Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

90% of the time you know where you need your camera to be.

9% of the time you press space to reset it.

1% of the time, it's mildly awkward.

That 1% is worth it for actually getting the information you need while you play.

Lol is like an rts, the amount of time you actually need to be looking at your character is (likely) waaay less than you are comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
My only contribution to camera chat is that I bind camera toggle to a mouse button and switch between locked/unlocked as needed, and it feels way better to me than futzing with hitting space bar to recenter. you do you of course though

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I understand Smartcast to an extent but I'm not sure how it works for things like Miss Fortune's E? The one that rains poo poo down from the sky.

Ignite Memories posted:

If you aim a ground-targeted skillshot out of your ability range with smartcast you will move into range and use it once it is in range

But Riot loves its special cases. Miss Fortune's E is specifically coded not to work like most ground-targeted skillshots. You can't buffer it to cast outside its range like that. It'll just cast at max range in the direction of your cursor if you try to.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
just use locked camera and use your gamer intuition to hit targets you can't see

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What do you do when you need to shoot someone and move the camera at the same time?

"I already have the camera in the right spot" is not an answer, it's not infrequent to have rolling fights that move through a couple areas.

anticipating how a fight is going to go and controlling the movement and position of the camera is a skill that ive gotten good at, i guess? its rare fights just move a full screen in a totally unanticipated way while im ALSO making precision movements

so the answer is literally "i already have the camera in the right spot". its no different than dodging skillshots - you dont just see a skillshot and go "gently caress! gotta dodge now!" you actively anticipate what skillshots could be coming, when they could be coming and pick a course of action that leaves you less vulnerable to them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys enable smooth camera movement? What does it do?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verviticus posted:

anticipating how a fight is going to go and controlling the movement and position of the camera is a skill that ive gotten good at, i guess? its rare fights just move a full screen in a totally unanticipated way while im ALSO making precision movements

so the answer is literally "i already have the camera in the right spot". its no different than dodging skillshots - you dont just see a skillshot and go "gently caress! gotta dodge now!" you actively anticipate what skillshots could be coming, when they could be coming and pick a course of action that leaves you less vulnerable to them

It's kind of equivalent to a game like CS:GO or Valorant. The best players aren't getting by solely on godlike reflexes, but by knowing the typical angles and heights that people appear at and adjusting their aim ahead of time to compensate for that.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

yeah that question had me so hype because its like, to me good camera movement is just something i do. i do not even think about my camera position, and when i coach people i have to go out of my way to think about why their camera is bad

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fizz bout to rocket to the top of the tier charts by them making him even a bigger lane bully

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Fizz bout to rocket to the top of the tier charts by them making him even a bigger lane bully

not sure about this one, reducing damage from ult and putting power into damage mitigation and the harass from trident makes him more consistent but reduces his burst potential ... which is the thing that above all else you want on an assassin. this might even end up lowering his power overall (but it would be funny if it brought back bruiser fizz somehow)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't think that's funny at all

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

not sure about this one, reducing damage from ult and putting power into damage mitigation and the harass from trident makes him more consistent but reduces his burst potential ... which is the thing that above all else you want on an assassin. this might even end up lowering his power overall (but it would be funny if it brought back bruiser fizz somehow)

I feel like he is gonna start being able to shove earlier and get into his roam faster.

Jungle bruiser fizz is back baby

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The people demand, and Riot must answer: bring back top tank Ekko

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

it's all i want, mister merrill. please

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Fizz will probably still do Enough damage, and he has other concerns that need addressing that these changes might help, but I can't help but see him losing 50-100 damage + .1-.2 AP on his ult in exchange for 10 more damage on Trident and 4-9 more damage reduction on his passive and think "this is nasty".

In PTE he also got a cooldown reduction on his E along with these tweaks, and I could understand those changes with that, but it seems kind of limp to me otherwise.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 10, 2021

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Fluffdaddy posted:

I feel like he is gonna start being able to shove earlier and get into his roam faster.

Jungle bruiser fizz is back baby

man that is some poo poo out of like... season 2 or 3 with the thing you build before wriggle's lantern. back in the days of playing the game super late at really high mmr there was one dude that played that poo poo and it was spooky. dunno if you'll ever see that now though

e: holy poo poo this new av owns wtf

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 10, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Vermain posted:

Riot: "We have heard the people and next week we will go live with 2 new skins for Ekko. Both will have him sporting fetching tank tops in alternate colors"

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Servaetes posted:

man that is some poo poo out of like... season 2 or 3 with the thing you build before wriggle's lantern. back in the days of playing the game super late at really high mmr there was one dude that played that poo poo and it was spooky. dunno if you'll ever see that now though

e: holy poo poo this new av owns wtf

it's cute, where'd you get it

fnox
May 19, 2013

here’s a drill you can do in the practice tool to do camera control. try moving your character up and down the river while keeping the camera in the center. don’t click once and have it path, actively try to click close to your champion and try to stay in the middle of the river, while you use longer mouse swipes to keep the camera centered.

