Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Humans have made some good things. Like beer. And dark beer."

"All things are better molten. Stone. Iron. Chocolate cake."

Ornn appreciates the finer things in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Do I just go full tank ornn or can I build damage items as well? I'm fairly new to the game and extremely bad.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

threelemmings posted:

Yes, his name is rammus and he's already perfect

The moveset is more along the lines of Braum where it's less about protecting others and more about taking burst damage and sending it back with an unstoppable auto.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 13, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Biplane posted:

Do I just go full tank ornn or can I build damage items as well? I'm fairly new to the game and extremely bad.

Full tank, almost always Sunfire and Abyssal because he'll then upgrade those with his passive when he hits level 13+14. Also don't worry about his damage, Ornn is hella fun because he's incredible at punishing greedy bruisers with a level of burst damage in lane that almost no-one is prepared for. Land the pillar, charge knockup, then use his flame breath to apply brittle and then auto attack and it can take 1/3rd to 1/2 most early lane health bars. It's a really easy combo to pull off and if some greedy Renekton is trying to dive you it's a guaranteed ticket to an open top because they'll almost certainly rage about getting solo killed by a tank.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Biplane posted:

ornn has really high base damage so you usually end up accomplishing more just buying tank and being immovable

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

njsykora posted:

Full tank, almost always Sunfire and Abyssal because he'll then upgrade those with his passive when he hits level 13+14.

This changed with the item rework. He now just upgrades his Mythic at 13, so you go whichever one fits the game best. Always gonna be something that builds from Bami's, unless you really want a locket for some reason. Then you get upgrades for your teammates' mythics, one per level, at 14+. This also gives you 4% armor/mr/hp. Mostly just go full tank, though hp stacking steraks/titanic/gargoyle's is fun.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Fun fact about Ornn. Ornns W makes him unstoppable. So time it well to just ignore whatever the other top laner is throwing at you, ie Urgots flip, Cho's knock up.

Sad fact about Ornn. His ult counts as a projectile, so champs that can block projectiles like Yas just neuter him in team fights if you don't time it right.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ornn also counters bruisers nicely cos you can soak up the trades early by taking biscuits plus every time you earn 300g you can just go plonk, plonk, cloth armour. Plonk, plonk, now I have a bramble vest and I havent even gone back. Plonk, plonk, stoneplate greaves lol you cant hurt me

Even if you lose lane it doesnt matter cos you have such a huge impact on team fights, just push R in their general direction then mash keys at the carry and you win

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Support talk: top picks personally have been nami, morg, alistar, leo, Sona twins, thresh

Usually just spam pick sona though since it seems low gold high silver don't really mesh sometimes with teamplay.

Better to have moonstone and just let them heal up to whack each other while running down mid

Just be careful early, positioning is crucial.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thank you all for the Ornn tips I will try to make you all proud

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Mega Comrade posted:

Sad fact about Ornn. His ult counts as a projectile, so champs that can block projectiles like Yas just neuter him in team fights if you don't time it right.

let me tell you about playing ornn into release samira

that wasn't the only reason i stopped playing league, but it was up there

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cooldowns are hard i guess

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/Y8gi0aZ.mp4

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I've done two ornn games now where I was owned pretty bad early on by a darius and a malphite but won both games because he turned into a very strong mountain man as long as I got my farm in.

E: and a third one now laning against an ad shaco? I brutally owned him and we easily won the game. Ornn is cool and good and my friend.

Biplane fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 15, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you definitely should not struggle against malphite as ornn thats by far and away his strongest lane

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If someone's playing their second game on the champ and the person they're meant to counter is on their 50th I can excuse getting owned by a Malphite in lane.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

And again, I am bad at the game. But I'm getting better!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you ever lose a lane for any reason i dont understand your lifestyle

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

njsykora posted:

If someone's playing their second game on the champ and the person they're meant to counter is on their 50th I can excuse getting owned by a Malphite in lane.

i cannot

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The average LOL player has a 65% win rate.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You are a person of principle and I have no choice but to respect that. Also, I spent 2.5€ on a white elderwood chroma for ornn so now he's a winter wonderwood ornn

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

dont be so ornnery

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

rabidsquid posted:

if you ever lose a lane for any reason i dont understand your lifestyle

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Having a lot of fun playing ornn, especially when I'm against other bads. Any of you losers playing on eu west like me (a winner)?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Biplane posted:

Having a lot of fun playing ornn, especially when I'm against other bads. Any of you losers playing on eu west like me (a winner)?

Theres a few of us but most dont play all that often these days. Feel free to add me (ign: dingus khan), I might be around on weekends for a few

Otherwise find the discord info in the op and ask around there. Everyone is supremely chill and there are sometimes funny gifs of dogs in the appropriate channels

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

el dingo posted:

Theres a few of us but most dont play all that often these days. Feel free to add me (ign: dingus khan), I might be around on weekends for a few

Otherwise find the discord info in the op and ask around there. Everyone is supremely chill and there are sometimes funny gifs of dogs in the appropriate channels

Cool, I will. Big fan of dogs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TUY1Vv6eg

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
That's genuinely adorable, I've never felt bad for a Sett before.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There's a bunch of them and they're all adorable.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
That video has extremely high goon stack energy and I absolutely love that series of videos

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I just started playing the game last week, after trying to make a go at playing DOTA2 with my buddies.

I have to say that the algorithm seems to be doing an excellent job of matching me against other beginning players, all may games seem very competitive and I've actually carried a couple of them, while being on the clear losing side in others. This is in clear contrast to DOTA2, which doesn't seem to have any sort of system for acclimatizing new players to the game and just throws you in with people who obviously have much more experience than you, and then you die 20+ times a game every game.

