Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What changed that Teemo support is a thing this patch? Was it trending up and I just missed it? Or did some rear end in a top hat start streaming it.

Either way I queue supp/top and it's nice to be able to ban the same champ always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

duck trucker posted:

That's what I don't get. She already has all kinds of good poo poo but they add that extra range on her E through terrain. Why does she get that as well?

It's Riot's complete and total blindness to see that complexity creep is a thing that actively needs to be managed (shout outs).

Reminder that Zoe not only has these weird intuitive bits of her kit she also adds yet another status effect to the game.

EDIT: I haven't read that in a while, and the bit about how they can make the game a touch simpler by cleaning up armor/MR/armor pen/Mpen is funnier in light of the lethality changes, which is a thing I'm still not sure I understand in detail.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

See, and when I read that "5% CDR stacking" I figured it had to be a typo or something because there's no way they'd let that stick around.

Anyway this is been your daily "riot what the gently caress balance something please" post from a high silver/low gold player.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Those team logos are pretty good and I look forward to being able to buy merch with that poo poo all over it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

I keep adding him to my friends list and sending him vidoes on YouTube for fart fetishes. I don't know why he keeps accepting.

...He has a fart fetish?

Don't kinkshame. :colbert:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I've been playing new poo poo this pre-season so my shop is stocked with champs I don't have skins for.

Not the best skins for any of the champs, but TPA Shen, Full Metal Rammus, and extra fabulous Taric are easy buys. Maybe the Rakan and Braum skins, but Rakan's base is good and I suck rear end with Braum. :geno:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Now that is a mediocre lineup but at least ghost bride morg has one of the more annoying recall sounds in the game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

If you aren't having fun ensuring the yasuo/riven/diana/yi/udyr/whatever solo q bullshit of the week doesn't get to do anything in fights I just don't want to know you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Elephunk posted:

Been playing for the first time since last Friday; coming from Dota 2.

Anything for new players besides the little bit in the OP? I have a group of experienced friends teaching me most things over voice as we go.

When I'm ready to give them money and only want champs - just buy the ones I like that are on 50% off? Are there bigger sales to wait for?

There used to be a newbie thread but it died a slow, languishing death.

I think buying either of the champion bundles that are on sale is a good way to start. They're not horribly expensive and they give you a good base for every role (and to ARAM if you get bored). The digital collector's bundle seems especially well suited to start - I see a great, basic champ or two for every role. The Champions Bundle doesn't have a great jungler (Yi is in there but don't start the game playing Yi). The collector's bundle is also cheaper.

After that, just start building up BE and unlocking champs as they seem interesting to you. Once you lock down a role or two, you can focus on those champs. If you're really desperate you can pay actual money for champions, but you can definitely get away without it, especially now that you don't need to spend funbux on runes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

to me, the defining characteristic of whether or not a game is good is not how often it is patched, but rather, if i enjoy playing it or not.

This is right, I think. Marvel 2 and Third Strike have some very serious balance issues but they’re fun as poo poo to play so no one cares.

Of course, fighting games get to have symmetric mirror matches, which can’t happen in league. :shobon:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Late as gently caress placement report - finished Silver 1 last year, then I was 4-5 going into my last game and expecting to land in mid-bronze, even after wining my last game. Ended up in silver 3 instead, which I’ll take all day.

Why do we get placements at season reset anyway? why not just knock everyone down a bit to get some compression. I can guess what was happening relative MMR-wise in my placements that caused my mediocre record to get me a decent placement, but I was hella demoralized after starting out 0-3 and expecting wood 5.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

They have to have some kind of reset mechanism or else the entire playerbase would just slowly creep up and up and up, and they want the majority to be silver.

Yeah, but placements themselves aren’t necessary to that. Look at Hearthstone.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I think the idea is just to obfuscate the exact details of the compression, honestly. But also placements are sort of exciting for some people.

That makes a lot of sense, especially considering raw MMR is hidden.

