A key! And a note by someone who really should've known better than to tempt fate. We do get confirmation that Wirtan wasn't lying about being known to the temple, at least.

And a letter someone who shouldn't have left his writing to the last minute. It's further to the south, surrounded by a pile of spiders we easily deal with. Nothing else in this room, save for a lamp in the north wall.

A hidden passage! That leads right back to a room we already explored. Not sure what the point of it is other to skip a few enemies, maybe. Wirtan was right about the sconces and things, though. We head back around to the south west to find the last set of monsters on this floor.

Skuldr Kings are a step beyond the normal bats you see scattered around, and we run into a little bit of a problem; they have a DR of 18, which mean our normal attacks are barely scratching him. Without Durance's damage Blessing, this would be a dragged-out fight.

Edér and Mathilda can block the handy archway they're hanging out next to, and Skuldrs don't have anything in the way of immunity to being smacked down onto the ground. Tricky if you came in alone, but you can manage it with a couple of partners and Durance is overkill.

The King and his brood were guarding another ghost. The temple's lousy with them. Time for another word dump.

But stronger than sight is the sense, within you, of a powerful energy. It roils and seethes with a grief that seems to spill into your own thoughts, tainting them, until the sorrow is your own.

Like a crashing wave, the energy surges towards and into you, and suddenly you are elsewhere. Before you is a brightly lit stone corridor, lined with torches and gleaming crystals.

You're running, your footsteps echoing off the stone around you. You forgot to tie your sandals, and they're slipping from your feet, fouling your steps. You're late - again. The rite's going to begin without you.

You hear the tolling of a bell, and your spirits lift as you recognize the familiar, warped tone of the Right Hand - representing the first of the Dawnstars to appear in the night sky and last to fade in the dawn light. You pray fiercely that this is the first of the chimes, and not the last...

Another mention of bells in a specific order. Interesting.

The lights fade, as does the memory, and when your eyes clear the spirit is gone.

North of the King's room is a trapped box, which Durance duly deals with. Inside is a Minor Ring of Protection; may as well hand it over to our fighter, he needs all the defences he can get along with the cloak he's currently wearing-

What the gently caress do you mean 'suppressed'?!

So, okay; Pillars doesn't tell you this unless you check the character stats, barring maybe a loading screen tip that nobody bothers to read: you can't (generally) stack the same equipment bonuses. Just have the highest bonus on an item you can and be done with it. Edér will have to leave the ring for someone else.

Door down to the next floor is locked; only thing of interest around is a set of bells. Hmm.

: [Examine the bells.]

The bells appear to be fully intact. They are made of a thick iron, and look very heavy. There doesn't appear to be much out of the ordinary about them.

: [Ring the left, smaller bell.]

The bell tolls a high, piercing note of startling power. The tone echoes merrily through the halls, until it seems that a dozen chirping notes ring through the temple.

: [Ring the middle, large bell.]

You heave at the bell, and as it swings back in the other direction, the clapper strikes a low, powerful note against the heavy iron. You feel the ringing in your chest, as the sound moves through the ruined halls in a rolling tide.

: [Ring the right, smaller bell.]

The bell sounds a strange, warbling peal that grows to a painful shrillness before it diminishes to a mournful chime.

That didn't seem to do much. It's a puzzle, obviously; quite why the priests of Eothas decided to set one to open the door to their own basement whenever they made this temple I'm not sure. We've seen the clues; the last spirit mentioned the right bell is wrung at the start and the end, and the initiate's note suggests that the second bell to hit is the larger one. A bit of trial and error can figure out the rest.

Alternatively, check out the Book of Verses a ways back; those passages were marked for a reason. The order of the bells is the order of the speakers to Hamke. Eadnung is the Right Hand, Modegund is related to birds like the left bell's chirping which leaves Sargamis as the large middle bell. Eadnung, Sargamis, Modegund, then Eadnung again is the order of the speakers in the book. Right, Middle, Left, Right.

Or, uh, we could just use the hidden key we picked up with the Rectrix's letter. But we could solve it if we needed to, and that's the important thing, right?

Floor 2 is where things get more interesting.

: "It's strange looking back. All the time I spent here growing up. Never seeing what was coming."

Around the corner after our fighter stops being wistful is this delightful fellow.

He's a pain in the rear end! Instant Teleport is a movement ability almost all of this class of spirit possess, and it ignores Engagement entirely meaning no back line is safe. I get why the game needs something like this- even after patches too much of the early game is solved by body-blocking doorways while your casters and rangers never get scratched- but it probably wasn't a good idea to introduce an enemy like this quite this soon. You don't have your full tool set available, and this isn't even the worst trick of an enemy on this floor. That being said, their Fortitude and Reflex aren't very high and they have another weakness that'll come up soon.

