Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Sunning posted:

Despite being on sale for years, neither Xenoblade Chronicles 1 nor Xenoblade Chronicles X were ever listed as a global million seller by Nintendo. XC2 has outsold them within a month.

It's very possible XC1 hit the 1 million mark across the Wii, 3DS and WiiU virtual console iterations but I'm sure it's hard to track all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

To be fair, most of my friends are seriously aching for a classic JRPG and the Switch has been a bit light on the brand-new-content so far. Octopath Traveler is going to clean house on this front.

Not to say it isn't a good game, and it's got some improvements over the previous games. But they also made some baffling steps backward, like with the lack of cosmetic changes from armor.

I enjoyed the game and I'll be looking with a curious but cautious eye at their next offering, but I couldn't actually recommend XBC2 to my friends. Without an Internet Support Group warning me about the facepalms and how to deal with them, I wouldn't've been able to appreciate the good through the bad.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Taear posted:

It's completely not worth getting. Unless you plan on killing superbosses and stuff post game maybe? I really can't see a reason for wasting so much time. Same goes for the more tedious blade quests.

Yes, I was assuming you cared about postgame stuff. If you don't, don't waste your time. That said, you can fairly quickly farm up her cooking late game by equipping a couple agronomy blades and repeatedly hitting the 3 things in the farm with the ardun in gormott. You'll get stuff to make 50 foods or whatever in no time. Note that at least after level 2 of food, you get 2x per cooking, so you only need to cook 25 times or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've been hitting post-game superbosses and I haven't bothered with Pyra's stupid cooking.

Hell I haven't bothered having Rex in the party at all! Who needs the Aegis? I sure don't!

Hammer Bro. posted:

To be fair, most of my friends are seriously aching for a classic JRPG and the Switch has been a bit light on the brand-new-content so far. Octopath Traveler is going to clean house on this front.

Not to say it isn't a good game, and it's got some improvements over the previous games. But they also made some baffling steps backward, like with the lack of cosmetic changes from armor.

I enjoyed the game and I'll be looking with a curious but cautious eye at their next offering, but I couldn't actually recommend XBC2 to my friends. Without an Internet Support Group warning me about the facepalms and how to deal with them, I wouldn't've been able to appreciate the good through the bad.

I have a bunch of friends with a much higher anime tolerance than I have, so I've recommended the hell out of this game to them! :v: I'm really glad it has done so well. It's a good game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it have issues? Oh, you bet it does! I have still enjoyed my time with it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Taear posted:

I feel like all three games have pretty big holes and problems in them and since they're likely to throw in a bunch of new mechanics in the next one I'm sure that won't change!
At least they're fixing them with patches though, I'm really impressed by that.

I didn't play X1 but I stopped XCX after getting tired of all the stupid little annoyances. And yeah, the patches help a lot with that but I still feel X2 was better from the get go

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Silver Falcon posted:

I've been hitting post-game superbosses and I haven't bothered with Pyra's stupid cooking.

Hell I haven't bothered having Rex in the party at all! Who needs the Aegis? I sure don't!

I have a bunch of friends with a much higher anime tolerance than I have, so I've recommended the hell out of this game to them! :v: I'm really glad it has done so well. It's a good game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it have issues? Oh, you bet it does! I have still enjoyed my time with it.

I want to make this my next game after Zelda. I liked XB1 quite a bit. Are these steps backwards mostly the story quality or the gameplay? Because I liked XB1 gameplay quite a bit

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I want to make this my next game after Zelda. I liked XB1 quite a bit. Are these steps backwards mostly the story quality or the gameplay? Because I liked XB1 gameplay quite a bit

The story is garbage. It's hilarious, and highly amusing garbage, but it is definitely garbage.

I would put the overall battle system as better than the original game. There's a lot more going on, and if you like making Big Numbers fly around, oh boy is this the game for you!

That said there are a lot of highly questionable design decisions.... some of which have been addressed in patches but a lot of which have not. I would say if you really like diving deep into battle mechanics and customization and don't mind grinding... then this is abolutely the game for you! There are plenty of systems to sink your teeth into!

If you're kind of meh on that sort of thing... well then you still might like it if you like running around in huge gorgeous environments and listening to good quality music?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just to be clear you mean objectively garbage or garbage compared to XB1? I think most JRPG stories are garbage while XB1 was okay, saved by some decently fun British voice acting, and the characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The story stretches its entire story which for most games would be only their first half over 60+ hours and about 5-10 hours in every cutscene that is main story becomes teeth grindingly repetitive

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The story is stupid but it's a fun stupid and as long as you're not the sort of person who picks apart every little thing when you watch a movie, like bitching about how star wars laser weapons make no physics sense, you will have fun with it.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just to be clear you mean objectively garbage or garbage compared to XB1? I think most JRPG stories are garbage while XB1 was okay, saved by some decently fun British voice acting, and the characters.

