Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Flaky guy can't not be her maternal grandfather. It's the only explanation for why they keep mentioning and referencing a dude we've ostensibly never met

He's L. Ron Hubbard, the flaky guy ix Xenu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the first three episodes but was kind of cold on four. It was a little too much of more of the same and it makes me worried that they are going to drag things out too much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like the actual running away won't happen until the end of the season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I can see them running off and the big confrontation with the Pride being the last few episodes.

Though I could also see them stretching it out two seasons, depending how much they change. Have everyone run in the finale and have next year build up to the confrontation and twist from the comics. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to this, BKV's second arc involved a lot of Marvel characters they wouldn't be able to use, and after that is the lovely Whedon stuff I hope they drop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Flaky guy can't not be her maternal grandfather. It's the only explanation for why they keep mentioning and referencing a dude we've ostensibly never met

I thought it was pretty clear that flaky guy and Leslie were loving, what with her getting naked and his genital regions lighting up.

Not that that rules out father/daughter incest, I just think that’s darker than they’re likely to go.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Majesdarian's or however you spell it live long rear end lives afaik, so I imagine he's just her partner from wherever they're from, whatever the Dean backstory ends up being since they seen the focal point for Gibborim now. I feel like Karo's dad is just a human and Leslie and flaky dude have been at this for a while.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Showrunners have said that none of the parents have powers, Tina Minoru and the Staff of One aside, for what that’s worth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't remember much about the comics, but I don't think the twist, I assume you're talking about the BIG twist, will happen based on what we've seen.

Was the guy Tina hired the one who informed the Yorkes had the ranch? The way they were talking sounded like he was hired to kill them; "its too bad, they seemed like good people" suggests something more sinister than just looking into their finances.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

twistedmentat posted:

I don't remember much about the comics, but I don't think the twist, I assume you're talking about the BIG twist, will happen based on what we've seen.

It's one of the only things that will piss me off if they drop, so I hope they find a way to work it in and make sense.

Totally forgot the 'rents are supposed to be powerless. Flaky dude better be Karo's alien daddy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I can't imagine it not being part of the show. The kids are obviously not going to be taking The Leapfrog to The Hostel anytime soon, but if you're going to adapt Runaways, "The Big Twist" is kind of important.

Could be a great cliffhanger if they know for sure there's going to be a second season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're not running away this season, or if they are, they're not doing it in any significant way that involves the development of a home base or the Leapfrog or whatever. It's a practical concern. They've spent too much on sets for the kid's houses, they need to get their money's worth out of them. I don't mind though.

(What I'm not looking forward to the revelation that Alex was kidnapped by his dad's old "friend" who held up that digsite. That scene where the guy rolled up in the second episode was terrible. Silly and posturing and deeply unbelievable. You're not Riverdale, show, you can't get away with that kind of poo poo.)

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Chase's mom used the mind control drug on his father behind everyone's back right? The others talked about the last time they used it the person not being quite right again. It would explain him not hitting chase for so long and the weird delusions and not being able to fix his inventions correctly. It might also explain why she was so weirded out over the idea of leaving him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Implementing The Big Twist from the comics would be super lame for the current incarnation, casting, and writing of the character whom The Big Twist happens to, and also everyone would be seeing it from a mile away. I really hope they play it straight. The Secondary Big Twist (which nobody is wondering about if they're doing) would, I think, actually tonally work much better and doesn't really gently caress up the dynamics of the Runaways moving forward as badly as The Big Twist can and does, considering how much more they've already deepened that character.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Implementing The Big Twist from the comics would be super lame for the current incarnation, casting, and writing of the character whom The Big Twist happens to, and also everyone would be seeing it from a mile away. I really hope they play it straight. The Secondary Big Twist (which nobody is wondering about if they're doing) would, I think, actually tonally work much better and doesn't really gently caress up the dynamics of the Runaways moving forward as badly as The Big Twist can and does, considering how much more they've already deepened that character.

Remind me what the secondary one is again

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barry Convex posted:

Remind me what the secondary one is again

Gert is killed

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That would be a legitimate shock considering it happens about 20 issues later.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Inkspot posted:

That would be a legitimate shock considering it happens about 20 issues later.