The Shadows are souls of the dead who are heavily damaged by the passage of time and for whatever reason can't enter the reincarnation cycle. Presumably the Eothasian's deaths were plenty traumatic. Also, 'Spirits' are a different class of enemy than 'Vessels'- Durance's special ability doesn't do anything to them; it only works on spirits bound unnaturally to physical, er, vessels.

Our exploring nets us a hint about the location of another key. Should remember that if we come across any water.

Like right here! Unfortunately, we can't swim in it. So much for Athletics. We check out the room to the northwest.

Shadows aren't the only spirit here; there's Phantoms, which aren't worth going over other than they have a chance to stun on hit, and these guys. Shades have some extra tricks up their sleeves along with the teleport.

First, they can shoot out a ranged ice attack that at this point really hurts. Second… There's more Shadows in this picture than we started with. Shades will near-instantly summon their lesser friends, who will then proceed to teleport right into your squishies. If you're not prepared to focus-fire them you can easily be overwhelmed.

Despite an immunity to ground effects like Slicken however, they cannot stop our Fighter hitting the feet out from under them. Just… don't question it. Edér can punch out ghosts, it's a thing.

They were guarding a switch that drains the baths.

Down the stairs and a couple of oozes (okay, that was a good reason to not enter the water) later, and we find the key. Just gotta find the door it's for, and we're golden.

There's plenty more Shades on this floor outside the dormitories. The temple crypts in the southwest of the floor is a better place for them to hang out, to be honest.

The Shade/Shadow/Phantom's main weakness is they don't have a very high Fire DR. Aloth's flamethrower hands with Fan of Flames melts them. The only problems are trying not to run out of first level spells and not roasting your own front line. It's handy when they swarm him, though. He still has some Endurance left.

Our reward is a special cloak. 9 Will's… fine, and we don't have a surplus of magic cloaks right now anyway.

This guy takes umbrage at our grave robbing, but a single ghost isn't a threat.

We find the door the key is for to the north and fine some more stairs. We're almost where we need to be.

After killing some oozes and admiring another temple pool, anyway. Eothas or his worshippers really liked underground baths.

Another secret passage is close by.

And with it, thanks to Aloth's eagle eyed vision we find a lot of corpses! Let's see how sad and/or angry they are.

It is as if you have stepped sideways and into a new life. You are racing down a flight of stairs, following a weaving circle of torchlight. Your own panting breaths are loud in your ears. Panic and your robes alike foul your steps, and you nearly stumble before a hand reaches out to grip your arm and steady you - a fellow acolyte, who smiles encouragement as you reach the bottom.

You run around and past the shallow reflection pool that marks the lowest point of the temple, following the dark shapes of the older priests as they lead the way towards the narrow hall that leads to the vault. You pass one of the torchbearers as you go.

The harsh illumination of the flames reveals a familiar face. For a moment your awareness spans time and identity, and you think Wirtan has joined you, here at the bottom of the temple. In the memory, he glances at you for a moment, and then looks past, at someone else.

The memory twists, jarring you loose from one moment and plunging you into another like a flung doll. There is only darkness around you now. You think yourself blinded, until the knowledge settles onto you like a cloak - the candles have all burnt away.

You know now, too, with a sick certainty, that nobody is coming.

There is a cracking noise, somewhere to your left. A wet, slurping gurgle, and a ragged sob. You cannot see, and so you cannot know which brother or sister has fallen, and which digs after what water a body may provide. You hear, in the faint murmuring to your right, the familiar cadence of prayer. But you no longer recognize the words.

You are too tired to do harm. The thirst is like fire within you. Your tongue is thick in your throat, and every breath is a struggle that leaches strength from you. There is a light, they said, at the end of every bout of darkness. But this one does not end.

: "What's to be afraid of? You're already dead."

The spirit seems to withdraw into itself. You sense less of its fear and confusion as it recedes, but the soul lingers still.

: [Gather the remains.]

In traditional Obsidian fashion, of course the quest giver is partially to blame for the deaths of the temple acolytes. Still; may as well finish what we came here for.

You spend a few moments gathering up what you can find of the bones of the priests. It proves a heavy - and gruesome - burden, but you manage to recover them all.

We find something in the crates nearby; a healing flail. Edér uses it for now- the grazes conversion is nice enough and he needs a crushing damage option anyway. It's fitting for the last Eothasian left in the Vale, anyway.

The final battle to the north is another batch of Skuldr. The big deal here is that there's now two Kings- feel like it would've been more, uh, 'interesting' with a mixture of Skuldr and Shades but I'm really not going to complain. Two of these guys ganging up on you hurts enough as it is.

