Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
In LIfe is Feudal you build up a settlement, arm yourself, build strong walls etc. You do this instead of murderhoboing both because everything takes a really long time to make, being good at combat requires a ton of infrastructure, but also because there's an alignment system where you can rapidly gently caress yourself over by murderhoboing. Additionally most people hang out on claims, where they can declare you a trespasser if you are on the claim. As long as you're declared trespasser they can do whatever to you without losing alignment.

Instead PVP tends to take place in structured contexts where you don't lose alignment, such as sieges, and an "hour of judgement" that happens on a schedule a few times (?) per week where all alignment rules are lifted for an hour server-wide.

The way alignment works is, once per in-game day you can pray to god for half an alignment point. In-game days are 3 hours long. If you commit crimes, such as stealing from owned containers or corpses, hurting or killing people, you RAPIDLY lose alignment. The lower your alignment, the more XP you lose on death. If it drops below a certain amount you're redname meaning that people can do whatever to you without losing alignment. If you drop below -50 you can't bring your alignment above -50 without being absolved by the pope, which is this whole other thing (and the server doesn't have a pope yet).

So going crim is an extremely good way to destroy your character since you can drive down your skill so low that you can't use any real weapons and can't maintain infrastructure to fix that because people can destroy it at all times without consequences. Some people on the server are experimenting with having a crim alt who uses their main's guild's infrastructure to fix deaths, but just keep in mind that if you go that route you're going to wind up spending a ton of time post-death wacking training dummies to get your stats back.

The way this goes is, this is a game for game of thrones wars & poo poo, banditry is painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Does this game have like, MMO classes like stealthy assassins or something? Is assassinating people in the wilderness/open fun/fruitful? How easy is it to pick your engagements or escape from people jumping you?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Does this game have like, MMO classes like stealthy assassins or something? Is assassinating people in the wilderness/open fun/fruitful? How easy is it to pick your engagements or escape from people jumping you?

You have a finite number of skillpoints/hours in your life, so specialization is rewarded.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i saw in the op's discord that nothing is secure client side. wonder how long before teleporting mans who one shot you appear

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Blazing Zero posted:

i saw in the op's discord that nothing is secure client side. wonder how long before teleporting mans who one shot you appear

paging fauxtool

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

It's not your standard mmo so you can't think of this one in normal mmo terms

Short answer to all your questions is no

Our village of like 30 players hasn't produced a single weapon yet

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
slings are weapons

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Blazing Zero posted:

Incorrect. Everything has a server side check and stops us.

Except for making items INSANELY huge or setting your camera SUPER far in the air. Both of which don't really destroy the game like speed hacking, etc.

We're going to report those.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SabinBlitz posted:

Incorrect. Everything has a server side check and stops us.

Except for making items INSANELY huge or setting your camera SUPER far in the air. Both of which don't really destroy the game like speed hacking, etc.

We're going to report those.

Pretty much this. Keeping all the game .dlls in their current format might be an issue later on, but there are server sanity checks on pretty much everything except comical proportion abuse.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

so how much dirt do i have to dig before i find the buried fun in the mines

e: is there a pay for fun (p4f) cash shop in this game?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If you aren't playing -- consider it. Good goon group so far, fun game.

Also if you own Life is Fuedal: Your Own, you get it for free

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I ended up dropping $10 on the virtual currency to get a character to the mainland.

Didn't realize you got a free one when you've owned YO, although I have a LIF account and it's linked and verified with steam and there was no obvious way to redeem it.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
80% of twitch streams are people flattening ground with shovels. If I join in what are the chances that I'm going to spend hours upon hours flattening ground?

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal

Uncle Spriggly posted:

80% of twitch streams are people flattening ground with shovels. If I join in what are the chances that I'm going to spend hours upon hours flattening ground?

Starting out, that is a lot of the game if you're planning/building right. We've done a lot already, but still likely we'll need to do more. We've been doing the terraforming in larger groups to make it go quicker.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Uncle Spriggly posted:

More than hours. You will spend your days toiling in the dirt, loving the dirt, being one with the dirt. This game is a " I hate myself simulator". Plus I think the majority of twitch streamers are in smaller groups, the Euro group I am with is pretty large, I think at the moment we are pushing 100 members with just our guild, not including anyone else in the alliance. You gotta find a niche in this game that you can spend hours doing.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Being able to queue up infinite actions certainly helps, but for stuff like training combat skills you are gonna need scripts.

Speaking of, scripting is condoned by the admins.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

imagine making an mmo so bad you give the thumbs up to botting. jesus wept

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was about to start heading towards the settlement location before I realized; it's probably NA only right now?