I had a lot of fun with the game, but the story is low tier JRPG bad: if the gameplay/world/music hadn't been so satisfying I would have turned it off after the first 10 hours. I think it was going for a Grandia 1 sort of feel, but it fell waaaaaay off the mark.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Barudak posted:

The story stretches its entire story which for most games would be only their first half over 60+ hours and about 5-10 hours in every cutscene that is main story becomes teeth grindingly repetitive

You know, now that you mention it (and I'm not sure if this is what you meant) the story definitely has been moving a lot more slowly than the first game. I'm in chapter 7 and I was kind of expecting by this point to have something upended like XC1 does at numerous points. But so far, while the world has expanded in my eyes we've been mostly moving toward the same destination the whole time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

You know, now that you mention it (and I'm not sure if this is what you meant) the story definitely has been moving a lot more slowly than the first game. I'm in chapter 7 and I was kind of expecting by this point to have something upended like XC1 does at numerous points. But so far, while the world has expanded in my eyes we've been mostly moving toward the same destination the whole time.

Its what I mean. The main goal doesnt change and no new information that alters the stakes is gained until near chapter 7/8 and by then the game is ending so you end up with a final dungeon that compresses the remaining narrative to wrap it up. In the interim to that point the game basically stalls you out as much as it can; Vandham, the thief kids, and Elpys basically just exist to make it take longer to get to what for most games would be the Second Act Twist.

It doesnt help that boss fights that end with you losing reinforce the feeling that your party makes no narrative progress

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Eh, kinda both? Like, I've seen worse stories in JRPGs. XBC2's story is at least funny garbage. I'm serious, there were a lot of parts that just had me cackling like a madwoman with how ridiculous they are. And there is plenty of British, so don't worry about that!

If you find B-movie plots entertaining and like laughing at them, this game is extremely your jam!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

socialsecurity posted:

Does blade "trust" have a different translation in Japanese because getting characters who have had their blades their whole lives and having their "trust" start at 0 is a bit silly, as is getting blades who are just upgraded versions of old blades and having their trust be reset.

I'm playing the Japanese version and the word they use is 信頼度 which would translate literally to something like "degree of trust," so it's still silly there too.

Taear posted:

I do wonder how it worked for them when playtesting. Do they expect you not to get many blades? Or to grind for ages?
Do they think you'll do all the affinity trees or is it just something to faff around with? Who knows!

It feels like the developers wanted a varied set of experiences with the game between players, and also allow for the game to be open-ended in terms of content they engage with. It doesn't feel like the interface is well-designed for players who want to min/max or be completionists. You can accumulate a lot of blades, but the interfaces for managing them become very tedious.

Blade selection on the mission screen should be flipped. Instead of scrolling through blades you should be choosing the mission requirement you'd like to fill and then have it show you only the blades that fit that criteria. For choosing blades that don't fit any of the mission requirements they could just have a 'No requirement' option that would show you your full list of blades like it does now.

The general blade mangement screen should also have more options for sorting and it should be faster to dismiss blades.

I really wish the UI designers had taken a look at what Persona 5 did because that game has similar UI challenges with managing personas, and it's handled very well there. I find most of the menus in XC2 to be very annoying and I wish they were all snappier. The only menu I like is the item screen because it's a very usable flat list with lots of options for sorting and it's easy to find the item you want by scrolling through the categories. The irony is that's probably one of the least-used menus in the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got Zenobia, after asking my cat to give me all his good juju. I don't know either. Mad that it took so long but glad that I can finally finish up all the quests!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
XC2's story is a lot like a B-movie. If you can watch a crappy movie and laughgroan when appropriate you'll enjoy it. I kind of rate it like Fire Emblem or Tales games where the main story is terrible, but the characters are enjoyable. It's a lot of fun, and once you beat the game it's got kind of a pokemony postgame where you can just kind of take your time and take things at your own pace. Honestly I feel like the sidequests needed to be portioned out better, there's a lot of lower level quests that you're going to miss until you're way overleveled.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I liked the story, it was fine. the characters are really well done

I think it's just failing in comparison to XB1 which was one of the best games ever made, kind of a big shadow there

Barudak posted:

Its what I mean. The main goal doesnt change and no new information that alters the stakes is gained until near chapter 7/8 and by then the game is ending so you end up with a final dungeon that compresses the remaining narrative to wrap it up. In the interim to that point the game basically stalls you out as much as it can; Vandham, the thief kids, and Elpys basically just exist to make it take longer to get to what for most games would be the Second Act Twist.

