Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i had a really rough emergency tooth extraction yesterday so i wont be visiting relatives. kind of sucks , cause i wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

My MIL's stuffing is always soggy and slimy. I hate it.

Stuffing is loving easy!

The secret is bacon! Just cut up a piece of bacon really finely, mix it in with breadcrumbs and whatever herbs people like, and stuff the hell out of the bird.

They say to use an egg in the mix, but screw that. It doesn't have to be eggy. Turkey juice sticks it together. For once it is nice to have a sorta dry stuffing that actually tastes good. Turkey stuffing can be slightly dry, because that's better than slimy, and you might not get much juice into it. But the bacon pieces are heavenly.

Tell you mother in law to cut the hell down on whatever oil she uses in her stuffing. Of course, if it's your mother in law, you have to be a little bit circumspect, or, if you want to engage her on her level, you can engage in passive aggressive warfare, and compete to be the world's biggest martyr.

It's pretty drat prestigious. To be the Biggest Martyr, to suffer the most for family. To clean up the most and do the most washing. It's not gender-specific either. But remember, you have to complain like gently caress about it at every second while cleaning other peoples' crap. Otherwise you're not the biggest martyr.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Don't make the rookie mistake of eating so much that getting drunk is hard.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

old beast lunatic posted:

Don't make the rookie mistake of eating so much that getting drunk is hard.

you're not trying hard enough to get drunk

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My Thanksgiving will consist of 4 people, the way God intended.
I sometimes miss the really old days when like 12+ would come to my grandparents house, but mainly for the huge poker games after.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the last couple years at thanksgiving with my gf all the adults would get one of those tiny Lime-a-Rita cans and it would actually seem like some of them got buzzed. i'm 90% sure none of those 20 people actually drink outside of thanksgiving.

always pack a flask folks. always.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Smythe posted:

thanksgiving was a bigger event when the grandparents were alive and there were little kids around. now everyone is old and the grandparents are dead. rip. neither me nor any of my cousins have children, so its pretty boring.the family is split between ny and la so people dont gather anymore without the old matriarchs to force them. maybe if we have kids we'll get our poo poo together, maybe not. interesting to me to see a family ebb and flow.

See, I grew up on the opposite side of the country from everyone else in my family, so I've never experienced a big "family" Thanksgiving, it was just me, my brother, and my parents. It was only special because it was the one time per year we got to eat turkey or stuffing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tom Gorman posted:

always pack a flask folks. always.

Yeah, that's Christmas for me, my family doesn't drink, so I have to pack my own and be extra sneaky about it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm in Canada now and we did this poo poo last month. I miss having the 4 day weekend

Also you should be playing this song at some point on Thursday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

you're not trying hard enough to get drunk

yeah, just stick to liquor and you'll be set

beer is a waste of space

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm lucky. My dad's a drunk, like me. So at least we can both get wasted on his good wine while the rest of the family carries on.

Draconi Ann
Oct 4, 2006

I am an Angel of the Lord.

a hole-y ghost posted:

dude I'm glad you've eaten some good turkeys but most people can't cook turkeys very well. I guarantee you that on thursday like 95% of the people eating turkey will be chewing their way through super dry-rear end tasteless bird.
So true. Honestly most Thanksgiving food just reminds me of the poo poo we eat all winter in the Midwest. Green beans...from a can! Cranberries...from a can! Etc. I’d rather have Mexican food.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you're not drunk you ate too much.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Hell Yeah posted:

if you're not drunk you ate too much.

The key is to wait until you're real drunk to eat. After a certain point you can eat an almost infinite amount and not feel full.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you start drinking at 10am while prepping the food and finish at 9pm when you pass out on teh sofa after drinking wine solidly that entire time

well for christmas i don't celebrate thanksgiving

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

IronClaymore posted:

I'm lucky. My dad's a drunk, like me. So at least we can both get wasted on his good wine while the rest of the family carries on.

this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dad going into the basement to get The Good Wine. Nervous to wash The Good China while Drunk on The Good Wine. Thanksgiving.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Green bean casserole looks and tastes like some garbage dish pulled out of the back of a Betty Crocker cookbook from the late fifties. If you like it it is because you grew up with it and it brings back happy memories of when Grandma did not give a gently caress and made the shittiest side dish ever. It is Stockholm syndrome in casserole form.

