Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just want to mention that jungle sion is cool and good.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In a week when people get used to her skills she will be unbearable to deal with, playing against her as is it's pretty hard to tell where her Q is coming from since it looks nearly identical to her other spell effects coming out of the fog.

Imagine the days of nid mid where a single spear will do 4 digit damage, now imagine nid could setup long range CC for her spears by herself.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think riot has had more hits then misses with their visual and gameplay overhauls, Sion went from my most hated visuals -and- gameplay character to by far my favorite in both categories, there are no skills as satisfying or visceral to land then charging his Q and trying to get greedy for the extra stun duration and damage, or hitting his ult on a squishy target from across a lane and winning the game off it.

A bit of a self promotion, but I uploaded a lot of Sion clips last season here if anyone is interested in checking some out. https://www.twitch.tv/a_wizard_did_it/videos/all

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've seen miss fortune doing nasty things anytime she is ingame, also seen a double arcane comet jhin/xerath bot lane do disgusting things to a vayne bot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Since last season I've been banning twitch myself, usually hard to reach in a teamfight to stop him from melting your team, hard to gank because he can go invisible with high movement speed and either sneak around or just plain outrun you.

He could even be a jungler and you get to watch your lanes feed him every 30 seconds despite your loud and repeated warnings about his level 2 gank from red buff and that he is heading top now hey top laner I am pinging exactly where he is he just walked over my ward and on top of the scuttle vision in the river he will be there in a few seconds why are you taking the bait to dive the other guy instead of backing off *a ally has been slain*

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

How do I guardian? I took it as support Sion and won the lane, but it did not go off a single time, even when I was quite literally clipping inside of my teammates.

Edit: turns out to be a bug where if you take guardian on Sion and die without first activating it on a teammate, like say by killing yourself at level 1 on jungle camps, you will permanently lose guardian for the rest of the game, did 2 minutes of testing to figure that out, 2 more then riot did.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 26, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like Triumph and Coup de grace really crowd out any other options for those tiers of precision.
Presence of mind can barely edge out triumph on karthus and anivia, but in season 7 that 5% missing HP heal was a huge swing and now it's 15% + 25g.

Overall, I'd like to see them tone down the numbers on some of the offensive runes or beefing up the base defense of everyone, right now burst damage is too dominating and sustained damage and low burst damage dealers are falling in the winrate to 40-45%, press the attack is a big offender right now because of that 12% damage increase for the entire team on that person for 6 seconds which is a even larger damage bonus then vlad's ult.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 27, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Monathin posted:

It's basically a free Giant Slayer in terms of overall damage which isn't anything to scoff at.

The thing is, giant slayer is -only- going to work depending on how the other team builds and there will only be between 0 and 2 targets on the enemy team it will have any effect on, but even a tank can drop below 40% HP and it will actually do something against the other damage dealers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really feel they could touch up the description of some of the runes to make it more clear what they do.

I didn't realize until today that the everlasting biscuit perk gives you +40 permanent mana for every biscuit you eat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I think unsealed spellbook is pretty loving good.

I never quite understand what exactly I'd want to replace my starting sums with, I usually start with them for a reason, I can only think of replacing or adding teleport based on how the game is going.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Cdr is hugely good on low CD casters like rzye and ezreal. Why is CDR bad on kass

Your two example characters are guys who get flat 1 second cooldown decreases when they use their skills.

Taking 1.5 seconds off the cooldown of a 6 second cooldown with max CDR is a much bigger effect then taking 1.5 seconds off a 13 second base CDR ability.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Friendly reminder in the wake of Kassadin :tinfoil: posting that - aside from a 0.1 bump to R in April - Kassadin's ratios haven't been touched since 2015.

It's not a big secret why kassadin is strong right now, all blinky bursty characters in preseason are bonkers right now, everyone is super squishy so you need to be impossible to lock down and hit and you'll have a easy time of just vaporizing anyone within your effective range, doesn't help that aery is stupidly strong consistent poke damage on a short cooldown.