It doesnt help that boss fights that end with you losing reinforce the feeling that your party makes no narrative progress

stop grinding your teeth into dust every second someone isn't laser-focused on the goal and just enjoy the ride

i admit the finale is a bit compressed but i don't think everything beforehand was worthless because things weren't constantly being upended

E: also I never really felt like things were meandering, probably because I did a shitload of meandering on my own so there were huge gaps between story scenes where i was just loving around and getting murdered by giant birds

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

XC2's story is a lot like a B-movie. If you can watch a crappy movie and laughgroan when appropriate you'll enjoy it. I kind of rate it like Fire Emblem or Tales games where the main story is terrible, but the characters are enjoyable. It's a lot of fun, and once you beat the game it's got kind of a pokemony postgame where you can just kind of take your time and take things at your own pace. Honestly I feel like the sidequests needed to be portioned out better, there's a lot of lower level quests that you're going to miss until you're way overleveled.

the level curve of the game is actually fairly well-done right up until mor ardain where the monster levels are high but the game expects you to be like 5 levels lower for some reason

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Finally got the jerk in the art store in Theosir to give me his deed, so there's nothing left to do until the next DLC.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 2, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

you may want to spoilertag your picture

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh hey im at the postgame, might as well hunt for this ursula everyone says is so great

*proceeds to get literally every single other rare blade, none of which are wind/ice, while using truth boosters*

thanks video game

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ometeotl posted:

Finally got the jerk in the art store in Theosir to give me his deed, so there's nothing left to do until the next DLC.

did you get rank S10 for every blade? :colbert:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Yinlock posted:

oh hey im at the postgame, might as well hunt for this ursula everyone says is so great

*proceeds to get literally every single other rare blade, none of which are wind/ice, while using truth boosters*

thanks video game

The game is showing you mercy

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

glassyalabolas posted:

did you get rank S10 for every blade? :colbert:

Some of them, while grinding trust for others.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ajkalan posted:

The game is showing you mercy

i did laugh out loud when i was only missing kos-mos and ursula and kos-mos shows up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ursula's lv 3 special is really great. It hits like 15 times and each individual hit can cause blowdown, giving it an insanely high success rate. Unless the enemy is guarding or launched you are almost always guaranteed to get the blowdown effect which is great. I have Nia with Dromarch, Floren and Ursula and she is insanely good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ursula is a fantastic healer, but you can leave her at level 4 if you want to.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
There are multiple, multiple people as Monolith that need to be beaten with a textbook on UI/UX best practices.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FrantzX posted:

There are multiple, multiple people as Monolith that need to be beaten with a textbook on UI/UX best practices.

i'd go for whoever decided the gacha thing was a good idea first

like I get what they were trying for, to make every play-through unique, but in practice it's just a huge slog

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FrantzX posted:

That's too far!

We just need whoever signed off on, or created, Ursula's grinding requirements and the gatchapon guy. We beat them as a warning to the rest, everyone goes away happy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ursula drop already

if not for me, then so poor arduran can rest in peace without me constantly shaking him down for prizes

e: how i'd fix it is make all the rare blades story/quest/hidden treasure chest rewards, do away with commons altogether, and make overdrives buyable(but expensive)

it would incentivize exploration instead of raising a super cow to beat it like a core crystal pinata

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 2, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

Interview with the president. Xenoblade 2 was understaffed because over half the team was working on Zelda BOTW. Maybe 40% of the crew worked on the game, including 3 programmers that were gone during that time (He specifically cited the UI problem to this).

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Tae posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

Interview with the president. Xenoblade 2 was understaffed because over half the team was working on Zelda BOTW. Maybe 40% of the crew worked on the game, including 3 programmers that were gone during that time (He specifically cited the UI problem to this).

Interesting article. To note, as well, they outsourced a bunch and revised what they bought when it was submitted.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Tae posted:

God damnit, Link.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bird Law posted:

God damnit, Link.

Well, exCUUUSE me, Aegis!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Another reason for me to never finish BotW I guess

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Sean posted:

Well, exCUUUSE me, Aegis!

heh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

So both games having baffling menuing and design decisions is because they share a tainted pool of kinship, makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Jesus christ, would it have killed them to just have the Noppons speak in regular English.

I just tune out anything they say at this point because it's so grating. It's not cute when literally every other word is some sort of mangled English phrase.