Edit:
I was close, Invented by Campbells in 1955.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean_casserole

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 21, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Smythe posted:

dad going into the basement to get The Good Wine. Nervous to wash The Good China while Drunk on The Good Wine. Thanksgiving.

my parents went on a holiday to Porto and my dad has gotten really into good quality port

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Draconi Ann posted:

So true. Honestly most Thanksgiving food just reminds me of the poo poo we eat all winter in the Midwest. Green beans...from a can! Cranberries...from a can! Etc. I’d rather have Mexican food.

Like lol where do you live in the Midwest you don't have fresh produce during winter? Honestly you're just making poo poo up

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Like lol where do you live in the Midwest you don't have fresh produce during winter? Honestly you're just making poo poo up

I don’t think he was implying that the Midwest is without fresh produce.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Big Beef City posted:

I love people who do this.

"My God. There's no turkey. Peter there's no turkey! Where is the loving TURKEY OH MY GOD NO"

My boyfriend is pescatarian (that's the word for vegetarian but eats fish, right?) so he gets fish at holiday meals.

Second year I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with my BF's family rather than going home, and it's more fun, since my family is a bunch of sadsacks at the holidays anyway. Only thing that's weird is how bent out of shape my BF got because his aunt asked us to make/bring a coconut cake or pie because it's their daughter in law's favorite. I'm kind of bent out of shape because holy crap, have baking extracts always been so loving expensive?!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If there are deviled eggs I always eat a bunch and get the egg farts :twisted:

deviled eggs own

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ham owns it just shouldn't be the only meat

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
i love mashed potatoes with salt and butter like the fat retarded child I am.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I saw the TSA laugh when my checked bag w/a huge steel growler full of nog went through

Hopefully they don't drink it all

Drinking an airport bloody Mary rn waiting for the edibles to kick in

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

old beast lunatic posted:

i love mashed potatoes with salt and butter like the fat retarded child I am.

Don't feel bad. I'm an even bigger retard because I actually prefer them kinda lumpy instead of just straight creamy or whatever.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The key to holiday mashed potatoes is just keep adding cream and butter and salt and a little sour cream till you die of a heart attack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roast some garlic to mash with the potatoes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

poverty goat posted:

I saw the TSA laugh when my checked bag w/a huge steel growler full of nog went through

Hopefully they don't drink it all

Drinking an airport bloody Mary rn waiting for the edibles to kick in

If it was checked how did you see them react to it at all, they don't scan it at checkin.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If it was checked how did you see them react to it at all, they don't scan it at checkin.

They do at Norfolk international

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Honky Dong Country posted:

Don't feel bad. I'm an even bigger retard because I actually prefer them kinda lumpy instead of just straight creamy or whatever.

lumpy mashed potatoes are the superior mashed potatoes, those lumps remind you that you're alive!

Jose posted:

Roast some garlic to mash with the potatoes

This is good too

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
very educated and correct mashed potato goon opinions itt

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Skins in :twisted:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
add some fresh parmigiano-reggiano to your mashed potats

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

lumpy mashed potatoes are the superior mashed potatoes, those lumps remind you that you're alive!

both very good opinions

mashed potatoes without lumps/skins are basically baby food

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
gonna mash those tats directly into my food hole

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Finally, my smashed tuber opinion has been validated.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

both very good opinions

mashed potatoes without lumps/skins are basically baby food

Agreed. One year my mom wanted to do instant potatoed and nobody was happy and there was so much passive aggressiveness about the poatoes that she never did it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Agreed. One year my mom wanted to do instant potatoed and nobody was happy and there was so much passive aggressiveness about the poatoes that she never did it again.

Working as intended then

If you're gonna ruin Thanksgiving just call out your racist uncle for voting Trump, don't ruin the loving food

• Locked thread