I feel like any meta where shaco is stronger then usual is a bad meta.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm someone who would regularly go tank junglers and build a locket for those 1000 hp team shields, 2000 with gargoyle, I'm finding in preseason the squishies are dying before I can react to press that button, the other half of the time I press it and they just burst through it anyway.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mikujin posted:

If you're up against Yorick, just play Tryndamere. It's already a pretty easy match-up, and if you go the standard CDR route + Ultimate Hat you have R on like a 40 second CD which means there's never a time Yorick gets to all-in you and win.

I can't really recommend picking trynd right now in a patch state where malphite and teemo are both top tier top laners and against yorick he can bully you out of lane and save his cage for when you use your spin.

Good picks into yorick are those that can just endlessly waveclear or damage him outside of his effective range like swain/malz or a cheeky yasuo that endlessly dashes and max range Q pokes without him being able to do anything in reaction.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Zoe needed more changes. The RNG component of her W is absolute poo poo and shouldn't be in this game, period. I watched Scarra playing midlane Kat one game where the enemy Zoe got two Gunblade drops in a row, causing him to instantly lose his lane at level 4 through no fault of his own. Her E's less obnoxious to deal with now, but I still have no loving clue why it's so goddamn overloaded.

They should probably not have item actives drop from minions, I don't understand why she needs randomized hextech gunblade/staff/botrk/redemptions popping up during laning, you can't plan around that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

It's one of the unfortunate limitations of the new rune system. They're giving Renekton an AD buff on the PBE (66 -> 69, growth from 3.1 -> 3.75), along with several other toplaners, so they recognize it's a problem. It'll probably take another patch before fighters are completely healthy, but they're getting there.

They need to stop doing this where they abandon a handful of champions when they overhaul a system, there is no equivalent to deathfire or fervor from the old masteries, this new system is just masteries, but bigger and with a bad UI.

They could make a entirely new mastery tree with a focus on sustained damage ramping up over a short time which would fit with what's missing on a lot of fighters and casters right now or they could have some trees have 4 keystones to choose from, karthus lost a ton of damage without deathfire constantly being applied, ren and trynd and similar lost fervor, almost every single regular ADC goes press the attack which is basically just thunderlords with better numbers for auto attackers, nunu and ivern are having trouble finding a replacement for stoneborn and windspeakers and so on and so on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Sion dying before using the Guardian keystone no longer causes him to lose its functionality

Yay, my bug reported problem got fixed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wasn't kennen also a ADC pick until nerfs swiftly came in?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

People on Reddit who argue about champion viability and meta who are in like silver will never stop being cute

Not rank shaming really but like anything works in an elo where people make so many dumb mistakes and movements

Rank shaming is perfectly valid, silvers and golds are really vocal about balance and really bad and people with the proper game knowledge to get to mid-high diamond by themselves are worth 2-3 silver players and can run consistent 90% winrates in the lower leagues.

I hear something along these lines every day or two and I swear I'm going to snap if I got to listen to another wood league player spend 20 minutes talking about how his lane opponents champion is "so op" "does so much damage" "I can't do anything to him" "riot can't balance anything" like it's the first time anyone has ever seen that champion in the game before as he continues to die and feed the middling strength pick like mundo, trundle or mordekaiser or whatever.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

as your local morgana expert: shes busted AS gently caress rigfht now. you can have multiple black pools up at the same time. she will be nerfed very quickly, maybe even hotfix nerfed. shes at 58% winrate mid.

Yeah, wasn't quite sure what they were thinking with the 5% cdr on her w... per tick... on a ability that ticks 2 times or more per second.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best thing you can do is just personally play well and in chat never try and antagonize the guys who are already being dipshits, force yourself to be positive and not cause back and forth rage chatter and defuse it if others cause it, then if your not being a dipshit yourself, they might even follow your calls for where they should go.