Wait really? I thought that happened in the same arc the first twist happens.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

No, it's pretty far off. End of BKV's run iirc.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I feel like nearly all the changes are good ones. The Pride getting much stronger characterization is great, Molly not being ten or whatever is a lot more practical. Chase feels a lot less one-note, not just because he's inventing the Fistigons (although that helps) but the way he interacts with Karolina gives him a lot more to go on. The Staff of One requiring Nico to cut herself was always pretty weird. The only thing that irks me is the way Gert's written--making her an SJW is great in concept, but in execution it just doesn't ring true somehow. Like you could tell in the comics BKV was familiar with the kind of person he was writing, here it doesn't really ring true as much.

Tonally it's a lot heavier than the comic. The comic had lots of one liners and moments like Molly getting excited about her strength, but there's not really a whole lot of that here. Not as fond of that change.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, I think it's just not happening.

In the comics, Alex "running" everything was set up by Alex's introductory scene being him commanding the guys who went on to be Pride 2.0, whereas he they made a point of showing him playing video games alone. In general it played up Alex's isolation from everyone else, to the point where they almost didn't even come when he invited them. Also, Chase is the one who initiated getting everyone out of the game room; if Alex was playing everyone the way he had been in the comics, that would have been him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope they still do the twist, and I think they will. With how much more time they have to develop things I just imagine them getting that character to that place in a different manner, especially since the Pride are being fleshed out more and have had quite a few changes.

It's just such a standout, defining moment of the series and it would be a drat shame to lose it.

e: I would also settle for any other one of the kids being an eventual mole, too. tho preferably not my gaylien. switching it up so the comic readers get a shock could be cool.

at any rate I think it's silly to write it off as a done deal that Alex won't betray them in the show. they haven't even run away, yet. plenty of time to lay the seeds for him or one of the others to go to their parents' side

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah, I think it's just not happening.

In the comics, Alex "running" everything was set up by Alex's introductory scene being him commanding the guys who went on to be Pride 2.0, whereas he they made a point of showing him playing video games alone. In general it played up Alex's isolation from everyone else, to the point where they almost didn't even come when he invited them. Also, Chase is the one who initiated getting everyone out of the game room; if Alex was playing everyone the way he had been in the comics, that would have been him.

Buuut: Chase's decision to go raid the liquor cabinet would, I think, be a fairly typical and probably expected reaction from the guy. It'd be something easily accounted for, particularly when the only other option was cold (and if I heard correctly, mostly vegetarian??) pizza and warm soda.

Also, in terms of your first point: Alex is a different character in this version, but he's still a villain. Dollars to donuts he killed Amy, and made it look like a suicide. The two of them wandered into the Pride's murder dungeon, Amy freaked out and didn't see things Alex's way, so he murdered her. This is his do-over.

Look, that's my theory anyway. Probably incredibly stupid.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Switching it to Chase would be fine. He’s smarter than he was in the comics here and it’s not inconceivable that he would be on his parent’s side in this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, in terms of your first point: Alex is a different character in this version, but he's still a villain. Dollars to donuts he killed Amy, and made it look like a suicide. The two of them wandered into the Pride's murder dungeon, Amy freaked out and didn't see things Alex's way, so he murdered her. This is his do-over.

Look, that's my theory anyway. Probably incredibly stupid.

I'm curious about how you came to that conclusion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What's the over/under on how many episodes until Nico figures out the snowflake is a cypher for what's really written in the diary?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I'm curious about how you came to that conclusion.

A combo of genre stuff (Amy died under mysterious circumstances, suggesting some sort of mystery), circumstantial stuff (Amy was Alex's best friend, Alex didn't go to Amy's funeral, Alex seems motivated by Amy's death, Alex is a villain in the comics ) and dramatic stuff (the show is throwing up shipping plot markers between Alex and Nico which would spectacularly implode if Alex killed her sister).

I mean, none of that is definitive evidence (though, you know, it probably wouldn't be) but I still think it's gonna happen.

(At least until the next episode comes along and I have a new theory.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The showrunners were on The Writers Panel podcast, they mentioned that Marvel tv didn't want there to be magic on the show (odd since Agents of Shield did it just fine) and that Hulu asked them to tone down some of the larger science fiction elements. They also said that the sacrifice was originally supposed to happen at the end of act one in episode one, but Hulu asked for it to be moved, which they were grateful for, since networks usually want to rush the story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's just weird. Though I feel like AoS is early enough its not as tightly controlled by Marvel TV, who really has some weird ideas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds a lot like how comic book media used to be. What if Superman never wore his suit and fought a giant spider?

