Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The French have a pretty solid plan at the moment and are correctly focused on getting past the second trench before flanking the German defenses.

The one big question in my mind is whether the hidden German wire & obstacles cause a massive traffic jam before they can break out. At least they only have one brigade heading directly into the Briar Patch, the rest should be able to divert left around them while they struggle through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

It should be interesting to see if the French MANAGE to break past the second trench system.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Uh am I blind or did the French artillery commander just order 6 rounds of fire on their own trenches? Please please PLEASE let nobody else notice or override that until the deadline is passed.

E: Aw man they already changed it. I was hoping for some Paths of Glory action :(

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the plan very much seems to be "advance, it'll be fine". I doubt there's actually much conditional planning they could meaningfully do, but it certainly leaves the door open for 1915 style post-assault paralysis where everything is a mess and nobody knows what to do.

e: immediately after I write that, I read Bacarruda's orders which are pretty well detailed with contingencies.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
No Players' survey this time around?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Cat Wings posted:

It should be interesting to see if the French MANAGE to break past the second trench system.

I reckon they will, what could possibly stand against a massed bayonet charge and French élan :france:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The French are gonna run headlong into wire they can't see between them and the second trench line while getting shot to bits by artillery and machineguns, I wouldn't call it a sure thing.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I agree, it's not going to be easy. There's definitely potential for the charge to turn into chaos and confusion once the French get past the first trench. If the glorious charge becomes gruesome close combat in trenches it'll be entertaining for us at least :munch:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 0

I'm loving jazzed for this, you understand, but all I can see is rolling dice until my hands fall off

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Turn 0

I'm loving jazzed for this, you understand, but all I can see is rolling dice until my hands fall off

Did you hide the German Engineers? I don't see any on the map.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
That poor, lonely little unit about to get absolutely destroyed at the foot of La Crepe

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like the French picked the right place to attack alright.

Also - while I'm 100% sure it won't amount to anything - man oh man that French artillery park with absolutely no infantry between it and the Germans on La Oeuf. Shame the Germans don't have much of anything there to support an advance from there.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It does look like the French attack is going absolutely out on a limb there. The closest unit is miles away.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah there's only like half a dozen companies between them and all their objectives, but on the other hand if they do get stopped somehow, the entire west half of the map is gonna be open for the Germans to just casually gobble up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, them leaving that much space probably isn't going to hurt them at all, only because the Germans will presumably be much more preoccupied with trying to shore up their own back line.

Flesnolk (from the German team) posted:

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

The French have taken half the field by the first day’s end.

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

The French have taken the entire field by the first day’s end.

I lol'd.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I think a lot hinges on how hard it is to crack those redoubts. The Germans have done a good job of hardening the hell out of them but there's only so many guns inside and so many angry Frenchmen wanting to get in. If the French get tied up trying to secure the top of Oeuf it gives the Germans time to respond.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Flesnolk talking about redeeming himself for salty tantrums from last game, starts throwing salty tantrums before this one even starts

worst player EU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If the Germans had put a barricade in the trench behind their Dejeuner redoubts they would be basically invincible, but with that hole open the French might be able to get inside. It'll still be a total bloodbath trying to attack uphill against emplaced MG's/artillery, but it could be doable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

mossyfisk (Germany) posted:

well that answers one question

Queue a rain of shells falling on one third of the French artillery?

Upon further inspection, the Germans can see quite a few of the French gunpits, but not the other way 'round.

The German POV:

The French POV:

Looking at it this way, the Germans have a whole lot of artillery that is going to be in just the right place. Meanwhile the French are going to walk a shitload of fire on to one company, leaving the position of the Germans in the forest trenches more or less untouched. The Bois de Bacon is going to be a loving bloodbath.

Commissar Kip (France) posted:

Then we'll start following the our barrage orders:

Turn 1-3 concentrate fire on the wire at the first trench going left to right by batteries following a sweeping pattern (the red arrow is the direction of the sweep).
Turn 4-6 concentrate fire on the trench line moving up and down behind the wire following a sweeping pattern (the blue arrow is the direction of the sweep).
Turn 7-10 concentrate fire on the trench running through Bois de Bacon following a sweeping pattern (the yellow arrow is the direction of the sweep).
Turn 10-12 concentrate fire on the trench line to the right side of the redoubt following a sweeping pattern (the green arrow is the direction of the sweep).
Turn 13+ we'll see if we'll unlimber and move forward, but we'll see if we get word to move from then.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 1, 2017

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm looking forward to the French team's reaction to the Germans segmenting their trenches.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Who won the football match in this timeline's Christmas Truce?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Who won the football match in this timeline's Christmas Truce?