In those lower ranks, just play something that scales late and can melt towers within a single wave, probably with the help of a sheen item, people are notoriously bad at reacting to their towers falling or just basic situational awareness or where they should be in the wood tier ranks and then don't know they shouldn't come at the fed carry 5 levels and 5k gold above anyone else destroying their base 1 by 1 or that they shouldn't send 5 people to chase you while your team does baron either.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like it's hard to find a character magical footwear isn't great on, just hands you 350g and instant item delivery and permanent +10 movement, it's automatically giving you a kills worth of gold and then some.

The numbers seem to back it up with it being the highest win % choice for nearly everyone who takes it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 6, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In a pre-season full of burst damage, taking away the relic shield option to shield a teammate is really gonna suck.

They are doing this the wrong way, people always built the active support items over the sightstone combined items because the actives were fun and impactful, now you just no longer have the option to build the active items.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Volibear overhaul coming when?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I kinda don't like kleptomancy and to a lesser extent bandit, it makes you feel worse in a bad lane when you get poked by the other guy and you can't retaliate when you know that everytime you get poked your potentially giving the guy 100g or a elixir powerup for a few minutes.

In top lane when they have klepto I feel like I don't even want to get into any trades at all with the other guy when you know your just giving them a free kills worth of gold everytime they go back.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Those numbers can't be right for Nunu, there is no way, just casually giving your mid laner a even stronger deathcap which stacks with their deathcap.
Just casually bloodboil karthus and have him requiem to one shot the enemy team, bloodboil literally any poke or pick mage like xerath/lux/zoe/ziggs and just delete anyone who gets hit by anything.

Not to mention Nunu will just slap people to death again with 3 base AD on top of 55 magic damage at 9.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

It's capped at 120 AP it looks like? That's not too insane.

That 120 is going to be multiplied by deathcap, which means it's 162 AP.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

why on earth is it useful to say that ap can be multiplied by deathcap

Because it's supposed to be capped at 120, but most mages build deathcap and can just go beyond what they are supposed to get from it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Because there isn't any other character handing off 120 AP in stats to a second character right now.

I'm not sure what your trying to get at or why it bothers you I brought up deathcap relating to nunu's new thing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

drat rank 5 mundo cleaver does 280 damage base... 280 ad would cost you 9,800 gold... this champ must be broken

Rank 5 mundo cleaver being added to lux's ult would be pretty op.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here are a few things I've experienced the last few days while bouncing between d2 10 lp and d2 80 lp trying to hit d1 that I want to share to get off my chest.

Two enemy team xerath's and a zoe using scripts.
A support xerath on my team that ambushed the support nami at lvl 6, he died 1vs1 with the nami still at 100% health, he ended the game with less damage dealt as full selfish items vs the full support active nami.
A team that was 3 or 4 people autofilled or secondary positions with nearly everyone swapping roles to accommodate, it didn't work out well.
Another game with a guy autofilled to support, he intentionally fed and was level 4 15 minutes in.
Multiple lanes that show no reaction while farming to the enemy jungler walking over wards and scuttle vision and ignore multiple danger pings on the jungler and themselves who then die to that jungler and then type up rants about how much better and fed that jungler is.

There is no rating high enough to escape elo hell.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just going to share this clip I took today.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218154251

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
People are only just now catching on that relic shield is really friggen good in roles other then support and quickly pays for itself, not to mention your jump starting your support into affording sightstone or other items that directly translate to you surviving longer.

Think of it as a cheaper culling, if keeping the culling meant that you continued to generate gold and healing for yourself and others the entire game and eventually became a permanent 300ish hp shield on yourself, with a option later to a second shield active if you don't sell it.

Oh, and you can still buy the culling with it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

I can comb through the yelling and pick out useful tidbits, and i've never been the type of person to mute.

drat the playstyle is so different from DOTA. I absolutely hate being a melee champ and just having the enemy ranged dudes kite me whilst I can't do poo poo against them.

why is top predominantly melee? surely going ranged top means you could just snipe the melee enemy and harass free of charge?

Ranged champs have weaker stats then melee ones generally, melee also tend to have gapclosers, that said certain ranged with their own mobility options or denial can trash certain melee due to skills countering other skills, if the melee champ uses their long cooldown gap closer to get in, then the quinn top bounces them back and blinds them they have no option but to walk away taking damage all the while, on the other hand, someone like malphite can just press R and delete that person when they have enough damage and can stack defense.