Getting excited by placements is a very alien emotion for me, though, haha.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

That's a good summoner name tho

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I’m lower ranked than you but the answer is going to be “post a replay”

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Today in :riot:

• Activating Gragas' W - Drunken Rage while attacking an inhibitor will no longer cause him to path towards the blue side fountain
  • Fixed a bug where Corrupting Potion could not be used if a Mana Potion was currently in use

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I realize it’s a bullshit game mode but spellbinder in ARAM feels like it’ll be sorta funny.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Jungle psychologically has to be the hardest role, because the second someone takes a little too much poke you get constant OMG GANK PLZ and ping spam, then when your top lane zed is 0/8 they spam surrender votes and be all "better jungle wins" in allchat.

Meanwhile, support never takes the blame for anything.

I main support. I am not a strong person.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Radical posted:

trying to figure out the lanes here was a real challenge

I'm going with

Lee top
Shaco Jg
NunuWillump Mid
Quinn Nami bot

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

my favorite crap moba was Fates Forever, until the devs realized they had a decent ad hoc voip solution but had it stapled to an iOS game that no one played, discontinued the MOBA, and now we have Discord.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 9, 2018

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vermain already explained this. It’s not about a character literally being serious, it’s about having a consistent aesthetic/tone in a way that makes them feel like they were designed with a plan. Kai’Sa generic attractive woman plunging neckline look clashes badly with her “survivor of unspeakable horrors, adapted to alien environment” story. It’s compounded by the completely lackluster voice work.

Everything about Ziggs says explosives loving mad man, so when his death animation is him getting blown up by his own nonsense, it’s not a problem. By the way, people probably complained about Eve and MF, but their “generic attractive women” bits were at least somewhat woven into their mechanics and stories...which is why people didn’t complain as loudly.

Sorry if the use of the phrase “taken seriously” is confusing to you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vermain posted:

Champion Roadmap 2018 is out. Aatrox and Akali will be coming out at some point soon, and Nunu's on the table for a full-on VGU. They're also teasing some kind of "dark" playmaking support that, I guess, has something to do with sunken boats or sharks??

They also (somewhat) recently sent out an email asking about Naut’s lore an aesthetics. Maybe the ocean will be the next targon/bilgewater-like event?

Also Phreak is whatever, wake me when we get the CvS2 announcer.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vermain posted:

the second biggest is that getting autofilled can end up feeling even worse, since even getting carried doesn't necessarily mean you're advancing on your "main" role (if your goal is to hit Diamond/Challenger).

They acknowledge that this is a problem and are thinking of ways to fix it. The one mentioned in the article is winning autofilled games giving a bonus to your next main game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I don't keep track of champ designers - is this the product of the same mind that brought you "Morde is now an ADC because one of his skills says 'he shares experience.'"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Erdricks posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Separately, are any of the champ bundles worth the money?

The digital collectors pack - which is, I think, the most expensive bundle - is a nice mix of champs, I think. Options in nearly every lane, with a variety of available styles. For top, you get a splitpusher (Trynd), a tank (Cho/Malphite), and a massive rear end in a top hat Teemo. For jungle, you get pure tanks (Amumu and Rammus), an assassin (Eve), a mage (Fiddle), and a gank-heavy champ (Warwick). Middle, you get a scaling mage (Veigar/Ryze), and a burst mage (Annie). ADC is the weakest in the pack, with only Trist, but her kit is solid basically no matter the state of the game, and ADCs might have the least variety in playstyles anyway (someone will fight me about this I'm sure). Finally, in support, you have a hard engage tank (Ali), the game's premier fun-destroyer (Janna), and however to classify Morgana, who has an absurd root on a medium cooldown and black shield, but doesn't really do a ton of damage.

None of the champs in that pack are mechanically difficult (except Ryze, who didn't used to be but they keep reworking him). Having them permanently unlocked allows you to fool with them for longer than the week of rotation, which may not be enough time for you to get a handle on whether you like them. Also, unlocking all those champs right off lets you pop into ARAM, which can be a fun way to kill some time (but know that it won't help your actual game at all).

