Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

One thing I think riot is worse at than they used to be is making champion kits with emergent complexity rather than hard-coding it in. I think the difference between Irelia Q and Yasuo E is a good demonstration of this - they both achieve the same general effect of high mobility within minion waves but with vastly different amounts of 'rules text'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think Azir might be the only champ that's been made simpler since release - they got rid of both his knockup and his CDR to attack speed conversion thingy

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Monathin posted:

I have to assume Morde is on the rework block after Swain in terms of 'complete' overhaul. He remains the jankiest, buggiest champ on the roster.

Irelia is after Swain and then Aatrox after that. There's still a bunch of janky old champs they seem unwilling to touch

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

d0grent posted:

Why are they reworking irelia she's fine

something something "stat-checky". I think she's got fine gameplay already, and they're keeping the Q which is her primary mechanic anyway, so hopefully it won't be as much of an overhaul as the others on the kit side.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Volibear needs a VGU even more badly than Morde I think. Will be really surprised if he doesn't enter the queue next year.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gowb posted:

Irelia has easily the most terrible ult in the game, it feels completely awful to use and is super low impact

it's strong with sheen/trinity force and can be used to prime a minion wave for Sick Plays with her Q. The healing can turn duels as well. It's not flashy but pretty far from the worst in the game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nunu needs a Sion level reboot even if they keep him as a jungle control guy

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Trundle ult feels pretty lame because of how hard it is to see anything happening

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think every 'VGU' since Sion has been good and all of the duds have come from the 'class reworks' where they rework a bunch of champs at once. They seem to have stopped doing those luckily.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

That's basically the whole point of her, she's an assassin despite what she's supposed to be

She's supposed to be whatever Leblanc and Ahri are, that sort of mage/assassin hybrid. I think being able to blow someone up from 800 range disqualifies you from being a pure assassin.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

There's plenty of RNG still in the game, including some added recently like Zoe's W drops from minions and Kindred's jungle marks

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

Nasus benefitted a lot from runes, Dark Harvest, free CDR and Transcendence runes, etc but he's still terrible

Nasus has a good winrate with certain rune setups mostly involving the inspiration tree

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ascension is still the only alternate game mode they've made that I will willingly play without a strong incentive

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

teemo still procs aery twice on one autoattack but it does 5 less damage now so its "okay"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Vermain posted:

Hey, speak of the devil! Guess what just popped up on the PBE:

Guess that's one way to solve it. Sucks to be pigeonholed into a single keystone choice, but it's better than nothing for most fighters.

That only solves it for the tankier ones, renekton doesn't want to take the health tree. Having only assassin- and mage-oriented keystones in the trees that give flat damage is the problem.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

njsykora posted:

I mean Skarner's been in the dumpster where he belongs for about 5 years so the system works.

Skarner was decent to good for seasons 4-7 even though no one played him, until this preseason where he finally actually sucks now

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the last 60% midlaner was Ahri in season 5 when they removed DFG and buffed her a bunch in compensation even though DFG wasn't actually important on her

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

turns out kat's reset mechanics are loving broken when no one has resists

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Aatrox is still really good at killing people at level 2 if they don't understand how he works

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wasnt aatrox buffed both as a champion and also with the thorn mail nerfs and sunfire buffs making grievous wounds less common

bramble vest still shits on aatrox, tanks aren't suddenly not going to buy it vs him just because of a nerf. 1k gold to auto win lane is too easy to pass up

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

red kayn is basically what aatrox should have been

he's back in the rework queue again now so expect aatrox 3.0 some time this year. until then he's an okay top laner who's really good at cheesing level 3 kills on people who don't know how good his early damage is, and then falls off into a crappy split pusher the moment people buy defensive items

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Irelia's far enough along that they already brought in the high ranked irelia mains to test it

In general the last 3 divers they released (kled, camille, new warwick) are all really fun champs so I'm optimistic about irelia and aatrox