I know this is supposed to be a famously toxic game, but the ratio of cool team mates to toxic people is better than 10 to 1 so far. I guess maybe the toxic people are all better than me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the game from a philosophical perspective? I can find a lot of tutorial videos where they explain individual champions and how the basic game mechanics work, but should i be looking at playing ranked as early as possible or is it ok to chill in Normal. I find that quite often nobody on my team even attempts to play a jungle champion, i find stuff online that says that you shouldn't even think about playing jungle for months. It seems like the quickest way to lose at my level is when the other team has a somewhat competent player in that position so is it possible to fill there or do you need specific runes and spells?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Ranked and normal (draft pick) games are the exact same thing, it doesn't matter which you play despite what others say. Normal uses the same ranking system as ranked under the hood, it just doesn't show you the number so fewer brainworms gamers get mad about it going down. (This is the same way it works in dota2). IMO you should immediately barge into ranked when you unlock it and lose your first 5 games ASAP to cure yourself of the disease known as "ranked anxiety".

As soon as you get high enough level to unlock the Smite summoner spell you can try out jungling. Warwick and Nunu are both cheap 450BE characters who are mechanically straightforward to play so you can spend the other 90% of your brainpower on the part of jungling that really matters: looking at your minimap every 2 seconds so you know what's going on in every lane. You might want to look up some "[character name here] jungle clear" videos on youtube or whatever because different champs can do different things at level 1 and if you try to fight a camp that your champ can''t handle (due to having no AOE at level 2 or something) you're gonna lose out on a lot of time and end up underleveled. But basically after your first jungle clear once you're level 5-ish and bought a random suggested item you should be strong enough to just freestyle it and hit whatever camp is closest with no worries.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Starsfan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the game from a philosophical perspective?

That's awesome that you're having such a good experience. I'm poo poo at this game, so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice, but my lessons learned are these (better players tell me where I'm wrong):

Dying is bad. You build the other team's snowball and weaken you're own. Just like cave spelunking, have a plan to get out you can be more bold if your enemy doesn't have a flash. You can be especially bold if you have a flash and they don't.

That said dying can be overcome, so don't give into despair. Understand that dying in the laning phase is giving the other team the initiative, and while it's bad, the game isn't over. You're on the defensive now. Sometimes people give up, or desperately try to match kills and widen the gal.

Pay attention about when to expand and contract. You want the team together for team fights, but a team that stays balled up probably isn't farming well and will wonder why they start losing fights. Use wards and map awareness to predict where the enemy is aggregating. The ideal solutions are usually either a decisive action as a group against them, or the bare minimum amount of players to mitigate their damage without giving up space; if four enemies ball up in bottom and bot/sup/jungle keep them from the turret and take no losses, top and mid can gain some space, maybe take an undefeated tower. But if they get three kills and two turrets and mid and top lose their gains by having to teleport back to defend the inhibitor, enemy probably got the most value out of that exchange.

Recently, LOL has been the jungle show with special guests top, mid, bottom, and support. But it's a specialized role, with specific items and specific champions and specific routes that you'll need to know. Because it's so hard though, you can probably learn to be better than other new players fairly quickly with some videos.

I never have to fill because I only play this game like twice every four weeks main support, so ymmv.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
It is hard to give holistic advice for the game but I reckon the most important is: ward ward ward ward ward ward ward WARD. Dont forget control wards

Vision wins games. You might not end up with a sick KDA and no one honours you for your excellent vision control but it wins games

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

el dingo posted:

It is hard to give holistic advice for the game but I reckon the most important is: ward ward ward ward ward ward ward WARD. Dont forget control wards

Vision wins games. You might not end up with a sick KDA and no one honours you for your excellent vision control but it wins games

Yeah i've noticed that this is low-key the part of the game that might be the most difficult to pick up and take the most experience / knowledge to do properly. Like i have been using the wards that I buy and plopping them down in the bushes around my lane and the river (i also have been playing alot of support so I've been told this is my job lol) but I don't really think too much about it or have a good idea of when it's critical to get wards in certain locations. I will read up on this more. :)

Thank you for your feedback and advice guys, I do appreciate the feedback ^^ I hope that I can elevate my game to the point where I can play with some goons in a group :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Philosophically there’s only one guide you ever need for support

https://youtu.be/aSHvzZy1YZA

During laning phase you’re about 80% of the power in the lane, and 15% is the jungler when they show up. Your job is to shove gold and kills down your ADC’s throat whether they want them or not, while making the opposing ADC miss as many minions as possible

As a ranged support, you do this by finding the exact right distance where you can hit the enemies with spells and autoattacks without dying yourself. Autos matter a LOT, if the enemy ADC takes one of your autos for every minion they hit, they’ll get scared off the wave and you win the lane easy

As a melee support your job is to Kill Them. I recommend Leona. There’s only four hits: you hitting level two, you hitting E, and something something they die

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s mostly dependent on how timid your ADC is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

leona can easily solo a level 1 adc when she is level 2, so no, it absolutely does not depend on that even a little. the level 2 leona all in does 280 damage with just the abilities basically. i mean it would be nice if the adc helped but that will half health most full health bot laners by itself.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 17, 2021

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, there's an enemy support usually,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
You have to inspire the bloodlust in your bot laner if you're solo queueing support. Ping your engages, tell them to push for lvl 2 advantage, call the jungler to come gank, setup vision around objectives. At the end of the day you can't pull out every game but as support you have the most opportunity to call shots and make plays, especially in the early and mid game.