Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, just got my second rare blade ever. While I was just popping commons for expanding my mercenary force. On Rex. It was Adenine. This is, I think, probably mixed luck as I understand Rex has a terrible moveset with knuckles, as he does with the Ether Cannon I got earlier.

Is the Beast Core I got off that spider boss a plot core? If not, who is the best choice to pair it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ashsaber posted:

Well, just got my second rare blade ever. While I was just popping commons for expanding my mercenary force. On Rex. It was Adenine. This is, I think, probably mixed luck as I understand Rex has a terrible moveset with knuckles, as he does with the Ether Cannon I got earlier.

Is the Beast Core I got off that spider boss a plot core? If not, who is the best choice to pair it with?

It's an attack earth spear, most people put it on Rex but it's good all around, its affinity levels are plot gated so that is kinda annoying.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

One last thing, I promise. What's the quickest way to gain Affinity? I've got a couple Blades that just need a bunch of Affinity to unlock their last node and it seems to take forever to tick up.

Buy 40 of everything in Leftheria of whatever category is not favorite to avoid the dialog, and just keep hitting A. That should be about 3k trust every 7-8 mins or so. I went from 0-9800 in under 30 mins while reading, only restocking when a character was like Mmm Delicious.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I am in Chapter six, and I have not gotten any rare cool blades yet.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Can't find any word of an item duplication bug. Just wanna be done with this core grind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wulfric, Vess, Praxis, Kasandra, Sheba, and a couple others are available RNG-free. Well, Kassandra is slightly RNG but not really.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Forget item duplication. I have 40 rare cores and 99 common cores and I loving DREAD opening every single one of them, but the timer starts now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Forget item duplication. I have 40 rare cores and 99 common cores and I loving DREAD opening every single one of them, but the timer starts now.

Forget commons. Sell them and move on with your life.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

14 minutes for 40 rare cores, no rare blade drops. Selling the commons, time to farm legendaries. Only two 4-stars also

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is the only way to do that to take Pandoria off him?

Yes, the point is to spam the Ether Cannon abilities

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I just drew Ursula at 120 hours in game time on Chapter 9.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Duckula posted:

RIP beargirl

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The Ophion fight is like a showcase of every combat bug in this game.

Immune to break so you have to take all the break skills off your AI party members or they'll literally never switch blades. Has a shield move that basically insta-gibs anyone who attacks while its up so you have to either manually disengage from the fight or abuse an iframe to avoid the AI from killing itself.

And worst of all the fight is on the edge of a cliff so not only do you get zero healing potions, the AI will regularly fall off the edge to their deaths and there's nothing you can do about it. My tank falls off and dies, Rex gets aggro and eats a bunch of damage and dies, Nia comes trundling over to rez me - and somehow gets pushed off the edge by the tanks corpse respawning so we wipe. :argh:

Oh and you have to wait a good minute or more to start the fight again while the boss meanders around from his inaccessible spawn point.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does the effect from the break resistance down accessory stack? I've got it equipped to two characters but only one has an art with break.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Leathal posted:

The Ophion fight is like a showcase of every combat bug in this game.

Immune to break so you have to take all the break skills off your AI party members or they'll literally never switch blades. Has a shield move that basically insta-gibs anyone who attacks while its up so you have to either manually disengage from the fight or abuse an iframe to avoid the AI from killing itself.

And worst of all the fight is on the edge of a cliff so not only do you get zero healing potions, the AI will regularly fall off the edge to their deaths and there's nothing you can do about it. My tank falls off and dies, Rex gets aggro and eats a bunch of damage and dies, Nia comes trundling over to rez me - and somehow gets pushed off the edge by the tanks corpse respawning so we wipe. :argh:

Oh and you have to wait a good minute or more to start the fight again while the boss meanders around from his inaccessible spawn point.

The reason it's immune to break is probably only because the devs realized if you toppled it it would plummet instantly to the bottom of the map and die. I've killed at least three unique monsters that way

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Weaknesses are loving hilarious in this game. Was fighting the blob zombie monster near the end of chapter 8, the one that uses that cheap loving elemental bomb. got lucky and hit his Water weakness twice, the second one while he was at 60% health and he died in one hit.

potential spoiler in chapter 8: Is there anymore more to Malos saying all kinds of Monado arts as he's fighting? Is this literally the one tenuous connection to XC1? After being in the ruined city and seeing it's another "real world used to be a thing and now it's all hosed up" reality like XC1 I'm hoping this is still set in the same universe but am starting to think it won't be.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

^^^^^ just keep playing

Yeah but if it's immune to break then party AI should stop trying to inflict it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Xenoblade 2 is absolutely 10000% connected to Xenoblade 1. There is literally no question about it by anyone that's beaten the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if for the inevitable Switch iteration of Smash they will add Rex and Pyra individually or as an Ice Climbers style pair. I mean if Shulk made it in the last one at least one of the pair is likely to here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

Weaknesses are loving hilarious in this game. Was fighting the blob zombie monster near the end of chapter 8, the one that uses that cheap loving elemental bomb. got lucky and hit his Water weakness twice, the second one while he was at 60% health and he died in one hit.

potential spoiler in chapter 8: Is there anymore more to Malos saying all kinds of Monado arts as he's fighting? Is this literally the one tenuous connection to XC1? After being in the ruined city and seeing it's another "real world used to be a thing and now it's all hosed up" reality like XC1 I'm hoping this is still set in the same universe but am starting to think it won't be.

Did you not notice that his weapon was literally the Monado?