Piling on the debuffs works well enough, though- as long as you don't let them get through the chill fog and everything else, they're manageable. We do run into the problem where they both end up confused at the same time and thus technically allied to us, so they just sort of stare at each other. Hitting one of them clears that problem right up. Also note that mind-controlled enemies receive any party-wide buffs like the Outworn Buckler's, or buffs you cast while they're on our side.

Our final reward is a stat-boosting helmet. A Readceran one. Looks like someone in the temple really did fight for the other side in the war, or at least had some smuggler friends. Either way, we take it for the Resolve boost.

It might be two sizes too big for us. So it goes.

Nothing left but to take the stairs up. As soon as we do, a door opens back to the first floor we explored. Convenient.

: "What's this all for?"
: "Redemption. They got this whole rite for when you come of age. They take you by the hand and you descend through the temple with your eyes covered and that's supposed to be like a wicked life. They don't tell you where you're going. I was sweating like crazy when I did mine." He winks.
: "They take you to that reflecting pool back there and you're allowed to look at it so you can face your sins. Then you come out into this room and they uncover your eyes again and everyone's there to greet you, all your friends and family. And it's like you've been redeemed. You light your candle and it burns with the others. Never had a feeling better than that my whole life."

Edér's eyes linger on the candles, and he seems for a moment to be a younger man.

Aww. But enough nostalgia, we have an injured man to accuse of crimes. Time to hop back to the entrance.

: "Something you're nervous about?"
: "No, of course not. Just... never good to linger around these places. That's all." Wirtan gives you a searching look. "Did you find anything?"
: "I did. Here they are, as you asked for."

: "You mentioned a reward?"

First thing's first; wait to confront the questgiver after the hand over.

: Wirtan looks up at you, startled, and then nods. "Right. Of course. Here..." He pulls a heavy sack of coins from his belt. "You did your part, and I thank you for it."

You have gained 200 copper.

: "I found more than bones."

: [Lift Wirtan off his feet.] "I will crack your head in two if you lie to me again."

: [Twist Wirtan's injured arm.] "Not sorry enough."
: Wirtan shrieks in pain. "Wait! Stop, please!" He curls around the injured limb once you release him, helpless tears running down his face.
: He breathes in raggedly, not looking at you. "I-I didn't know how to explain. That's all, I swear, it's not..."
: "You don't understand. I tried to help them. I did. Every day - every single day, I went to that temple, and I warned them. I told them that they were playing with fire, and Raedric wouldn't be patient forever."
: "And every time they'd shrug it off. Like I didn't know what I was talking about. Like it wasn't costing me, coming in to try and help them. I could've been arrested right alongside them."

: "You worked for Raedric."
: Wirtan gives a bleak laugh. "Yes. But not anymore. It's been a long time since I held a blade." He hesitates. "I knew what was coming. It was their own drat stupidity that kept them in there. I couldn't understand..."
: "Every warning I gave, they ignored. The rectrix, she said they'd be 'reborn' anyhow, so it didn't matter." He grimaces. "S-so she got what she wanted. Her martyrdom. Raedric ordered us to round them up, lock them in the cells."
: "I convinced them to hide, at least. They have that vault, full of old relics. Gold and such. I thought... I thought they could hide in there, and once the guards left, they'd have something to sell for passage out of the Dyrwood. Back to Aedyr."
: "But when I told the men that the priests had already gone... They ordered the temple sealed. I couldn't get in again." Wirtan shakes his head. "There was nothing I could do."

: "Why did you send me down there?"
: "Because if Lord Raedric means to have the temple cleared, they would have found the bones, eventually. They'd know I lied to them, when I said the priests left. And I'd hang." Wirtan's shoulders sag. "I don't know if Raedric would have killed them. Maybe they'd be languishing in cells, now. Maybe they'd be off somewhere in the Empire, and I'd have a night's peace."

No, circumstances suggest Raedric's not the 'cells' sort.

: "If I ever see you in Gilded Vale again, you're a dead man."

It's not strictly our business, but letting him completely off with the hook with Edér ready to explode right behind us? Nah.

: Wirtan flinches, clutching at his arm. "B-but..." He takes a few steps back, glancing at you nervously. "Y-you won't. You won't, I swear it." He turns to flee for the stairs.

On that depressing note, that's it for the Vale; dungeon explored, sidequests done. On to Raedric's Keep.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the vibe of this first town. It's bleak, and there's no "happy feel good" ending with anyone it seems. You have lovers running off together after killing an "abusive" husband, an expecting mother who knows the truth rather than believing in false magic, and now someone who tried to do the right thing, and then backed out at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Honestly, if the roads weren't so crazy dangerous, I'd say you did that dude a favor by scaring him enough that he leaves the Vale.

• Locked thread