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

camille is lovely right now because of keystones but they're making new ones so expect her to be back with a vengeance, which is good because not 100% of the top laners in the game have a 55% win rate right now

also i bought swain and ornn from key shards yesterday because i dont know why

Camille is actually pretty good now, they gave her a small buff and everyone realized that she's supposed to use comet and not press the attack and now she's one of the better performing fighters

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

like 99% of the weird imbalances this preseason are just from everyone having 5-10 less armor and MR at the start of the game and I wish they would address it directly rather than messing with all the items that were balanced around the old setup

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The trend of people not wanting to play out winnable games when they're even a little bit behind has gotten progressively worse every year that I've played this game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The 450 BE (lowest) champion tier is surprisingly good these days, it's got a lot of old champs that have held up well, and even has a couple champs that were recently rebooted and are essentially new champ quality (Poppy and warwick).

1350 tier is where most of the real antiquated garbage resides.

You shouldn't have to spend money on champs in this game, just play free week ones until you know what you like and then get them with BE.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

You need map awareness to play Fiora now because your opponent will rush bramble vest and become unfightable until like 2 items and you'll have to make plays elsewhere to get ahead

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Poppy is a fun tank who's in the 450 tier and can burst carries down if she can get a wallstun on them. she got a full rework a couple years ago so she's basically new champ quality design despite being in the bargain bin price tier.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Vermain posted:

I was surprised, too, but some dude on Reddit did a statistical analysis of winrate gains as a function of total games played to try and determine which champs have the highest/lowest skill floors. Tahm Kench had one of the highest skill floors out of any champion, with people gaining something crazy like +10% winrate after 100+ games. I'd have to find the analysis again to be sure (it was in a big Google doc), but he's genuinely difficult to play optimally.

from what i recall any time someone does one of these analyses all the classic 'high skill' champs rate out average and the top is all the weird kiteable melees like udyr and singed

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Vayne being meta during tank metas is fine but if you can first pick/blind pick her without expecting to get poo poo on then she's way too strong. I think her pick rate and win rate stats bear this out at the moment.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Swain will be the dark souls of league of legends champions

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think trying to support the lethality items on ADCs is what upset the bottom lane ecosystem. It's hard to get lane bullies into the right spot when they have access to snowball items with easy build paths while other champs don't have a choice and need to farm out bigger items.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kindred is a pretty unusual champion in that you have a special mechanic that only really works in the jungle role. Most champions aren't hard-forced into roles like that but she is. she's not really a good introduction to the game at all since she functions a bit differently from both other junglers and other carries, but hey, play what you want.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I thought Illaoi was more reasonable to fight against back when she had to level Q first to unlock more of her damage, but they reworked her so that E max doesn't have as much of a damage trade-off and now the windows to punish her are smaller because her E cooldown gets low during laning phase. As an Irelia player, it went from a fairly even matchup to the hardest matchup in the game after that rework, and i suspect that's also true for other melee champs with no ranged fallback.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

just make relic shield executes melee only and buff thresh's base stats if he sucks with coin. it's not hard

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

From looking around, and at Lolalytics, it seems like people usually grab Rylais after the Hextech Icegun thingamajig? Presumably for the burst it provides in conjunction with his combos. Would you say stick with that or rush Rylais even prioritizing over that?

GLP is needed for mana/sustain and the active helps you start fights or get divers off you, you should always get that first. Rylais second item is good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Man, when are they gonna juice up Aatrox? He sucks so bad but I can't stop playing him...

Before this new rune system you could go all out on AS runes and masteries and get a 40% AS boost right off the bat, which then allowed you to build tanky stuff, which meant you didn't supersuck. Now it's more of a struggle than ever.

he's in the queue for a full rework later this year so i wouldn't get too attached to his current iteration.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Silver 5 is like half the playerbase

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i would not try to team fight on yorick without the maiden, so much of his damage is locked behind it especially if you're fighting at a neutral objective where you can't raise ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

um isn't Lux like the only mage that can't farm well with one spell rotation? Ziggs and Velkoz would be pretty straightforward jumps from zyra though.