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

So I DO play on the EU server with a try-hard group. The ping isn't that bad coming from East coast USA. Apart of a bigger alliance of players that have a little bit of knowledge about the game. Honestly don't know if they are recruiting or not atm, however if anyone does want to come over his me up on private messages. Everything is covered from farmers to blacksmiths, so honestly what you would want to do is up to you. The majority of the players are EU of course, so the U.S time players are roughly 20-30% of the current player base. There is structure and the group itself is of an older age of players. I do recommend helping out the goon group on the NA server.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's the ticket off the newbie island that you only get one of? Is it sort of their weird way of buying character slots? Can I buy extra tickets?

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

hayden. posted:

What's the ticket off the newbie island that you only get one of? Is it sort of their weird way of buying character slots? Can I buy extra tickets?

If you owned a copy of YO, you have to Authenticate your steam account to the lifeisfeudal website, once then you get 1 ticket. If you purchased any of the founders packs you gain up to, 4 tickets I think. But every ticket costs 10 bucks, only usable once. Even if you try to go to the EU server.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I want to like this but all the videos I can find are people staring at the ground harvesting stuff or digging. And I'm afraid the combat is going to be like Rust where I'm just a casual getting destroyed by teenagers who yell racial slurs at me and steal all my poo poo.

How viable is archery in this? Can I just sit behind a wall and shoot people?

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

hayden. posted:

I want to like this but all the videos I can find are people staring at the ground harvesting stuff or digging. And I'm afraid the combat is going to be like Rust where I'm just a casual getting destroyed by teenagers who yell racial slurs at me and steal all my poo poo.

Look up videos by Blood Vikings for some pvp archery stuff. Yes you can, You'll end up hitting goons more but hey, that's always a plus.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

hayden. posted:

PVP isn't too terribly level-dependent, you can definitely beat people with better gear if you have the numbers. Archery is very viable.

Be ready to grind though, it can be pretty punishing starting out.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I'm starting an offshoot project if anyone's interested in spreading the good word of Holza the spinner.

It might transition to something a bit more explosive later :dukedoge:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This game is basically a better version of AoC and Salem. Consider the fact that you can script stuff and take the tedium out of the way. Also consider many of the goons playing now are the ones going uphill in the snow. Likely a week from now everyone who starts will just get free poo poo and be told to kill people or "do whatever". Also consider you can get your skills up if you want to do whatever.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also things will get way easier once someone unlocks cooking. Then EVERYONE will be able to get a skill boost, let alone the premium subs.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I beat a man to death with a cooking pot.

Game good.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

This game is basically a better version of AoC and Salem. Consider the fact that you can script stuff and take the tedium out of the way. Also consider many of the goons playing now are the ones going uphill in the snow. Likely a week from now everyone who starts will just get free poo poo and be told to kill people or "do whatever". Also consider you can get your skills up if you want to do whatever.

Basically this. A large number of us are slogging it to get the crafting bonus buildings, housing, food, and other poo poo, people coming later will be able to just dive in and have more instant fun :toot:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Today we forcibly vassalized 3 pubbie clans into our Kingdom and it was glorious. I hope someone took screenshots or something.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We just loving stomped some group too, they ran like cockroaches and killed one myself. Goon hegemony is spreading- and fast. Give your body to the Humongous!

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Here is where the fun starts from this guild leader of People with DIRT's point of view.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/204254232?t=04h10m48s

After the initial "we're under attack" we, the goons, were debating for a bit on whether to just murder them or not so you may need to skip ahead abit to get to more good stuff. Next point of reference should be about 4h and 22min'ish.

This guy gets LEGIT upset. He was calling us stream snipers and all that poo poo when we didn't even know he was streaming until someone joined our discord to tell us he was. LOL

To be fair watching the stream we came storming in just as some of his guys were logging back in.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 26, 2017

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yall had me at "harassing self important streamers"

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

For those that may be thinking of jumping in or those that have.

Max Willpower THEN Agility.

Max Slinger.

Those are the most helpful/most grindy stats/combat skill in this game and the most useful.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol have fun with obliterati

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

30.5 Days posted:

thanks

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
The twitch video really gets good, "I will literally drown you in bodies"

astropika fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 26, 2017

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

30.5 Days posted:

Don't know what happened but really sorry to see you go man.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Someone who can edit videos has to make a clip where the guy goes "I'm nobody's bitch", then cut right to the part where he's capitulating and surrounded by goons pelvic thrusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Someone who can edit videos has to make a clip where the guy goes "I'm nobody's bitch", then cut right to the part where he's capitulating and surrounded by goons pelvic thrusting.

Someone please do this!

• Locked thread