Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The only way this could be more awesome would be if that was a real page from the service manual. My first car was a BA 323f and I always wanted to put a KL-ZE in it...but then Soarers happened, so thanks for (mostly) completing my first dream engine swap.

Are KL-ZE's easy to find now? In the UK you could pull them from Mazda MX6's for next to nothing...not sure what cars came with them in other parts of the world.

I'm assuming you're going manual with this swap?

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This is a strange way to replace a waterpump, but I'm diggin it so far!

The best thing is that technically the water pump is being replaced!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Did you call the junkyard you took it to? Maybe they didn't shred it yet?

This would be my first call. doh!

If that doesn't work out, this part doesn't look to be too difficult to fabricate. With the engine in the correct place, you could make up a new bracket from steel sheet.

It would be far easier to find one, though! Time to trawl the MX3 clubs and start calling breakers!

Edit: The MX3 was not-so-uncommon here in the UK, there are a few breaking on eBay right now, I'd guess the part is the same. Worst case, I'd be able to buy and ship you one, but you'll probably end up paying $50 in shipping. I'll message some eBay sellers....

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 15, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Now, someone educate me on priming a power steering system.

What you do is pour in some fluid and then pray that the grinding sound stops after a few seconds.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

My concern is if I will have trouble with torque steer.

Torque steer is caused by many things, but I believe it's mostly down to FWD vehicles having mismatched drive shaft lengths, I'm not sure how having a different ratio rack will change things other than how much force it transmits back to you behind the wheel.

2.7 vs 3 doesn't sound like much, but if you have a "better" rack and it's not a total paint to replace, then go for it.

As for priming the pump, going in dry should be fine, the reservoir usually feeds the pump directly. Filling the tank may be enough to "prime" the pump through gravity alone. Remove the belt and spin it for a while by hand if you want to be sure. One thing to note is that PS pumps suck down fluid quite quickly, even at idle speed, usually you will drain the first tank or two in a few seconds. The solution is to crank it for a few seconds at a time and then top it up (or jam a funnel/bottle in the tanks fill hole). Worst case, it makes grindy noises while you pour in fluid and beg for it to stop.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just wondering, but if you happened to make an error like transposing some numbers completely loving up the tune will it be easy to find or a nightmare? Seems like an awful lot of opportunity to make a mistake in there :ohdear:

Yeah, I would be saving and making copies after every change if it were me :p

Awesome work on this. It's a huge amount of reverse engineering and learning for a comparatively small change overall (I imagine you've spent as much time on this, as on the mechanical part of the swap!)

What I've learnt from this is....if I ever buy another 323, I'll make sure the water pump has been changed recently :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Yay, someone is still reading, thanks for the compliment. I know most people probably are not too interested in the AC stuff.

I'm reading every post! This is one of my favourite build threads - the attention to detail and the time spent on things that most people would have given up on (those ECU tables, holy gently caress!)

I meant to comment earlier about the AC install - the fabrication work for the condenser looks great, the same sort of thing that the factory would do.

I love these motors, my first car was a BA 323f (not sure if ever made it to North America?), I always wanted to put a KL-ZE in it! I visited it again when looking for a Mazda motor to put in a RX8, but settled for the Jaguar/Ford V6 instead (which was derived from the KL engines!).

tl;dr: Great project, keep it up!

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 22, 2019