Q8ee posted:

edit: another thing I've been meaning to ask: I look at my death recap a lot, and for games where most of the damage from enemy champs seems to be magic, I buy stuff that is magic resist, and vice versa for if it's physical damage. is this a good strat, or should I just stick to the recommended items at all times?

It is wise to mix up your item build based on what the enemy team is, ranged damage dealers can't really fit in the items to get more then one or two defensive items and usually only have a single option for armor or MR that is resists+damage, but as a bruiser with tons of built in damage you should 100% itemize armor or MR for your lane matchup and then the overall enemy team

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

this thread has helped me regain some sanity. I felt like I was clomping around, but the advice / info you guys have given me points me in the right direction and will stop me feeling like I've got no idea what is going on.

as for the roles I think I'd like, I'd love a champion that is tanky and can hold their own, but can also deal burst damage and delete enemies. I also wanna give supporting roles a go, as I'd love looking out for our ADC and keeping them safe and out of trouble, whilst pissing off the enemy.

Sion is a 1350BE tanky tank that is all about the burst damage and peeling your squishies and is satisfying to charge a Q over someones head and has decent engage in his ult and E, he can go in lane and jungle, even mid if you don't mind your team thinking your trolling.
Malphite for more burst damage and power loaded into the R and the ability to walk all over the all too common full AD teams.

Buy up all of the 450BE champs, most of the 1350 champs.

Illaoi is fotm, winning or losing her lane is also entirely decided at champ select, you pick something that can deal with her or you don't deal with her, she trashes melee, gets kited by ranged who just hit her outside of her death fortress of tentacles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Buy up anything that has had a recent overhaul like warwick poppy eve sion and the like.

Sion comes with my highest recommendation if you want to do things like this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/184869799 or save a teammate like this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181949462

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Vayne being meta during tank metas is fine but if you can first pick/blind pick her without expecting to get poo poo on then she's way too strong. I think her pick rate and win rate stats bear this out at the moment.

I feel part of the problem is they overnerfed caitlyn to the point she is by far the weakest adc, without the presence of a early game bully vayne can just coast through laning and then outscale everyone.
Going by the numbers, caits sitting at a 46% winrate overall and vayne is actually her biggest counter since she chases her down and outdamages too easily.

I also feel like the recent buff to Final hour to extend the duration by 3 seconds on any kill or assist was too much, vayne is bullshit tier when she is constantly tumble stealthing and making people have to retarget her, which can result in either clicking the ground and mispositioning by mistake and giving vayne that 0.5 of a second delay to react to her reappearing, all the while making her invulnerable to autoattacks before she appears and just hoping your team has enough champs with untargeted AOE's to drop on where you guess she is.

Vayne and Twitch are both in my bullshit tier of ADCS, both abuse stealth and both are some of the strongest right now.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

At what point is it possible to convince your team to buy Ninja Tabi when literally the entire enemy team is AD... Gold? Plat? Challenger?

Ninja tabi actually isn't going to be doing much good unless the character has health to back it up, 10% less damage from autos sounds big, but if you only got <2000 hp or the majority of the damage is coming from spells like corki, kog, talon, pantheon, zed, ect, your casters would be better off getting their sorc boots.

It's great on tanks however when they have the health pool to make auto attacks the fastest way to take them down because everyone else has to wait for their spells to come off cooldown for several rotations to bring them down otherwise.

tldr: Please stop building tabi on long ranged squishies like Xerath or Lux when Zed is popping you, get a hourglass instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

This is why you take presence of mind on Taric btw. https://m.twitch.tv/videos/221062240?t=01h19m12s

If it didn't have commentators I'd be sure that it was just a solo queue game with one team being challenger with the other being gold with all the positional errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't think I'd mind so many stopwatches in every game if the inspiration tree had actual choices of what to take, stopwatch and free boots compete against actual garbage so they are the default choice when going inspiration.