The advice to focus on a couple champs is 100% correct, but for figuring out who you want to really dig into, you could do worse than a bundle like this.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Hot take: I can’t stand URF of all sorts because against a certain set of champions you just don’t get to play a game. You just explode instantly or don’t get to move until you die or both. It’s a little better if everyone is playing out of that subset but then you have the problem of a solved meta where only the champions that prevent the other guy from playing are picked.

Hexakill on TT is still my favorite feature mode. It’s high conflict and has enough weird interactions to be novel while still resembling an actual game.

I do appreciate that the special death animations are still enabled in URF tho.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

DaStampede posted:

Holy poo poo Rengar hurts right now as an adc.

My favorite gimmick in the game is probably still Rengar ADC with Ivern support.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

AMAZING!!! CAN YOUTUBE TITLES GET ANY MORE CLICKBAITEY?! YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED

I like his content a lot though. He swings for the fences on clickbait titles and very frequently does gimmick builds, but he's one of the few streamers that consistently explains his game choices.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

That being said, if you're in low elo (you're newer, right?), don't just quit because you're probably going to lose the game. Teams at our level rarely know how or have the coordination to close games in a timely fashion, giving you a chance to get back in. That same lack of gamesense/coordination can also lead to massive throws. Learning to play when behind is also reasonably important, especially if you're playing a champ with even a modicum of utility other than "do damage"

The corollary to that is if you want out of the game for a reason unrelated to the scoreboard - say, your team is spending more time in chat figuring out who to blame than trying to CS - hammer that surrender button so hard you break your mouse.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

support fiddles

I prefer supportlesticks

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vermain posted:

8.12 is winding down on the PBE; you can get a preview at the usual place.

The cursor scaling thing has bothered me ever since I got a 1440 monitor; I don't understand how anyone can play on a 4k monitor.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

el dingo posted:

Comedy option Nautilus, rip deep diver man you were too beautiful for this game

Im weirded out that he’s as bad as he is. He’s a giant (slow moving) ball of CC thats been buffed a bit at a time for, like, a half season now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

I wonder how malphite is vs zed because if you max armour then you really shouldn't be able to die to a zed.

The funnier answer here is Naut, who is in a bad place generally but it’s very satisfying to have Talon or Zed blink onto you then just bonk them on the head, pop a shield, and waddle away.

To be clear, you should not be taking Naut mid in any serious game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

What is Anivias real purpose in the game? She just seems like she just shoves waves and is hard to kill but I dont really understand the kill pressure from her.

Once her poo poo is stacked she does an absurd amount of consistent damage with a stun whose ability to hit scales well with your skill, since you get to gently caress around with their pathing with Wall. She’s also top tier in controlling fights and skirmishes in the jungle.

Also once she shoves a wave she can (very slowly) flap over to a side lane to help get a kill.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

he1ixx posted:

I have read this several times through and found it super helpful. Thanks SO much for spending the time to do that for me. It prompted a few questions.

What is the term "carry" referring to? I hear it in Rainbow Six Siege when you have a person getting all of your kills, they are referred to as carrying your team but this seems different based on the different contexts I read it in.

In your descriptions you mention "This person goes on the top lane" etc. What determines that? Should it be obvious, as indicated by a specific trait or two?

Thanks everybody for the tips.

"Carry" in this context generally means a champ that, if allowed to scale into the late game, will become such a force that they poop out insane amounts of damage and will carry the end game. You can carry a game with anyone if you dominate, but a carry champion is one that's sort of designed for it. While this has traditionally been attack damage carries, the recent meta wonkiness happening in the bot lane means that crit based marksmen (who used to make up a lot of the ADC base) have been hurting real bad.

In terms of who goes where...I used to have something for this, let me see if it was in this thread or another.

