Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I love League of Legends!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

I'll play this game again one day, I promise

No better time than now, summoner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

That was back before Riot really had much of an art department or quality control. They ended up going with a redesigned version based off of fanart by Katie De Sousa, which eventually lead to her landing a job at Riot proper.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Right now, it looks like the only major change they're making to runes for the upcoming patch on Wednesday is to knock Aery down slightly (15-40 instead of 20-60 base) and make Predator a little more appealing. I'm fine with things settling for a few patches so that they can get the data they need for adjustments, but I hope Coup, Sudden Impact, and Triumph all get looked at and knocked down a peg or two. I'm actually okay where Aftershock is right now, because it's brought back several engage supports like Nautilus and Leona in a big way.

Conversely, there's a few runes that seem to be underperforming or are too dramatically niche to make use of. Guardian sucks rear end because of how clunky it is to use and how uncontrollable its effect is (sort of like the old Zeke's). Glacial is merely "okay" on one or two champions, and I suspect it'll be a hard one to balance between "totally useless" and "100% mandatory." I really like the concept behind Unsealed Spellbook, but the other keystones just give too much raw power in comparison to it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Klepto is really, really strong on supports who can make use of it. You give up a good amount of lane pressure by not taking Aery or Comet, but you can take much worse trades and come out ahead and, if you're reasonably lucky, come back to lane with an easy 300-400g lead on your opponent (more if you take Future's and are willing to go into debt). Being able to go Frostfang + Dark Seal + Refillable on first back is honestly pretty crazy.

a medical mystery posted:

I imagine just having that small amount of extra range has to be really helpful for landing Q->Power Chords

People undersell the 25 range, but it's worth a lot more than people realize. You outrange most ADCs with it, including traditional hard Sona smashers like Draven.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wonder how long they'll let him keep this smurf around. Still can't understand Riot Korea's insanely draconian policy towards Apdo, unless there was something other than the Elo boosting that I didn't know about.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I wish I knew which Inspiration runes he was taking on her

I've been running Domination secondary for Eyeball Collection and the stacking MS rune

The stock standard mid Lux build is Comet with Manaflow/Celerity/Scorch, and Inspiration with Dematerializer/Insight. Dematerializer is non-negotiable on her, because it's the only way that you can hit the damage breakpoint you need to one-hit melee creeps with E.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

curiousCat posted:

Why would you take manaflow over hat? I do not understand.

Your mana is still godawful in lane, and you want to go Dematerializer/Cosmic, which locks you out of Biscuit. Ultimate Hat doesn't benefit Lux much, especially at max rank, where the difference between an Ultimate Hat R and a non-Hat R is something around 4-5 seconds (1 second if you get a kill with it).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah I don't see how minion dematerializer is any good at all

It's the only way to effectively one-hit melee minions on Lux without being full build. Ekko takes it for similar reasons.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Apdo literally pays a small team of people to optimize his rune pages, so I'm generally willing to go along with whatever he's running.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Apdo is playing versus bronze and silvers and is just messing around with runes.

Apdo played with exactly the same runes in Silver and Gold games in season 7 as he did in Challenger-level games. He doesn't run troll runes or make weird picks at any MMR division. His runes have a very specific, concise goal which I've alluded to multiple times already. You take Minion Dematerializer on Lux because it allows you to reach the damage breakpoints you need to keep up with the waveclear of champions like Viktor, Syndra, and Taliyah while playing mid post-6, because not being able to one-hit melee creeps dramatically slows down your ability to quickly clear waves compared to the aforementioned champions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The big reason that Teemo support works is that he gets to effectively double dip with Aery, since the lingering effect of his E poison means that Aery will proc twice (once on the initial hit, once again with the poison ticks). He's close to useless if the enemy duo has sufficient waveclear to simply shove the lane into his turret 24/7, however.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

sounds like easy bait for your jungler to come in and kill their blind rear end

Teemo has zero gank followup or setup, especially if his nose is pressed under the tower forever.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Zoe looks like a completely OP champ in the hands of somebody who understands the kit.

I heavily dislike the RNG element of her W when it comes to minion drops. You either get some dogshit you can barely use like Exhaust, or you get an early TP/Heal at 4 minutes and get to automatically win the laning phase.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I agree with the analysis of "King Cobweb" in that Luxanna Crownguard is League's most well-designed champion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They're changing Zyra around a bunch on the PBE, too. The short version is that melee champs can instantly kill her plants at all levels, and W's passive is changed from granting your plants bonus health to refreshing a percentage of W's cooldown upon getting a kill, with a smaller percentage for minion/monster kills, and a 100% refund for champion kills. Should give midlane Zyra more viability.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zyra traded off reduced power in her Q (both in terms of its damage and cast shape) and less plant damage in exchange for not having worse base stats than loving Sona. It was a good trade.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

I think every 'VGU' since Sion has been good and all of the duds have come from the 'class reworks' where they rework a bunch of champs at once. They seem to have stopped doing those luckily.

I think what they've realized is that doing a proper rework requires a lot of effort to make it ring true stylistically and give that champion a proper, defined place in the game. Eve was designed from the ground-up to be a jungler with her own unique strengths and weaknesses, and she's fully succeeded as a reworked champ. Comparatively, I think someone like Quinn is only being played because the quirks of itemization (specifically Lethality) have made her passably okay in toplane, and that's a direct consequence of her being one of eight or nine champions they were trying to simultaneously revamp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Primetime posted:

To be fair, Quinn wasn't being played before her rework either.

