Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm a BF GTX guy, but I also have a sweet Grandma 323 (Wagon). I definitely approve of this thread, and might even do a KL swap on it in the future. Its so old the smog guys even in California are on autopilot and pass most anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I forgot you were doing this swap. I'm also stuffing a G series gearbox into a 323, but its a B6T from a Capri XR2 into my 87 323 wagon.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

What part number/vendor are you using for the axle seals on the transmission? For some reason I'm having issues finding decent ones for the G series box. Weirdest thing is one of mine is perfect, one is completely torn and trashed. I guess those intermediate shafts really treat their seals well...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ionn posted:

Our current 323 racer (which is doing it's final appearance in a 24h race in October, but we may not do anything with it before then) just has about 1.5-2 turns of spring cut off on all four corners, and the front sway bar seriously stiffened up (by welding angle iron along it for a bit). Handles like a gokart, problems are the rear wheels rub under compression, and it gets a bit twitchy or oversteers under braking. Last stint I drove in the last race (an 8h one) I completely ran out of rear pads, and I found the much reduced braking force just made it better. We probably just took a bit too much spring out, so another pair of less-molested springs could fix both issues.
That stint was basically the most fun I've ever had on track though. Too bad we had a crash early in the race, our pace during the rest of it was as good as the winners.

My 24 hours of LeMons (class winning!) Daihatsu Charade ran a set of $50 eBay coilovers with the springs reversed so you had the stiff one in the rear. Heh.

It worked amazingly, that thing had perfect off-throttle oversteer and ran the standard 'big' 18mm bar, I had a 13mm spare also for bad weather we never seemed to get. I have a 21mm Suspension Techniques hollow bar for the front of my BF Wagon and its honestly not that great, the BF GTX bar is the best over the Capri XR2 and base wagon bar. Its hard to get a rear bar for those and the wagon's one is already the biggest of the OEM bars. Addco makes a 19mm rear bar but its expensive for only 20% stiffer on a floppy 30 year old wagon.

Sgt Fox posted:

On the transmission itself, I used BECK/ARNLEY 0523520 for the output shaft seals.

The intermediate shaft is a bit of an odd one. No rebuild parts are listed. I used TIMKEN 710223 and TIMKEN 710224 for the seals and SKF 62062RSJ for the bearing. It took me a bit of cross referencing, as the forum posts online list the wrong parts.

Whoa, that's a bunch of great info! I'm hoping to get the swap going once I decide to either modify the early EFI harnesses the car has to work with the later ECU, or just make secondary harnesses with the CEL, idle control motor, boost light, etc pinned in.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 31, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My BF GTX, 91 Capri, and NA Miata were the same. The calipers are pretty much interchangeable too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Larrymer posted:

While I was reading that post all I could think of is "megasquirt." :v:

Early fuel injected stuff is pretty easy to do in MS.

I don't know much about the V6 stuff but the SOHC engines were at best bank fire, even earlier was batch.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I wonder if that software is what the guy who makes the BF/Capri chips uses, RocketChips is his username on the various BF board remanants.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I put a 01 V6 626 fifth gear in my B6T/G swapped BF wagon and dropped more than 500RPM, it originally was the Capri XR2 gear, so it makes it a lot nicer on the highway. My GTX gearbox has a weird fifth, I can't figure what it is and its not any of the options I found. I think it might actually be shorter, being around .8:1

Edit:is that a non-vacuum cruise control actuator? I need one of those, and the cruise computer that goes with it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I wish there was a way we could do a battle of the fast 323s, yours looks awesome and doing things with care and thought means it will last.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The MX3 GS trailing arms are fully boxed right? I swore there's a specific donor that is, I'd love to swap them into the BF. Also, is that block to compressor bracket aluminum or iron/steel? B6T BF is kinda nose heavy even in wagon form, I'd love to do easy changes to drop some weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Its like looking at a BG version of my BF adventures, fancy dome light and all.

I did a Capri XR-2 B6T swap into my BF 323 Wagon and with enough work have been able to have the legally smog in California (never doone according to Club Protege), and have been away from AI enough to not even remember your KL BG!.

I've been up-fitting it with parts from high trim 323s (like my GTXs) and the Hermosillo assembled BF based Mercury Tracers. I was able to put in the fancy dome light with map lights, and fit the rear hatch cargo light, which the US BF wagons come prewired for. You just have to attach the switch to the latch, cut the headliner (that was terrifying as they're wildly rare), and plug in the lamp. Cargo straps too, in the right one year only light blue.

I even saved the VECI and other labels from the Capri, funny that.