if it’s too hard, don’t change your mouse sensitivity change your camera speed. you want to be able to, with one quick motion, put your character from the center of the screen to the bottom without it leaving the screen.

also put your UI size at 0. mini map size adjust until you can see everything clearly in one glance.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone messed with semi locked? I tried it briefly but it was pretty weird and I feel like you'd have to both get used to turning it off and on as well as have some other button that centers it once (again for me that's not spacebar so I'd have to use some other button) but maybe it has potential once you get used to it, I dunno

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pussy Quipped posted:

Also consider turning your HUD scale down to 0, there's literally no reason for it to be as big as it is by default unless you have a sight disability. This will let you view more of the game on your screen and move your camera less.

i had an eye injury and i cant really see poo poo now and my hud is super small because why would i ever need to look at it

i also play without my brain though so ymmv

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Did they get rid of the item shop scale? I saw people somewhere say to turn that down too.

I need to glance at the HUD for cool downs and poo poo still.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

Has anyone messed with semi locked? I tried it briefly but it was pretty weird and I feel like you'd have to both get used to turning it off and on as well as have some other button that centers it once (again for me that's not spacebar so I'd have to use some other button) but maybe it has potential once you get used to it, I dunno

it’s bad. I guess it’s better than locked camera but a fundamental thing you need to have is the ability to look at the rest of the map.

:iiaca: but think of it as driving without using your mirrors. you can drive, sure, you’re looking forward so you’re sure you won’t hit anything in the way, but you’re not aware of what’s going on beyond your periphery, like a good driver would.

it’s particularly important to look where you’re going, as in, if there’s a fight you wanna see what’s happening, if there’s a gank or roam opportunity you want to look before you commit.

best is just to commit and play a couple of terrible games with unlocked camera, until you get used to it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://i.imgur.com/fYHDvO7.mp4

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So that new pentakill Karthus skin? incredibly grating sound effect on his Q, a ability you will cast every single second you are in any fight.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

after playing a few games in the sinful land(mid) i can safely and confidently say bot lane is the best lane in league of legends

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So that new pentakill Karthus skin? incredibly grating sound effect on his Q, a ability you will cast every single second you are in any fight.

It's called "heavy metal," you wouldn't understand.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I trained myself to hold space when I need to focus on my character and otherwise move the screen around like an RTS and it’s okay. I am also solidly bottom half silver

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

What’s your top half?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

supports: it is time for you to learn rell. you have been putting it off too long. and yes, i know you - the support reading this(without goldfish) have been putting it off. you have to stop this. rell is the new wave. trust

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nah I'm good

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
rell is cool but i prefer my freelo with amumu right now

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

supports: dont make me catch a felony. i do not repeat myself

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

The next time we're in a game together, you play ADC and I'll play rell

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Minrad posted:

rell is cool but i prefer my freelo with amumu right now

Amumu support is honestly pretty absurd at moment yeah, two bandage tosses gives you so much flexibility to engage

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm really struggling with adjusting to mechanics in this game in terms of mouse movements and comfortable mouse grip. My hands cramp by like level 6 lmao. It's a very busy game and I'm thinking I need to go even higher than 1600dpi, 50, 50

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm really struggling with adjusting to mechanics in this game in terms of mouse movements and comfortable mouse grip. My hands cramp by like level 6 lmao. It's a very busy game and I'm thinking I need to go even higher than 1600dpi, 50, 50

i dont know my settings and at my peak performance(only played normals but mostly high diamond players, occasional challengers/streamers playing with their friend nathaniel) i was using an at-the-time 15 year old optical microsoft basic mouse on a tiny 3 dollar mouse pad that had the edges curling up so it didnt even lie flat

strong bird
May 12, 2009

rell is strong but suffers from the no ult disease. if it Grounded people inside it would be good but theyll never do that

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pog boyfriend posted:

i dont know my settings and at my peak performance(only played normals but mostly high diamond players, occasional challengers/streamers playing with their friend nathaniel) i was using an at-the-time 15 year old optical microsoft basic mouse on a tiny 3 dollar mouse pad that had the edges curling up so it didnt even lie flat

Yah I wasn't talking about gear sorry, more about how to switch to the super high sens without loving my wrist/fingers up. I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

I don't think the DPI is gonna help you with that. you really don't need to do anything with your mouse other than have it respond well.

you also probably don't need to click or move your mouse that much. if it's becoming actually physically uncomfortable when you're otherwise comfortable with a mouse, then you're definitely overdoing it. you want movements to be small yet precise, mostly around a small circle near your character, with flicking motions for moving the camera.

the extremely fast clicking that pros do is only useful for tethering, which you probably don't need to do.