EDIT: Found it. Here's a post and what I replied:

How Rude posted:

General Meta:

Top - Tank, Fighter, Assassin (someone with good use of Teleport or can 1v1 very well)
Jungle - Tank, Fighter, a select few Mages or Marksmen work here too
Mid - Assassin, Mage, some marksmen. Generally more immobile champions go here as well as champions with strong wave clearing and ganking.

Bot Lane:
Marksman (ADC) - Ranged auto attacker that is weak early but scales into a powerful DPS machine later in the game as it buys more items
Support - Works with the marksman in bottom lane to defeat the enemy bottom lane (or keep their lane safe). Generally works well with minimum gold intake

"Me posted:

There are, generally speaking, reasons for this set up, too. Midlane has immobile mages because the line of scrimmage is closer to towers and assassins because they can easily wander around the map to exert influence. The dragon means that the lower half of the map is a little more important for early influence, which is why the duo lane is bot and not top. Because Top is removed from that early objective, they tend to do their own thing for a bit longer than other lanes, which makes some sustain important. The isolation also is the reason they most frequently take teleport, which in turn, makes good ability to make ganks (or splitpush) valuable a top laner. Top is probably the single most flexible role though. Tanks get thrown up there a lot, but it isn't horribly uncommon to see casters (morgana), ADCs (Quinn), or champions that make the other player want to rage quit (Teemo, Heimerdinger) take the top lane.

Bot lane being marksmen is true, but because your basic right click champions are in such a weird place at the moment, you're seeing a lot more diversity down there than usual. That being said, when you're just starting or you're in dumpster tier like I am, don't worry too much about what is meta. It's fairly likely that Riot will tweak balances until people can play auto attackers in the bot lane again, eventually.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 3, 2018

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

League has been utterly inaccessible to new players for several years now, almost every major change they make to the game is in the direction of more complexity. They need to either do some significant streamlining and/or hit on whatever their next game is or they're just gonna slowly bleed out.

Didn’t KCW write about complexity creep as it relates to league a while back? That column still affects how I evaluate every new champ design that comes out.

Yeah here we go. I think this was them, anyway.

Smol posted:

I think y’all are focusing far too much League’s popularity. Just play whatever game you find fun and let the game companies worry about their profits.

For a multiplayer game, though, it’s reasonable to be concerned with whether other people enjoy/can get into your favorite game. Ask those poor fucks still grinding away at MvC:I.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The best part of nexus blitz is when you get to SUDDEN DEATH and the Nexuses start beating the poo poo out of each other.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I want to know what play actually looks like down there. I'm in S1-S2 at the moment and see such infuriating poo poo. I can't imagine how completely braindead the play must look that low.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I don't get Zoe and Pike and hate them.

You understand them just fine then.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Someone with a better understanding of the matchmaking system can respond to the rest but...

Enigma89 posted:

What happens at the end of a season and a start of a new one? There are the rank rewards that are distributed and then does the new season start up automatically? What happens to your rank into the new one? Do you start out at the same rank or same MMR with your new calibration games?

The season will end in early November, and your final rank will be noted. After a bit, you’ll get end of season rewards - borders, a skin if you’re gold or higher, and whatever they decide on this year. Probably an icon or a ward or something.

There will be a couple months of pre-season before the new ranked season starts, which won’t affect your rewards, but will affect your MMR. During this time, look forward to relatively major changes to the game. Systems reworks, class reworks, and jungle changes typically go here. They screwed that up a bit this season with crab meta and the ADC debacle, but I’m sure they won’t miss the opportunity to fiddle with things.

Once the season starts up, you’ll have to complete another set of placements, just like you did when you started. But since you have an MMR, the games won’t be quite as swingy. Expect to place a couple divisions lower than you ended the previous season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

If I didn't have the rubber band I would be higher because I was within 3lp of promos already. Knowing that is really loving frustrating and tilts me more than any inter or feeder. This rubber band pisses me off so much that it makes me want to not play anymore. So I am tempted to just wait for the season to start over and having my MMR be recalibrated.

I cannot imagine finding the time to play a thousand games of ranked then hitting tilt off of having to play one more to get to my **~~true rank~~**