Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Blueguns and other molds are not available for every model customers may want supported so I am often left molding kydex around live units. Enter my new Kimber:

Fancy tin is fancy! But what about the contents?

???

oh

You may be asking yourselves why I would mold 300+ degree kydex around a live OC dispenser. Worry not, I'm ain't stupid. My wife is going to shoot me with it over the weekend and I will mold with the spent unit!

Anyway, pocket guns will get you killed. Vestigal sights, anemic chamberings, short effective ranges, lack of full firing grips, no provisions for optics. Failure to run a red dot will leave you in the dust. People die in the dust. If only I had a primary:

But so many confrontations take place in darkened conditions, the red dot isn't enough and weapon-mounted lights are necessary. Or your buddy will die barging in on you unannounced. Finding holster to fit detachable lights is a pain, if only manufacturers offered integral lights.

Now we're cookin'!

Reloadable with inexpensive-ish training cartridges, too!

The trigger on the fatass Mace unit is like an LEM from hell. Springy takeup in the first stage as the light activates and you overcome the trigger rebound spring. Then a wall as the plunger butts against the cartridge and presses the cartridge forward into the nozzle far enough to trip the spray. The wall in the trigger pull is actually quite heavy though a lightweight compared to a Piexon JPX. Manual safety that is intuitive enough in use.Sliding switch forward of the trigger guard is a release to open 'er up and reload/unload. Spray is conventional and will spritz as long as there is pressure in the cannister and the trigger is depressed. Oh, and the grip is not full but rather about the same length as a Glock 26 so expect to only get two fingers on it.

The whole unit, sans optic, is shorter in height and length than my USP compact. Fatter, though.

By the way, the little TRS-25 actually had enough adjustment range to sight in at about ten feet Though it does work better mounted on the cartridge shroud rather than frame. And I'm not sure it's a performance-enhancer. All the issues of learning to index on presentation in a way you aren't fishing to find the dot rather than just walking spray on target. That said, it does make proper placement of the spray notably easier at the farther end of its effective range. I would honestly consider a motion-activated Holosun red dot were I to ever carry this thing. You can still walk the spray up close and the dot does actually come in handy around ten feet.

So there you go, my two newest holster molds to expand my less-lethal support. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to remove the battery in the Mace gun 2.0 because the light is trigger-actuated. While not particularly bright by modern standards, it did make my son cover his eyes and turn his head in a little force-on-force session. Not a big fan of a "feature" that actuates by default and causes the target to take a defensive posture that is a standard training reaction to minimize a dose of OC. You'd want a prick to take the full dose in the eyes and nose. The light also has annoying programming to switch from steady beam to strobe with each press of the trigger. The strobe is a bit tame with a slow cycle but does make someone cover their face even more than the steady beam.

Before anyone starts mashing keyboards to mock the pistol shape of the Mace gun, it is absolutely easier to get hits to the eyes/nose/mouth than a conventional spray can. Particularly against an actual person whose head isn't staying politely still. Looking at the design and positive safety, there should also be less chance of ND than in standard cans. Yes, it is a fifty dollar unit but comes with one each live and training cartridges with spares readily available on Amazon. While the Piexon JPX is a much better unit in the pistol-form world, this is way cheaper and has no minimum range.

The Kimber Pepper Blaster 2 will get a proper post after I've been hit. A lot of people turn up their noses at them but Trek from MDFI has advocated for their use. I'll hold off any opinion until I have personal experience.

E: https://youtu.be/WxhTbxMSvT0

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

I'll never understand why someone voluntarily gets sprayed.

I've had to do it twice, 2nd time because I lost my pepper spray letter.

Literally feels like bobbing for apples in a fry vat - twice. It was at that moment I vowed to shoot anyone who pepper sprayed me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

SirDrinksAlot posted:

I'll never understand why someone voluntarily gets sprayed.

I've had to do it twice, 2nd time because I lost my pepper spray letter.

Literally feels like bobbing for apples in a fry vat - twice. It was at that moment I vowed to shoot anyone who pepper sprayed me.

It's a long story but I once accidentally snorted pepper spray as a college resident advisor. This was only because a drunk guy thought he was playing with a dildo and started convulsing. It wasn't a dildo. It was a pink canister of pepper spray without any markings. I wish I thought about this before I held it up to my face, pressed the button, and inhaled.

I then proceeded to vomit into a trash can in front of my ex, solely because of the dildo pepper spray.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

why were you trying to sniff the thing from up the guy's rear end though

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Shima Honnou posted:

why were you trying to sniff the thing from up the guy's rear end though

Now is a good time to mention it was on a dance floor and not up a man butt.

Oh, hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I was gonna say the pepperspray prob wasnt as bad as the pinkeye.

• Locked thread