The show seems to be pretty good so far, to be fair.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

karolina dean, disaster lesbian

The hug with Nico and her reactions, then to Alex and Nico making out, superb

Also, some other stuff happened, who knows

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

On a more serious non-gay note, the show and the comics are (duh) obviously very very different stories, and that's fine, since the show seems to be doing fine on it's own.

The parents getting fleshed out more is better television, but I feel like them not being fleshed out as much/being more one dimensional was a pretty important part of the comics. Like the thing the comics do really well is that it's ultimately about teenage anxiety about growing up and being in that weird space where you're not a child anymore and you understand on some level how the adult world works, but you don't really fully grasp the motivations or why some things work the way they do, and how alienating that can be. The Pride are Grown Ups doing Bad Things for Bad Reasons, and anything they might tell themselves aside is rationalizing that Grown Ups do. The Pride aren't just the characters parents, they are The Adults. Like even the grown ups who are not with the Pride are still pretty much bad guys or non-actors. Because they're part of that Grown Up World. The rebellion of the main characters is about that alienation, it's just conveyed in comic book heroes vs. villains way. Are we talking about the Alex Spoiler? Because that also is a big part of that whole theme, Alex being the one who Grew Up.

I think the first book (and maybe the second book?) was really really thematically tight and it's part of why they're one of the few comics I legit enjoyed reading. The show is much more of a drama, and that's cool and it's fun, I just think it's important to be clear-eyed that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You would probably like Gillen's Young Avengers.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
That was a good analysis, Ambivalent (and so was your second post).

I just like how Darius was completely unfazed by a rapid succession of assorted superpowers.

Also things got a little Heroes at the end with that future vision of LA in ruins huh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

You would probably like Gillen's Young Avengers.

This better be one of the 20 post avengers 4 movies that is being planned.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gillen's YA is so loving good

Also after this episode I really don't think there's any way The Twist happens, it's just too out of character for the person who it happens to at this point.

But yeah I'm getting sorta tired of the show not letting the Runaways...run...away yet. It's become a thing of just waiting for the other shoe to drop at this point. I thought the initial moving away from doing the running away was for (good) worldbuilding and scene-setting, but now that I feel like I know all the characters more or less as well as I could have there's nothing really keeping the teens from running away, and it feels like the show is dragging its feet about doing so.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 6, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I will say this was probably one of the weaker episodes just for me, and I do wish they would get to the fireworks factory, but at the very least they've gotten the reveals of everybody's unique things to the rest of the group out of the way here. That, and the character dynamics are still strong, which is good because it's the best part of the show.

Wondering where they're going with Chase though. It's gonna be really weird if he ends up totally reconciling with and forgiving a dad who explicitly physically abused him what doesn't seem like all that long ago. (Comics spoilers) Based on what I've seen so far it almost seems like they're setting up him instead of Alex.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm quite enjoying this so far.

Arist posted:

Wondering where they're going with Chase though. It's gonna be really weird if he ends up totally reconciling with and forgiving a dad who explicitly physically abused him what doesn't seem like all that long ago. (Comics spoilers) Based on what I've seen so far it almost seems like they're setting up him instead of Alex.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They all have cool stuff and all but Amy actually gets to be Rita Repulsa looking like Neil Gaiman's Death and I bet her staff can conjure up a magical pet raptor as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Re:twist

Actually at this point it feels like they're turning all the parents. So they'll see the error of their ways and stop Julian McMahon's character from...living forever I guess? Though at this point not having their parents sacrifice people to elder gods for a place in paradise is becoming a real let down because I thought that was actually a fairly believable motivation without being sympathetic.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

Re:twist

Actually at this point it feels like they're turning all the parents. So they'll see the error of their ways and stop Julian McMahon's character from...living forever I guess? Though at this point not having their parents sacrifice people to elder gods for a place in paradise is becoming a real let down because I thought that was actually a fairly believable motivation without being sympathetic.

That's not the thing today's hip young Millennials want. Our PR department assures me they like edgy, realistic drama based on things that could really happen. Also, significant deviations from the source material.

Also, there was a glimpse of what might happen in the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

This show is real good, but holy poo poo that fight with Darius was not

• Locked thread