Sure, but neither was old Poppy. The point of a modern VGU is to boil down an existing champion's aesthetic/stylistic considerations ("Poppy is a Yordle with a big hammer that's hard to kill and smashes people into walls") and then turn that into a modern gameplay design. They weren't really able to do that with Quinn as a consequence of her being on a list with a bunch of other champions that had to be completed within a few months.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

amazeballs posted:

What about Fiora? I never played old Fiora because I'm a new scrub, but I really enjoyed the mechanics of new Fiora when I started actually dedicating time to playing League. She's still one of my favorite champions. But I have no context because I never experience the original version.

Old Fiora was a boring ball of stats that eventually just won the game because she had an ult that made her invincible and did a zillion damage if you ever got a single target isolated or had Hydra.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's the distinct possibility that Leona might be a little too strong right now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MF is benefiting immensely from a return of the hard engage supports, in addition to Lethality once again being loving busted on certain ADCs. Leona + MF is a guaranteed level 6 kill unless you're up against a W-buffering Tristana.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You go Comet on support Sion and make everyone really miserable. Guardian and Aftershock are both pretty bad, since you only trigger the latter with a charged Q or your ult, and the former requires you to basically hug your intended target 100% of the time as Sion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

I have good posture and my shoulder is not tense so I've no idea what's going on

You may be unconsciously leaning in or otherwise tensing up during the actual game. It's hard to keep a conscious monitoring of your posture when the majority of your attention is focused on the game.

Only other thing I can think of is that you're sitting too far away from your computer, and your shoulder muscles are having to stretch too much to move the mouse around.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Personally, I have my armrests set up so that my arms are effectively parallel with the desk (and, thus, my mouse). My monitor's got a very slight tilt upwards, but is otherwise flat on, with my eye level in a neutral position roughly lining up with the top of the screen (though not the monitor itself). The monitor bit is what ended up helping out my wrist/shoulder pain the most. It took a lot of adjustment to find what was comfortable. I just stacked a bunch of books underneath it and gradually added/removed some until I found a position that was comfortable for multiple hours.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Does Aery on him switch between damage on the enemy and shielding on him when he uses his Q?

Shielding is only applied when you apply effects to allies, and not yourself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's some weird glitch that occasionally happens with dashes when they're combined with high-velocity knockups. My only guess is that there's some janky interaction between the fixed speed that dashes apply and the overall velocity of the knockup (so that the knockup velocity is given an insane modifier).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Is that real, my friend

Not only is it real, but there's a new comic featuring the origin story.

I still preferred Varus' old lore where he's a guy willing to sacrifice a part of himself to gain a weird flesh bow, but, eh, whatever.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

I like that of all the things that they kept and removed, Darkins are a thing that they kept.

League's lore is effectively a big, stupid kitchen sink of all the things you liked when you were 15, so I'm glad they kept the Darkin around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orv posted:

The things that died to allow someones wank material catbird people to live are unforgivable.

Xayah and Rakan: two really great aesthetic designs utterly ruined by Anthony Burch's writing. I cannot play those motherfuckers without turning off champion voices.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orv posted:

I dunno about the first part of that either, honestly.

They have good, distinguishable silhouettes with good color schemes that express their respective personalities (Xayah's a little sullen and withdrawn; Rakan is outgoing and personable), and their chimeric features blend well together. Everything else about them sucks rear end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oh, I wanted to come back to this:

Sexpansion posted:

oh also, the inspiration rune that lets you go into debt is underrated right now imo

Future's Market is extremely underrated, in large part because playing around proper back timings is something you only really start to see extensively in mid-Diamond. It's especially good on Spellthief supports, since there's a high level of variance in terms of how a lane shakes out: you might have a huge number of opportunities to proc Tribute, or you might have vanishingly few. Going back to base with just enough gold for Frostfang but no sustain is an unbelievably bad feeling. Future's helps to smooth out bad backs and turns good backs into even better ones, especially on gold-starved supports in the midgame. I almost never play without it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

did Lee W to GP at the same time that GP flashed into the bush? I have no clue.

Yeah. If you watch it in slow-mo, you can see the Flash particles appear just as Lee arrives on the scene.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Christ, not only did they make a comic, but they put together a god drat CGI music video!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lovechop posted:

if you think that's bad wait til you see this guy's posts https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=753278

Folks, my posts are straight as hell & respect women immensely. You will not find a single one of my posts that would not full on kiss a woman on the lips romantically.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JerryLee posted:

So let me make sure I'm not misreading that

Varus is a gay couple that was combined into one body

It's not explicitly stated because the Chinese censors would shoot them, but, yeah, they're 100% a gay couple.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

People are saying that Varus is the first gay champion and it's rude for people to forgot about Braum.

Uh what about Vi/Cait?? Hello???

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radical posted:

"But Kai and Val fight on against his malevolent influence, hoping against hope that their love can overcome the darkin’s baser urges."

There's more types of love than eros, y'know. :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Hoping against hope? What

It's an idiom that comes from the King James Bible (Romans 4:18), but the changes in nuance with the word "hope" over the years has made the idiom seem kinda janky to modern ears. A better rendition might be something like, "Even if things seem hopeless, you should have hope anyways."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only time I'll ever ban hovers is if it's a champion that's ridiculously OP with a high pick percentage and the person hovering it isn't on the first or second rotation.