Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

72000 lumens :catstare:

Between the lights and exhaust fan, your neighbors are gonna think you're growing stuff in there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

randomidiot posted:

LED pucks that can be hung and have a cord?

Got a link for those, or did you fabricobble them out of regular pucks? If those are commercially available, I'm ready. :allears:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8RDF8F/

I've got the 100W version of this one, it's painfully bright. The lumen numbers are different but those are almost universally made up and inaccurate anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Good call on the flex hose for the compressor. I’ve already posted how I broke the fitting off of my cooler by using a rigid connection, even thought the cooler is mounted to the compressor.
Still gotta fix that.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
I had decided I wanted some sort of colour in the garage, some sort of a two tone paintjob, like an old shop. Naturally, I selected gray and black for my splashes of colour!
(In all honesty, there will be enough colour from the cars, tools and whatnot, so I wanted to keep the walls somewhat neutral.

The photos really make the space seem small. A reminder, its 33'x25'.

I decided to paint the support pole yellow for two reasons. One, it looks more industrial and two, I kept walking into it :/ .

Next, I wanted to take advantage of the tall ceilings and add some storage. The shelves would also double as light mounts for later workbenches.

You may have noticed these frames in earlier shots. They are lag bolted into the studs and supported on the front via steel cables. I can sit/climb on them without anything moving.

They will be continuous along the entire wall outline.

Trim added around the doors. I will paint them later to match the walls.

And trim around the windows. Just painted MDF.

Now, in the quest for more light, I planned on running a continuous strip of 4' LED fixtures around the shelves. I wasnt happy with how the chain mounts worked, so I drilled out the rivet on each end and added a small piece of aluminum angle with a new rivet. This allowed me to mount them to the underside of the shelves.

The lights are controlled by three switches, one for each wall. Each light can also be turned on/off at the light itself, which is good, as there was TOO MUCH LIGHT. I only ever turn on every 2nd fixture now. Each fixture is 6000 lumen, i mounted 32 of them. That's now 72 000 + 32x6000 = 264 000 lumens. (~20A of LED light total, 2500W)

Maybe I went overboard?

A heater was added. This little guy actually keeps the garage pretty warm while you are working.

I also added a large power fister fan. This guy was on clearance for $30, oscillates, has three speeds and absolutely moves air. Later I ended up painting the tips of the metal blades yellow, to mimic the turbo prop planes this thing sounds like.... whuubuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Next, some vinyl baseboard to trim out the concrete to drywall transition. This stuff really sucks to put on.

Allright!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat that looks like it's coming together really nicely. I love how many bajillion outlets there are. Too much light seems like the right amount, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Never too many outlets or too much light in a workshop!

I had three rows of 4' single "tube" LED fixtures daisy chained end-to-end with butt connectors in my 2-car garage, I think 4 in each row, plus a few more in key spots like directly over the workbench, and off to the sides of the opened garage door to make up for the ones in the ceiling covered by said open door. Turned out a continuous string of them was a LOT of light. A few of them burned out (because cheap) and I just replace those particular lights with a link cable and still have plenty of light. Ended up moving some around so that there's 3 in each row now, but spread out further along the length of the garage. Plus one each perpendicular over the toolbox and washer/dryer (which I wish was NOT in my garage, but 1960s house, eh?)

LED tech has definitely made getting better lighting so much cheaper and efficient, even the cheap stuff. Less heat, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Suburban Dad posted:

drat that looks like it's coming together really nicely. I love how many bajillion outlets there are. Too much light seems like the right amount, too.

The single duplex outlets were already there, and are separate 15A circuits along each wall. I added two 50a welder circuits, two 30a 240 heater circuits and then three shared neutral 20a/120/240 split. Those are the double duplex you see, left outlet is on one phase whereas right is on another phase.

60a went to the compressor shed, 30a for the hoists, two 15a for lighting, one 15a for the exhaust fan and two 15a for the garage door openers. Still have 8 slots left in the shop subpanel.

I certainly don't expect to be running everything at the same time, but I wanted the flexibility to not need extension cords or reconfiguration.