The barbed wire

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Looking at all those undermanned redoubts and terrifying gaping holes in the line I really wonder if they shouldn't have gone with a couple more MG pits.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Looking at both sides already losing people to observer mode and feeling pessimistic, it's clear whoever has the most elan will carry the day. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That's how it normally goes. Players break well before formations. I'm yet to see a heroic fight back in one of these things.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
When I was Corps I had a breakdown, tried to hide it from everyone, then I went ecstatic when I thought we were going to smash the game, then we didn't, then I had another breakdown and didn't bother hiding it anymore because I thought the game was over. Plenty of people never get past the first breakdown.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

full German narrative up, full French narrative tomorrow, here's Observ-O-Vision, time for bed

all future rounds are going to have to be on a smaller scale again, I have no idea how I did the larger scale for two battles last time

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

The Germans super lucked out with their artillery park escaping intact, that's really going to come back and bite the French later. Losing a good chunk of their own guns certainly doesn't help either.

The French can probably take St Croissant but they'll have to be extremely lucky to hold it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man the French smashed through there so hard it's a miracle they managed the right turn instead of just hurtling comically off the Northern map edge

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 2, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh drat that went far better than I thought it would, good call on the night attack I guess. But the French are probably in for a real bad time without all that arty.

Also:

Trin posted:

Mordcongalinie

fuckin' lol

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I figured that was a good place for the French to push but :staredog:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I've been following both Discords and lemme tell ya, "discord" is a pretty appropriate name for the German one.

Flesnolk's defeatism carries on. He's posted about thirty variations on "all is lost" by now. I have to say, I think playing with him would be difficult. The slightest hint of a setback and the doomsaying begins. Didn't utterly crush the French assault in the first phase before they even reach the trenches? We're hosed, Trin stacked the deck because he hates us all, we might as well surrender. I had some sympathy before the resolution, but it waned rapidly once he said (outright) that the GM was loving his side over. Consider: The scenario is designed to be fun. It is designed so that both sides should, under most circumstances, be able to achieve some of their objectives. Should flaws emerge in play, the GM can and will make alterations, such as by changing the speed, quantity, and/or nature of reinforcements.

HerpicleOmnicron5, counter to expectations, is approaching things in a fairly savvy way, I think. He's pushing for charge ambush out of village outskirts as a force multiplier. With the leading French brigades depleted I'd say that has a good chance of forcing morale checks and slowing the advance.

The Belgian (I think) has suggested an attack on the opposite flank on the grounds that the French right should be extremely weak. I'm not sure the Germans are strong enough right now to accomplish that, but I suspect there will be some incentive to try in future.

As always, player morale is likely to be key. At least a few of the Germans remain confident or at least enthusiastic, but if I were them I'd worry about defeatism poisoning the well.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
hey trin, how did the germans retreat from their redoubt? It looks like they needed to cross a barricade to do that.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

How possible is something like a skirmish action under the rules? With all that success on their big push, it would also be fun to send a few troops on the right to poke at the German lines around Nainville and see if you could provoke an "Oh god we're doomed it's over" failure cascade.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Interesting how things have gone! Nice so far. the French have a substnatial penetration, depends whether they can exploit it or not. They've lost a good chunk of their arty (seemingly) but have ground through one flank. Once the German panic sets down will be interesting to see how they handle this and whether the French try and attack further or exploit this or keep the pressure up.

Also did the French did a much better job planning on hitting the extreme flank and punching through it in force than the Germans were ready to defend zones and plan thier setup I think.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 2, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I figured that was a good place for the French to push but :staredog:

Not only was it a good place to push, the Germans made it the most undermanned section of the line. The French lucked out immensely.

Serves the Boche bastards right for loving with my legacy

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Not only was it a good place to push, the Germans made it the most undermanned section of the line. The French lucked out immensely.

Serves the Boche bastards right for loving with my legacy

So the Germans had a bad defensive plan/deployment and the French hit them right where they were teh weakest by planning and bit of luck.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Istvun posted:

hey trin, how did the germans retreat from their redoubt? It looks like they needed to cross a barricade to do that.

Got out of the trench, ran through their own wire in No Man's Land, two of them got shot down, then they jumped back in again. It's their own barricade, they know where it is, they can go round it where an invader would have to stop and wait for it to be pulled down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Reviewing the map for the French, seems like they did better than originally thought. Nice going by the Entente team!

• Locked thread