Also this is super in the same universe as XC1

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

I wonder if for the inevitable Switch iteration of Smash they will add Rex and Pyra individually or as an Ice Climbers style pair. I mean if Shulk made it in the last one at least one of the pair is likely to here.

Give me KOS-MOS

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks, will keep playing to find out more

chumbler posted:

I'd rather have Zeke since he'll be a decent bigsword fill-in when Cloud or Ike doesn't return.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The reason it's immune to break is probably only because the devs realized if you toppled it it would plummet instantly to the bottom of the map and die. I've killed at least three unique monsters that way

Was one of them "Flaming Kevin" or something like that? I accidentally sent a unique bird monster falling out of the sky somehow and I guess it got toppeled to death because the victory music for slaying a Named Monster played and his tombstone appeared. Poor fucker had no chance.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've toppled tons of flying monsters to death. It's great when it actually hits ground far below because if you look you can see the 9999999 damage pop up when it lands.

I managed to knock Bana's dad off a cliff :rip:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Zeke in Smash please but only if he gets that 'gold pine resin' driver art as his neutral B

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ike is absolutely returning in Smash. He's quite literally the most popular character in Fire Emblem, and he's like the only slow sword bruiser on the roster.

Rex just has more variety options for moves since he has a grapple shot, and people are going to complain anyway about more swords because they're going to add 10 more FE characters.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Duckula posted:

Same thing happened to me, friend. She's really cute but it's like, the game is almost over!

emoji posted:

Buy 40 of everything in Leftheria of whatever category is not favorite to avoid the dialog, and just keep hitting A. That should be about 3k trust every 7-8 mins or so. I went from 0-9800 in under 30 mins while reading, only restocking when a character was like Mmm Delicious.

Sounds boring but I guess less boring than gaining Affinity through fighting or Merc Missions. Thanks!

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
If you're grinding affinity with pouch items make sure all three of the equipped blades actually need it.

(Accidentally left two fully unlocked blades equipped when grinding out Praxis :haw: )

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I had a minor heart attack when I realized I hadn't saved in 4 hours and all I'd been doing for the entire time was menial tasks while half-paying attention. Of course I had no problems saving but having a game that can crash, even if very rarely, with no autosave is just so bad.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I beat the final boss with a game file time of just under 100 hours. I skipped the final series of cutscenes. For the last hours of gameplay, the plot was dragging on for so long that my Switch was going to sleep mid-cutscene and honestly, I never really enjoyed any components of the story. I just want to keep exploring and battling monsters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So Zeke is a final fantasy parody right? All those belts and gestures and art names. He's amazing.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I see the tradition of implementing lovely half-assed mini-games into RPGs is being kept alive in Xenoblades. How necessary is it to play Tiger Tiger and keep Poppi built up, or can Tora safely be taken out of the party early and not have to deal with the mini-game at all?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

nessin posted:

I see the tradition of implementing lovely half-assed mini-games into RPGs is being kept alive in Xenoblades. How necessary is it to play Tiger Tiger and keep Poppi built up, or can Tora safely be taken out of the party early and not have to deal with the mini-game at all?

My understanding is you only need to bother with Tiger Tiger if you want to make Poppi and Tora into god killers, but otherwise they are perfectly serviceable at a base level.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chronojam posted:

So Zeke is a final fantasy parody right? All those belts and gestures and art names. He's amazing.

could be since Nomura did designs for a few characters, though not Zeke---just ones like Jin or Malos I think

nessin posted:

I used Tora as a tank mainly when I didn't have any TNK blades to put on the others, but he functions well even if you don't grind the minigame. He's naturally spongy and tanky and so are the natural Blade arts that his Poppibots learn. You can always put Aux Cores for Blockrate on them, too. He's never going to be a big damage dealer at all, just a wall that soaks up aggro. When I was comfortable with the 4th and 5th characters getting Tank blades and better items, I hardly used Tora.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Not specifically. He looks like a pretty generic cool guy design from the 2000s or something. His art names kinda sound like Tales Series moves to me (but they are also just a reference to anything with hugely long and specific move names like Mecha anime), and the overly showy attitude + proclaiming to have phenomenal hidden powers is a pretty popular trope these days. You could say he casts a wide net.

Oh, and his screen shatter battle transition is also just something that was very in in RPGs of the past decade or two.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Chronojam posted:

It’s a very specific japanese cultural thing called chuunin or chounin or something like that with grade school kids who think they’re tremendous badasses with untapped potential, closest western analogue would be a edgelord

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Except in this case it sticks because Ozykiars or whatever can back it up

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

nessin posted:

There's basically three paths you can take:

1) Ditch Tora entirely once you get your second tank
2) Ignore Tiger Tiger entirely and just leave Poppy as a tank, all the extra poo poo you can beat the game without (same with aux cores on pretty much every character) but you'll eventually need to bench him against the postgame superbosses
3) Do 8~ hours of Tiger Tiger to make Tora capable of soloing all content in the game once you get access to chapter 8

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Where's the 4th option

which is "occasionally play the game to get some parts for Poppi whenever new stuff unlocks"

of course, this option is not viable if you hate it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Where's the 4th option

which is "occasionally play the game to get some parts for Poppi whenever new stuff unlocks"

of course, this option is not viable if you hate it

Because if people ask for advice usually I like to give them an answer that isn't "just do whatever you feel like" because if they wanted to do that they would have just done it and not asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nomura designed all the Torna characters. Jin, Malos, Akhos, etc. Take one good look at their eyes and the way they speak. Then remember all those kingdom hearts cutscenes.